Newbie Questions on Macross

I think since there was a lack of pilots aboard the SDF-1, enlisted personel got a chance to fly. As Hikaru, Max and other pilots showed to be promising, they got a battlefield commision, something that was very common in the America Revolutionary War and the American Civil War. In the normal military there is no way a enlisted man will get his hands on a fighter plane.

Hi Macross Fans!!!

I'm kinda new hear (This is only my second post) and i was wondering if someone here could direct me to a site or even tell me of:

(1)what happened to the Misa Hayase-helmed SDF-02/Megaroad-01 after it departed from earth?

(2) According to dave deitrich's site the Megaroad-01 dissappeared in a general area near or maybe somewhere near what is now called the varuta system in Macross 7? Is this true?

(3) Also I would like to know if its true that the well know couple of Max-Milia (from the original macross) are going thru some sort of separation/divorce in M7? and why or how did this happen?

1) Nobody knows. Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay road off into the sunset.

2) I'm not certain if the whereabouts are correct, though many say it dissapeared near the center of the galaxy.

3) Max and Millia are not divorced, but are seperated for most of M7. The specifics of why are never brought to light. If you want to know more, I reccomend watching the series.

I think since there was a lack of pilots aboard the SDF-1, enlisted personel got a chance to fly. As Hikaru, Max and other pilots showed to be promising, they got a battlefield commision, something that was very common in the America Revolutionary War and the American Civil War. In the normal military there is no way a enlisted man will get his hands on a fighter plane.

For non-Americans, it's not that odd to see enlisted personnel as pilots.

I don't know about contemporary Japan, but at least through WWII, it was not uncommon, outside the US armed forces, for pilots not to be officers. According to this page, only a small number of Japanese pilots in WWII were officers.

By contrast, I believe the American theory, going way back, was that each aircraft was potentially an independent command, and therefore must be piloted by an officer. (In Navy culture, at least in the 1940's, it was also common to refer to airplanes as "ships", thus emphasizing this view.)

There were "flying Sergents" in WWII. In the naval services there were non-commissioned officers that were pilots, post war most were given commissions making all aviators officers. The Army uses Warrant Officers as pilots as well as commissioned officers.

Modern Japan uses officers for pilots.

Both the Soviet Union and U.S. only used officers as pilots, so any country that was trained by one of the superpowers uses officers for pilots.

2) I'm not certain if the whereabouts are correct, though many say it dissapeared near the center of the galaxy.

2) The Varauta system is in the vicinity of the "center of the galaxy". It is also the area where Megaroad-01 is believed to have disappeared. But considering that the "center of the galaxy" is a huge area to cover and is vastly unexplored by humans, they could be anywhere or not even there.

2) The Varauta system is in the vicinity of the "center of the galaxy". It is also the area where Megaroad-01 is believed to have disappeared. But considering that the "center of the galaxy" is a huge area to cover and is vastly unexplored by humans, they could be anywhere or not even there.

Yah. They could've just as easily fallen into a wormhole and come out in the Crab nebula.

With the conclusion of macross zero just recently, I was wondering what are the forum members speculations or theories for the next macross saga?

Will it be about the SDF-02/Megaroad-01 or perhaps a continuation of M7?

or even another prequel or mid-quel or something that takes place between the originall macross saga and macross plus, so that we the fans get to see the other VFs (eg. VF-4, VF-14 (the original one not its supposed varuta derivative)) that were never featured/animated in the different macrosses.

BTW thanks to azrael & Radd for their input on my first post in this thread.

Edited by grss1982

The possibilities are pretty much endless. I'd personally like to see the VF-4 in action, as it's my absolute favourite Valkyrie design. I also wouldn't mind seeing more in the M7 timeline. Heck, I'd be happy with another SW1 era story, so long as Kawamori and company didn't take that as a sign to be lazy and endlessly recycle that time period.

Yeah, this is really more appropriate as a new thread, or you could resurrect a recent thread on the same topic. The newbie questions thread is for questions that can be answered definitively.

More like, we don't do speculation (i.e. what should be the next Macross, what's the next VF, what really happened to person X etc, etc, etc) in this thread, period.

Why is the war between the UN Spacy and the Zentradi called Space War 1?

If it has a one on it doesn't it mean there is also a Space War 2 ?

Should it be calle the Space War or the Great Space War?

*shrugs*

Maybe the people that survived Space War 1 were cynical and just assumed a second one would follow.

The Varauta system is in the vicinity of the "center of the galaxy". It is also the area where Megaroad-01 is believed to have disappeared. But considering that the "center of the galaxy" is a huge area to cover and is vastly unexplored by humans, they could be anywhere or not even there.

Well,

I thought they got sucked into a black hole...since the center of the galaxy contains a super-massive black hole.

*shrugs*

Maybe the people that survived Space War 1 were cynical and just assumed a second one would follow.

:huh: Is that the answer?

*shrugs*

:huh: Is that the answer?

I doubt there IS an official answer.

Where's Komillia by the time of M3? She was only 3 years old, and can't be leaved behind when Max & Milia were assigned to Algenicus.

Edited by Zero Enna

Wouldnt it be Sukhoi Variable?

I guess it kind of makes sense, but why is it 51? :huh: Just a the numbering order?

Well...doesn't the current line of Sukhoi fighters go up into the 40s now?

The Su-47 is their current model.

Where's Komillia by the time of M3? She was only 3 years old, and can't be leaved behind when Max & Milia were assigned to Algenicus.

We don't know. Komillia is around, just not the focus of many stories. In an alternate universe (Macross 2036, game for Sega IIRC), Komillia has joined the UNS.

We don't know. Komillia is around, just not the focus of many stories. In an alternate universe (Macross 2036, game for Sega IIRC), Komillia has joined the UNS.

M2036 was for the PCEngine/AKA TurboGrafx16 CD-ROM expansion. So it was for NEC, not Sega.

Hey guys, I just saw macross zero and i was awestruck by the vf-0s transformation sequence from fighter to battloid/battroid I never knew those head lasers could intercept multiple missles like that :ph34r: , since i was under the assumption that they were were only capable of being forward firing weapons in fighter mode and an arcwelder of some sort in gerwalk mode (as seen in the macross tv series' VF-1 (i think) rick hunter rescues lisa hayes in th alaska base)

My question would be if the head lasers were capable of intercepting missles the way the vf-0 did, why have'nt i seen that happening in the original macross, macross plus movie (Isamu uses it only to shoot Guld in the climactic battle on earth) or even in M7? Could somebody explain that to me? :angry: just curios B))

Hey guys, I just saw macross zero and i was awestruck by the vf-0s transformation sequence from fighter to battloid/battroid I never knew those head lasers could intercept multiple missles like that :ph34r: , since i was under the assumption that they were were only capable of being forward firing weapons in fighter mode and an arcwelder of some sort in gerwalk mode (as seen in the macross tv series' VF-1 (i think) rick hunter rescues lisa hayes in th alaska base)

My question would be if the head lasers were capable of intercepting missles the way the vf-0 did, why have'nt i seen that happening in the original macross, macross plus movie (Isamu uses it only to shoot Guld in the climactic battle on earth) or even in M7? Could somebody explain that to me? :angry: just curios B))

I think it was a matter of animation technolgy

We do see Roy use his head lasers in battroid mode in an early episode of the original TV series, where he shoots down a passing pod.

The reason you haven't seen them used as antimissile weapons before M0 is probably because nobody thought to animate it. I suppose it's possible that the creators of Macross came up with this use for the head lasers at some point after the original series and/or M+/M7 but I doubt it. More likely, M0 is just the most aviation/hardware-geeky iteration of the series; they did a lot of stuff that basically just shows off technical details.

According to the Macross Compendium, which is the official information at present, the head lasers are an antimissile/antiaircraft weapon on all the Valks that carry them (most do, with the main exception being the VF-4). So it's not like the VF-0 had this capability while later valks didn't.

A few data points: it's true that Hikaru uses his gunpod instead of his head lasers to take out a group of pursuing missiles in "Miss Macross". I think we see Max use his head lasers against Milia in DYRL. In the PS2 Macross game, the head lasers work (battroid only)--a button press will make them home in on the nearest missile (or failing that, an enemy) and fire pulses at it.

The reason you haven't seen them used as antimissile weapons before M0 is probably because nobody thought to animate it.

I would say it more like, "The reason you haven't seen them used as antimissile weapons before M0 is probably because nobody thought to animate it as such."

edit:

In fact, that's really what the head turret (in Macross or Gundam) is; an anti-aircraft/CIWS system in addition to being a sensor suite. The only reason we don't see it used as such in certain instances is because it was never animated as such.

Edited by azrael

I don't know if you've noticed this guys, but there are HUGE differences between the VF-0A/S and the VF-0D. Aside from having two pilots, the D model seems to have a delta wing design compared to the A and S models' conventional swept swing wing design.

(1) My question is what's up with that and why name it vf-0d when if its a deifferent design?

And here's aother question, i've heard from some web sites that the vf-1 is actually a "stylized" or in the mold of the f-14, so:

(2) is it safe to say that the sv-51 is a stylized f/a-18 or f-18 hornet then? i'm actually just wondering.

Edited by grss1982

I don't know if you've noticed this guys, but there are HUGE differences between the VF-0A/S and the VF-0D. Aside from having two pilots, the D model seems to have a delta wing design compared to the A and S models' conventional swept swing wing design.

(1) My question is what's up with that and why name it vf-0d when if its a deifferent design?

And here's aother question, i've heard from some web sites that the vf-1 is actually a "stylized" or in the mold of the f-14, so:

(2) is it safe to say that the sv-51 is a stylized f/a-18 or f-18 hornet then? i'm actually just wondering.

Yes we do notice, however, we often turn to the Compendium for answers to most common Macross questions...like yours.

1) http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_.../vf0/index.html

The VF-0D is designed for enchanced combat and electronic warfare. Hence the reason for the canards and delta-wing design. (You may wish to read up on the F-16XL)

Why is it called the VF-0D? Well, if you remove the wings, it's a VF-0. Why D? Why not. It's an retuned variant of the VF-0. A and B are used. C comes after B and the D-variant certainly is not modeled after the B-variant so why not skip a letter and jump to D.

2) No.

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/anti_un...sv51/index.html

It may look like a F/A-18, but it certainly didn't start that way.

When you remove the wings, the rest of the basic body is identical.

hehehe, sorry for newbie questions guys, just new to this forum.

Anyway i wanted to ask you guys if you've seen the cgi vf-0 transformation in macross zero(episode 1 i think), i could'nt help but notice that targeting system on roy's helmet, (the triple red ligths on the front top part of his helmet i believe, which follows his eyes movements as he "paints" the oncoming multiple missles, i have'nt seen that before, i just wanted to know if this is another one of those overtechnologies/overtechnology derived from the crashed ASS-1. any data to support? thanks

hehehe, sorry for newbie questions guys, just new to this forum.

Anyway i wanted to ask you guys if you've seen the cgi vf-0 transformation in macross zero(episode 1 i think), i could'nt help but notice that targeting system on roy's helmet, (the triple red ligths on the front top part of his helmet i believe, which follows his eyes movements as he "paints" the oncoming multiple missles, i have'nt seen that before, i just wanted to know if this is another one of those overtechnologies/overtechnology derived from the crashed ASS-1. any data to support? thanks

Actually, this is probably an extrapolation of modern tech... the AH-64 apache uses a system similar in function... the pilot wears a special helmet that amoung other functions, allows the pilot to target the chaingun mounted under the apache.

I think, though I might be mistaken, the current version of the euro fighter uses similar technology.

i could'nt help but notice that targeting system on roy's helmet, (the triple red ligths on the front top part of his helmet i believe, which follows his eyes movements as he "paints" the oncoming multiple missles

No, it's not overtechnology. It's actually a Macross-world implementation of a eye-movement targeting system which carries some minor yet significant similarities to the AH-64 Apache's helmet/sensor control system.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=Dqxqn...m&output=gplain

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&...onoh.attgis.com

The technology is actually used in real-life. However, eye-movement tracking has been primarily used in lots of research studies. So no, it's not Overtechnology, it's real-world.

I wager that this manual targetting system is replaced with a computer targetting system (which is also used in modern-day applications, however in Macross, is probably much more sophisticated), which is much easier to use. Surprisingly, much of the control-system technology in Macross actually have real-life counterparts.

I think, though I might be mistaken, the current version of the euro fighter uses similar technology.

Not really.

http://www.eurofighter.starstreak.net/Euro...er/cockpit.html

The Eurofighter (and this is what I like about it) actually uses a Helmet-Mounted Sight. This system projects info onto the helmet's visor, in addition to the HUD. In effect, you have a HUD display right on your visor.

What is also neat about this system is that it also incorporates Night-vision equipment which can also be displayed on the HMS, eliminating the need for night-vision goggle attachments.

Edited by azrael