Macross Plus

alsey3k

when i first watched macross plus it was the dubbed VHS version and i liked everything about it, then several years later i got Macross Plus on dvd and watched the original Japanese version with original voice and BGM. I hate to say but I think the Dubbed version of Macross Plus BGM is so much better then the japanese,

?

The background music for the Macross Plus dub is identical, except for episode 4 where Magna had to improvise and replace the music with pieces from earlier episodes due to them not having the original masters available (I forget the exact reason why).

It wasn't intentional. The R2 dvd contains the English dub with the music for that episode repaired.

considering i watched Macross Plus way back when it was first released I think i like the

english voices, because thathow i first watched it. Now Macross Zero I like the japanese voice if there was a dubbed version that would ever come out then i don't think i would it like

I dunno, I like the Dogfight bgm more that the Breakout one, even though I first saw the English dub. I guess this is just the purist in me liking things more the way they were originally done than having to watch later modifications.

Oh, and wasn't Manga's improvisation due to their having lost their master tape for the background sound for ep 4. Wasn't it a fire or some sort of carelessness?

"Dog Fight" isn't the only track missing in the English dub. In the scene where Isamu and Guld apologize and resolve their differences, the track "Cantabile" (available in OST 1 and OST Plus: Fans Only) is played. The English dub has that track replaced with "Myung Theme."

As for preference, I like both the Japanese and English versions. While the BGM on the Japanese is better, most of the sound effects on the English version is better.

The new SFX don't match any of the SFX in any of the other episodes (or macross for that matter), like them all you want, but they don't fit. And Dog Fight definately fit the 4th episode better than breakout, I mean come on.

But seriously, the English version of Voices (which I believe was the actual topic of this) doesn't even begin to make sense. It's a song Myung wrote in high school....about the events that take place in the OVA 7 years later? Hell no! It doesn't even fit the title of the song.

OK, since you guys brought this up, it reminded me of something that's always bugged me about M+. The fact that Isamu and Guld pretty rip up massive chunks of city during their dog-fight.

That could not have gone over too well.

Just my randon $0.02 :p

Considering that as far as we can tell, everyone on Earth is under Sharon's spell (which would answer why she wasn't cut off from the defense net), being saved from that would likely obsolve them of any damage done.

OK, since you guys brought this up, it reminded me of something that's always bugged me about M+. The fact that Isamu and Guld pretty rip up massive chunks of city during their dog-fight.

That could not have gone over too well.

Just my randon $0.02 :p

Hehe, I ask myself this everytime I watch that scene... there must have been thousands of casualties from their little dog fight.

considering i watched Macross Plus way back when it was first released I think i like the

english voices, because thathow i first watched it. Now Macross Zero I like the japanese voice if there was a dubbed version that would ever come out then i don't think i would it like

Spleeen decline. :D

I like the Japanese version of Voices better.

Not necessarily. What if it was (highly unlikely as it may be) a pre-war city that somehow wasn't entirely levelled. Or equally unlikely, an Earth version of a battle mock-up city like the one on Eden.

Or everyone was massed in the streets around the concert hall(I won't atempt to claim the whole city fit IN it).

Most of the dogfight took place well away from the concert.

Not necessarily. What if it was (highly unlikely as it may be) a pre-war city that somehow wasn't entirely levelled. Or equally unlikely, an Earth version of a battle mock-up city like the one on Eden.

nope, they killed plenty of people and now theyre going to hell for it! :p

Come on, there wasn't even any traffic on the street's. If that city had anyone in it, there would have been helicopters or something mobilized, bodies flying out of windows, etc. Kawamori has never been one to be squeemish with civilian casualty animation, so the city, for whatever reason, had to be empty.

The jap voices was ok except for some parts like isamu making the high pitch noises like hes having sex with a gerbal during the high speed turns. the english voices was so so but could been much better.

I like the enlish sound effects much more than the jap version; guess they accidently improved it instead of messing it up like the rules of anime dubbing states :lol: .

the music for me is a toss up for which was better in ep4, frankly I don't really focus on the background music while watching the movie unless its the major part of it.

The English Dub just simply has more oomph in the sounds than the OVA

The Movie version however has better sounds than the english version.

What I noticed in the jap OVA is that some sounds are actually missing and there is silence instead. Often when they are shooting at eachother.

The jap voices was ok except for some parts like isamu making the high pitch noises like hes having sex with a gerbal during the high speed turns. the english voices was so so but could been much better.

Heh, I'd like to hear the kinds of sounds you'd make doing high-g turns in our own, non variable jets. :rolleyes:

I think Dogfight is better in part 4, because it fits with what's going on on the screen, the way it builds up to a crescendo like that. Besides, I got sick of hearing the other tune in EVERY action scene.

Anyone noticed how, disregarding the English dub, the Japanese dubs of the movie and the series are different? It looks like the actors re-did all of the dialogue from scratch, even the lines that remained the same.

It's interesting to compare the two, as some scenes are acted out differently, and some lines are stressed more than others.

The English Dub just simply has more oomph in the sounds than the OVA

The Movie version however has better sounds than the english version.

What I noticed in the jap OVA is that some sounds are actually missing and there is silence instead. Often when they are shooting at eachother.

I disagree about the english version having better sounds - the gunpods sound like lasers. The movie does have the superior sounds of all - so I agree there.

The jap voices was ok except for some parts like isamu making the high pitch noises like hes having sex with a gerbal during the high speed turns.

Which is pretty much what real fighter pilots sound like, thanks to the g-forces.

Sounds missing? No, the Japanese just don't need to fill every waking second with senseless noise.

Indeed. Most dubbed anime has every character going, "huh?", "whu?" or whatever every time they turn around...