The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

The Kabura is certainly different looking, but not bad. Compared with the G35 coupe (whats that... a BORING looking Nissan? Who'da thunk...), at least it's trying to be different instead of boring or retro.

358854[/snapback]

I'll agree with you there. I'm sick of the retro thing and I'm equally amazed at how Nissan/Infiniti just keep pouring out more cars that all reiterate the same elements that they introduced with the 350Z. Even the new Sentra that will come out has headlights like a 350Z, but it just looks sad. I can understand trying to tie all the cars under a brand with unifying themes, but in this case its a little too much. While I might not like the Kabura, at least its different. I like Alfa Romeo and TVR for that very reason.

It's a good thing it wasn't a replacement then, eh? The RX-8 is not the replacement for the RX-7, just like the RX-7 wasn't the replacement for the RX-5 (or 4, or 3, or 2 or 100).

358854[/snapback]

Ok, "successor," then?

It's a good thing it wasn't a replacement then, eh? The RX-8 is not the replacement for the RX-7, just like the RX-7 wasn't the replacement for the RX-5 (or 4, or 3, or 2 or 100).

358854[/snapback]

Ok, "successor," then?

358869[/snapback]

Nope. Even though both cars have the RX in their name (Rotary eXperiment), the RX-8 and the RX-7 were aimed at different markets. The RX-7 was a sports car (arguably the best sports car produced by Japan) whereas the RX-8 is really more of a sports coupe, what with the back seats and lack of racing pedigree.

I guess Hikuro isn't aware that Infinitis are badged as Nissans in Japan..... Although I do hear that they're supposedly going to start using the Inifiniti name sometime in the very near future.

As far as Nissan goes in the US, if it bears the Nissan name (except the 350ZX), the car is a North American model these days and was made either in the US or Mexico. If you want a model that's sold in both the US and Japan, buy an Infiniti.

Of course, if I'm wrong, please by all means correct me :)

Nope. Even though both cars have the RX in their name (Rotary eXperiment), the RX-8 and the RX-7  were aimed at different markets. The RX-7 was a sports car (arguably the best sports car produced by Japan) whereas the RX-8 is really more of a sports coupe, what with the back seats and lack of racing pedigree.

358875[/snapback]

I see. It would be like the 456 GT and the F50 Ferraris-the first intended for the elite car owner with a need for passenger space and some level of civility, while the latter for the strictly race oriented driver, yes?

There has been talk about Mazda releasing an RX-7 Successor in the near future, but none of the concepts that have been released at any of the autoshows truly expresses that. I think also with the great success they had with the RX-8 formula and the failure of their third gen RX-7 formula (In America) they're a little hesitant to experiment further with another true rotary sports car. As for the RX-7 being the best sports car out of Japan? Probably top 5 but definitely not number 1.

Nissan/Honda/Mazda/Subaru are all guilty of using uniform styling, it's the trend in design right now. If you look at the head lights of any Nissan, they pretty much look the same on all of them, same with Mazda, and Subaru. The idea is to market distinct styling cues so people will immediately recognize the company (now that i think of it, even all the Porsche's look the same). Also as everyone knows concepts are meant to look extravagent and different, but when it comes to production time, it'll fall right back into line with all of the same styling cues as the rest of the lineup.

And Nissan will decide to launch their Infiniti lineup in Japan like they have everywhere else (In Japan, it's just a matter of rebadging their current lineups). Honda is also thinking of following suit since in Japan and UK there is no Acura (and the RSX is still the Integra).

Alfa Romeo makes some awesome and distinct cars, but since their now under the Fiat/Ferrari/Maserati ownership, they're purpose as a company has been flattened to crackerbox cars that can every once in awhile get something amazing done to them. It's not like the old days where an Alfa Romeo had something that no other car company had, now they just seem to get the left overs of their counterparts.

Edited by emajnthis

okay, so I guess that's actually the "official" Camaro--this one's the ver. that was unveiled by GM execs. Some of the various artist renderings and concepts are found in previous pages of this thread, IIRC. Well, if GM stays true to form, it'll be toe-to-toe with the 'Stang, maybe even marginally better as far as performance. But if it's introduced in say, '08 for example--I wouldn't touch one with a 10' pole AT LEAST until the '09 model debuted. Expect at least one major recall w/in the first 9 mo. of the model's life.

The Infiniti concept's sweet. The Mazda does look a little "late 1940's" with the fender bulges.

BTW, Did you ever replace your M3?

358986[/snapback]

No, I'm all talk.

I haven't gotten around to it... I was never in a hurry, just kicking around some ideas here before I pull the tirgger. But I am about 90% on the Lotus.

Nope. Even though both cars have the RX in their name (Rotary eXperiment), the RX-8 and the RX-7  were aimed at different markets. The RX-7 was a sports car (arguably the best sports car produced by Japan) whereas the RX-8 is really more of a sports coupe, what with the back seats and lack of racing pedigree.

I sure miss my '86 RX-7 GXL now that I commute daily on the Autobahn. Driving a BMW 318i for now. I'm pretty comfortable 200 kph (~124mph) in the fast lane. However, I still get butterflies when I approach slow lane traffic. Never know when one of those idiots might pull into my lane. :angry:

How was your J-trip?

Alfa Romeo makes some awesome and distinct cars, but since their now under the Fiat/Ferrari/Maserati ownership, they're purpose as a company has been flattened to crackerbox cars that can every once in awhile get something amazing done to them.  It's not like the old days where an Alfa Romeo had something that no other car company had, now they just seem to get the left overs of their counterparts.

358953[/snapback]

Being bought out by FIAT was by far the worst thing that's happened to Alfa. The Milano/75 was the last true Alfa, and despite the fact that the new Alfas are gorgeous the FWD platform really turns me off. That said, new parts/platform sharing between them and Maserati and the upcoming Brera AWD give me hope.

I sure miss my '86 RX-7 GXL now that I commute daily on the Autobahn.  Driving a BMW 318i for now.  I'm pretty comfortable 200 kph (~124mph) in the fast lane.  However, I still get butterflies when I approach slow lane traffic.  Never know when one of those idiots might pull into my lane.  :angry:

How was your J-trip?

359088[/snapback]

The second generation RX-7s are made for high freeway speeds, they absolutely purr at over 90mph and make long car trips a lot of fun. When I used to go up and down California on a regular basis (for school) my '86 made the trips up and down 5 and 99 a lot more tolerable.

The Japan trip was great, trying to figure out some ways to get back soon. But my school schedule is hectic right now, so I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to squeeze it in. What are you doing in Germany?

358986[/snapback]

No, I'm all talk.

I haven't gotten around to it... I was never in a hurry, just kicking around some ideas here before I pull the tirgger. But I am about 90% on the Lotus.

359033[/snapback]

get it, you only live once,,,,,,otherwise youll calculate it over in your head and see how unrealistic owning another sports car is and end up buying a damn CTS grocery getter

358986[/snapback]

No, I'm all talk.

359033[/snapback]

get it, you only live once,,,,,,otherwise youll calculate it over in your head and see how unrealistic owning another sports car is and end up buying a damn CTS grocery getter

359135[/snapback]

I have to wait and see how the next six months go... I want to see if I can pay myself more.

ah, creative finansing,,,,,thier was a guy around Cali that wrote off 100% of his Ferrari. It was stated that the car was a symbol of the companies style and engineering (I think it was a cabinet company) He was audited, but got away with it,,,,,,you ever consider leasing it to yourself through the company?,,, thats an excelent way to do it, not that risky, but saves a lot of cash

Alfa Romeo makes some awesome and distinct cars, but since their now under the Fiat/Ferrari/Maserati ownership, they're purpose as a company has been flattened to crackerbox cars that can every once in awhile get something amazing done to them.  It's not like the old days where an Alfa Romeo had something that no other car company had, now they just seem to get the left overs of their counterparts.

358953[/snapback]

Being bought out by FIAT was by far the worst thing that's happened to Alfa. The Milano/75 was the last true Alfa, and despite the fact that the new Alfas are gorgeous the FWD platform really turns me off. That said, new parts/platform sharing between them and Maserati and the upcoming Brera AWD give me hope.

359106[/snapback]

This has to be the first time you have ever agreed with me on anything :lol::p

The second generation RX-7s are made for high freeway speeds, they absolutely purr at over 90mph and make long car trips a lot of fun. When I used to go up and down California on a regular basis (for school) my '86 made the trips up and down 5 and 99 a lot more tolerable.

The Japan trip was great, trying to figure out some ways to get back soon. But my school schedule is hectic right now, so I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to squeeze it in. What are you doing in Germany?

359107[/snapback]

Mine sure purrred...in the rolling green hills of Virginia. Back in the day, I piloted my '86 to experience extra-Gs and weightlessness.

Now, I'm working for a small Germany company with aspirations of being a global player. I'm part of their long-term strategic plan.

ah, creative finansing,,,,,thier was a guy around Cali that wrote off 100% of his Ferrari. It was stated that the car was a symbol of the companies style and engineering (I think it was a cabinet company) He was audited, but got away with it,,,,,,you ever consider leasing it to yourself through the company?,,, thats an excelent way to do it, not that risky, but saves a lot of cash

359307[/snapback]

My Partners would more easily accept me paying myself more than a company exotic car.

It looks like the new IS is going to get some healthy competition, especially since the G35 still beats it in a lot categories and the car is several years old.  Now all we need is a new M3 and the top 3 can have a proper shoot off.

358751[/snapback]

:blink:

guess so. doesn't sound like much of a shoot off though if you ask me.. more like a nissan and a toyota chasing a sports car :p

I like that new G35 couple tho. The best move Infiniti made in years was ripping off the new benz CLS for the new M35 and I'm glad more CLS stuff showed up on the G35 coupe (headlights).

Lol...when is enough, enough? The power of the Viper with little to no weight reminds me of my dream car, the '65 Shelby Cobra 427...

It looks like the new IS is going to get some healthy competition, especially since the G35 still beats it in a lot categories and the car is several years old.  Now all we need is a new M3 and the top 3 can have a proper shoot off.

358751[/snapback]

:blink:

guess so. doesn't sound like much of a shoot off though if you ask me.. more like a nissan and a toyota chasing a sports car :p

I like that new G35 couple tho. The best move Infiniti made in years was ripping off the new benz CLS for the new M35 and I'm glad more CLS stuff showed up on the G35 coupe (headlights).

359480[/snapback]

The CLS and the M35/45 were released the same year, and the M35/45 headlights are more indicative of the S15 Silvia's more than anything else.

As for the shootouts, I think it all depends on what the M3 has to offer. If they really do stick a V8 in it (like they said they were going to do like 4 years ago) then it puts it into a whole new class because price is going to reflect that. If it sticks to the Inline 6, then that motor has pretty much hit its limits unless they super/turbo charge it, which BMW doesn't do since the motors are already fickle as they are. In any case, sticking a V8 in the M3 is going to require a lot more work into that car to make it at the performance level of it's previous generations in that they have to offset the front end weight, and work the suspension for the same cornering performance.

for some reason, the link won't work for me. I'm guessing it's to their Type 65 Coupe? I suppose for those interested in "accuracy," the ultimate Coupe replica would have to be those by Upstate Replicars: http://www.daytona-coupe.com/ As I understand it, they somehow got their hands on an original Daytona coupe and used it as the "buck" for their molds, making for what's arguably closer to the originals than anything. IIRC, there was even a legal bru-ha-ha over it.