NEW Official MPC Thread!!!

Hey, There's a guy selling the MPC alpha on EBAY and i was wondering if this is possible?!?!?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=16467

It distinctly says pre-order on the description.

ugh the red Rook/Houquet MPC looks like a gashapon toy with that blue canopy

I'm beginning to think that the blue canopy is final...unless the inside cockpit isn't done yet.

Has anyone checked with Kevin to see what the word is on the canopy?

Even though I promissed myself I wasn't going to do it I broke down and preordered the first MPC Alpha/Legioss from Twin Moon Anime...the free shipping offer did it. I figured that this MPC will be much more popular and hold its value better than their VF-1 line (no Yamato, Bandai or Banpresto to offer competition, and, although expensive, cheaper than the old Gakken alternative), and I have a feeling tha if I wait too long it just might sell out and leave me in the lurch. The other releases I'll probably wait for the probable MPC price drop.

Edited by mechaninac

Even though I promissed myself I wasn't going to do it I broke down and preordered the first MPC Alpha/Legioss from Twin Moon Anime...the free shipping offer did it. I figured that this MPC will be much more popular and hold its value better than their VF-1 line (no Yamato, Bandai or Banpresto to offer competition, and, although expensive, cheaper than the old Gakken alternative), and I have a feeling tha if I wait too long it just might sell out and leave me in the lurch. The other releases I'll probably wait for the probable MPC price drop.

I feel exactly the same way... I preordered one too, and will wait for the rest to come down in price... Just don't want to miss out on the first one, since I think this may actually be one of the MPCs that will sell out.

And just to say it again... the canopy will be clear... I know someone said it already, and then someone said it again, but, I'm just saying it again. :p

About the Red Alpha... I too was disappointed with the way they treated the paint scheme... I doesn't look right for some reason... Isn't there supposed to be more white on the top of the fighter?? Looks a little monotone for my taste.. not very exciting.

Isn't there supposed to be more white on the top of the fighter?? Looks a little monotone for my taste.. not very exciting.

I'm afraid they actualy got it right. Just look at these pictures (shamelessly lifted from The Ultimate Genesis Climber Mospeada Home Page):

fuke-legioss.gif

fuke-fighter.gif

01z-diver.gif

This may be one Legioss best displayed in Armo-soldier mode.

Edited by mechaninac

I only wish that some Japanese toy company would make a new Legioss toy design or at least reissue Gakken`s version.

I don't think so, because Toynami has the rights for Japan exploitation, and Toynami Legioss are gonna be released in Japan with the Mospeda name instead of Robotech.

But seriously, japan market aren't very interest in the Mospeada licence, so for the gakken, we can dream...

I`m wondering now how many of you will get toynami`s Legioss/Alpha ?! As for me no interest since it`s made by them because we all know their bad reputation for making toys.

I have also been disappointed by the quality of Toynami products thus far... But I think I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt on this release... It appears they have been working really hard on the Alpha design, and from what I have seen, it looks to be pretty solid... Just too small IMO.

I preordered one, because I think the blue one might just sell out, and I've been waiting too long for SOMEONE to make a new Alpha/Legioss. I look forward to getting this piece, and I hope they out did themselves on it.

in my opiinion... not worth my wallet.

(ARG SOLID CANONPIES) :angry:

Edit: I need to express my anger... that "thing" looks like a cheap/poor ARII plastic modelkit :angry:

This has been beaten to death, the canopys are not solid, what you see are test shots. The actual toy's canopy will be clear.

I think it's funny that everyone thinks this is gonna be a crappy toy. It looks like they got this one right for once and that this toy is just gonna be a great toy. There's more diecast in this than the MPC and the quality is just superb. How do I know, I have seen it, played with it, and have handled it first hand. All hinges are metal as well, so I wouldn't worry about a flimsy VF-1 MPC piece. They really got scales and proportions right. This toy actually got me back into MOSPEADA again, and I really can't wait for my own to take out and play with. Word also is, if this toyline goes very well, there WILL be a beta to link with it. That's why they made them in 1/55 scale. Anything bigger would create problems of cost and price for a 1/35 Beta. I'm not making this up, I live with someone who works in the place many of you hate, but I get a lot of info and spilling that much is alright. Just know that you all would be happy with this toy. :D

I think it's funny that everyone thinks this is gonna be a crappy toy.

Actually, if you re-read this thread and its spinoffs, you'd see that most people here are actually pretty satisfied with the looks of the final prototype. However, most of us are balking at the $80 price tag. It's at least $30 more than it's worth, based on what other companies are offering in that price range.

Yeah, the sculpt looks fine, jsut they want too much for it.

Though I may be in the minority, I beg to differ on the statement that the sculpt looks fine, and the item IS overpriced. A cursory evaluation of similar items with similar sizes/features/parts complexity shows that you can obtain items of similar or better caliber for roughly one third the price of the MPC.

Granted that the Alpha MPC has yet to hit shelves, the track-record of previous releases in the line leaves a great deal to be desired... if anything, let's hope they at least move-up to a better quality of plastic; the one they used for the Veritechs was absolutely appalling.

...And back to the sculpt, I think the picture below properly conveys my statement on the issue.

post-26-1077679433_thumb.jpg

Though I may be in the minority, I beg to differ on the statement that the sculpt looks fine, and the item IS overpriced. A cursory evaluation of similar items with similar sizes/features/parts complexity shows that you can obtain items of similar or better caliber for roughly one third the price of the MPC.

Granted that the Alpha MPC has yet to hit shelves, the track-record of previous releases in the line leaves a great deal to be desired... if anything, let's hope they at least move-up to a better quality of plastic; the one they used for the Veritechs was absolutely appalling.

...And back to the sculpt, I think the picture below properly conveys my statement on the issue.

What's the word I'm looking for? Oh,yeah... biased! :p

For a toy I think this thing is shaping up nicely. It is after all a toy and not a model. I'd rather have one of these than a klunky, brittle old Gakken. (talk about overpriced)

Well, the MPC Alpha already has two big problems.

1.  It's small

2.  It's $80

At that size for that price, it's just not worth it.

1. Yes, it is small, but it make sense in two ways:

a. The VF-1s MPCs were 1/55, so the family scale consistency is maintained.

b. More importantly, the larger the scale, given the mass of this thing, the harder it would be to create a stable lock for the possible linkable Beta/Tread. I suppose that a larger scale (1/48 would be very nice) with a lower diecast content would be better, but 1/55 is what Toynami is offering and that is what we have to deal with.

2. Yes, $80 USD is a bit much...about 25% too much, but there is no competition for the Toynami Alpha; the bastards at HG have the Mospeada licence locked tight, so their product is the only game in town if you want a new Legioss toy. You could always pay 3 times as much or more for an old MIB Gakken, but most people can't or won't. Besides, call me blasphemous, but I think that Toynami's has a better looking sculpt, and will probably blow the old Gakken's wings off in the features and poseability departments.

Comparing a garage kit that would have cost well over $300 to a mass produced toy isn't really fair. They're two completely different animals.

Just my 2 cents...

Edited by mechaninac

"Comparing a garage kit that would have cost well over $300 to a mass produced toy isn't realy fair. They're two completely different animals."

Yes and no. The comparison shot was mainly to show the difference in proportions/aesthetics, not details. Whether you engineer a toy with "nice" proportions or bad ones, the price and the work is the same; the only difference is in the talent of the person executing the work. Once you delete all the open access hatches and reinforce certain small joints on the 1/32 model, you can very easily convert it to a toy, since the outer shapes have no undercuts, and would pantograph-down to a smaller scale very easily.

Nevertheless, Toynami did what worked best for them, and though the overall proportions leave me flat, I hope that the Alpha toy will be a success and ensure future Mospeada/New generation skus; a win-win situation for them and for the fans.

I think it's funny that everyone thinks this is gonna be a crappy toy. It looks like they got this one right for once and that this toy is just gonna be a great toy. There's more diecast in this than the MPC and the quality is just superb. How do I know, I have seen it, played with it, and have handled it first hand. All hinges are metal as well, so I wouldn't worry about a flimsy VF-1 MPC piece. They really got scales and proportions right. This toy actually got me back into MOSPEADA again, and I really can't wait for my own to take out and play with. Word also is, if this toyline goes very well, there WILL be a beta to link with it. That's why they made them in 1/55 scale. Anything bigger would create problems of cost and price for a 1/35 Beta. I'm not making this up, I live with someone who works in the place many of you hate, but I get a lot of info and spilling that much is alright. Just know that you all would be happy with this toy. :D

Optimism is a beautiful thing.

I remember being optimistic about Toynami's VF-1 Rick. That optimism didn't pay off very well for me.

I don't think the Alpha will be a grand nightmare like the Rick MPC, Toynami's learned a few things since then... but it's already starting out at a place of weakness with the price vs. size issue.

If you guys are excited by this toy and you think that it's worth $80, then go for it. I would bet my own dearly beloved testicles that these toys will drop dramatically in price after they are released. Just look how cheaply you could buy a M&M MPC today... there just simply isn't enough Mospeada fanatics to sell all of these at $80.

Plus, you get the bonus of reading reviews of the toy before you buy. Trust me, these aren't the Low Viz... they aren't going anywhere. But if you want to preorder, then vaya con dios.

If thr Alpha looked like that garage kit, they could charge 80 (maybe 60-70)bucks fine with me for something that looked like a model like that. I would fear the QC though worse than this one. For it's sculpt and toy-ish appearance, 40/50 bucks. I won't theorize materials, because we don't know how solid it is yet.

I fear how much they would think they could try to gouge us for the Beta. Just like Shin said.

Edited by Anubis

As much as I agree that the left pic here looks nicer... This is only one mode. What about fighter mode and Gerwalk? Plus the left pic doesn't have the wings on it... The proportions look better in battroid, but I bet it wouldn't transform into the other two modes very nicely.

I just hope they make a Beta to link to this bad boy.

The proportions look better in battroid, but I bet it wouldn't transform into the other two modes very nicely.

If I remember correctly, if it had ever made it to limited production, the model wasn't going to transform at all. I think you were supposed choose a mode and go with it. Also, the nose section had it's radome shortened to improve the battroid mode's proportions, but that caused the fighter to look stubby up front. Don't take my word for it, go HERE and check it out.

It's an outstanding piece of work, but it too had it's fare share of compromises.

As much as I agree that the left pic here looks nicer... This is only one mode. What about fighter mode and Gerwalk? Plus the left pic doesn't have the wings on it... The proportions look better in battroid, but I bet it wouldn't transform into the other two modes very nicely.

I just hope they make a Beta to link to this bad boy.

How about a photoshopped pic from the article?

Dig it...

04142002_full_fighter.jpg

I look through this at least once a month.........and sigh. :(

http://www.macrossworld.com/mospeada/john_...ohn_moscato.htm