Sony Playstation 3 (PS3)!

ps3_screen005.jpg

ps3_screen006.jpg

ps3_screen001.jpg

ps3_screen002.jpg

ps3_screen003.jpg

ps3_screen004.jpg

E3 2005: PS3 Tech Specs

More numbers than you can shake a slide rule at.

by Tal Blevins

May 16, 2005 -

Product name: PlayStation 3

Logo: PLAYSTATION®3

CPU

Cell Processor

PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz

1 VMX vector unit per core

512KB L2 cache

7 x SPE @3.2GHz

7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs

7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE

* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy

total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU

RSX @550MHz

1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance

Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels

Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound

Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell- base processing)

Memory

256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth

Main RAM 25.6GB/s

VRAM 22.4GB/s

RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)

SB< 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance

2 TFLOPS

Storage

Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1

I/O

USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)

Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1

SD standard/mini x 1

CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1

Communication

Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)

Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g

Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller

Bluetooth (up to 7)

USB 2.0 (wired)

Wi-Fi (PSP)

Network (over IP)

AV Output

Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p

HDMI: HDMI out x 2

Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1

Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

Disc Media

CD PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)

DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW

Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

System looks nice, lots of connections, the controller needs serious work though.

It's hard to top the ones they already have been using.

I never put much faith in tech specs. I still recall people pointing at the PS2 tech specs claiming they were definitive proof that the PS2 had better graphics than the Gamecube. Still, I can't wait to see some game screenshots.

I dislike the rounded design of the actual system. Looks like it will be impossible to stack other equipment on top of it.

Someone said it's twice as powerful as the X-Box 360! Wow. Quite a reversal this time.

What would be cool with that controller would be if there are buttons under each finger too, so your thumbs aren't doing all the work (not talking about the R1 R2 L1 L2 buttons).

I can't exactly put my finger on it but it looks "fake" or rushed to me, espcially the new uncomfortable, ungainly controller. The PS2's controller "ain't broke, so don't fix it" as is. The system itself is fat and ungainly looking. I've seen better fan designed systems!

I'm sure PS3 will have excellent, enjoyable games but from a system and controller standpoint, for once, I'm very disappointed in Sony. I'll likely forget all about the system when I play the games but that controllers gonna be a pain to hold!

Until I hear the words "PS3 FF7 Remake confirmed", I'll hold my excitement in check over the FF7 footage.

Time will tell...

Yes, this is the final console design and it's one sexy beast. SEXY!!!!!!!!!!

I can't help but see how Ironic it is next to the Xbox 360. It's like SONY and MS got together and did the exavt oppisite. MS put thier Xbox360 on a diet and gave it a waist, while SONY took the PS3 and feed it like a pig, giving it a belly. :lol::D

As for the boomerang....... I mean controller, I actually like the design because of the important aesthetic design. It looks like a boomerang, it feels like a boomerang, so it should work like one right? When you get pi$$ed at a game and throw your controller against the wall or T.V., it will actually come back to you instead of getting damaged. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

NEWS FLASH!!!!!! " 14 year old kid ends up in the hospital with a severe concusion when his controller hit him in the head when he threw it across his room and he forgot to duck as it turned around!!!" :D:D

My question is where in the hell does the 2.5" HDD go? I look and can't tell where they put it. I see nothing in the front but the bay for the cards. Nothoing in the back but the power, AVI and ethernet connectors. The sides have the fans openings, so WTF!!!!!..............The botom ala Gamecube maybe????

This looks like a winner. SONY 1 Microsoft 0.

Go SONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by MGREXX

you have to take off the 4 screws to loosen the anti-thief panel then slide the panel to the left 1 inch and rotated it counter clockwize 3 times then pull out the panel then you can easily pull out the unprotected hdd so wears an anti-static strap.

Personally I like the look...it shares the same basic shape as the PS2, offset slab on a slab but softened. Much better looking than the XBox 360. The boomerang controller looks weird, but if it's comfortable, then I'll be happy.

What was even more interesting for me was the HDMI outputs and the footage of Killzone...damn.

i guess it could flip up to accomodate old controllers and memory cards, or maybe they will make an adapter that plugs into a usb port or something for the PS1 and PS2 stuff. At least I can pawn off my PS1 and PS2 on a relative now since this one system should still be able to play my old stuff. The only reason I kept the PS1 was to play IQ 2 and VFX2, but I haven't been playing those for awhile.

or maybe that part flips up to allow the HD to go in, looks like there are three little lights up there.

Why's the damned power switch in the back again!?! It's stupid to put an electronic unit's power switch in the back like that!!! Damnit! DAMNIT!!!

cuz sony wants us to make sure there's lots of space around it so it can vent hot air and not overheat. :)

also, how long do those funky buttons up front last anyway? I can see the disc eject and on/off buttons wearing off after awhile. or cracking.

The design is alright... and the graphics look more then hi res PS2 games (unlike the PS2).... but whats with the games? Sequels and a remake? WTF... can't we start being original for once? :rolleyes:

At least now I don't feel bad about completly ignoring the existance of the new Xbox :p

Don't be excited about specs untill a day before its released.... the PSX got raped, specs wise, several times before making it out.

Edited by Abombz!!