music

wyaxyz

I'm thinking about subscribing to Sirius as well, so I can tune into Howard Stern again. But, it's like $12 a month...lol...

It's so WORTH it!!! Once you get it you'll NEVER go back to terrestrial radio!

• 8 months later...

.. have almost all there is of Macross/soundtracks (Yokko is the best!) and you can't go past the original's and DYRL? brillance for dedicated "zone-out' listening. outside Macross, Metallica, Stabbing Westward, KoRn, Alice in Chains, Silverchair, Muse, Killers (more recently), AFI, My Chemical Romance, and others, i tend to be swayed heavily from watching movies and picking out particaluarly memoriable scenes and the music included in them, and i go from there.

For example, Street Fighter II the anime, my first intruduction to KoRn at the end credits "Blind". Brillant.

Doesn't stop there, Alice in Chains "Theme Bones" (where Ken is cruising in his Porsche) That made me buy the whole Music Box collection pack. Of course i have heard some of their songs before, but that song just did it for me. And of course Silverchair was in there too.

Cable Guy movie soundtrack had the Stabbing Westward remix last up, i bought all albums after hearing all of the first album (being the best).

anyways....

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

• 1 month later...
I listen to music that primarily date from the 1980's. Whether it's rock, anime theme songs, or J-pop, the majority of it dates back to that decade. Shows you how old I am. ^_^;;

If you like '80s J-Pop, are you a Kome Kome Club fan? They're awesome.

Most of my favorite stuff is from the '60s, and no, I wasn't around then...

I like a lot of '80s and '90s stuff as well, but not as much as Bob Dylan's trilogy of rock albums, the Velvet Underground (and/or Nico), The Beatles, The Pretty Things, The Move, France Gall, and the first two Nuggets box sets.

Edited by Gubaba

If you like '80s J-Pop, are you a Kome Kome Club fan? They're awesome.

I'm not a big fan of theirs but I do own one of their albums. The song "Roman Hikou" is a classic. I could listen to that song anyday.

Just lately I've become hooked on Momoi Halko :wub:

Just can't seem to stop playing her songs. So much energy and she really puts everything into her performances.

Solo or with Under 17, just give me more :p

I'm not a big fan of theirs but I do own one of their albums. The song "Roman Hikou" is a classic. I could listen to that song anyday.

Agreed. Very cool song.

So who do you recommend for '80s JPop? I like a lot of late '90s JPop stuff, but my '80s collection is small and random...

My tastes tend to vary:

Depeche Mode, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Queensryche, The Cure, Clan of Xymox, Tom Waits, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Japan/David Sylvian, U2, Nine Inch Nails, Einsturzende Neubauten, Alice In Chains, Bauhaus, Massive Attack, Portishead, Ladytron, B! Machine, Oingo Boingo, Velvet Underground, The Chameleons, Duran Duran, The Sundays, Slowdive, Lush, Bad Religion, The Clash, Joy Division, New Order, Midnight Oil, The Sisters of Mercy, Recoil, Soundgarden, Green River, Sky Cries Mary, Cocteau Twins, etc. etc.

I also have a wide variety of musical tastes:

Meltrandi (Female Artists): Bjork, Aretha Franklin, Roberta Flack, Sinead O'Connor, Astrud Gilberto, Jesca Hoop, Regina Spektor, Lilly Allen....

Recommended Album: "Bjork - Homogenic."

Reggae: (of course) Bob Marley, Lee Skratch Perry, Scientist, Mad Professor, Absynians, the Congos, Israel Vibration, Burning Spear, Misty in Roots...

Recommended Album: "Bob Marley - Survival"

Jazz: (of course) Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Eric Dolphy, Sun Ra, Modern Jazz Quartet,

Recommended Album: "Miles Davis - In A silent Way"

Soul/Funk: in addition to Aretha Franklin and Roberta flack mentioned above, Cymande, Sly and the Family Stone, Funkadelic, Ray Charles, James Brown, Stevie Wonder...

Recommended Album: "Stevie Wonder - Innervisions"

Electronica: Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Boards of Canada, autechra...

Recommended Album: "Squarepusher - Big Loada"

Blues: Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, Howlin Wolf, Robert Johnson, Skip James...

Recommended Album: "Howlin Wolf - the real Folk Blues"

Rock&Pop: Jimi Hendrix, Led Zepplin, the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Velvet Underground, mahavishnu orchestra , the Police, Radiohead, Woven....

Recommended Album: (Since you all are most likely familiar with this genre I will recommend something you probably have not heard) "WOVEN - 8 bit monk"

Metal: Metallica.

Recommended Album: "Metallica - And justice for all"

Very interesting list miriya I think I found a kindred spirit on these boards with respect to the vast landscape of music I enjoy :) Decades or genres generally mean very little to me; music stands or falls on it's own merits.

Very interesting list miriya I think I found a kindred spirit on these boards with respect to the vast landscape of music I enjoy :) Decades or genres generally mean very little to me; music stands or falls on it's own merits.

That is great! It makes me happy to hear this. Considering that art is so subjective, it is cool when people agree on liking something.

Of course we probably all agree on the aesthetic beauty of Shoji Kawamori's designs, which (at least partly if not mostly) brings us to these forums.

BTW I love the new mecha manual site. Such a great resource and with a great look too.

Agreed. Very cool song.

So who do you recommend for '80s JPop? I like a lot of late '90s JPop stuff, but my '80s collection is small and random...

That depends on what kind of music you like... but let's see...

Well, you can't go wrong with Anzen Chitai.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz8e-lPJBrs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPcIpV3gBUU

PSY*S is good too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3s_9FlyUw0

For J-pop idol singers, there's plenty to choose from. Idol singers were all the rage during the 80's and Macross is indicative of that era. :)

Among my favorites (not including Iijima Mari) include...

Oginome Yoko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52zuLDC7V7s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zycYQQHv3fc

and

Nakamori Akina

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2tWKU0CY3I

and

Utoku Keiko/Mi-Ke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbUgVt43UY0

Edited by Vifam7

That is great! It makes me happy to hear this. Considering that art is so subjective, it is cool when people agree on liking something.

Of course we probably all agree on the aesthetic beauty of Shoji Kawamori's designs, which (at least partly if not mostly) brings us to these forums.

BTW I love the new mecha manual site. Such a great resource and with a great look too.

Indeed. And thank you for the praise.

I like several of the artists you've mentioned. Bob Marley (don't you love how Reymond Marley in Macross Plus was modeled after Bob?), Miles Davis, Ray Charles, James Brown, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, The Police, Radiohead...all stuff I love. Do you like John Lee Hooker? I like some of his stuff too. I'm also a big fan of Massive Attack and I like some Aphex Twin as well. I'm a little embarrassed to say I've not heard much by Boards of Canada, which is a rarity since I'm typically up on most homegrown rock. Have you listened to any other canuck artists? The Hip? New stuff like Broken Social Scene or Feist? I also have a big soft spot for UK rock whether it's older stuff or newer stuff from The Kinks, to The Clash to Oasis to Stereophonics. Any classical music preferences? Dvorak, Holst, that kind of thing?

Indeed. And thank you for the praise.

I like several of the artists you've mentioned. Bob Marley (don't you love how Reymond Marley in Macross Plus was modeled after Bob?), Miles Davis, Ray Charles, James Brown, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, The Police, Radiohead...all stuff I love. Do you like John Lee Hooker? I like some of his stuff too. I'm also a big fan of Massive Attack and I like some Aphex Twin as well. I'm a little embarrassed to say I've not heard much by Boards of Canada, which is a rarity since I'm typically up on most homegrown rock. Have you listened to any other canuck artists? The Hip? New stuff like Broken Social Scene or Feist? I also have a big soft spot for UK rock whether it's older stuff or newer stuff from The Kinks, to The Clash to Oasis to Stereophonics. Any classical music preferences? Dvorak, Holst, that kind of thing?

Wow. I am going to have to watch mac+ again! I did not realize that.

I do like John Lee Hooker too. I love his cameo in the Blues Brothers movie.

Massive attack, Definitely.

No need to be embarrassed, I have never heard of the Hip, Broken Social Scene, Feist, or Stereophonics. Although now I will have to check those out.

Do like the kinks and the clash.

I did forget to put classical and Punk in my list (I did not forget country - I just never got into that genre - there is some folk stuff that I can tolerate but overall it gets my aversion vote).

I do love quite a bit of classical music and some of it I just do not dig at all. However most of it I do not know who the composer is. I do need to educate myself on this genre for sure. I do know that I like Mozart, Bach, Vivaldi, and Brahms from what I have heard. Erick Satie (spelling) and John Cage too for more contemporary.

As for Punk, Dead Kennedys and Crass.

Oh and I love world music.

Everything from traditional Indian Classical music, to all types of African music (including Alla Faka Ture -spelling?), and latin stuff from Flamingo to Cuban and Andean.

I absolutely love the Asian underground; Talvin Singh, Karsh Kale, State of Bengal, DJ Cheb I Sabha, etc...

Nusrat fateh Ali Khan is probably the most amazing male vocalist ever to live. I had the great fortune to see him live before he passed and was probably the #1 concert of my life (Tied with Bjork).

Asha Bholse is incredible. I am not too keen on the Bollywood stuff but her album with Ali Akbar Khan, "Legacy" is absolutely gorgeous and her cameo in "One Giant Leap" is awesome!

Also, I dig on the Gyuto Monks of Tibet, with that low sub bass throat chanting. And I love the higher pitched overtone harmonics of the Tuvan stlye throat chanting.

Yeah, so world music of course too.

• 3 weeks later...

I mostly listen to Fire Bomber and Lyn Minmey :)

My favorite song is the Basara/Minmey duet on Angel Voice.

Submarine Street and Try Again are much loved and from Minmey I like Love Flows Away.

As for other bands - I greatly enjoy Spinal Tap; particularly Stone Henge. Big Bottom and Bitch School are ok too.

As for other music - I like Alice Cooper, Poison, Bruce Springstien, Stan Bush, and the Smashing Pumpkins.

VFTF1

I love buckethead! I have seen him live many times. I saw him with Giant Robot II, as his solo act, with Devil Dub, I did miss the GnR tour with him but I did see him up close when he played my buddie's wedding and also with Les Claypool and Brain. What a crazy guitarist! He is fantastic!

I also wanted to mention another genre that I had missed in my above posts which is Hip Hop. I am generally not much into hip hop very much but there is one album that I greatly recommend by Acyealone called "Book of Human Language". It is a masterpiece.

I can't even remember if I ever posted in this thread or not.

Anyway, I like any and all genres of music as long as it is good; meanwhile bad music just makes me so angry...

Anyway, off the top of my head, here are classic albums I would happily spend my days on a desert island with:

The Who -- Live at Leeds (The extended 2 CD remastered edition with the whole concert plus the entire hour-length rendition of "Tommy"), Bruce Springsteen -- Born to Run, The Doobie Brothers -- The Captain and Me; Led Zeppelin - too many to choose; Boston -- 1st album; Queen -- Greatest Hits I; Joan Baez -- Gracias a la Vida (Here's to Life); Macross -- Rhapsody in Love (not just 'cause I had to throw this in -- it's simply awesome); Supertramp -- Breakfast in America; Marvin Gaye -- What's Going On; The Blues Brothers OST.... etc

I'm listening a lot to radio these days. Any Jazz fans here, take a listen to this station, I constantly have it on recently: Jazz & Blues KKJZ 88.1FM Long Beach University California. They stream online.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Actually I pretty much like anything unless its music written for stupid people... Like Country or Rap.

I have too many teeth and not enough engine blocks on my lawn to like country, and I don't wear enough ill-fitting clothes or idolize criminals enough to like rap.

Wow, years go by and nothing changes. I listen to a lot of really OLD stuff lately. Beatles and such. No reason really.

• 4 weeks later...
I also have a wide variety of musical tastes:

Electronica: Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Boards of Canada, autechra...

Recommended Album: "Squarepusher - Big Loada"

Woah, I never check this thread because in the past I've been led to the conclusion that my musical tastes are far too different from anyone else here, but I just noticed you listed Boards of Canada! I've had a deep appreciation for them going on 10 or more years now. I'm not much for car stickers but I have a vinyl die-cut Boards of Canada sticker that shares the rear window on my car with a Macross kite sticker. I also really enjoy Aphex Twin, Squarepusher and Autechre. I haven't paid much attention to Squarepusher's last few releases but my favorites are Hard Normal Daddy, Big Loada & Burningn'nTree.

I'm not as into electronic music as I used to be, but I still love it whenever I put it on.

I listen to a lot of older music. Some favorites are Django Reinhardt, Bix Biederbecke, Fats Waller, Bob Wills & the Texas Playboys, Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass, Stan Getz, Astrud Gilberto, Miles Davis, Gabor Szabo.

The more recent music I listen to regularly consists of a lot of 'indie rock' (i'm using the term here even though I don't like it): Animal Collective, Panda Bear, Bon Iver, Grizzly Bear, Fleet Foxes, Mojave 3, My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Red House Painters and the list could go on but I'm sure these bands have already made most of you throw up a little. :)

Of course my grand-daddy all-time-favorite love-him-more-than-anyone-else musician is Tom Waits. Early Tom, 80's Tom, current Tom, it's all wonderful to me. Just got to see him live for the second time in June and it was magnificent. One of the few remaining true artists out there.