music

wyaxyz

Actually that would be an interesting topic.

What concert did you have the chance to go to but turned it down and subsequently regretted?

My biggest regret would be that I didn't fork out $300 to see Roger Waters a few years ago.

Taksraven

What concert did you have the chance to go to but turned it down and subsequently regretted?

My biggest regret would be that I didn't fork out $300 to see Roger Waters a few years ago.

Taksraven

I found out about the Fire Bomber concert that happened last summer (I think?) after it happened. I probably would have booked a trip to Japan for that show if I had known about it early enough to get tickets. It's geeky, but I'm sorry, that music rocks. Plus, it's an excuse to go to Japan again.

Taksraven

Cocteau Twins and Stone Roses top my list, along with Arthur Lee and Love (which is probably the most permanent, since he's, y'know, dead).

I was also really upset when I was a kid that I didn't get to see the Who in 1989, but in retrospect, I don't think I missed much.

On the plus side, I saw the Pixies three times in their prime, and I once saw Beck WAAAAAAY before anyone knew who he was, playing outisde the snack shack at Occidental College. I was also at the show at the late, lamented Raji's in Hollywood the night they filmed part of the video for "Loser," but I'm not in any of the footage.

I also saw Weezer a bunch of times, and managed to snag a backstage pass when they played the Universal Amphitheatre in '93...where I met Gene Simmons, who was also milling about the backstage area (weird night, folks).

Cocteau Twins and Stone Roses top my list, along with Arthur Lee and Love (which is probably the most permanent, since he's, y'know, dead).

I know what thats like. I was in the studio audience of a television show back in the 90's and was lucky enough to see Morphine perform live. A couple of years later the lead singer collapsed while performing a gig and died of a heart attack. For a 3-piece they had a fantastic sound live.

Taksraven

I know what thats like. I was in the studio audience of a television show back in the 90's and was lucky enough to see Morphine perform live. A couple of years later the lead singer collapsed while performing a gig and died of a heart attack. For a 3-piece they had a fantastic sound live.

Taksraven

Morphine was awesome. I listen to "yes" almost weekly. I've seen a few acts with members who have died. Most notably Alice In Chains, Nirvana (which was to this day the worst concert EVER), Blind Melon, and most tragically Skinny Puppy (lucky they got back together though). The best show I've ever seen though was Pop Will Eat Itself. Damn, I wish they'd come back for a new album.

The best show I've ever seen though was Pop Will Eat Itself. Damn, I wish they'd come back for a new album.

I was at a festival where PWEI played in 1995 and I STILL managed to miss them. D'oh to the power of D'oh. But I was lucky enough to see the band that was immediately after them on the same stage and that was Therapy? They rocked and I haven't had the chance to see them since. Also saw Faith No More, Nine Inch Nails, Primus, Lou Reed and the Violet Femmes as well as Bodycount at the same show. What a gig!

(Actually, it might have been lucky that I missed out on PWEI because during their set the forward crowd barrier collapsed and a fan was injured so badly he ended up as a paraplegic in a wheelchair for life. Bummer)

Taksraven

Anybody seen this yet.....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28144557/

As a NIN fan I fail to see how their music can be used as torture, but I guess it depends on what type of music you like.

Now Britney Spears over and over again would kill ME.

Taksraven

Anybody seen this yet.....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28144557/

As a NIN fan I fail to see how their music can be used as torture, but I guess it depends on what type of music you like.

Now Britney Spears over and over again would kill ME.

Taksraven

Oh, there are far worse things out there than Britney, believe me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiuHdUkuRi0

Vitas.

Opera 2 - http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ygJYxMP_ICY / his first single i am told by my missus. :)

Krikom - http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=flrga0mGh78 check out mid way, he goes right off, brings tears and shivers, he's f'n awesome.

There are others, just wanna share my fav first two, especially Krikom. :D

http://au.youtube.com/results?search_query..._type=&aq=f - general search

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Gee, you really are "Coming out" ;) ;)

Taksraven

You know the thing about me? I'm a trend setter. I picked up Fall Out Boy's new CD because that's the kind of music I listened to in high school over 10 years ago. Of course, it wasn't cool back then (and while you can argue the merits of whether or not it's cool now, it's definitely in[/]).

Reminds me of when I was in middle school, and the school newspaper was going around asking everyone what their favorite game was. Almost everyone said NBA Jam, but I got picked on for saying Final Fantasy II. Fast-forward to today, and Final Fantasy X, X-2, and XII were all in the top 25 all-time best-selling games for the PS2.

You know the thing about me? I'm a trend setter. I picked up Fall Out Boy's new CD because that's the kind of music I listened to in high school over 10 years ago. Of course, it wasn't cool back then (and while you can argue the merits of whether or not it's cool now, it's definitely in[/]).

Reminds me of when I was in middle school, and the school newspaper was going around asking everyone what their favorite game was. Almost everyone said NBA Jam, but I got picked on for saying Final Fantasy II. Fast-forward to today, and Final Fantasy X, X-2, and XII were all in the top 25 all-time best-selling games for the PS2.

Which music from more than 10 years ago do you think FOB sound like? Over ten years ago most of us were listening to the dying notes of grunge and alternative rock as Ricky Martin and new pop crap threatened to swamp us all.

I know what you mean about setting trends though. Back in the 80's, everybody had stupid games consoles. I had a C64 and I was playing games on that machine AND the Amiga for years after all the other idiots threw their consoles out.

Taksraven

Which music from more than 10 years ago do you think FOB sound like? Over ten years ago most of us were listening to the dying notes of grunge and alternative rock as Ricky Martin and new pop crap threatened to swamp us all.

I know what you mean about setting trends though. Back in the 80's, everybody had stupid games consoles. I had a C64 and I was playing games on that machine AND the Amiga for years after all the other idiots threw their consoles out.

Taksraven

Well, I think FOB's sound has become a little over-produced and commercial, as they keep putting out albums, but I've been listening to them since their "Evening Out With Your Girlfriend" album. So, I don't know that you hear it as much now as you did then, but my answer would be the Juliana Theory, Sunny Day Real Estate, MxPx, Jimmy Eat World, and a ton of bands that went as fast as them came. Pop punk, and the beginnings of the emo scene, I guess. With a few exceptions like Third Eye Blind, I managed to avoid most of the 90's alternative/grunge scene by by clinging to hair bands like Def Leppard, Extreme, and Queensryche before I started hanging around with the guys who'd go on to form the Juliana Theory. They're really the guys who turned me on to the whole pop punk thing... but hey, at the time it seemed like a smarter choice than ska.

Heh. Ten years ago I more or less stopped listening to any new music (except for the local bands that hadn't broken up) and started listening almost exclusively to sixties rock...and soon after that, I got into J-Pop in a big way, getting into Puffy, Shiina Ringo, and The Brilliant Green.

But I was always a little out of step with what everybody else liked. Throughout the ninties, I had no time for grunge...but I got pretty much everything that the record company 4AD released.

But I was always a little out of step with what everybody else liked. Throughout the ninties, I had no time for grunge...but I got pretty much everything that the record company 4AD released.

4AD!!!! OMG!!!!! LUSH!!!!!!!!

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=V9T1iyuBv3M

AND!!!!

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=2F4aHdMxM0k

AND!!!!!

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=buz5D8OWmRc

I really liked the first two when they came out, but when Hypocrite was released, WOW!!!

Aaannyway, glad we found some common ground.

Taksraven

4AD is what I was mostly listening to in college as well as ripping off Vaughn Oliver's artworks . Although more Bauhaus, Cocteau Twins and This Mortal Coil rather than late 90s Brit-pop... Kirsten Hersh too.

Me too. I only liked the gothy Beggars Banquent stuff on 4AD like Bauhaus, Peter Murphy (no, not Love and Rockets), Fields Of The Nephilim, Dead Can Dance, and Gene Loves Jezebel.

4AD!!!! OMG!!!!! LUSH!!!!!!!!

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=V9T1iyuBv3M

AND!!!!

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=2F4aHdMxM0k

AND!!!!!

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=buz5D8OWmRc

I really liked the first two when they came out, but when Hypocrite was released, WOW!!!

Aaannyway, glad we found some common ground.

Taksraven

I once pissed off Miki Berenyi so much at a Lush show that she threatened to walk off stage. The offending remark ("Your roots are showing!") made it into a Spin Magazine article about them AND was the title of a bootleg of the show.

There you go, that was my fifteen minutes of fame. ^_^ It made me feel pretty bad, though, because I really, really loved Lush. "Hypocrite" is great, but I still think "Sweetness and Light" is my favorite song of theirs, although it really bugged me that they cut out the squall of guitar noise for the video version...that little bit of dissonance totally MADE the song for me.

In 1994, pretty much all of the 4AD bands came to L.A. and played a week-long 4AD celebration...I managed to get into every show, and every in-store, and even managed to finagle my way into the wrap-up party...where I was crushed to see Heidi Berry (who I had a massive crush on) dancing a little too provactively with the (female) singer for Pale Saints. I also almost knocked over Lisa Gerrard.

On the plus side, I got to grab some lunch with Kim Deal and talk to the (incredibly hot) singers for His Name Is Alive.

I once pissed off Miki Berenyi so much at a Lush show that she threatened to walk off stage. The offending remark ("Your roots are showing!") made it into a Spin Magazine article about them AND was the title of a bootleg of the show.

There you go, that was my fifteen minutes of fame. ^_^ It made me feel pretty bad, though, because I really, really loved Lush. "Hypocrite" is great, but I still think "Sweetness and Light" is my favorite song of theirs, although it really bugged me that they cut out the squall of guitar noise for the video version...that little bit of dissonance totally MADE the song for me.

In 1994, pretty much all of the 4AD bands came to L.A. and played a week-long 4AD celebration...I managed to get into every show, and every in-store, and even managed to finagle my way into the wrap-up party...where I was crushed to see Heidi Berry (who I had a massive crush on) dancing a little too provactively with the (female) singer for Pale Saints. I also almost knocked over Lisa Gerrard.

On the plus side, I got to grab some lunch with Kim Deal and talk to the (incredibly hot) singers for His Name Is Alive.

I think that Lush toured Australia but rather stupidly I did not go. In a way, during the 90's I took a lot of the music and bands for granted. I thought that the diversity and the alternative scene would never end. Like many I have since found out that was not going to be the case and a lot of the great music from the 90's wasn't going to get much airplay and promotion beyond that decade.

I still listen to some new artists (as well as some of the old ones from the 90's that somehow survived) but today the music industry is nowhere near as diverse as it used to be. Most of the smaller, interesting, record labels have gone, but at least a lot of the smaller bands can now get their music out using the internet if they don't have a deal with one of the big companies.

Taksraven

• 2 weeks later...

That cover from Children of Bodom is so awful. Their version of "Talk Dirty to Me" is nails on a chalkboard too. Both of those are on the JP version of "Are You Dead Yet?

COB do a version of "Aces High" and "Shot in the Dark"..that aren't good either lol

Good band otherwise. They put on a good live show.

Currently listening to Nine Inch Nails (as always), Low, Nirvana, The Mark of Cain, Helmet and Tool and the non-music on my Iriver is Bill Hicks, Jello Biafra, Henry Rollins, the complete KYTV, and selected episodes of Macross Frontier and Father Ted.

Taksraven

Edit: AND I am going to see Nine Inch Nails twice next month, such sweet joy. Anybody else here planning on going to their Sydney shows, should have a little MW Aus convention?

Edited by taksraven

Lush was good (favorite was Carmen), but I loved Sleper & Echobelly more. And Graham, is Ash still around? Did they put out an album after 1977 (title, not year obviously).

Edited by Keith

Currently listening to Rob Zombie, King Crimson (early stuff), Ash, Crowded House, Black Sabbath and an 80's New Romantic compilation.

Oh and of course still listening to Macross Frontier OST 1 & 2.

Graham

I still remember playing the original Gran Turismo and being totally blown away by the kick-ass guitar riffs of Ash's "Lose Control."

Always got a little more excited for a race when I heard that TIE Fighter flyby start up in the background! B))