Macross in Star Wars dvds

I was watching the bonus disc that came with my star wars dvd box set and noticed a wall scroll of Minmay in the background.

Good eye! This has actually been noticed before. But, hey, it's been a long time since it was mentioned. So no harm done.

H

Actually, if you watch the special features on the DVDs of many effects heavy films, you'll often see much memorabilia of anime, sci-fi, and fantasy on and around the desks of most SFX people. I've seen Macross, Akira, Star Wars, Superman, Batman, and a host of other memorabilia scattered across the rooms and desks of workers on such DVD features from films like The Incredibles, X-Men, Matrix, and many others. It's fun seeing that stuff pop up. It's interesting to learn what inspires people.

Cool that those guys are Macross fans, but isn't that wall scroll a bootleg?

Uh, criticizing someone for having bottleg product on Macross World? That's the pot calling the kettle black... :lol:

:blink:

Graham will eat your soul for that comment. There are tons fo people around here that won't buy a single unliscenced Macross product.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, to have a bootleg of something would imply that there was an original to have been copied from, right?

Yet many/most of us have the HK DYRL and M0 discs, and many also got the HK M7 box sets. :lol:

Joons valk anyone?

Granted I would much rather have legitimate releases of all of Macross. I wouldn't buy M7 again though.

And I paid full price for the SDF boxes when Animeigo had them on preorder years ago, and I scoured until I found my Macross: The Complete 3-CD Set.

Anime merchandise even shows up on some TV shows in bedrooms. It's mainstream now.

Edited by Anubis

Well, to have a bootleg of something would imply that there was an original to have been copied from, right?

Not really, at least not in this case. The image could've been lifted from some other artwork and then adapted for wallscrolls.

I'd still like a real answer to my original question, though. <_<

Cool that those guys are Macross fans, but isn't that wall scroll a bootleg?

I have that one, too. How can you tell? Are all of them with that design bootlegs?

I believe almost all wall scrolls are bootlegs. It's my understanding that they're not normally something made in Japan.