Constantine

wolfx

John Constantine is the "Cancer-man" of the comic world with a whole load more bad-ass. I'm surprised nobody has posted about the movie. As someone who hasn't read the Hellblazer comics, I was quite impressed with the movie adaptation. Special effects were cool. Story was intriguing although abit messy at some parts. Keanu Reeves is....well....Keanu Reeves. But he fits the role well since John Constantine is just the kinda character who is stoic and sarcastic.

After watching the movie, I did a little research and found out Constantine did alot of cameos all over the place, most notably in Swampthing comics. :blink: He also cameo-ed in Sandman which I've read and forgot since it was long ago. And OT from this research was I even more boggled with the various cameos/crossovers all over the place in regards to D.C Comic universes.

What you think of the movie and how it compares to the comics?

Constantine was actually created by Alan Moore for the Swamp Thing comics; made his debut there, then went on to Hellblazer.

Haven't watched the movie yet; does Keanu even sound remotely British?

Oh. Thanks for that info. ;)

No...Constantine is portrayed as an American in the movie.

There was a Hell Blazer site that said the movie was mediocre....but i thought it was pretty good in its own right. Oh well...fanboys will be fanboys. :lol:

i thought it looked cool in the trailer i saw, i might check it out. as for it holding up with out having any knowledge of the characters background, in reality most movies that you see you do not really know the background of the characters until you see the movie. even if you are unfamiliar with the work that is already out there, it probably will not be to hard to get into it and understand whats going on, so you probably should have no problem understanding it.

chris

then why are you posting in this thread Duke? god...

Please, just Duke will do fine. And the last time I checked, this was a place to express opinions, and I did so. Perhaps you didn't notice, but Graham expressed similiar sentiments a few posts prior to this one. No comments for him?

And hey, give Keanu a big kiss on the lips for me the next time you see him.

Kind of looking forward to seeing it for an odd reason.

My friend insists that I bear resemblance to Keanu Reeves. I do not see it. It is not true.

And I've always insisted that she reminds me of Rachael Weisz. She adamantly denies it.

And lo, I find that "we" are actually in a movie together, which is actually one of the last cast pairings I'd ever expect. It might be amusing for that novelty.

-Al

I probably liked it because I have some pseudo-knowledge on the occult and doomsday prophecies. I dunno. I thought it was a good movie...at least with all the crap hollywood is currently churning out, this one stands out.

And I am by default an Alan Moore/ Gaiman/Vertigo fan...so all's good. ;)

I must admit, that while I think this movie is devoid of any worth for a viewer like myself, the theatrical poster for Constantine is a very nice piece of artwork. It has a certain distinctiveness that is unique despite its simple desing. Yet, it is that simplicity that catches my eye everytime. The theme of the poster is also very suitable for the subject matter of the film.

Edited by Mr March

Its been ages sense I've read Hellblazer...but I always pictured someone a bit more rugged and world weary in the role :rolleyes:

Course the first time I saw the Constantine trailer, I thought they had went and made another Matrix film :p

This is one I can definetely wait for on video ;)

I probably liked it because I have some pseudo-knowledge on the occult and doomsday prophecies. I dunno. I thought it was a good movie...at least with all the crap hollywood is currently churning out, this one stands out.

And I am by default an Alan Moore/ Gaiman/Vertigo fan...so all's good. ;)

Wolfx, aren't you in the LA area? They had a special screening at the Shrine Con.

I'm gonna see it next week, but like MSW said, the look is very close to the Matrix. There must be a shortage in british actors when they can't find someone suitable for this and 007.

I've been collecting Hellblazer since issue 48. So I am a bit worried. I might miss it purely cos I don't think it could measure up. Like Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas. I heard good things about that movie too but could never bring myself to watch it. Didn't want it polluting my ideas about the book.

Saw it over CNY. Never read Hellblazer or knew of the background story for the movie.

Was it worth the 40 HKD ~ 5.50 USD? Yes.

Good effects, nice story, and sarcastic humor. The hell scenes, demons and angel effects were top notch, but not enough of it. There were also not a lot of "fill in the gap" for those who knew nothing about the comics, and at times, Keanu was Keanu...

At times, it was slow and not enough guns blazing or killing for me, but hey, I'm one of the few here that actually likes Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael Bay movies. Action wise, I thought Underworld was much much better.

They left the movie opened for a second chapter.

If Keanu can improve his performance from the first Matrix up to the third, and repeat it here, then I would look forward to the next possible sequel.

I'm probably going to check it out. I mean, I'm sure it's not going to be the best movie I'll see this year. Hell, it might be the worst movie I see this year. But, it's not like there's anything else playing. I mean, I hadn't seen a movie in the theater since 'The Grudge', so I finally broke down and went to see 'Hitch.' And let's not even mention crap like 'The Boogeyman.'

I'm usually leery of anything featuring Keanu in the lead role, but this movie has been getting some really positive buzz from some critics that I tend to rely on. I think I'll take a chance and see this one theatrically.

Keanu's not great, but he's tolerable, and a decent story or supporting cast could make up for it. I'd definately rather watch Keanu than Nicholas Cage.

Someone on rotten tomatoes said there's something..."denouement" after the credits. Damn. I didn't know...and left the cinema before that. Make sure u guys stick around to find out what that is. I wanna know.

If Keanu can improve his performance from the first Matrix up to the third

You thought his acting improved?? Maybe its just me, but he is one of those actors that has kept popping up in movies over the past 15 years, and I just can't figure out why.

Mmmm... let me go on with my 2 cents:

1.- Keanu. Well, he is... just Keanu, as somebody stated earlier. He's got his limits and some caracters just don't... fit in him (...) :lol:

2.- Mighty Constantine: created by one of the masters, Alan Moore, who was inspired in Sting for the physical apparience and who knows how many other things. :o

Conclussion: I bet Keanu is not blonde and, even with 30 beers or more in me, I CAN see the differences. And, last but not least, John Constantine is one of the most cocky caracters ever (how many people do you know that showed up a middle finger to the devil and are still alive :p ). Well, Mr. Reaves reminds me TOO MUCH that stupid WOW-face showed up in matrix.

He's not worthy for Constantine. :unsure:

regds,

Manu

Mmmm... let me go on with my 2 cents:

1.- Keanu. Well, he is... just Keanu, as somebody stated earlier. He's got his limits and some caracters just don't... fit in him (...) :lol:

2.- Mighty Constantine: created by one of the masters, Alan Moore, who was inspired in Sting for the physical apparience and who knows how many other things. :o

Conclussion: I bet Keanu is not blonde and, even with 30 beers or more in me, I CAN see the differences. And, last but not least, John Constantine is one of the most cocky caracters ever (how many people do you know that showed up a middle finger to the devil and are still alive :p ). Well, Mr. Reaves reminds me TOO MUCH that stupid WOW-face showed up in matrix.

He's not worthy for Constantine. :unsure:

regds,

Manu

Well, I'll confess to not reading Hellblazer (or any of DC/Vertigo's comics), and frankly, I think Alan Moore is ridiculously overrated (the bastard ruined Jim Lee's WildC.A.T.S). So, while Keanu might not fit the part, I'm sure as hell glad not to see another wise-ass Englishman.

Fun fact: only movie I've seen in the last three years where the characters spoke with an English accent that I actually enjoyed was Shaun of the Dead.

I think Moore came out with some superb series in the 80's (V for vendetta, Watchmen, League of X Gentlemen, Swamp Thing) then went loopy. Brought out poetry and crap.

Anyway, the movie's largely based on Garth Ennis' interpretation of John. Not much Moore in there. Forget the movie comic adapation and go find a trade paperback of 'Dangerous Habits', the 5 part series the movie is in part based on. One of my favourite ever stories in a comic.

PS - Judging by the 'touch of death' Alan Moore movie adapations have, the Wachowski (sp) bros making V for Vendetta should be a shambles.