Sci Fi/Fantasy movies

Dragonslayer--early 80's sword & sorcery flick-by Disney no less; and arguably still one of the ass kickingest flicks in its genre. Yeah, the stop motion special effects may look dated compared to today's CGI flash fests, but that dragon was still one mean bi--h. Still one of my all time favorite movie monsters. The scene with the priest at the dragon's cave is simply raw dog! This movie leaves that craptacular "Reign of Fire" up in smoke. A classic.

definetely awsome flick...I actualy prefer the go-motion animated dragon in that flick to all the CGI dragons combined from Riegn of Fire :p

But I'm bias...I prefer stopmotion over CGI anyday!

And if you like Harryhausen, then check out Q-the winged serpent and other flicks stopmotion wizard David Allen worked on (he assisted with the SFX on Robojox)

Clash of the Titans--another classic. IIRC, the last film that the great Ray Harryhausen(sp?) actually did the special effects for, working his magic with stop motion animation. Packed full of adventure, heroes, and a whole slew of creatures and characters from Greek mythology, from Pegasus the winged horse to the mighty Cracken. A must see.

Big thumbs up, from me...another webboard I've hang around on ( http://www.stopmotionanimation.com/ ) has some of the industry giants of SFX posting on it...well giants of stopmotion...Ray has posted there, Jim Danforth (who animated the Pegasus flying scenes in Clash of the Titans) is a semi regular...Even old stopmotion pros whom have converted to CGI stop by to say high like Randy Cook from WETA workshop (of Gollum, and now King Kong fame), and Phil Tippit (formaly of ILM, and animator on Dragonslayer, SW:Empire Strikes Back, etc... and now owner/founder of Tippit studios whom did the Starship Troopers CGI bugs and lots more)...not to mention the board is run by one of the animators on Nightmare Before Christmas...absolutely fascinateing stuff, if you are into it. :D

For Sci Fi TV series, I'd also recommend Firefly.

Graham

This was a great series that never gets the respect it deserves. I'm still pissed at Fox for bailing on it! Of course, they're also bailing on "Arrested Development" and that's another great show! But that's not sci-fi, so ignore my small rant and just watch "Firefly" and its movie that should be coming out soon, "Serenity".

Graham

This was a great series that never gets the respect it deserves. I'm still pissed at Fox for bailing on it! Of course, they're also bailing on "Arrested Development" and that's another great show! But that's not sci-fi, so ignore my small rant and just watch "Firefly" and its movie that should be coming out soon, "Serenity".

I'll be there when it opens in September. ;)

Graham

SERENITY NOW!

Graham

SERENITY NOW!

sounds like a feminine product :lol:

Graham

SERENITY NOW!

sounds like a feminine product :lol:

Maybe Elaine used it... ;)

Here are some recommendations (in addition to the ones already suggested...):

- Gattaca

- THX1138

- Metropolis

- Cube

- Dark City

- The Thing

- Mad Max

- Solaris

Anime-wise:

- Gall Force

- Gasaraki

- Gunbuster

- Voices of a Distant Star

- Beyond the Clouds, the Promised Place

- AD Police (the series as well as the OAV)

- Armitage III

- Blue Gender

- Now and Then, Here and There

- Grey

- Iria Zeiram

- Jin Roh

- Patlabor 1 & 2

- Princess Mononoke

- Sol Bianca

- The Wind of Amnesia

- Megazone23

- Robot Carnival

- Serial Experiments Lain

- Silent Möbius

That should be enough for today... :p

The Running Man.

One of the better early Arnie movies along with the Conan series. Lots of his cheesy one liners.

I'd always remember this one.

Some dude : Jesus Christ!

Arnie : Guess again.

You have good taste my man!

arnoldavatar.gif

I remember I used to have this argument with a friend of mine... who would win, Blue Thunder or Airwolf? I was always the Blue Thunder fan.

Of course, the Firefox would kill them both!

I think from a stated capability standpoint Airwolf was better, but totally NOT feasable. I mean come on, it was a helicopter with sonic capabilities... :rolleyes:

I remember I used to have this argument with a friend of mine... who would win, Blue Thunder or Airwolf? I was always the Blue Thunder fan.

Of course, the Firefox would kill them both!

I think from a stated capability standpoint Airwolf was better, but totally NOT feasable. I mean come on, it was a helicopter with sonic capabilities... :rolleyes:

yeah and Blue Thunder can do a vertical loop? I prefer watching Blue Thunder but Airwolf was an afterthought, so like you said, it's capabilty standpoint was made to beat choppers like BT and even jets... you're talking about 2 different planes of reality there.

A few personal favourites:

Doctor Who: okay, okay, yes, the effects were paid for out of the tea kitty, and its had as many downs as ups. But: Daleks! Cybermen! Yeti! The TARDIS! Davros! Tom Baker!

Stand out story arcs include "Genesis of the Daleks" and "Earthshock", but the best part is that a new, much updated series featuring the ninth incarnation of the Doctor will be out soon.

The Princess Bride: the lesson to be learned from this film is that a small budget can go a long way if you have a good script - and The Princess Bride probably has one of the most quotable scripts around.

Jason & The Argonauts: you want complex? You want epic? Well, how about every major

player from Greek mythology, lovingly bought to life by the legendary Ray Harryhausen?

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Can't go wrong with the original Alien and Aliens... but stop watching after Aliens lest your rage get the better of you.

Also not so much sci fi as it is comedy but check out the BBC miniseries "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" as well as Ice Pirates (finally on DVD!).

If you don't mind strange british humor I'd also recommend Red Dwarf. One of those great smart dumb series.

Another good BBC series is Doctor Who. It ran for 26 years, includes many novels, audio adventures, and a new series starting this year. Low budget but a lot of fun.

new doctor who is beign made

Oh yeah, how could I foget Blue Thunder? The aerial sequences in that movie are some of the best that are to be seen on film. What, with today's dependence on CGI props and action scenes, the skill and sheer balls of the stunt pilots in this movie are something to behold. You'll not likely see that sort of skill/work in today's crop of artificially created action flicks...