The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

I've read about this on the pre-production reports for The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, but I never thought it was true. This is just plain wrong.

351509[/snapback]

I can honestly say that's the coolest Mustang I've seen in a while. Not only will it piss off Mustang owners it'll piss off the import crowd, so props to that.

I'm unbiased on both sides (mustang owner, and all around car enthusiast) and i think it's kinda cool... impractical for drift, but cool none the less.

Also there's a little trick to getting the best prices online that a good number of dealerships do. If you put in an internet request for a car with specific options and an internet salesman gets in contact with you, just wait awhile or state that you are not interested or are looking for a different make/model. In a lot of cases (like the internet sales i was managing on the east coast) an automatic coupon mailer will send out with a "manager's incentive" for a final price that's $1,000 under invoice. Which IMO is probably the best price you'll get without having to haggle for hours on end at the dealership.

I can honestly say that's the coolest Mustang I've seen in a while. Not only will it piss off Mustang owners it'll piss off the import crowd, so props to that.

351537[/snapback]

Well if your idea of car enthusiasm is being a poo-disturber, then yeah this would be the car for you. :rolleyes:

But yeah, in to paraphrase Homer Simpson...

"Correction Marge. I've destroyed two perfectly good cars."

Thanks for the link, they had the info I needed.

I saw those $50K (more or less) Lotus, at an Auto Show in Miami, they did look nice on the outside, but once I got in, I it felt like a very cheap ass car, the interiors were very poor, when you shut the doors it felt like you were shutting the door of a 15 year old car. And the seats were not the most comfortable.

I wouldnt touch that car again with a 10 foot pole.

351487[/snapback]

Lotus has always walked the line between Race Cars and Sports Cars. The alluminum interior is (in my opinion) the best interior I have ever seen... Its a car meant for driving, no cup holder, no big swoopy plastic design elements...

I feel like the car mirrors me, lean and awesome.

Car gurus, I need your help. We have been having a problem with my husband's daily driver (94 Civic). The windshield wipers stopped working late last year. Checked the switch and wiper motor and both were fine. Finally traced the problem to a blown fuse. That fixed it, but only for a short while. For some reason, the fuse keeps blowing every few months. Any ideas on a possible fix? If I can't figure it out, I will just take it to the dealership. Just hoping to get an idea of what is going on.

The only poor point of the Elise is its Weight distribution which is a design flaw that Lotus was unwilling to fix and decided to just put all of their faith into the chassis and suspension (much like how Porsche relies on AWD so their 911's don't fly off the road, which in fact still happens in races if you watch). Other than that, they're philosophy for the cars they build is simple. Power to weight in the comparable size of a go kart.

I'm unbiased on both sides (mustang owner, and all around car enthusiast) and i think it's kinda cool... impractical for drift, but cool none the less.

Also there's a little trick to getting the best prices online that a good number of dealerships do.  If you put in an internet request for a car with specific options and an internet salesman gets in contact with you, just wait awhile or state that you are not interested or are looking for a different make/model.  In a lot of cases (like the internet sales i was managing on the east coast) an automatic coupon mailer will send out with a "manager's incentive" for a final price that's $1,000 under invoice.  Which IMO is probably the best price you'll get without having to haggle for hours on end at the dealership.

351561[/snapback]

Gotta agree with you again. When I was shopping for my RSX, the first thing I did was find out the MSRP and then I put out an electronic notice that went to all of my local dealers. Within two hours, I had five responses and I just picked the best quote and started e-mail haggling. It's saves you from having to deal with dealers on the phone and in person and I ended up getting a really good deal (2006 RSX Type-S for $22,5K out the door). :)

Well if your idea of car enthusiasm is being a poo-disturber, then yeah this would be the car for you.  :rolleyes:

351562[/snapback]

Less about being a poo disturber, more about being different. I mean how often do you see an old Mustang with something other than a V8 in it? OR for that matter, how often do you see a Skyline motor in anything other than a Japanese car? It might not be practical, but it's soemthing different and it's taking two cool things and putting them together... nothing wrong with that.

Personally I hate the mindset that you can only put certain motors in certain cars. Those that think outside that norm in a given car community are harassed (happens all the time on RX7 forums with guys that drop V8's in), and I just don't understand that.

with everything that could have been done to the motor that was already in that car the only reason to have put a Skyline motor in it with a semi trailer truck's turbo is for the "OMG!!!!!11111 a skyline motor in teh old mustang fast back" factor. ;)

with everything that could have been done to the motor that was already in that car the only reason to have put a Skyline motor in it with a semi trailer truck's turbo is for the "OMG!!!!!11111 a skyline motor in teh old mustang fast back" factor.  ;)

351651[/snapback]

The point is that just about every other Mustang in existence has a Ford V8 in it, and after 30+ years it's not like there's a whole lot of exciting or new approaches to the old Fastbacks. I doubt the car is particularly fun to drive in anything other than a straight line, but it's different and that counts for something.

Car communities tend to get stuck into ruts, and keep doing the same thing over and over again and anything different than that method is "wrong" or "bad." Nothing wrong with shaking things up a bit.

Since the movie is going to be taking place in Tokyo and featuring drifting, what they SHOULD have done was have the lead drive a new GTO, a la the USA D1 GP. :lol:

Since the movie is going to be taking place in Tokyo and featuring drifting, what they SHOULD have done was have the lead drive a new GTO, a la the USA D1 GP.  :lol:

351657[/snapback]

Nah, he should drive a Dodge Viper Competition Coupe. Hubinette whooped Millen's ass this year. :ph34r:

Since the movie is going to be taking place in Tokyo and featuring drifting, what they SHOULD have done was have the lead drive a new GTO, a la the USA D1 GP.  :lol:

351657[/snapback]

Nah, he should drive a Dodge Viper Competition Coupe. Hubinette whooped Millen's ass this year. :ph34r:

351658[/snapback]

That works too. Shows how up to date I am on my automotive figure skating.

I just thought the stang was neat because i always see japanese cars with american V8's in 'em (Miata, 240/80zx, 300zx, rx-7, Supra, etc.) but i almost NEVER see American cars with Japanese motors in them, and in all fairness and respect to power to weight, both import and domestic high hp motors put out about the same. So to see someone actually jam a japanese motor into a stang is cool, but it seems like more work than it's worth.

Especially considering the drivetrain if they had to custom make one based on the stang's RWD platform or stuck with the AWD from the RB26 and then had to custom make pretty much the rest of the car to accomodate it.... i dunno, more trouble than it's worth, but cool effect.

Edited by emajnthis

These are reputed to be spy pics of the upcoming Dodge Challenger concept, due to make it's debut in January. Hoo-wah!! I like it!! Built on a shortened ver. of the Charger platform [116" w'base vs. Charger's 120"]. I WANT ONE! And with Dodge releasing a plethora of kicka$$ crate motors as well, the possibilities for a new generation of hot rodders--or the current one, wanting to relive old times--are seemingly limitless.

Only one concern: don't know if it's in the details, like the super wide tailpipes or what; but it looks a bit narrow. Make it about 2"-3" wider, then you'll be cookin' with a blowtorch, baby!

I know what it is now. It's too tall, that's what it is. Looks like the designers sought to capture the same "look" of the original's high fenderlines and rear "hips." But they should have taken into account the vast difference in sizes of respective wheelwells--the modern version's being much larger, to accomodate what looks like big honking 20" or so wheels/tires. Should have kept the car's "waistline" down low--makes the sides and doors on this ver. look really tall.

post-1488-1134422635_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1134422670_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

with everything that could have been done to the motor that was already in that car the only reason to have put a Skyline motor in it with a semi trailer truck's turbo is for the "OMG!!!!!11111 a skyline motor in teh old mustang fast back" factor.  ;)

351651[/snapback]

The point is that just about every other Mustang in existence has a Ford V8 in it, and after 30+ years it's not like there's a whole lot of exciting or new approaches to the old Fastbacks....

your probably right but if that car was in anything but a hollywood movie I think the best advice the owner of that car could take is "the shortest distance between two points is a straight line." its not a reference to drag racing or anything, it just means if you want horsepower go the easiest route. and by that I mean its probably not the best idea to import a japanese motor, turbo, ECU and God knows what else thats gotta be worth more than the entire car just to go fast in your dragger.

These are reputed to be spy pics of the upcoming Dodge Challenger concept, due to make it's debut in January.  Hoo-wah!!  I like it!!  Built on a shortened ver. of the Charger platform [116" w'base vs. Charger's 120"].  I WANT ONE!  And with Dodge releasing a plethora of kicka$$ crate motors as well, the possibilities for a new generation of hot rodders--or the current one, wanting to relive old times--are seemingly limitless. 

Only one concern: don't know if it's in the details, like the super wide tailpipes or what; but it looks a bit narrow.  Make it about 2"-3" wider, then you'll be cookin' with a blowtorch, baby!

I know what it is now.  It's too tall, that's what it is.  Looks like the designers sought to capture the same "look" of the original's high fenderlines and rear "hips."  But they should have taken into account the vast difference in sizes of respective wheelwells--the modern version's being much larger, to accomodate what looks like big honking 20" or so wheels/tires.  Should have kept the car's "waistline" down low--makes the sides and doors on this ver. look really tall.

351759[/snapback]

I would so buy that.

and I think the charger ain't bad. ofcourse nobody puts manual gearboxes in big sedans anymore so it automatically kinda sux (pun) but I think with the right color and a decent set of wheels that car can be pretty stylin'.

I actually enjoy them bringing the challenger, ever since they bought Mercedes it seems like Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep has been putting out great stuff, and their marketing has vastly improved.

I rather enjoy the high rear fenders, though i'd imagine that car has to be a pain in the ass to see out of, which is something retro styling is famous for. My guess is Dodge is building this for everyone who was pissed off about the four door Charger, because now they can have a two door Charger...er, i mean Challenger.

Dodge is also suppose to come out with the new Neon replacement using the same motor in all models but now the SRT-4 will come with AWD so the car won't torque steer itself into a ditch.

Dodge is also suppose to come out with the new Neon replacement using the same motor in all models but now the SRT-4 will come with AWD so the car won't torque steer itself into a ditch.

351873[/snapback]

From what I've seen in the magazines, the Neon is getting replaced by a small SUV-ish thing.

Edited by yellowlightman

Hmmm, since they got the spare Nissan chassis and spare V8 after creating that hybrid, do we get to see a R32/33/34 with the V8 in it too?

On that note, if they wanted to stir-poo, maybe the should have bolted 2 RBs into a 5.1 V12 quad turbo before stuffing it into the car. Its hollywood anyway. Wouldn't have to even be a working motor. Then some crazy fan will attempt to build his own...

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

I dig the new 'Charger; didn't at first, but at recent dealer-attended car shows I got a chance to ride in a new 'Daytona and....it's nice. Ride, power, refinement...sure it doesn't look anything like "my" Charger, but the expectation for Chrysler, or even Pontiac to retro-design yet another new car isn't logical for them. On Speed t.v. last weekend they had a 1/2 hour track run of the new SRT8 Charger and it was impressive...

The concept Challenger is supposed to take on the new 'Stang, but that's not going to be available 'til '07 or so? We'll all be dead by then...

Best Porsche ever created???

I'll be the first to say that IMO it definitely is. It has the mid engine layout which not only allows for better weight distribution and a more solid and rigid car, but also helps the car aerodynamically by allowing the roof to slope sooner. This car is equipped with a mediocre motor, but definitely has the room to spare for a certain Twin Turbo Boxster six that may be lying around.

post-3347-1134503939.jpg

Best Porsche ever created???

I'll be the first to say that IMO it definitely is.  It has the mid engine layout which not only allows for better weight distribution and a more solid and rigid car, but also helps the car aerodynamically by allowing the roof to slope sooner.  This car is equipped with a mediocre motor, but definitely has the room to spare for a certain Twin Turbo Boxster six that may be lying around.

352013[/snapback]

Yes, but none of them have really done much for me. Just don't like the way they look.

oh trust me, i'm not a big fan of porsche's signature look either, but it seems like from a design perspective, they're finally doing what they were suppose to be doing 20 years ago, and mid mounting their engines. What i want to see is RUF grab hold of a Cayman and turn it into a super car.

I think the biggest, yet unseen impact of the Cayman will be the fact that it could conceivably provide an "entry-level" Porsche, making the brand even more broadly accessible. It offers the potential for performance nearly equal to that of the 911, but for thousands [about 12K] less. As far as which design layout is better? The argument on that one could go on and on. It is hard to argue with the overwhelming success of the 911 design, in all its successive generations in endurance/sports car racing. It's been the company's "bread and butter," i.e. competition ready-cars made available to private customers, for decades. Even Dodge is copying the business model--to a degree--making the Viper Comp. Coupe available for sale to the public. They've definitely been doing something right over the years. I think Porsche and Toyota are pretty much the only carmakers operating in the black. The big question--and I guess only time will tell--will be whether they'll end up stepping on their own di--s by trying to continue expanding their product lines; any of the execs at Ford or GM ought to be able to tell them about how a corporation that continues to swell and expand eventually runs the danger of collapsing in on itself. SUV's? 4-door sedans? Is Ferdie rolling in his grave?

Good point on the Challenger. I hadn't considered that when it does come to market, it probably will be at $30K and UP. If they can bring an entry-level 6-cyl model to market at $19-$22K, they'll be doing pretty good [heck, you can get a 390hp Magnum 360 for about $4000; buy a 6-banger then slap in a crate motor]. Now if they can just make it a little lower--those designs don't sit well with today's prevailing philosophy of taller, more erect designing. The da-n thing's nearly as tall as that mini-van in the pics!

Car gurus, I need your help.  We have been having a problem with my husband's daily driver (94 Civic).  The windshield wipers stopped working late last year.  Checked the switch and wiper motor and both were fine.  Finally traced the problem to a blown fuse.  That fixed it, but only for a short while.  For some reason, the fuse keeps blowing every few months.  Any ideas on a possible fix?  If I can't figure it out, I will just take it to the dealership.  Just hoping to get an idea of what is going on.

351576[/snapback]

Hmmm.. I'm no car guru but I do know that a lot of Hondas in the 90s had really bad electrical systems. If the fuse has blown out this quickly, it could be a short right? Finding shorts can be a major pain in the ass as the short could be anywhere in the car. Has the car been in any accidents? Does the battery charge OK? Does it sometimes drain if not used? The accident thing may have messed up the wiring a bit.

Or, does it have an alarm? My friend had a '96 Accord that went bonkers because of the alarm.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

The Cayman's biggest problem is that it was forced to fit in between the Boxter and the 911, no doubt compromising what the designers could have squeezed out of it.

Really, Porsche should just give up on the rear engine layout and switch the 911 over to mid-engine. The 911 is way better looking and it has the heritage of being just about the greatest sports car of all time. Stubburn Germans.

I like the new Porsche's a lot. the Boxster actually looks kinda bad-ass (sorta like it did when it first came out) and the wheels they get are amazing looking.

I love the new headlights. and the blinker/parking/fog cluster the 911 has (maybe the Boxster too, can't remember) looks cool too.

Edited by Poonman

i would definitely have to say that if Porsche wanted to, they could take the design of the cayman and if they squeezed the 911 motor in there it would be the fastest porsche built in a loooong time... but knowing how stubborn porsche is about heritage, that's why i'm depending on RUF to do it instead.

As for styling, they've definitely updated with the times incorporating newer technologies into the headlamps and some of the newer fender cues, but all in all i never really liked how porsche's looked to begin with. Take the Carrera GT, the car is suppose to be a super car, but if you catch it from the front it just looks like any other porsche on the market, barely distinguishable for a $440,000 car. It only gets interesting once you start to get to the rear quarter where the V10 resides.

gi60secdvd2005.jpg

Gone in 60 Seconds ( ãƒãƒ‹ã‚·ãƒ³ã‚° in 60 )

H.B. Halicki Mercantile Co., 1974

Halicki Films/Brentwood Home Video, 2005

Written, Produced and Directed by the late H.B. "Toby" Halicki (1940-1989)

Running Time: 98 minutes

Rated PG for intense car crashes and strong language.

Cast

"Eleanor"

H.B. "Toby" Halicki as Maindrian Pace

Synopsis

Maindrian Pace is a high-profile car insurance agent. But his company is also a front for a major automotive theft ring. For an undisclosed amount of money, Pace and his gang are hired to steal 48 cars. All goes as planned until Pace attempts to take the last car on the list - "Eleanor," a yellow 1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Fastback. A high-speed pursuit ensues and Pace and Eleanor turn the streets of Long Beach and Los Angeles into a demolition derby.

Lowdown

Toby Halicki had a dream of making the most destructive car chase film ever made. After saving up from his past careers in auto repair and real estate, Halicki purchased nearly a hundred vehicles, got his friends and other complete strangers to play extras, and put $1 million of his money on his pet project. The result: pure cinema history.

Gone in 60 Seconds obviously has a paper-thin plot. As a matter of fact, the script was done during filming. For example, the opening scene where Pace invesigates a train wreck was a last-minute addition, as Halicki had just heard about a real train wreck and traveled to the scene, camera in tow. Not only did he write, produce, direct and star in this film, he drove most of the stunt cars as well. He went on to produce two other films with more vehicular carnage before he was killed in a freak accident on the set of Gone in 60 Seconds 2 in 1989.

A lack of storyline is made up through various shots of exotic cars and, of course, a 40-minute car chase involving Eleanor and just about every car on the street. Unlike the 2000 remake, which is as fake as Botox and breast implants, all the crashes and stunts are real. How often do you see a car hit a telephone pole at freeway speed and still run? And when you see Eleanor jump 30 feet in the air, you won't see a CG rendering of a Mustang superimposed on film. No camera tricks, no special effects. Just pure automotive destruction.

Not long after the remake was released, the original Gone in 60 Seconds underwent a major overhaul. The film quality has been cleaned up and the mono soundtrack was replaced with a Dolby 5.1 surround remix. Sure, the audio isn't authentic, but that doesn't really bother anyone.

Even after over 30 years, the original Gone in 60 Seconds is still the hardcore champion of car chases. Screw the remake; rent or buy this movie now. It's grand theft entertainment.

Rating: A+ (for car guys); B- (for everyone else)

DVD Extras: A

The 2005 Collector's Edition DVD is loaded with these extras:

Shoestring Showman: The Life and High Times of H.B. Halicki

Produced by the SPEED Channel. Halicki's widow Denice Shakarian Halicki, along with people involved in the film, talk about the Car Crash King.

Car Crash King's "Cut to the Chases"

Select footage from the equally destructive sequels The Junkman (1982), Deadline Auto Theft (1983) and the unfinished Gone in 60 Seconds 2. Now where can I get a Slicer?

Interviews

Featuring the unedited version of E! Entertainment News' interview with Denice. Also, Denice talks to Lee Iacocca, the father of the Ford Mustang.

Trailers

Previews for The Junkman and Deadline Auto Theft/Gone in 60 Seconds 2

Full Throttle Interactive Game

In HTML/Flash format, this is Spy Hunter minus the excitement.

Downloads

Exclusive production photos and bios unlocked in your computer.

In addition, the DVD comes with a collectible motorcycle license plate frame and a mail-in offer for auto-sized license frames and plates ($12.95 with shipping).