The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

Every one of us has a place of retreat and solace that provides TRUE contentment that is unique and singular to WHO WE ARE, as opposed to the vapid fulfillment we get from wanking off, going to church or any one of the other mundane ways we distract ourselves daily, and it usually can't be shared with anyone else. 

360592[/snapback]

WAAAIIITTT a minute... wanking off is vapid?! :p

Every one of us has a place of retreat and solace that provides TRUE contentment that is unique and singular to WHO WE ARE, as opposed to the vapid fulfillment we get from wanking off, going to church or any one of the other mundane ways we distract ourselves daily, and it usually can't be shared with anyone else. 

360592[/snapback]

WAAAIIITTT a minute... wanking off is vapid?! :p

360672[/snapback]

Well, even if it is vapid, it certainly shouldn't be shared with anyone else! :lol:

Well, even if it is vapid, it certainly shouldn't be shared with anyone else!   :lol:

360691[/snapback]

Hmmm...I'll amend to that statement then. Perhaps THAT should be tried along with a female companion, while barreling down the freeways in your muscle car of choice? To each their own, after all.

Meanwhile, GM is rumored to be closing even more production plants and laying off even more people than originally planned.

What's the latest excuse for the impending gas price hike? Someone tried to tell me the other day but I laughed it off...

Edited by myk

What's the latest excuse for the impending gas price hike?  Someone tried to tell me the other day but I laughed it off...

360724[/snapback]

Might have something to do with the fact that the rest of the world pays twice what we pay for gas at the pump?

I've never understood the bitching about gas prices. If you have to commute, but a fuel efficient car. If you have a high performance car that sucks up gas, then deal with it because it's part of owning a vehicle like that, it's a sacrifice you make for a cool car.

I've never understood the bitching about gas prices. If you have to commute, but a fuel efficient car. If you have a high performance car that sucks up gas, then deal with it because it's part of owning a vehicle like that, it's a sacrifice you make for a cool car.

360802[/snapback]

I never bitch about gas prices. I always "laugh that topic off," just as you quoted me as saying. Gas will cost what it will cost us and there is no point in arguing the finer points of it. I don't even care about the excuses, it's just that the other day, when one of my cool cars came up in conversation, someone tried to start rattling off about gas prices but I "laughed it off." I was trying to remember what they were telling me because it had something to do with Iran, nuclear weaopns, or whatever...

Edited by myk

Nice auction description on that 'maro--it's very rare indeed to see a description as detailed and honest as that one. Less than 500 registered in the US? I never would have thought it was so few. But come to think of it, whenever I do see an early Camaro on the road, it's almost always a '68 or '69. Here's hoping you get a good high bid for it...

High gas prices? It's definitely curbed my cruising in my "playtoy" lately. I heard once that the reason gas prices average so much higher in other countries is because of taxes tacked on by their respective gov'ts for things like road maintenance, healthcare programs, etc.; whereas here in the US it's more profit and less taxes/overhead, etc.

gas prices don't bother me too much, but then considering the car that i currently drive, and the fact that i use the bus and metro to get to work, i guess it doesn't really affect me much. But as it stands, gas prices on the east coast aren't as bad as some of the prices i've seen on the west coast. Average here is about 2.20ish for regular, the highest i've seen in my area is 2.35, so it's definitely a lot better than it was about 4 months ago.

Oh man. Reading that auction almost brought me to tears. It's obvious how much you care for that car. I hope....that everything works out for the both of you.

-How do gigs like 'Foose or 'Pimp select their cars, anyway?

Oh man.  Reading that auction almost brought me to tears.  It's obvious how much you care for that car.  I hope....that everything works out for the both of you. 

360877[/snapback]

MYK, you have a hot body dude. I want to smother warm honey all over your chest and manly shoulders. Totally! :o

Oh man.  Reading that auction almost brought me to tears.  It's obvious how much you care for that car.  I hope....that everything works out for the both of you. 

360877[/snapback]

Same way extreme home and all of those others do it. Someone sends in a sob story tape and the producers pick which one they think will rake in the most ratings. With Overhaulin' it's a bit different because they mainly work with American Muscle, and normally the sob stories are just people who don't have the time or money to work on the car... so what they're really saving is... well, the car from dying or being sold.

MYK, you have a hot body dude. I want to smother warm honey all over your chest and manly shoulders. Totally! :o

360896[/snapback]

Umm...Someone help me, please.... :blink:

Same way extreme home and all of those others do it.  Someone sends in a sob story tape and the producers pick which one they think will rake in the most ratings.  With Overhaulin' it's a bit different because they mainly work with American Muscle, and normally the sob stories are just people who don't have the time or money to work on the car... so what they're really saving is... well, the car from dying or being sold.

360916[/snapback]

Pfunk would've been the perfect candidate for 'Foose, then. Heck, I would be too, although I can't imagine how I would end up paying for the taxes at the end of the year...

360877[/snapback]

With Overhaulin' it's a bit different because they mainly work with American Muscle, and normally the sob stories are just people who don't have the time or money to work on the car... so what they're really saving is... well, the car from dying or being sold.

360916[/snapback]

So I guess Foose and the gang will not accept my Volkswagen Golf GTI for a make over. It not American muscle, bit it does have 1.8 liters of pure webles. At least 90 hp at the wheels on a bad day, maybe 92 hp on a good day. Cant touch this!

So I guess Foose and the gang will not accept my Volkswagen Golf GTI for a make over. It not American muscle, bit it does have 1.8 liters of pure webles. At least 90 hp at the wheels on a bad day, maybe 92 hp on a good day. Cant touch this!

360989[/snapback]

Actually, Season 3 proved that Foose & Co. will work on any car regardless of make or condition. They worked on a 1995 Honda Civic Coupe, and two brand new cars: a 2005 Ford Mustang GT and a 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T.

360989[/snapback]

Actually, Season 3 proved that Foose & Co. will work on any car regardless of make or condition. They worked on a 1995 Honda Civic Coupe, and two brand new cars: a 2005 Ford Mustang GT and a 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T.

361029[/snapback]

Thing is, if they Overhauled your $5500 67 Camaro, you could probably send it to Barret Jackson afterward and pop $100k off the Foose custom. Whereas if they overhaul your $5500 Civic, there would be little or no residual interest from "the collectors".

I wonder if they make the people sign something something saying they won't sell the car for that very reason.

I oughta' try and get my car on that show-what do I have to lose? I wouldn't ever dream of selling it, Foose'd or not...

So I just found out an interesting bit of information that I never knew about before... apparently in New Jersey and Oregon, it is ILLEGAL for you to pump your own gas! You need to have an attendant do it for you. That's pretty crazy. Supposedly these were laws passed in the 50s to avoid costly accidents at gas stations. I think the technology has somewhat improved since then and most people don't blow themselves up at the pump, although a real moron was smoking at the pump the other day when I went to fill up.

So I just found out an interesting bit of information that I never knew about before... apparently in New Jersey and Oregon, it is ILLEGAL for you to pump your own gas!  You need to have an attendant do it for you.  That's pretty crazy.  Supposedly these were laws passed in the 50s to avoid costly accidents at gas stations.  I think the technology has somewhat improved since then and most people don't blow themselves up at the pump, although a real moron was smoking at the pump the other day when I went to fill up.

361164[/snapback]

you can flick cigarette's all day long into a bucket of gas and they will go out... I always hated that hollywood myth. Can do the same thing with jp-5 if your service and want to scare people :rolleyes: .

yep... can't pump your own gas even if you wanted to. I always found it funny watching people who have never pumped their own gas before try for the first time. One girl sat in her car for 15 minutes wondering where the guy who pumped her gas was :rolleyes: . I've also seen the traditional "squint into the nozzle wondering why nothing is coming out" when the pump activates :lol::lol:

yep... can't pump your own gas even if you wanted to. I always found it funny watching people who have never pumped their own gas before try for the first time. One girl sat in her car for 15 minutes wondering where the guy who pumped her gas was :rolleyes: . I've also seen the traditional "squint into the nozzle wondering why nothing is coming out" when the pump activates :lol:  :lol:

361172[/snapback]

Apparently a friend of mine told me a story where a woman with Jersey plates pulled up to a gas pump here in Socal and sat in her car for 10 minutes just looking at the attendant. She started to look really pissed after the first 5 until she got huffy and drove off. :lol:

I don't know about Jersey but my friend's long-time Oregonian family tells me it has to do with employment.  The law was passed, so they say, to guarantee local jobs.  Don't think gas station attentends had a powerful union, so who knows.

361179[/snapback]

I think you're right about it being to ensure jobs.

A friend of mine (from CA) goes to school in Oregon, and this past winter break she went to the gas station here and sat in the car for 10 minutes before remembering she had to pump her own gas.

For what it's worth, people in Japan don't seem to pump their own gas either. Not sure if it's because of laws like the Jersey/Oregon thing, or if it's just a result of Japan's service-oriented businesses.

funny story, my buddy has a 72 scout (bronco looking truck) and he travels a lot with it 4wheeling and such and in oregon the guy couldnt get the pump to seal on his tank and he told the guy to leave the nozzle part way out to fill it, or it would kepp shutting off. The guy wouldnt have anything to do with it, so after 1/2 hour and 5 gallons of fuel he went to the store bought a 5 gallon can and went back to the gas station, same guy filled up the can and he just took it and poored it into the truck at the pump :rolleyes:

as for Foose, im planning on doing cars somewhat like that and entering them into autoshows (autorama, ridler, ect....) to get a side business going. Im doing my truck 1st and me and the same guy with the scout are going to do a 32 ford roadster. If Katana lived closer, Id help him out on the 67. I have another freind with a 69 he wants help on

So I just found out an interesting bit of information that I never knew about before... apparently in New Jersey and Oregon, it is ILLEGAL for you to pump your own gas!  You need to have an attendant do it for you.  That's pretty crazy.  Supposedly these were laws passed in the 50s to avoid costly accidents at gas stations.  I think the technology has somewhat improved since then and most people don't blow themselves up at the pump, although a real moron was smoking at the pump the other day when I went to fill up.

361164[/snapback]

you can flick cigarette's all day long into a bucket of gas and they will go out... I always hated that hollywood myth. Can do the same thing with jp-5 if your service and want to scare people :rolleyes: .

yep... can't pump your own gas even if you wanted to. I always found it funny watching people who have never pumped their own gas before try for the first time. One girl sat in her car for 15 minutes wondering where the guy who pumped her gas was :rolleyes: . I've also seen the traditional "squint into the nozzle wondering why nothing is coming out" when the pump activates :lol::lol:

361172[/snapback]

Sure, but that's assuming you throw it in there fast enough. It's not the gasoline in the bucket itself, but the vapors you gotta worry about igniting. Same goes for the vapors that escape from the nozzle of a car as you pump the gas in, hence the warnings about smoking. What never ceases to amaze me are the asshats who insist on talking on their cellphones while pumping gas. I don't know if the warnings about "static electricity" from the phones are just urban legend or no; but even the possibility of it happening [and it sounds possible--remote as he--, but possible--when you think about it] ought to make folks use some common sense. People so careless and insistent on cackling away like that ought to be kicked square in the crack of their arse. With a hard, pointy boot. I mean really--whoever or whatever they're talking to/about is probably not at all important anyway...

pfunk--sounds like a cool plan. That's similar to what I'd like to do. What will your niche be? Will you go after aging baby boomers: with disposable cash and looking to relive past glories, build up that musclecar or classic ride they dreamed of having as a teenager? Or maybe the empty nesters: they've got the kids through college, now they're looking to start spending on more of the things they want for a change? Or the up and coming generation of hot rodders: the ones who're looking to buy their first car and set it off, turn up the power and performance, make it their own? Looking to specialize? G-machines? Traditional rods? Import/tuner muscle? Hey, speaking of Foose, there's a good question for discussion: how would one describe the style of car design that is the "Foose signature"? Or can it be quantified, given the varied bodies--pun intended--of work to his name? Or maybe Troy Trepanier [not as familiar with his work, but know the name]? Can the work these guys do be summed up in a phrase?

Edited by reddsun1

Sure, but that's assuming you throw it in there fast enough.  It's not the gasoline in the bucket itself, but the vapors you gotta worry about igniting.  Same goes for the vapors that escape from the nozzle of a car as you pump the gas in, hence the warnings about smoking.  What never ceases to amaze me are the asshats who insist on talking on their cellphones while pumping gas.  I don't know if the warnings about "static electricity" from the phones are just urban legend or no; but even the possibility of it happening [and it sounds possible--remote as he--, but possible--when you think about it] ought to make folks use some common sense.  People so careless and insistent on cackling away like that ought to be kicked square in the crack of their arse.  With a hard, pointy boot.  I mean really--whoever or whatever they're talking to/about is probably not at all important anyway...

361469[/snapback]

Actual, the show mythbusters, and a recent magazine article have shown that the danger from cellphones is non-existant. Strangely a much more dangerous practice is entering your vehicle while it is pumping, building up static energy interacting with the seat fabric, then handling the pump...

Edited by Phyrox

They did? Okay, I stand corrected. I kinda like that show, but I keep missing it when it comes on. :(

Well, the insanity has begun. The Barrett-Jackson auction has begun, and is currently being aired on the SPEED channel. Let's see what stratospheric heights the speculators, neuveaux riche and twits-with-more-money-than-sense drive the market prices for collectible/classic autos to this go 'round.

Well, the insanity has begun.  The Barrett-Jackson auction has begun....

361502[/snapback]

Mmmm, good. Hopefully they'll have plenty of closeups of that loud-mouthed cutie, Amy Sparks...

[

pfunk--sounds like a cool plan.  That's similar to what I'd like to do.  What will your niche be?  Will you go after aging baby boomers: with disposable cash and looking to relive past glories, build up that musclecar or classic ride they dreamed of having as a teenager?  Or maybe the empty nesters: they've got the kids through college, now they're looking to start spending on more of the things they want for a change?  Or the up and coming generation of hot rodders: the ones who're looking to buy their first car and set it off, turn up the power and performance, make it their own?  Looking to specialize?  G-machines?  Traditional rods?  Import/tuner muscle?  Hey, speaking of Foose, there's a good question for discussion: how would one describe the style of car design that is the "Foose signature"?  Or can it be quantified, given the varied bodies--pun intended--of work to his name?  Or maybe Troy Trepanier [not as familiar with his work, but know the name]?  Can the work these guys do be summed up in a phrase?

troy does awesome work, The market that Im shooting for is those with the cash. Ive done everything from classics to ricers,,, I just never wanted money for it. A guy I ussed to work with dumped 45,000 into a 37 ford coupe,,,,,just the body, and the guy never finished it( very popular builder) the car was supposed to be in Hot Rod from start to finish, needless to say, he had to pay a local guy about 10,000 to finish the car and put it together. Granted thier was a lot of mods and it was supposed to go to the ridler's the work wasnt that good and I know I can do better. 1st I have to finish our house and garages to do the work,,,,I have been contacted to build ornimental fences and security bars for a local computor company in thier new building, we'll have to see what happens, I may just do cars for myself and close freinds

you sure you're not confusing "gasoline" with "diesel"?

take it from me... gasoline is flammable. diesel fuel isn't.

361508[/snapback]

Yup, a lighted match or cig butt thrown into a bucket of gasoline is almost guaranteed to light the bucket up. No explosions though. Thats Hollywood only.

361591[/snapback]

a match... yeas, but a cigarette... no. Out of over 100 times throwing a cig into a cup, bucket, puddle, etc of gas and every time it has gone out. A spark works... thats why cars have spark plugs, but a cig doesn't. Anybody who doubts this can prove me wrong with a cup a gas in their back yard and a cigarrette. Not that you can't mix gas with certain chemicals so that a cigarrette is enough to cause ignition, but even 93 octane by itself won't light from a cig. I'd go into more detail but the last time I started talking about chemicals and how they burn the mods locked/deleted the whole thread :rolleyes: . Let's just say if you use thermite to erode stream banks to find fossils quicker...

84 watchers and still no bids

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMESE%3AIT

and I keep getting messages from people who want to buy it outside of ebay. WTF... they don't pay the ebay fee's... I do