The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

That new Miura is the best looking Lambo since the original Miura.

358539[/snapback]

I favor the Countach myself.

360016[/snapback]

For a few years yeah, but that thing is super dated now.

That new Miura is the best looking Lambo since the original Miura.

358539[/snapback]

I favor the Countach myself.

360016[/snapback]

For a few years yeah, but that thing is super dated now.

360018[/snapback]

Dated, obscene and completely devoid of any pleasure in driving it. Sounds like a good car...

360021[/snapback]

Yeah, I have heard its a bear to drive. I just love the way it looks. Im in Hollywood a lot, and I see a lot of nice cars, but nothing makes me go schwiiiiing! like a Countach. Even the fake kit car Lambos can give me a chub. B))

the V6 in the 6's suck anyway, he's actually better off with the I4 with a manual. Which makes you wonder why they'd name it the 6 if the V6 they put in it is garbage, even the speed version has a Turbo I4.

I never thought the Countach was all that great looking. The various Diablo's i always thought looked chub worthy, but i heard were as crappy to drive as the Countach which immediately evokes shrinkage. So far the only Lambo's that i think had any place as a decent cars and not a trophy are the miura and the gallardo (eventhough i despise VW).

Edited by emajnthis

Ive allways loved the countach, I think the cheap fiero kit cars and cheap look alike ground effects ruined it for a lot of people, just like the Testarossa. but I still love both cars. The reason the countach was "hard to drive" was it had pirreli 225mm tires up front which were just shy of 9", and the rears were 335's,,,, my vette was special ordered sport package and it came with 275's up front and 285's rear. if you were on uneven pavement and wernt holding on, it would pull you right in the ditch.

Its a curious thing when you realize that the Mazdaspeed 6 has the highest power output of any car Mazda has released in America.  The FD had 255 hp/215 lbs of torque, while the Mazdaspeed 6 has 274 hp/280 lbs of torque.

360150[/snapback]

Yeh, but the FD had two huge advantages: Weight and RWD. The Mazda 6 has a prodominantley FWD platform with active AWD which pretty much makes it crap compared to a RWD car, and also the 274/280 is probably not actual wheel HP/torque as Mazda is famous for fudging the numbers under absolute perfect weather conditions. All in all the Mazda 6 as a daily driver/grocery getter is great (except compared to other vehicles in its class it is a bit difficult to see out of), but the Speed version leaves much to be desired.

I don't know. I've always really liked the way 25th Anniversary Countach looks. Not dated at all.

360122[/snapback]

I see one of those things now, and I think about the driver must have no shame.

Its a curious thing when you realize that the Mazdaspeed 6 has the highest power output of any car Mazda has released in America.  The FD had 255 hp/215 lbs of torque, while the Mazdaspeed 6 has 274 hp/280 lbs of torque.

360150[/snapback]

Yeh, but the FD had two huge advantages: Weight and RWD. The Mazda 6 has a prodominantley FWD platform with active AWD which pretty much makes it crap compared to a RWD car, and also the 274/280 is probably not actual wheel HP/torque as Mazda is famous for fudging the numbers under absolute perfect weather conditions. All in all the Mazda 6 as a daily driver/grocery getter is great (except compared to other vehicles in its class it is a bit difficult to see out of), but the Speed version leaves much to be desired.

360164[/snapback]

That was all a given. Its common sense when you look at the FD and the 6. Trust me, I realize the advantages of the FD, I drive one. The thing accelerates like a bat out of hell and corners like its on rails (although I upgraded my suspension with TEIN HA coilovers). I also sadly realize all of the disadvantages as well, such as poorly thought out engine cooling system and unreliability and worst of all, engine fires. :(

yeh, i don't understand how Mazda could've released the third gen's for so long (they were discontinued in Japan only a few years ago) especially with the knowledge that the motor had specific design flaws that were fixed in their Renesis release. I could have misinformation, but my friend in Japan says the RX-8's there come single Turbo, that'd be a great motor to get your hands on, it's still high maintenance but without the fear of it blowing up and catching fire, it sure puts your mind at ease.

yeh, i don't understand how Mazda could've released the third gen's for so long (they were discontinued in Japan only a few years ago) especially with the knowledge that the motor had specific design flaws that were fixed in their Renesis release.  I could have misinformation, but my friend in Japan says the RX-8's there come single Turbo, that'd be a great motor to get your hands on, it's still high maintenance but without the fear of it blowing up and catching fire, it sure puts your mind at ease.

360214[/snapback]

Your friend is mistaken since all RX-8s are naturally aspirated regardless of market. There are kits to turbo the car, but the RX-8 is notorious for not responding to mods due to the overbearing nature of the ECU.

As for the FD, Mazda Japan started to address some of the engineering faults such as improving the cooling system and turbos for the later iterations. The Wankel is not really as unreliable as some make it out to be since you will see many 1st gen and 2nd gen RX7s with very high mileage that are still running. The real problem with the Wankel is when it is turbocharged. On the FD, the cooling system is simply not enough to get rid of the heat from the turbos which leads to failure of the coolant seals. You've probably heard of a lot of people blowing their engines on their FDs and thats more than likely due to improper tuning since the Wankel simply does NOT withstand detonation. All it takes is one ping or your engine running lean and you end up blowing your apex seals out of the exhaust.

The Renesis hasn't gotten rid of those problems, it just bypasses them since it is NA and not twin turbocharged. Put a turbo on it and I'm positive that you'll end up with the same headaches.

Prodrive reveals a two seater coupe based on the STI engine and drivetrain:

http://forums.thecarlounge.net/zerothread?id=2389412

Now this is the exciting part, they figured out a way to make the anti-lag system normally reserved for rally cars to work on this road car concept.

"In tests, it has been shown to double engine torque at low revs, enabling a test car to accelerate from 30 to 50 mph in the same time in third gear as it would without the system in second gear."

Read the article, its pretty interesting... the car no so much, but the technology is.

I like. Knowing that the '6 is FWD however, does lessen my desire to own one, somewhat. Also, is the V6 just a miserable performer or what, and how close are the 4 and 6 cylinder engines in terms of power?

ok... about time for my camaro to get sold. I still have the standing offer 0f $5k from the guy up the street so I figured I'd put it on ebay with a $5k reserve. Worst case I'm only out ebay fee's. Take a look at the pics and tell me what you think. http://kanata67.tripod.com/camaro/

and don't be to cruel. I wish I didn't have to sell it as I love it, but I love it enough to know it deserves a better home and bigger wallet than I can provide :(

ok... about time for my camaro to get sold. I still have the standing offer 0f $5k from the guy up the street so I figured I'd put it on ebay with a $5k reserve. Worst case I'm only out ebay fee's. Take a look at the pics and tell me what you think.  http://kanata67.tripod.com/camaro/

and don't be to cruel. I wish I didn't have to sell it as I love it, but I love it enough to know it deserves a better home and bigger wallet than I can provide :(

360445[/snapback]

I'm not really into muscle cars but I really think that is a beautiful car. Its too bad you have to part with it - why do you want to sell?

ok... about time for my camaro to get sold. I still have the standing offer 0f $5k from the guy up the street so I figured I'd put it on ebay with a $5k reserve. Worst case I'm only out ebay fee's. Take a look at the pics and tell me what you think.  http://kanata67.tripod.com/camaro/

360445[/snapback]

I'm not really into muscle cars but I really think that is a beautiful car. Its too bad you have to part with it - why do you want to sell?

360447[/snapback]

I bought my house because it had a carport I could work on the car in and a detached carport to park it under while I moved in. After a year I still have to much crap in my car port to move the camaro in, don't have the time to work on it, don't have the money to pay some-one to work on it for me, and need a pick-up truck in the worst way. I will regret selling her till the day I die but if she turned into a basket case in my possesion I could never live with myself. I'm hoping somebody will pick her up, do a frame up, and make her a trailer queen like she deserves. The guy with the standing offer plans on doing that and I've seen his collection and know he'd take good care of her. He's even willing to let me help restore her. Unfortunately I know I could never afford to buy her back from him when he was finished :(

The cooling problems and breaking seals is very common in the FD's, but the one that causes the motors to catch fire is the way the motor was ported, which is really the only thing fixed on the 13B for the Renesis. They side ported the intake and exhaust ports eliminating any overlap between the opening of the intake and teh exhaust port allowing for greater combustion efficiency (which also allows it to run MUCH cooler). The old 13B's would sometimes have overlap where the combustion would happen too late and the motor would catch fire, or if nothing else get extremely hot. With the greater amount of heat out of the way, it makes the Renesis motor a greater candidate to inherit a turbo setup (which is why you see it so often in Japan, and also why Mazda has been discussing it with the new Speed version).

I know Japan did however get a special version of the RX-7's (the name of which slips me at the moment) that used a three rotor turbo setup with the 13B as the framework, and eliminated all of the shortcomings of the original two rotor 13B. Mazda also had some meetings (because of how successful the motor ran) of putting this motor in the new RX-8, or possibly in a reborn RX-7.

I like 67-69 Cameros also. When ever I finish current project, I wanna build a Crate Camero. Building and customizing is where its at for me.

I know Japan did however get a special version of the RX-7's (the name of which slips me at the moment) that used a three rotor turbo setup with the 13B as the framework, and eliminated all of the shortcomings of the original two rotor 13B.  Mazda also had some meetings (because of how successful the motor ran) of putting this motor in the new RX-8, or possibly in a reborn RX-7.

360467[/snapback]

There were never any 3-rotor RX-7s. There was a 3-rotor (20B) Mazda Cosmo, but that's the only time a 3-rotor has been seen in a commercial Mazda vehicle.

I know Japan did however get a special version of the RX-7's (the name of which slips me at the moment) that used a three rotor turbo setup with the 13B as the framework, and eliminated all of the shortcomings of the original two rotor 13B.  Mazda also had some meetings (because of how successful the motor ran) of putting this motor in the new RX-8, or possibly in a reborn RX-7.

360467[/snapback]

I think you are talking about the Eunos Cosmo. It's the only Mazda to receive the 20B 3 rotor engine. It's an awesome car. A 3 rotor turbo engine is a thing of beauty. A local rotary mechanic replaced the 13BREW out of his FD with a 20B with big single turbo. It's probably pushing over 400 hp and sounds MEAN. I wish I had the money for that but its a very pricey and complicated conversion.

As for the 20B eliminating the shortcomings of the 13B, I don't see how. The only thing different is the addition of another rotor housing and rotor along with a longer eccentric shaft. All other mechanicals are the same with the same porting and everything. After all, people build their own 3 rotor and 4 rotor engines by just adding another rotor housing, rotor, and shaft onto a 13B.

A 3 rotor NA RENESIS would be awesome. It would be very reliable, be capable of a lot of power, and still very compact. I've heard rumors about this as a proposal too, however with smaller rotors. The whole emissions standards are where it will have a tough time.

What are you talking about? Nissan decides what gets the Infinity badge.

And yet nissan doesn't imploy such lengths on their own cars, just Infiniti itself. That's why critics are always bashing the interior designs of many Nissan vehicles like the Pathfinder, Xterra and Frontier having bland appearance inside while their exterior bodies are fantastic looking.

I'm hoping if the sports concept ever comes out that its a Nissan exclusive and wont see an Infiniti variation as well....but its doubtful.....

emissions has become a real bitch in recent years. That's why you see fewer and fewer turbocharged and supercharged cars in the market, and when motors are turbo/supercharged they usually are running way under potential. When my brother was in Japan he got to drive the 20B RX-7 and says it's the fastest and smoothest RX-7 he's ever driven. It pushed the RX-7 from a jack of all trades but master of nothing, to an all out door ripping street machine. I think if Mazda took the same three rotor philosophy like you said and applied it to the Renesis motor, they would really have something that could be worthy of a new production RX-7.

Not ones to miss out on this whole "heritage" kick that the auto industry is in, Lola is now going to capitalize on it by going really-retro. Much like Ford with their GT, and Shelby with his Cobras, they've announced the intro of the "continuation" series of the T-70 IIIB. Apparently these will be brand-spanking-new cars, built as per the originals and eligible for historic racing. I just wonder if someone across the pond will get the bright idea to try to add some aero/downforce appendages, and get the model homologated for FIA GT-2 or GT-3?

Hate to hear you have to sell your Camaro kanata67; I've always had a soft spot for first-gen Camaros myself.

I test drove a Mazda 6 a while back when I was looking at buying a family car. It was a 4 cyl, but I thought it felt kinda "anaemic." What's the bad news with the V6's? I noticed then that it only seemed to be the 4 cyl cars that were finding their way onto the used car lots.

post-1488-1137302141_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1137302156_thumb.jpg

nothing is specifically "wrong" with the V6, it just performs about the same as the I4. If you test drive the V6 and no one told you what was under the hood, you would've thought it was an I4, it suffers from even worse anemic performance than the I4 IMO especially if you get an auto.

ok... about time for my camaro to get sold.

360445[/snapback]

Dear God, it's a fate worse than death. I don't mean to make things even more difficult for you, as you're obviously affected by this impending sale, but still...

-My cars are the only things that give me any sense of joy. For me, to lose them would be death...

-My cars are the only things that give me any sense of joy.  For me, to lose them would be death...

Don't get me wrong, I love my cars. When I lost my dream car chevelle, I was bummed. But that is a sorry statement indeed...in all seriousness, there is a lot more to life than sheet metal and big blocks

Your "OPINION" is duly noted...Sorry, but I don't enjoy long walks on the beach, planting flowers, painting pictures, feeding dolphins or whatever else it is that you think is so important...

Every one of us has a place of retreat and solace that provides TRUE contentment that is unique and singular to WHO WE ARE, as opposed to the vapid fulfillment we get from wanking off, going to church or any one of the other mundane ways we distract ourselves daily, and it usually can't be shared with anyone else. Blasting down the freeways in my muscle car of choice does that for me; to lose that unique, singular joy would be worse than death.

How do you escape?

Edited by myk