Porco Rosso

jwinges

God I wish they would have chosen somebody else to voice Porco. Its like listening to Batman voice the role of a fat pig. The voice for the American pilot sucks as well.

Hopefully Nausicaa is better

I haven't picked up the disks yet (still doing comparison shopping, Wal-Mart or Costco...), so I really can't say. Hopefully by the end of the week, they'll be mine!

But luckly there's the original Japanese soundtrack on the disk, so at least you have something else to listen to...

Out of all my Miyazaki disks, Princess Mononoke and Castle of Cagliostro have the best English dubs, and Laputa: Castle in the Sky has the worst. Kiki's Delivery Service and Spirited Away fall into the normal catagory...

Knowing what Lupin's Japanese voice sounds like, and hearing the dub give him the stereotypical American "hero" voice (something wich does not suit him at all) I cannot agree to the Castle Cagliostro dub, and the word "best" being in the same sentence.

I'm just thankful beyond words that there is finally a Region 1 release of Nausicaa with the original japanese dialogue, good subtitles, and no editing. Watching my Region 2 DVD of Nausicaa was a pain in the ass, since I have no player of my own for Region 2 DVDs. Granted, it was a fantastic edition the japanese finally released, but I've only watched it once since I bought it last year :(

I won't be watching the dub for some time, but I'll watch the original japanese with subtitles and post my reactions. So far, this new Region 1 Nausicaa DVD looks sweet!

Edited by Mr March

I'm just thankful beyond words that there is finally a Region 1 release of Nausicaa with the original japanese dialogue, good subtitles, and no editing.  Watching my Region 2 DVD of Nausicaa was a pain in the ass, since I have no player of my own for Region 2 DVDs.  Granted, it was a fantastic edition the japanese finally released, but I've only watched it once since I bought it last year :(

I won't be watching the dub for some time, but I'll watch the original japanese with subtitles and post my reactions.  So far, this new Region 1 Nausicaa DVD looks sweet!

:blink: Mr. March, why not pick up a philip DVD 642 for all your R2 DVDs? it's the best region free DVD player (with a code of course). The best part is it plays Divx AVI too! imagine just burning your Mac0 to a DVD or CD and just pop it into the player :D This DVD has progressive scan, component/S-Video, optic out, and it has one of the best PAL conversion (better than any DVD players I have seen, and I went through alot :p ) and the price is $69.99 USD cheaper than a 1/60 <_< Just do a google and you'll find it

Edited by Gunbuster

Ah...you're talking about dubbing........phew! For a moment, when I started reading this thread, I had nightmare visions of a live-action version with Michael Keaton in the lead role, wearing a fake pig nose.

Graham

When I read the title I thought the exact same thing.

The best thing abotu bad dubbing... there's always the Japanese language track.

Knowing what Lupin's Japanese voice sounds like, and hearing the dub give him the stereotypical American "hero" voice (something wich does not suit him at all) I cannot agree to the Castle Cagliostro dub, and the word "best" being in the same sentence.

And the "Rick Hunter" played him in the TV series dub....Lupan hasn't been a very lucky fellow.

Ah...you're talking about dubbing........phew! For a moment, when I started reading this thread, I had nightmare visions of a live-action version with Michael Keaton in the lead role, wearing a fake pig nose.

Graham

me too... I just had a very brief sick to my stomach feeling when I saw this thread before seeing what it was about. whew. :rolleyes:

I mean "best" as in the voices don't want to make me drive sharp pointy things into my ears.

Plus it sounds like the American VAs were having a heck of a lot of fun playing the cast in Castle of Cagliostro...

:blink: Mr. March, why not pick up a philip DVD 642 for all your R2 DVDs? it's the best region  free DVD player (with a code of course). The best part is it plays Divx AVI too! imagine just burning your Mac0 to a DVD or CD and just pop it into the player  :D  This DVD has progressive scan, component/S-Video, optic out, and it has one of the best PAL conversion (better than any DVD players I have seen, and I went through alot  :p  ) and the price is $69.99 USD  cheaper than a 1/60  <_<  Just do a google and you'll find it

Note: NEVER code your Phillips 642 for Region 0 or "Regionless" as it can permanently lock up the player and you can never use it again. EVER.

My buddy and I both bought a 642 and he tried Region 0 on his and, slam, locked up for good. The safest route is to constantly recode your player depending on which region the DVD your playing is for (it's terribly easy).

My one qualm about the 642 is that it

:blink: Mr. March, why not pick up a philip DVD 642 for all your R2 DVDs? it's the best region  free DVD player (with a code of course). The best part is it plays Divx AVI too! imagine just burning your Mac0 to a DVD or CD and just pop it into the player  :D  This DVD has progressive scan, component/S-Video, optic out, and it has one of the best PAL conversion (better than any DVD players I have seen, and I went through alot  :p  ) and the price is $69.99 USD  cheaper than a 1/60   <_<   Just do a google and you'll find it

Note: NEVER code your Phillips 642 for Region 0 or "Regionless" as it can permanently lock up the player and you can never use it again. EVER.

My buddy and I both bought a 642 and he tried Region 0 on his and, slam, locked up for good. The safest route is to constantly recode your player depending on which region the DVD your playing is for (it's terribly easy).

REally?!! :blink: I have 3 of them in my house and all of them are set to "0" same with all my friends <_< err.. I'll keep this in mind, you know there's an update firmware, right?

Edited by Gunbuster

:blink: Mr. March, why not pick up a philip DVD 642 for all your R2 DVDs? it's the best region  free DVD player (with a code of course). The best part is it plays Divx AVI too! imagine just burning your Mac0 to a DVD or CD and just pop it into the player  :D  This DVD has progressive scan, component/S-Video, optic out, and it has one of the best PAL conversion (better than any DVD players I have seen, and I went through alot  :p  ) and the price is $69.99 USD  cheaper than a 1/60   <_<   Just do a google and you'll find it

REally?!! :blink: I have 3 of them in my house and all of them are set to "0" same with all my friends <_< err.. I'll keep this in mind, you know there's an update firmware, right?

Oops. My mistake. It's the Phillips DVD727 which can lock up like that.

I'm just thankful beyond words that there is finally a Region 1 release of Nausicaa with the original japanese dialogue, good subtitles, and no editing.  Watching my Region 2 DVD of Nausicaa was a pain in the ass, since I have no player of my own for Region 2 DVDs.  Granted, it was a fantastic edition the japanese finally released, but I've only watched it once since I bought it last year :(

I won't be watching the dub for some time, but I'll watch the original japanese with subtitles and post my reactions.  So far, this new Region 1 Nausicaa DVD looks sweet!

:blink: Mr. March, why not pick up a philip DVD 642 for all your R2 DVDs? it's the best region free DVD player (with a code of course). The best part is it plays Divx AVI too! imagine just burning your Mac0 to a DVD or CD and just pop it into the player :D This DVD has progressive scan, component/S-Video, optic out, and it has one of the best PAL conversion (better than any DVD players I have seen, and I went through alot :p ) and the price is $69.99 USD cheaper than a 1/60 <_< Just do a google and you'll find it

I could, but it seems rather silly to have two players when 99% of my DVDs are Region one. I own very few international DVDs.

Really? And how would one accomplish this terribly easy procedure? I've got a Toshiba SD-2700.

http://www.videohelp.com/

Look at left side links. Lists of many DVD players, what kinds of disks they can handle, and what sorts of region/macrovision hacks are available.

I saw the TV ad for Nausicaa; didn't know that Porco Rosso was also out. Great! I've only seen PR once, and my wife hasn't ever seen it. Will get both of course, even though I have a fansub of Nausicaa on tape.

I don't really care about the dubs but I remember intensely disliking Billy Bob Thornton as the monk in Mononoke. My feeling is that the actors chosen for the dubs are picked for their names, not their suitability for the roles, and that they either don't put enough effort into it, or the the dub direction is lousy, or both.

But regarding the Lupin III dub--I don't know about other versions (I have the Manga Cagliostro but I can't remember what the dub sounds like); however I like the TV dub done by Pioneer (?) that gets shown on Cartoon Network. The script translation is also quite good there--not necessarily for accuracy, but certainly for snappiness and natural dialog. Hmmm...seems that Tony Oliver did work on that one. Well, I think he did a fine job.

Totoro wasn't released...I heard because of problems with FoxFamily who released the first Totoro. You can get the fox family one for like $7 at best buy.

Disney decided to release The Cat Returns instead of Totoro.

I wish disney would realize that tagging a hollywood actor to an anime title doesn't improve the movie...they would be better off getting somebody from ADV or Bandai to do the voice work...this is especially true for the male voices. Most of the women can be dubbed with acceptable results.

The Fox Family Totoro is fine for little kids, but it doesn't have a Japanese soundtrack and it's in 4:3 (non-widescreen). Also, while the script and voice direction aren't bad, the woman who does Satsuki's voice doesn't sound like a little girl.

According to Nausicaa.net, the reason for the Totoro delay is because of technical problems with the transfer. I don't see anything about interference by Fox Family.

Other news from Nausicaa.net says that Disney is planning a live-action Kiki's Delivery Service. Er, whatever. When are they going to do a live action Steamboat Willy? Actually, it sounds like the new work will be based off the books by Eiko Kadano; hopefully it won't be a straight port of the cartoon to live action.

Also noted: if you buy all three of Nausicaa, PR, and The Cat Returns, you can mail in for a free copy of Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, or Castle in the Sky.

Other news from Nausicaa.net says that Disney is planning a live-action Kiki's Delivery Service. Er, whatever. When are they going to do a live action Steamboat Willy? Actually, it sounds like the new work will be based off the books by Eiko Kadano; hopefully it won't be a straight port of the cartoon to live action.

Also noted: if you buy all three of Nausicaa, PR, and The Cat Returns, you can mail in for a free copy of Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, or Castle in the Sky.

Why? I don't see a need for a liev action Kiki as it will be kind alike Sabrina the teenage Witch the way things are produced here int he US.

Plus, that free DVD offer is useless to me. I own allt he DVDs already and have had extra copies to the point I've donated them to college's animation library......

The Nasicca dub is pretty okay...much better then that "princess of the wind" crap :p

I've found most of the new dubs to be fair to above average...worst offender is Grave of the fireflies...they really needed to use a little girl rather then a high pitched voice actress for that one, it looses all emotional impact when she sounds like that compared to the very natural sounding original track.

Why? I don't see a need for a liev action Kiki as it will be kind alike Sabrina the teenage Witch the way things are produced here int he US.

Who knows? It's Disney. But I have read that the original books are fairly different from Miyazaki's movie, so at least in theory a live-action version could be worthwhile. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Plus, that free DVD offer is useless to me. I own allt he DVDs already and have had extra copies to the point I've donated them to college's animation library......

I plan on giving the free DVD to a friend or relative.

I was very happy with the Nausicaa DVD. I've been waiting for a subbed version of this to come out since I saw the original uncut 15 years ago. It was a great day when this DVD took its place on my shelf, while my ancient 'Warriors of the Wind" VHS tape took a header into my garbage can.

All I know is thank gawd for the original Japanese dialogue/tracks! I rarely listen/watch any foreign films that a butchered with the English redubs. I will commend however Billy Crudup as Ashitaka and Billy Bob Thorton as Jigo in Mononoke Hime. Both did an excellent job with the voice acting and it matched the original efforts IMO. Sadly the rest were meh.

Well at least PR is finally coming out! Now if they'd just release on dvd Whisper of the Heart and Umi ga Kikoeru aka I Can Hear the Sea. :unsure:

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

I plan on giving the free DVD to a friend or relative.

Yep, my sister just told me she wants Kiki so I'll get that free DVD for her.