The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

Well, same goes with my parents 540i. I think what i mean is as long as there is no motor or drivetrain work involved... or belt work involved, then German cars are great (especially 80's and early to mid 90's for most German Manufacturers), it's just recently it seems like they have really lowered the bar on reliability, and even there reliability statistics prove it. Mercedes dropped from the top ten to the bottom ten almost overnight. BMW has had steady ups and downs, and VW is completely dependent on what brand and what model you get.

That's what i don't understand about people who say that German cars are the best thing on earth.  It's obvious that none of them actually work on their own cars.

349775[/snapback]

LOL, you are talkin about me.

Nah, an M3 is one of the very few cars that doesn't blow up, because there are A) no complicated electronics and B) race inspired engineering; all together that car is very reliable... in fact all of the three series is reliable (except the 328, and that's why they stopped production), just the navigation is shitty and plastic buttons break.

Actually, lots of S54 engines of the current E46 M3 "blew up" in the early 21st century. There were many blown engines when the current M3 was initially introduced. This resulted in the infamous rod bearing recall......not something BMW M was very proud of.

The S54 engine is very highly strung as an engine (it would have to be to produce 333HP from just 3.2L). There have also been catastrophic VANOS (BMW variable valve timing) failures, as well as a number of SMG transmission related problems for a good number of members from M3 forums.

Edited by PC Valkyrie

I'll take one if it's free...

-Actually, supercars are supposed to be quirky that way, right? Their appearance is something that you would never expect to see, or understand if you do...

Edited by myk

This has got to be the ugliest supercar ever made - the Mitsuoka Orochi

(Now, does anyone want to see these pics twice? Then don't "quote" them.)

349976[/snapback]

I actually don't mind it. I've always had odd tastes though. I used to want a opal gt and/or a bug eyed sprite. Even though they were pieces of c I thought they looked cool. I need a pick up more than a cool looking car that can't make dump runs at the moment so it's moot regardless :rolleyes:

Actually, lots of S54 engines of the current E46 M3 "blew up" in the early 21st century.  There were many blown engines when the current M3 was initially introduced.  This resulted in the infamous rod bearing recall......not something BMW M was very proud of.

The S54 engine is very highly strung as an engine (it would have to be to produce 333HP from just 3.2L).  There have also been catastrophic VANOS (BMW variable valve timing) failures, as well as a number of SMG transmission related problems for a good number of members from M3 forums.

349951[/snapback]

I remember hearing about the Variable Valve Timing problems, but that probably has a lot to do with BMW's limited experience with the technology. I am personally against SMG transmissions, so anyone who got one deserves for it to be broken. Though outside of the VVT i haven't heard much from that motor having serious failures, news to me B))

This has got to be the ugliest supercar ever made - the Mitsuoka Orochi

(Now, does anyone want to see these pics twice? Then don't "quote" them.)

349976[/snapback]

I actually don't mind it. I've always had odd tastes though. I used to want a opal gt and/or a bug eyed sprite. Even though they were pieces of c I thought they looked cool. I need a pick up more than a cool looking car that can't make dump runs at the moment so it's moot regardless :rolleyes:

350025[/snapback]

I allways liked the Opel's, a good freind of mine restored a GT a few years back for his dad. I like how the headlights work

oh, it's the "smiling Mach 5" again.  Yup, it's definitely an, er, interesting design.  I swear that "face" that the grille/headlights seems to make is kinda creepy...

350129[/snapback]

Wasn't it already posted in this thread? I could have sworn I've seen it before but I dont feel like sifting through the 100 pages of this thread.

Actually, lots of S54 engines of the current E46 M3 "blew up" in the early 21st century.  There were many blown engines when the current M3 was initially introduced.  This resulted in the infamous rod bearing recall......not something BMW M was very proud of.

The S54 engine is very highly strung as an engine (it would have to be to produce 333HP from just 3.2L).  There have also been catastrophic VANOS (BMW variable valve timing) failures, as well as a number of SMG transmission related problems for a good number of members from M3 forums.

349951[/snapback]

the engine rod bearing thing wasn't that bad. didn't affect that many cars.

Hey A1, you might want to consider this car before getting your Elise - the 2007 Lotus Europa S.

that things kinda sorry looking.. might be the RSX headlights, Eclipse butt or NSX doors but something about it looks to be about 5 years old to me.

Edited by Poonman

The new Lotus' aren't my cup of tea either, but I admire their handling prowess and other attributes...

Well, The Dukes of Hazzard hit DVD shelves a couple of days ago. And so, with a coupon I picked up from Del Taco, I rented the fullscreen PG-13 version for free. (The clerk over at Hollywood Video told me that the Unrated version has just a topless scene and that's about it.)

The DVD has a couple of featurettes on the General Lee:

1. "The General Lee Lives" - Director Jay Chandrasekhar and the special effects team talk about the legendary car and the action scenes that make the movie at least watchable.

2. "How to Launch a Muscle Car 175 Feet in 4 Seconds" - For the major jumps, a Charger was gutted out and launched using nitrogen. On the intro jump, the Charger landed nose-first. On the freeway jump, it fishtailed and hit the center divider. Seann William Scott was superimposed on the City Hall jump scene.

And for those who follow D1 Grand Prix, Rhys Millen was behind the wheel on the Atlanta chase scene where the General Lee drifted around the rotunda.

That movie made little sense, as I found it trying to be a parody of the original series while including the crassness of the American Pie generation, so 99% of the jokes fell flat on their face and the movie just felt DOA. I do recommend watching scene 20 though, as Rhys' drift is absolutely incredible; he does something in a car that was never meant to go in anything other than a straight line. I wish my 'Charger was set up like that one, and I definitely wish I had a fraction of Rhys' skills....

The unrated bloopers have countless nude scenes that to any red-blooded male look good, but once again appear to be senseless; I suppose that's why they wound up on the cutting room floor.

That movie made little sense, as I found it trying to be a parody of the original series while including the crassness of the American Pie generation, so 99% of the jokes fell flat on their face and the movie just felt DOA.  I do recommend watching scene 20 though, as Rhys' drift is absolutely incredible; he does something in a car that was never meant to go in anything other than a straight line.  I wish my 'Charger was set up like that one, and I definitely wish I had a fraction of Rhys' skills....

The unrated bloopers have countless nude scenes that to any red-blooded male look good, but once again appear to be senseless; I suppose that's why they wound up on the cutting room floor.

351006[/snapback]

you did watch the first additional scene too, right? you know, the 3 1/2 minute drifting on dirt scene?

I heard he put a 2:1 steering box in it, I wonder where I can find one.....

Seriously. Jessica's never really "done" it for me though-it's got something to do with her face, it seems odd or at the very least manly.

Also, I didn't catch that 2.5 minute long drift scene in the dirt, as I only viewed the "unrated" out-takes and bloopers for their "adult" oriented content; I'm such a cad...

Would you really have to put a 2:1 steering box to pull something like that off?

Edited by myk

lol, i just thought i'd mention this here since i know pfunk is pretty active in this thread. I was doing a google search for jennifer aniston topless since i've been hearing it on the news for the last 3 or 4 days and pfunks blogger site was one of the top 5 :lol:

Where is a good Place to get car Prices?

I'm currently deciding between 2 cars

Option 1: Mazda6i (Sports Sedan, 4-Cylinder), 2006, Which comes with Auto Transmission, I'm gonna have them add Leather Seats and the rear Spoiler.

The out-the-door-price is $19k (with Tax & fees included)

Option 2: Mazda6s (5-Door, V6), 2005, Comes also with auto transmission, and every extra possible, it's a dealer Demo, so it comes with 6k miles already.

The out-the-door-price is $24.5K (With Tax & Fees included), but I am hoping to bring this price down to $22.5K.

Where else can i find prices for cars???

Thanks for the link, they had the info I needed.

I saw those $50K (more or less) Lotus, at an Auto Show in Miami, they did look nice on the outside, but once I got in, I it felt like a very cheap ass car, the interiors were very poor, when you shut the doors it felt like you were shutting the door of a 15 year old car. And the seats were not the most comfortable.

I wouldnt touch that car again with a 10 foot pole.