Newbie Questions on Macross

Question:

I want to watch Macross 7, but I only speak english. What do I do?

Get a fansub? Buy a bootleg? Wait for an english release -- or is there one already? What's my best bet?

311260[/snapback]

Option 1. Getting a fansub is possible, they are out there, but it may take some doing. But it's probably your best bet, if you look below.

Option 2. NO. Bootlegs are bad. Not only are you supporting organized crime, but organized crime that cannot comprehend either the Japanese or English languages.

Option 3. That will be a long wait...right now, any further Macross releases outside of what's already here (TV, II and Plus) is dependent on an amicable resolution to a number of ongoing or threatened lawsuits.

311261[/snapback]

Thanks Pat. Too bad there's not an easier way. So, more questions...

Where do I get a fansub of Macross 7?

Is it possible to get DVD instead of VHS?

Question:

I want to watch Macross 7, but I only speak english. What do I do?

Get a fansub? Buy a bootleg? Wait for an english release -- or is there one already? What's my best bet?

311260[/snapback]

Option 1. Getting a fansub is possible, they are out there, but it may take some doing. But it's probably your best bet, if you look below.

Option 2. NO. Bootlegs are bad. Not only are you supporting organized crime, but organized crime that cannot comprehend either the Japanese or English languages.

Option 3. That will be a long wait...right now, any further Macross releases outside of what's already here (TV, II and Plus) is dependent on an amicable resolution to a number of ongoing or threatened lawsuits.

311261[/snapback]

Thanks Pat. Too bad there's not an easier way. So, more questions...

Where do I get a fansub of Macross 7?

Is it possible to get DVD instead of VHS?

311263[/snapback]

http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/166.html

Start downloading.

I hope these have english subtitles...

311340[/snapback]

Huh? :blink: *Wonders why anybody would say that when AnimeSuki is a fansubber site* :lol:

311381[/snapback]

Well... they COULD have engrish subtitles, which isn't quite the same...

Oh I see. so the legs rotate. did'nt know that. :D

Anyway on to another topic:

Somebody could tell me why the vf pilot that Nora nailed on the ground in episode two have a higher rank than Roy Focker.

Im assuming that the PL on their names means pilot, which is no rank at all, i think. While that unfortunate guy Nora nailed has LCDR then his name Tim Baker, which i assume means, LT. Commander, which is a real rank.

Please see the pics below.

310404[/snapback]

In Japanese a Lieutenant commander is a Sho-Sa which is the same word for a Major. So the ranks are equal. However Major Focker is still the commanding officer of Skull and Lcdr Baker will remain his suboirdinate.

D'oh...those fansub avi's have some seriously ugly compression artifacts. I guess I shouldn't complain. But I sure wish there could be a legit english release.

311398[/snapback]

No chance in Hell

Seems there is a big dispute about the song rights, which would make M7

rather costly to sell

Question: in the TV series Episode 'Viva Millia', during the trip to the Regult Factory (Robowrech Factor for the confused and blind), the fleet comes across a destroyed ship, one the Zentradi seem unwhilling to explore, call it a booby trap in the English HG version of macross.

now, i have a copy of Macross Pefect Memory and on Page 181 of that book, they have a brief verbage in japanesse about this ship. What is the text of that section, for those with access to the book and ability to translate?

what exactly was that ship supposed to be orginally? based on how little we know of the illustrations.... that was supposed to be a Inspection Army Gunboat, simular to the SDF-1...

Yeah, the possiblity exists, the question was already asked but... 69 pages? nah, ill repost the question, due to lavck of interst in gauging eyes out in strain... :rolleyes:

Question: in the TV series Episode 'Viva Millia', during the trip to the Regult Factory (Robowrech Factor for the confused and blind), the fleet comes across a destroyed ship, one the Zentradi seem unwhilling to explore, call it a booby trap in the English HG version of macross.

now, i have a copy of Macross Pefect Memory and on Page 181 of that book, they have a brief verbage in japanesse about this ship. What is the text of that section, for those with access to the book and ability to translate?

what exactly was that ship supposed to be orginally? based on how little we know of the illustrations.... that was supposed to be a Inspection Army Gunboat, simular to the SDF-1...

Yeah, the possiblity exists, the question was already asked but... 69 pages? nah, ill repost the question, due to lavck of interst in gauging eyes out in strain...  :rolleyes:

313436[/snapback]

IIRC, it was another SA gunboat-type. But you may wish to search the forum as we have discussed this.

Yeah, the possiblity exists, the question was already asked but... 69 pages? nah, ill repost the question, due to lavck of interst in gauging eyes out in strain...  :rolleyes:

313436[/snapback]

IIRC, it was another SA gunboat-type. But you may wish to search the forum as we have discussed this.

313452[/snapback]

Yup. It was another booby-trapped SA vessel, just like the Macross itself was.

Well, we assume it was booby-trapped.

Hi all,

I've been a Macross fan ever since when I was a kid and my dad brought home two Revel model kids of the Valklyries for my brother and I but I guess I'm a newb since I still haven't seen the original series. It's on my list of stuff to see, once I can afford it at least. So I've only seen Robotech.

Anyways, here are my puzzlements.

What happends to Breetai and Exedore at the end of the series?

Why doesn't Hikaru pick up Misa, or does he? Does he ditch annoying-Minmai for Misa or just ditch her on general principals?

Was Misa really cooking and cleaning for Hikaru and not sleeping with him, because that's really neurotic?

Thanks!

P.S. Should there be a Dalek crossover?

Breetai

http://www.anime.net/macross/characters/k/...danik_vrlitwhai

Exsedol

http://www.anime.net/macross/characters/f/...l#folmo_exsedol

Why doesn't Hikaru pick up Misa, or does he? Does he ditch annoying-Minmai for Misa or just ditch her on general principals?

Not sure what you mean by this. This question would probably be answered if you watch the series.

Was Misa really cooking and cleaning for Hikaru and not sleeping with him, because that's really neurotic?

Hikaru is a busy guy.....

but I guess I'm a newb since I still haven't seen the original series.

Guess what? You're in luck. ADV has the rights to the original series now and they will be re-releasing it soon. However, I'm sure you can find the Animeigo editions out there.

Thanks!

I still don't understand Misa's house cleaning though but I guess there is nothing to understand...

Breetai

http://www.anime.net/macross/characters/k/...danik_vrlitwhai

Exsedol

http://www.anime.net/macross/characters/f/...l#folmo_exsedol

Not sure what you mean by this. This question would probably be answered if you watch the series.

Hikaru is a busy guy.....

but I guess I'm a newb since I still haven't seen the original series.

Guess what? You're in luck. ADV has the rights to the original series now and they will be re-releasing it soon. However, I'm sure you can find the Animeigo editions out there.

313821[/snapback]

Basically. I see her housecleaning for Hikaru and her other actions in that episode as definetly showing her trying to deal with some unrequited love. On the other hand, what was Hikaru doing giving her his keys, unless he did love her? Aaaaaagggggghhhh...my brain's starting to hurt...

Here's something I noticed.. I don't think it deserves it's own topic either.

Does the Monster have hover feet? In several shots in the TV series (most, actually) it doesn't use it's legs and instead slides from place to place. The Compendium didn't have anything on it, and I was wondering if it was canon or not. It would make sense giving it's large size, and the fact that in the one shot where I saw it take a step it smashed the deck plating.

Does the Monster have hover feet? In several shots in the TV series (most, actually) it doesn't use it's legs and instead slides from place to place. The Compendium didn't have anything on it, and I was wondering if it was canon or not. It would make sense giving it's large size, and the fact that in the one shot where I saw it take a step it smashed the deck plating.

315435[/snapback]

I remember seeing this in the Mars base episode ("Bye Bye Mars?"). I think it's more likely a case of lazy animators.

H

Eh... Hey I'm new here.

Anyhow I didn't want to search the forums for my question because of all the spoilers(luckily they mean nothing to me because I havn't seen macross yet... but I don't want to risk it).

ANYHOW can you guys explain the order of the series to me? I was wondering how Macross 7 and Macross Zero and all the others fit in together. Like do I need to watch one before the other, will it make more sense, or whatnot? Thanks for the help, guys.

Eh... Hey I'm new here.

Anyhow I didn't want to search the forums for my question because of all the spoilers(luckily they mean nothing to me because I havn't seen macross yet... but I don't want to risk it).

ANYHOW can you guys explain the order of the series to me?  I was wondering how Macross 7 and Macross Zero and all the others fit in together.  Like do I need to watch one before the other, will it make more sense, or whatnot?  Thanks for the help, guys.

315443[/snapback]

It doesn't need to be seen in any particlular order, as (except for Macross 7) none of them are direct prequels or sequels of each other ( that is, they share the same universe, but no real knowledge of "what came before" is necessary to enjoy each work -- think of them like the Star Trek series: Although it helps to know who Captain Kirk is while watching TNG, it's not crucial or even needed.)

The actual chronological order of the shows is as follows:

1. Macross Zero (takes place before TV series)

2. Macross TV

3. Macross Flashback 2012

4. Macross DYRL (chronology's very iffy on this one, it's either a retelling of the TV series, or a "movie-within-the-TV-series" thing made in 2030)

5. Macross Plus

6. Macross 7

and:

?. Macross II: Lovers Again (not part of the chronology, but the Hoary Froating Head was feeling charatable that day, and allowed it to be an "alternate future.")

Hopes this helps. You can find more information at the Macross Compendium.

Edited by Pat Payne

It doesn't need to be seen in any particlular order, as (except for Macross 7) none of them are direct prequels or sequels of each other ( that is, they share the same universe, but no real knowledge of "what came before" is necessary to enjoy each work -- think of them like the Star Trek series: Although it helps to know who Captain Kirk is while watching TNG, it's not crucial or even needed.)

Macross Compendium.

315447[/snapback]

M7 will recap the chronologically important highlights from SDF Macross and DYRL?.

M7 will recap the chronologically important highlights from SDF Macross and DYRL?.

315500[/snapback]

Thanks Azrael :) I hadn't seen much past the first couple of eps and "The Galaxy is Calling Me!" so I wasn't sure how much they touched on the original series in M7.

315435[/snapback]

I remember seeing this in the Mars base episode ("Bye Bye Mars?"). I think it's more likely a case of lazy animators.

Probably. But wheels wouldn't be a bad idea for smooth terrain.

4. Macross DYRL (chronology's very iffy on this one, it's either a retelling of the TV series, or a "movie-within-the-TV-series" thing made in 2030)

It's both. It IS an alternate version of the events of Space War 1, but it's not the "real" version of them.

If the Valks use thermonuclear engines, would there be a crapload of radioactive elements being released each time one of the brownies get shot down?

317472[/snapback]

A VF's thermonuclear engines don't work exactly how we think they do thanks to Overtechnology.

http://www.anime.net/macross/story/encyclo...tion/index.html

They may not even produce that much radioactivity.

If the Valks use thermonuclear engines, would there be a crapload of radioactive elements being released each time one of the brownies get shot down?

317472[/snapback]

A VF's thermonuclear engines don't work exactly how we think they do thanks to Overtechnology.

http://www.anime.net/macross/story/encyclo...tion/index.html

They may not even produce that much radioactivity.

317481[/snapback]

Actually, the original question is a basic misunderstanding of nuclear power.

Thermonuclear = fusion. Fusion uses non-radioactive fuel(typically hydrogen or helium), and depending on the reaction may or may not release radioactive byproducts(He3 fusion, used in Gundam, is a "clean" reaction, although it is not known to release minovsky particles in the real world as it does in the anime).

The only thing special about overtech fusion is the mechanism used to sustain the reaction.

I understand that thermonuclear = fusion.  You typically need, however, a fission reaction to generate the extremely high temperatures that start the fusion reaction in the first place.  Fission = radioactive.  But this was  cleared up by Azrael.

317529[/snapback]

Errr, no.

That only applies to bombs.

For obvious reasons, detonating an A-bomb inside a fusion reactor is very much NOT an encouraged activity.

The techniques used in fusion weaponry also don't lend themselves to the sustained reactions needed for a fusion generator. Although PACER would have provided fusion power generation without a sustainable fusion reaction, and thus WOULD use a fission explosion to initiate fusion.

And a controlled fission reaction doesn't generate NEAR as much heat and pressure as the explosive uncontrolled ones used in weapons, making it pretty much useless for a catalyst in fusion power generation. Not to mention the techniques used for fusion power generation don't require anywhere near the incredibly high pressures of a fusion weapon.

Without knowing exactly how Macross' overtech generators work, I would predict that they're most closely related to modern tokamak reactors, which use magnetic fields to constrict the plasma and either inject high-energy particles or use EM radiation to heat the fuel.

Edited by JB0

And you wonder why I try to avoid real-world thought in my answers and just stick to and interpret what the good book says. :p

A type of Overtechnology similar to nuclear fusion. Unlike nuclear fusion however, this energy reaction became an excellent power source of extreme efficiency, since the fuel does not necessarily have to be nuclear material and is also easily maintained in plasma state with the use of super dimension spatial theory.

As I said, reactors in Macross don't quite work the way we think they do due to Overtechnology. The process is similar to fusion, but doesn't say that it is fusion. It is intentionally vague on the point, and that's how I'll answer it it. Does it produce radioactive byproducts? It may produce a little, it may produce zero. But obviously, it's nothing to get excited about. <_<

And you wonder why I try to avoid real-world thought in my answers and just stick to and interpret what the good book says. :p
A type of Overtechnology similar to nuclear fusion. Unlike nuclear fusion however, this energy reaction became an excellent power source of extreme efficiency, since the fuel does not necessarily have to be nuclear material and is also easily maintained in plasma state with the use of super dimension spatial theory.

As I said, reactors in Macross don't quite work the way we think they do due to Overtechnology. The process is similar to fusion, but doesn't say that it is fusion. It is intentionally vague on the point, and that's how I'll answer it it. Does it produce radioactive byproducts? It may produce a little, it may produce zero. But obviously, it's nothing to get excited about. <_<

317590[/snapback]

I still take exception to Kawamori's description, though, as the statement that the fuel doesn't have to be nuclear is true of real-world thermonuclear reactions too.

Though it's really minor quibbling over a technical detail that was easily overlooked.

I tend to hold programs that attempt to brush with real-world tech to a higher standard than ones that just insert Trek babble to explain why their cardboard box with wings is capable of flight.

Macross is one of the shows that attempts to stay on this side of the absurd.

Sure the planes fold into robots, but they at least make the planes look like flyable vehicles and the robots like planes that folded into robots instead of totally new vehicles.

Hey random question.  Who is this "ishtar" character they are talking about in the "hot women of Macross" poll?

319893[/snapback]

Ishtar is a character from Macross II.

The girl in the center of this pic:

mii_tia_front.jpg