OT: Dyson vacuum

Consumer Reports says it's overrated and over-hyped. CR credits their P.R. budget for all the buzz. As of last year their top pick was a Kenmore HEPA vacuum that was fairly reasonably priced.

Check out the CR website. Most of their recent reviews are under the "members" section, but you can always just sign up for a month and get some good info at a reasonable price.

a coworker of mine got the yellow one, it does suck real well, so does my 60 bagless with clean fliter.

one thing I don't get is, the guy in the commerical says it suck with 10k g-force. Then why doesn't it blow up?

My wife got a Dyson vacuum and she loves it. It is easy to use and not too heavy for her. Heck, even I will clean the house (if I'm asked to). :) Anyway, I would recommend it to anyone, but we got ours at Bed Bath and Beyond and used the 20% coupon for it. That added up to $80.00 savings! Word of advice - save those darned coupons!

David

Consumer Reports says it's overrated and over-hyped. CR credits their P.R. budget for all the buzz. As of last year their top pick was a Kenmore HEPA vacuum that was fairly reasonably priced.

Check out the CR website. Most of their recent reviews are under the "members" section, but you can always just sign up for a month and get some good info at a reasonable price.

Consumer Reports also said the Ford Focus is the best small car in the U.S. That's why you should take them with a grain of salt.

Well, I have one of those standing types and must say it does suck :lol:

However the vac is so damn heavy and quite clumsy to operate, not to mention that without changing bags ever, the tube storing all the dust & dirt can get filthy!

Apparently the newer smaller models are more user friendly <_<

wait for this model... looks like something kawamori would design...

dyson_ball.jpg

Before this there was another vacuum that kicked ass and was priced above a G. It was the Kirby vacuum. I only remember because a salesman came to our house when I was little and my mom let him vacuum the whole house thinking that she was gonna buy one. Then she kicked him out and we laughed at him from the window while he packed up all his gear... :lol:

Edited by >EXO<

Got a Rainbow here. Drowns the dust in water.

Aside from being a quite decent(and cheap!) filtration media, it makes emptying the canister a lot cleaner.

And safer for those of us with serious dust allergies.

With very few exceptions, every vacuum ever made kicks some dust into the air when it's emptied. As someone that gets really sick when he inhales any signifigant quantity, this is a Bad Thing

There are some models I literally cannot use because of how much dust gets thrown up when I empty them.

Before this there was another vacuum that kicked ass and was priced above a G. It was the Kirby vacuum. I only remember because a salesman came to our house when I was little and my mom let him vacuum the whole house thinking that she was gonna buy one. Then she kicked him out and we laughed at him from the window while he packed up all his gear... :lol:

heh...like 8 months after my dad had his accident like 3 years ago...one of those guys game and we let him do the same thing...it was funny...they were tryna sell it to us and we wouldn't budge...we did tell him we'd call in and order one...just never did :lol: poor stupid guy...

Guest Bromgrev

Dysons are live action and they exist in the here-and-now. There's nothing anime or science fiction about them. :blink:

Consumer tests are based on consumer groups, so they will always recommend things that appeal to the sort of people who are weird enough to subscribe to consumer groups.

Any one spend half a G on one of these? is it worth it?

half a g??? try spending $2500 on a tri star!!! don't worry.....i never paid for it! :lol:

the tri star works great! passed my akira test.

wondering what the akira test is???

akira is my 6 year old siberian husky!! :D

Reguardless of how hard it sucks, I can't justify paying that much for damn near anything, let alone a friggin' vacuum that I'd still have to shove around myself. Personally, I grabbed a clearanced original model Roomba from Target for $100. And you know what? The little bugger really does work. In fact, just like wyaxyz's Akira test, Roomba certainly picks up my wife's hair (and my wife sheds more than my mom's late cat... go figure that one).

So, in summary...

$500 for an over-hyped vacuum I still have to push myself, or $100 (you can get one of the really nice newer models with a remote and junk for like $250) for a vacuum that spins around like an idiot but actually vacuums with minimal supervision on my part.

you see, what if you cough up the dough to get one of these and it breaks a few years down the road? then your SOFL cause by then, the warranty will probably be expired, then they'll charge you an arm and a leg to fix it plus the cost of shipping it back and forth.

i say get $100 vacuum, and if anything goes wrong, you can toss it and buy another $100 vacuum.

I paid $90 for my Hoover and it works great.

I'd want one simply because I understand the design and it seems like a giant leap forward from my traditional Kenmore cheapo-vac.

But then again, my house is 90% hardwood floors and they've yet to make a vacuum that can outperform the standard broom and mop. ;)

Consumer Reports says it's overrated and over-hyped.  CR credits their P.R. budget for all the buzz.  As of last year their top pick was a Kenmore HEPA vacuum that was fairly reasonably priced. 

Check out the CR website.  Most of their recent reviews are under the "members" section, but you can always just sign up for a month and get some good info at a reasonable price.

Consumer Reports also said the Ford Focus is the best small car in the U.S. That's why you should take them with a grain of salt.

consumer reports is bought off, its a common known fact in the auto industry, worked on the 1994 lesabre "car of the year" 1st year in production they welded washers toghther to hold the CHMSL (center high mounted stop lamp) to the rear glass cause the metal shelf sagged so much and the whole body was out of tolerance

I use http://www.consumersearch.com/ which is a sort of meta-review place. They say the Dyson isn't any better than several cheaper models, so after eyeing it, I went and got a Eureka using a Costco coupon. We're happy with it. About the only improvements I could ask for would be a better way of knowing when the bag is full and either a self-sealing bag or a bagless water-filtered system that completely prevents dust from escaping.

I use http://www.consumersearch.com/ which is a sort of meta-review place. They say the Dyson isn't any better than several cheaper models, so after eyeing it, I went and got a Eureka using a Costco coupon. We're happy with it. About the only improvements I could ask for would be a better way of knowing when the bag is full and either a self-sealing bag or a bagless water-filtered system that completely prevents dust from escaping.

my folks picked up one of those water filter based systems. and while it rocks(i was forced to see it in action when i went to visit them), i don't think its worth anywhere near the price they paid for it....they got ripped!

all i have now is a dustbuster with a stick on it. :p like blaine23, i also have hardwood floors so i have to sweep and mop....can't really get any cleaner and nothing is left flying around after you mop. :)

oh and i got one of those wet swiffers for the quick clean ups.

Edited by haterist

Yeah, I just did some research on the web and usenet (google groups) and (no offense to JB0) Rainbow was tagged along with Kirby and Tristar as a company that sells overpriced equipment through high-pressure door-to-door sales tactics. In fact there were some comments that testing showed the Rainbow recycles a lot of dust back into the air.

Among the few lesser-known brands that do seem to get good comments across the board are Miele and Royal (not Royal Dirt Devil, but an arm of the same company that makes commercial-grade vacuums).

Yeah, I just did some research on the web and usenet (google groups) and (no offense to JB0) Rainbow was tagged along with Kirby and Tristar as a company that sells overpriced equipment through high-pressure door-to-door sales tactics. In fact there were some comments that testing showed the Rainbow recycles a lot of dust back into the air.

We got a reasonably good deal on ours, relatively speaking.

Got it at the end of the Texas state fair after a long run of bad weather. Between the waether and we'd expressed interest in previous years, they came down on the price a bit and threw in some accessories.

Also borrowed one from a friend to see how well it worked well before we bought ours. Wasn't a spur-of-the-moment decision.

As far as dust belching... my nose says it puts a lot less dust back out than our Hoover, which is several years newer(was bought because setting the Rainbow up can be a pain sometimes for the terminally lazy, an affliction my family suffers from). I can SMELL the dust leaking out of that one.

But... on the negative side of things:

Our power head plugs up fairly regularly. Say once a month it has to be opened and a big wad of dog hair picked out of the entrance to the pipe.

And the thing is LOUD. Biggest improvement on the current model based on what I've seen is it's far quieter.