The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

that's because as soon as the WRC actually went to the WRC car formula, Mitsubishi got screwed royally, if they had just kept developing the Lancer platform instead of going with the fugly Cedia, they wouldn't be in this rut that they're in.

They were also the laughing stock of WRC with the EVO VII and its hard to come back after blowing up your cars in just about every race. Mitsubishi has a real class leading motor with their 4G63... but that's the only motor they have ever built that was worth a crap, and it took them over a decade to get it perfect. Their V6 still sucks, and the variety in their line up is null.

Hey guys just decided I would pop into the convo. I have two 1978 Trans Am's (one being a formula)and the Trans Am that I did the restore on...completely redid the interior new floor pans refurbished wiring harness and so on. It's like a new car inside, except with new speaker’s radio and sound proofing. In the next few weeks I plan on pulling the Pontiac 400 and doing a rebuild, and redoing the engine harness. There will not be much to add to the engine since as is it runs about a 12.sec quarter. I might do some pro-touring mods later for handling...but it already drives great and takes turns like a dream.I am really not worried about paint more than I am about performance and actually being comfortable inside, besides my car is solid and for a 25yr+ paint job and decal set it looks great. My formula I am planning on adding a Pontiac 455 and turning it into a ram air car, I enjoy my torque and this car will show it :lol: I think after I finish these two I might start work on my 1950 Plymouth restore...but money does not run thick for this college student <_<P

P.S Whenever my ftp comes back up I wll post a few pics.

Hey guys just decided I would pop into the convo. I have two 1978 Trans Am's (one being a formula)and the Trans Am that I did the restore on...completely redid the interior new floor pans refurbished wiring harness and so on. It's like a new car inside, except with new speaker’s radio and sound proofing. In the next few weeks I plan on pulling the Pontiac 400 and doing a rebuild, and redoing the engine harness. There will not be much to add to the engine since as is it runs about a 12.sec quarter. I might do some pro-touring mods later for handling...but it already drives great and takes turns like a dream.I am really not worried about paint more than I am about performance and actually being comfortable inside, besides my car is solid and for a 25yr+ paint job and decal set it looks great. My formula I am planning on adding a Pontiac 455 and turning it into a ram air car, I enjoy my torque and this car will show it  :lol: I think after I finish these two I might start work on my 1950 Plymouth restore...but money does not run thick for this college student  <_<P

P.S Whenever my ftp comes back up I wll post a few pics.

352674[/snapback]

welcome, plenty of mods in the motor to run a 12 sec 1/4, i think from the factory those were about mid 15 cars with the 400sb my old neighbor has a turbo TA, pretty cool cars. Good luck on the 455, they are getting scarce and expensive, I was into Buicks for a while and they shot up in price, specially to do a 455, Get some pics, I love to see progress photos

Thieves steal Ford GT and then, of course, crash it.  Sigh.

http://www.news10.net/storyfull2.aspx?storyid=14798

352977[/snapback]

That's really sharp. Of all the cars you could steal, a red Ford GT would be the one to go for. :unsure: What would you do with a car like that anyway? Sell it for parts? Put it on the 'Bay? Keep it in a garage? Hope that no one notices you driving it to Vons as you buy groceries? This was more than an intended joyride as, according to the news report, the theives went through quite an experience in order to free the car.

Someone needs to put away their copies of GTA and Gone in 60 seconds...

Edited by myk

Nice. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures. What color is it? Any optional stuff on it?

Thanks! It's magnesium metallic (or dark grey :p ) and I just stuck with the stock Type-S which comes with almost everything you need: 6-speed manual, leather, 17" wheels, 6-disc in dash CD changer, etc.

That's great news! so how do you feel about your final decision? I'll admit the RSX isn't exactly the most noticeable or unique car on the road, but it really gets the job done. The only thing i don't like is that most of them come with sun roofs and my head hits the ceiling in cars with sun roofs, but if you can get one without it, then it's one of the two Honda's i'll ever buy, definitely a huge improvement on the Integra's of yesteryear.

I'm really happy with the car. I have enough room and I can't say enough about the quality of the interior. But with the Type-S, I don't think you can get one without a sun/moonroof. You can probably get a 5-speed base manual type and option out of it but with the S, it's just part of the package. I'll work on getting those pics up this weekend. Thanks for the comments on the car, Emajn!

Looks like Audi and Team Joest are about ready to [possibly] begin a new, second era of dominance in world sports car racing with the unveiling of the R10? Powered by a twin-turbo V-12 diesel, this car will make some pretty astounding numbers [for a race engine]. Output will be north of 650hp and [here's the stunning one] 1100Nm of torque [that's 810+ ft/lbs! what a hp/torque ratio! in a race motor!] According to one source:

"The engine's power and the high torque are available to the driver practically from idling speed - a speciality of diesel technology, to which the Audi drivers must now become accustomed. The usable power band lies between 3000 and 5000 revs per minute.

Unfamiliar to the driver at this early stage, is the low noise level and, unique for a racing engine, the smooth running V12 TDI power unit. At high speeds the powerful 650 hp engine can not be heard from the Audi R10 prototype's "open" cockpit while there is also hardly any vibration. On the outside, the modern twelve-cylinder produces a faint, but sonorous sound that quite possibly nobody would identify as a diesel power unit at first. The new R10 can only be recognised acoustically as a diesel-powered sportscar during the warming-up process or in the pit lane.

There are no visual signs that a diesel power unit is at work in the back of the R10. It goes without saying that the V12 TDI is equipped with a pair of diesel particle filters for the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Flashes of flame from the exhaust, which are created by unburned petrol in spark-ignition engines, are not seen coming from the R10."

I was already surprised at how quiet the R8's--and the Caddy's--were when I saw them race. This should be something to behold, I'm sure. Given the choice of power, and Team Joest's impressive record, I'd expect nick names like "Freight Train" and the like to start being coined in the pitlanes in reference to this potential juggernaut of a race car. LOL, don't be surprised to see a flurry of incensed Frenchmen hurriedly "revising" the ACO rulebooks for 2007 if the R10 indeed proves too dominant a force come next year...

post-1488-1135468341_thumb.jpeg

post-1488-1135468351_thumb.jpeg

post-1488-1135468360_thumb.jpeg

post-1488-1135468369_thumb.jpeg

Edited by reddsun1

Yeah. What I wouldn't give for a tight little speedster like that...How much did that set you back?

-Hey '7, I think Raylene should've stuck with the name Zuzanna and kept the exotic thing going...

Edited by myk

Yeah.  What I wouldn't give for a tight little speedster like that...How much did that set you back?

-Hey '7, I think Raylene should've stuck with the name Zuzanna and kept the exotic thing going...

355065[/snapback]

thats so cheap... :blink:

now you just gotta get that nasty front plate off, get the mandatory fart can exhaust, CAI, headers, couple interior accessories from Japan and you'll be all set. :)

car looks great though. I like the updated version a lot more than the older ones.

Nice Car Keats, i allready see some dirt on the drivers mat :p

as for the diesel v12, depending on the displacement, thats not much power, my completlly stock duramax was 300hp 500ftlb, my f350 is 275hp 500ftlb and those motors can esilly be brought to 600+ reliable hp 1000ftlb torque, but they dont have the trans (most OE trans are rated at 450ftlbs constant) to back it up I know a guy who owns a diesel shop, and his truck (custom twin turbo 7.3 ford) pegs the dyno at 1500 ftlbs torque and 900hp

yeh diesels torque/hp band is very small too, so the power will be hot n heavy for about 2 seconds than crap out all at once. I would really like to see this be pratically used in racing. Every car that is equipped with a high output deisel (mainly UK) has never gotten any rave reviews because of the fact that the hp/torque can only be found in a very small and select RPM range. In race conditions where you need the power in a very wide range between gears i don't see a diesel performing successfully compared to the petrol models.

From what I understand, Mitsubishi has always had problems. In fact, I've heard people from both sides of the Pacific that say that Mitsubishi is the worst of the Japanese car manufacturers.

352558[/snapback]

I agree with this. Their quality is low and the car value drops like a stone after you buy it anyway. Add to that the fact that they regularly accept high risk credit loans in order to make sales and that's one screwed company. There were two Mitsu dealers in my town. One of them quietly shutdown and skipped town a couple weeks ago after some customers realized they were not paying off the loans on their trade-ins. Now those poor bastards owe like double the retail on their crappy new Eclipses that are already depreciated to 10% below said retail.

Edited by glane21

You know, there was a time when Mitsubishi was actually a good Japanese brand. My dad used to swear by the Galant from the mid-1980s to the 1995 model. Of course, once Honda entered the Philippines in 1997, he dumped the Galant for an Accord. Can't really blame him for that.

These days, Mitsubishi's just feeding off of the Lancer Evolution hype. And that's already died down. I've read on numerous magazines that the EVO is very, very unreliable. Not to mention a b*tch to gas up. I know of a RadioShack employee who drives an EVO RS, and he tells me he has to put $20 of gas every two days - and he lives less than 10 miles away from his store.

Hell, even the XMODS Evolution replica of the EVO is a lemon. Several units were recalled for faulty front wheel knuckle assemblies.

I wonder what bhop has to say about Mitsubishi these days, as I think he still owns an Eclipse.