NEW Official MPC Thread!!!

As I have to order mine from the US, I'll probably be one of the last people here to get it, considering that shipping from the US to HK takes at least a week, often longer.

Graham

Will the MPC Alpha's not be released here in asia, meaning we have to order ours stateside then?

I've heard that the release date for Asia has not been decided yet, but the US will be first.

Graham

That's too bad. Since they're coming from Asia in the first place... there's no source at all over there?

I was hoping that a few (dozen) cases might have been snuck out of the backdoor of the factory and made their way to HK for an early (unofficial) release as often happens in HK :p . This does not seem to have happened, unfortunately :(

Graham

Well, looks like we have another short delay...I spoke to Toynami yesterday and they mentioned the vessel is behind schedule and will be here next week. Revised ETA is 8/10-8/11....I wish they would have said something sooner to me rather than saying 'Oh, you didn't hear???' ... <_<

-Kevin

Damn it, tell the boat's crew to row faster :lol:

Graham

Well, looks like we have another short delay...I spoke to Toynami yesterday and they mentioned the vessel is behind schedule and will be here next week.  Revised ETA is 8/10-8/11....I wish they would have said something sooner to me rather than saying 'Oh, you didn't hear???' ...  <_<

-Kevin

Damn it, tell the boat's crew to row faster :lol:

Graham

row row row your boat, gently down the stream,

hatefully hatefully hatefully, more delays as it seems

row row row your boat

toynami probably sends a sole person to row the boat instead of a dream,

hatefully hatefully hatefully delays are the nightmare, coming in on time is the dream!

Thought everybody'd like to see this. I copy and pasted it from the Robotech.com website......

"UPDATE 2004.08.03: SHIPPING SOON!

Masterpiece Alpha Fighters are currently on their way to Toynami's warehouses in the United States and will be shipping out to retailers in the beginning of the second week of August. Expect the Alpha Masterpieces to start shipping out to customers later the same week! "

Hope this brightens some of you folks' days. It did mine. :D Guess we'll be gettin those reviews next week after all.

uess we'll be gettin those reviews next week after all.

i sure hope so, unless of course the delay again :unsure: maybe i should not say that i would not want to jinx it :p seriously i cant wait.

chris

so I got a part time job at a local toy store hoping to get the MPC alpha at a discount... we were re-arranging the MPC VF-1 toys the other day and I just have to say, these alpha had better be MUCH higher in quality and craftsmanship because those things were just horrible...

I just had to share... man, to all those people who prefer the MPC over the 1/60's... you all are just kidding yourselves.

:p

um.. so did you actually get one out and try to transform it? You see, unlike the 1/60's, it's fun and easy to do... toynami had the novel idea of making a toy you can actually play with.

novel means it's a newly concieved idea. We all know where this is going... ;)

um.. so did you actually get one out and try to transform it? You see, unlike the 1/60's, it's fun and easy to do... toynami had the novel idea of making a toy you can actually play with.

You're wrong. It's a pain in the ass because nothing stays in place and flops everywhere with the slightest movement. It is not fun. It is not easy. It's a piece of poo.

You're wrong. It's a pain in the ass because nothing stays in place and flops everywhere with the slightest movement. It is not fun. It is not easy. It's a piece of poo.

is this true? i really wanted to get one of these please tell me it is not that bad, if it is will you be willing to sell yours? , maybe i can get one for a little cheaper and you can get some of your money back, i was really looking forward to this item.

chris

um.. so did you actually get one out and try to transform it?  You see, unlike the 1/60's, it's fun and easy to do...  toynami had the novel idea of making a toy you can actually play with.

Heh! Well, I was using 'novel' for comedic effect. True, Bandai beat em to it by several decades. And the design is clearly 'heavily borrowed' from the classic HCMs. Still, it's a well-executed retread..

I haven't had problems with floppiness myself, and I have one each of all their MPCs. Perhaps you got a bad specimen? I suppose it'd be nice if the legs locked more firmly in fighter mode, but I honestly can't think of another example of something that doesn't 'stay put' on my MPCs.

I note the anti-Toynami posts tend to be heavy on emotion and name-calling. Perhaps the owners are still distraught? :p

is this true? i really wanted to get one of these please tell me it is not that bad, if it is will you be willing to sell yours? , maybe i can get one for a little cheaper and you can get some of your money back, i was really looking forward to this item.

chris

The Mirya 1j I have (the post was about the VF-1's, not the Legeoss) is that way. The most redeming quality it has is that I picked up fairly cheap and so I can leave it sitting on my desk at work and not worry too much if something bad happens to it.

According to everything I'm hearing they are on there way and should be out sometime next week.

That's barring any further unforseen problems for the boat, such as icebergs, pirates, UFOs, magnetic field disturbances and sharks with laserbeams strapped to their heads. :ph34r:

According to everything I'm hearing they are on there way and should be out sometime next week.

That's barring any further unforseen problems for the boat, such as icebergs, pirates, UFOs, magnetic field disturbances and sharks with laserbeams strapped to their heads. :ph34r:

YOU FORGOT THE MOST OBVIOUS...LOL

post-26-1091908325.jpg

um.. so did you actually get one out and try to transform it?  You see, unlike the 1/60's, it's fun and easy to do...  toynami had the novel idea of making a toy you can actually play with.

Heh! Well, I was using 'novel' for comedic effect. True, Bandai beat em to it by several decades. And the design is clearly 'heavily borrowed' from the classic HCMs. Still, it's a well-executed retread..

I haven't had problems with floppiness myself, and I have one each of all their MPCs. Perhaps you got a bad specimen? I suppose it'd be nice if the legs locked more firmly in fighter mode, but I honestly can't think of another example of something that doesn't 'stay put' on my MPCs.

I note the anti-Toynami posts tend to be heavy on emotion and name-calling. Perhaps the owners are still distraught? :p

well, since we had all of them out for display, I've played with them a few times, my gripes:

legs are loose in battroid and fighter modes.

swivel on legs are loose.

hands don't lock into place and have tendency to slip back into arm

hands don't grip the gun very well, gun tends to fall out easily.

and it isn't just me, robotech fans coming in to look at them have made comments as well.

I just have had a much more difficult time posing these guys than the 1/60's.

Huh! I agree certain joints aren't as tight as I'd like (especially those dang wrists), but with the 1/60's I'm always concerned the toy will fall on his butt due to the loose hips. I haven't had a MPC fall yet - I don't think their hips would permit it (the advantage of the MPC's inferior hip articulation, I guess).

Also, I find the chest locking mechanism on the 1/60's to be a form of cruel and unusual transformation.

I guess it all comes down to what you consider to be 'major issues'. I find the issues with the 1/60's to be 'more major' than those with the MPCs. But even the superior 1/48 toys have some well-documented issues (nosecone falling out, landing gear stuck, flaps falling off, etc.) These minor issues don't prevent me from thinking the 1/48 is the finest valk toy made.

Also, some of Yamato's 1/60's had problems with essentially falling apart right out of the box (thinking of the vf-1d here), which I hope everyone would agree is a 'major issue'. I've yet to hear of anyone complaining of a MPC falling apart, or being unable to transform (like the 1/72 vf-11). :p

I have one word to sum up the excessive floppiness in the MPC design..

"magnets".

Too bad they don't work the way they're suppose to.

Magnets for the most part are one of those things that look great, and work on paper, but the biggest disadvantage of them is their weight.

I mean, it IS a big hunk of stone you're sticking into a toy that is mostly plastic with metal.

actually i have seen some very powerfull small magnets that work wonders. even though they are tiny they hold perfect , also even if they add alittle weight to the valk that does not hurt it very much

magnets work if they're used correctly. i use some neodymium magnets to correct the floppy arm problem on the 1/48's and they worked like a charm. :) the problem is the morons they got working in the toynami factory used some weakass magnets and didn't even bother to line them up correctly. :rolleyes: whatevs, i don't own any MPC's anymore, so i got no real complaints. :D

heres the thread with pics for you non-believers. :D

Edited by haterist

Yeah, I agree with haterist - magnets are a great concept, it's a shame toynami didn't use more powerful ones. Oh well, the legs are usually supported by the ground or my hand in fighter mode anyways, and they sorta stay put with the peg they provide.

Second week of August...Where the hell is my Alpha?!! :angry:  ;)

Probably in the same place mine is :angry:

I would guess that as we speak, Godzilla and the rogue whale-riding pirates, even after having teamed up to stop them, have been vanquished by the steadfast Alphas. Now all they have to do is get through the much dreaded "Vampire Tuna Sector" and they should be in the clear. I hear the VTS can be a real bitch for cheaply made toys, so wether or not they get past should be a good indication of what kind of toy we have to look forward to.

I've also heard that the only reason the MPC valks made it through the VTS is because they showed up as Chunky Monkeys on the VTS radar, thus causing the vampire tunas to flee for their lives, not wanting another ass-wholloping like the one that the Bandai reissues gave them.

I've also heard that the only reason the MPC valks made it through the VTS is because they showed up as Chunky Monkeys on the VTS radar, thus causing the vampire tunas to flee for their lives, not wanting another ass-wholloping like the one that the Bandai reissues gave them.

[Kent Brockman]

Looking Off-Camera 'Hmm... Do we have a source on this story?'

Furiously Scribbling on a Notepad '"A bunch...of drunken... fanboys. Right!"'

To Camera 'So there we have it folks, once again, I've been had.'

[/Kent Brockman]