Doesn't Shawn realize?

Considering all that is really discussed around here these days is Metal Gear Solid 3, Ace Combat 5, and your random movie review, I just don't see why it is Shawn continues to put out his own money for this website. We all know it hasn't been updated in months, we all know he doesn't have time to, and things are pretty dead Macross wise these days. This place is about 5 seconds away from becoming Off-Topic World.

I say find someone to run this place, or shut it down. Its almost insulting to what this place used to be to keep it on the bare minimum of life support. Shawn is just throwing away his money.

like any other message board, things do slow down, people lose interest and move onto other things but its not like there isn't a community here.

not to be mean, but if you don't like it here, why not find another place to hang? instead of making a suggestion to shut down the site?

sorry, but just because you think things are slow, doesn't mean there aren't people that come here religiously everyday. i talk to atleast 2 people a day through PM's if not more and post something in regards in regards to macross or helping another member whether he/she is new or old.

Are you paying the monthly fees for keeping this site running? I didnt think so. This place is called MacrossWorld for a reason. It has ceased to be so. As much as anybody I want Shawn to step up and do something. If he is busy then get someone else who is willing (and I bet there are plenty) to run the site. If not, shut it down, this place is quickly becoming a shell of its former self. Its almost embarassing.

Oh, and on a side note, what exacrtly does Graham do around here besides getting toys for free so he can push the rest of us into buying them? His name is on the site, and he is a co-admin, yet he does no work on the site. Just wondering.

Heh, I haven't gotten any toys from Yamato for about a year now. They don't talk to me anymore.

As for what I do for MW. Well, the answer is not much at the moment :D , as my baby takes most of my time. What little free time I do have these days I'd rather spend relaxing some other way, rather than sitting in front of a monitor for hours on end updating a website.

Anyway, It's not just Shawn that updates MW. For the last year or so since I finally got round to mastering Dreamweaver, all of the updates on MW have been by me since Shawn has been absent.

As for what I've done in the past, well: -

• A great deal of the content of MW was provided by me, including most of the magazine scans, toy pic, book pics, CD pics etc.
  • All the toy reviews were written and photoed by me. the last 5-6 toy reviews were also upload to the site by me, since I got the hang of creating and uploading web pages.
  • The MW Custom Toy gallery pages were created by me.
  • I've been the one updating the magazine section for the past year, since Shawn has been absent.
  • In the past, I used to provide the news lettters as well.

Hopefully, if and when Shawn ever comes back he'll have more time for updates. I think (hope) that in another 6 months when my baby is 1 year old, I may have more time to work on MW as well.

Alternatively, if Shawn is willing, he may want to consider allowing some other trusted members access to the server, so they can also contribute updates.

Graham

We all know you have the kid, Graham, and we all know Shawn has been very busy. We also know that this site costs money to keep going, and its not really going anywhere right now. Just sad to see it fall into this state.

The idea of letting other trustworthy MW members doing updates etc. is surely a great idea B)) This will lighten up the workloads of Shawn and Graham!

May I also suggest an idea of a small contribuition towards the cost of running the site from everyone at the forum will certainly help. This will in return help us consolidate the real fans from the occaisional on lookers and so on, not to mention letting only Shawn pay for all the bills! I belive the most of us will have no problem with it ;)

I mean in the end we are a community of dedicated Macross fans :lol:

Andy :)

I agree with the Duke... Do something with it or can it. I prefer to keep it. I love this place but it kills me to see so much energy and tallent in our members and our admins maintaining a level of half-ass. I understand people getting bussy, but the show must go on.

I can never understand why there must be such imature suggestion to shut this site down whenever times are slow, or whenever people happen to talk more of other anime and sci-fi related stuff. So it's true that times are slow for now - so what, at least there will be people around when something "Macross" comes up!

This site and the name it carries is why there are still Macross and Robotech fans around - Don't anyone ever forget that. Of all the angles to choose from, why would some still choose to look at the negative and suggest something as drastic as shutting the site down have always baffled me.

I guess there will always be backseat drivers.

There is one thing which is undeniable about this site though, Shawn owns it. Be glad he doesn't broom your arse - for such insolent ideas. :ph34r:

While it may be true, this site does go through some stagnant stages, it does not mean it should be shut down. There is so much reference data here that it would be a sin to remove it all. Not to mention all the hard work and effort of Shawn & Graham, the fans, the customizers, the modelers, the lookie-loos, Duke Togo and so on...to make this possible and available to everyone out there to enjoy.

Think about it, would you really want to loose this place? I for one would not.

NB4M

;)

While it may be true, this site does go through some stagnant stages, it does not mean it should be shut down. There is so much reference data here that it would be a sin to remove it all. Not to mention all the hard work and effort of Shawn & Graham, the fans, the customizers, the modelers, the lookie-loos, Duke Togo and so on...to make this possible and available to everyone out there to enjoy.

Think about it, would you really want to loose this place? I for one would not.

NB4M

;)

I am with NB4M. So what if things are slow. If the cost of keeping it going is not a big deal then what harm is there in letting it continue. If people are so worried about things being slow, then stop complaining and start contributing. Grahams not the only one who can use a scanner or take pics of new toys that come out. There are loads of useful information in the forums that could be moved to the main sight, but we can't expect the admins to do all of the work trying to gather and organize new material or ideas. The website may not be directly run by everyone in the community, but we can do our part to help out. What harm could it do?

So we're in a slow period: So what?

We discussed Macross Zero plenty as it was being released and still are discussing it now even. We discuss and analyze every macross point we can thik of. We still discuss Valkyrie avionics. We still talk about every macross toy and model on the planet. When the the Q-rau got released we discussed it plenty. We're still talking about the Konig Monster and will talk about it a lot more when it's in some of our hands.

Yeah, the Other Anime section is huge. That's what happens whem there is one Other Anime forum. It's as should be since this is MacrossWorld ). Other general forums can branch off separately for popular shows. There are a lot of good topics in our OtherAnime and Sci-fi section. The useless topics find their way to page 10 quickly or are closed. I don't think there's any half-assing involved here. Macross-specific news has been slower of late, but that doesn't mean the end of the world.

With the number of active posters (and registered/unregistered lurkers), I can hardly call this place dying. The front page has it's uses still as well, just we recognise the forum is where the meat is now. As there is time in the future, the front page can get some updates, buit it's lower on the priority list. All pertinent news gets put up here in the forum, along with all the useful pics.

I like these forums a lot better than Animeondvd's forums (which I actually avoid), and I lurk around Animepunch and Twin Moons. This is the only forum I post heavily on, and I like it here.

We aren't in a "slow period". This website hasn't been updated with anythign substantial since the spring, if not last year.Macross Zero came and went, and you wouldn't have knwon it if you didn't read the grossly out of date message board, or caught some of Graham's magazine scans. The website, as a whole, is still living back in 2002/2003. 2005 is almost upon us.

And, ah, Shawn puts out money for this every month. I think its disgraceful what has been allowed to happen.

Duke,

Like I said before, it is still a great site for referencing.

Many people who come across this site learn tons of new things, meet new members, begin friendships, discuss their common likes and dislikes pertaining to Macross. Once in a while, we do tend to hit a drought, but just because it is dry it does not mean there will always be a drought.

Think of the days when nothing new was really being produced, times were slow, all you would do is search forum, after forum to look for that rare item that not one person really knew about. But here you can ask and get a response to most anyting Macross, (ei: wwwwmmwwww or Blackaces, those guys know about true obscure items.

Eventhough you think there is nothing new to speak of, there always is. For instance: 1/48 GBP, Customs, Rare Resin Kits, WF Events and Pieces, etc...and tons of other stuff. Don't think that just because the site is not updated it means that it should be put out of it's misery. On the contrary, lend a hand stop your bitchin'. If you are helping with this site, than more than anyone here you have a reason to complain. But if not, then just say shad-up :p and offer yourself as means to a solution and not a factor of the problem.

Plus, many of us have lives to tend to and must continue to live outside of MacrossWorld.

Think about it...

NB4M

;)

***TO ALL MW MEMBERS: I appreciate the hardwork and dedication of all who participate here. Thanks. B))

It isn't an issue of new Macross stuff vs. no new Macross stuff. Its a matter of, this site is obviously poorly maintained and looks like a site that has an admin that doesn't really care anymore. It is hard as a potential member to get really excited about that.

***HOW THE HELL CAN YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT SOMETHING FREE, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU BENEFIT FROM IT? UNF***ING, BELIEVABLE.

Have you ever had a girlfriend?

You put time in a relationship with a woman, you expect something out of it. We as members make this site alive and interesting, but to fruthur an interesting fan site, effort on the part of the administration is necessary.

It has nothing to do with free or not free.

AgentOne,

I wouldn't say the admin does not care about this site. It is more about keeping your priorities in order.

*Graham - Just had a little Graham

*Shawn - Not sure, but he has his reasons. That is good enough for me.

Also, If Shawn did not care about the site, he could have easily terminated this site at his own discretion at any time he wishes.

People have other things to do as well, besides MW.

If Graham says Shawn will return in late December, let's just wait and see what happens. Also, if Graham needs time with the new addition, so be it.

All in all, it is their site.

NB4M,

;)

I sense an attempt to stir up drama. Obviously, people are bored.

Apparently, we've gotten to the point where we no longer ask for people to be banned when we don't like them. . . some of us have moved on to requesting that the entire site be shut down when we no longer like what we see!

People can feel free to leave at any time. But to expect the lights to be shut off as you leave. . . am I the only one sensing a huge amount of narcisism here?

Of course, it's being couched in a "just looking out for Shawn" message. . . but I personally don't buy it. I've never heard Shawn complain once about the costs of MW. And, for the record, member donations towards bandwidth and storage costs is nearly always the precursor for disaster among any online community.

Regarding costs though: Less than $100/month gets you a hell of a lot of bandwidth these days. Why don't we let Shawn worry about his own finances, mmmkay?

By the way, since when did all websites need spanking new, constantly updated data in order to be useful? I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a better Macross resource on the web (other than the Compendium). But, if it doesn't have the newest possible info, it should just disappear into the ether? Why is that a good idea? :huh:

As for asking Shawn and/or Graham to turn over their baby: Why? MW provides several valuable services to the Macross fanbase. And, anyone who thinks they can do better are welcome to start up their own site.

I hope I'm wrong. . . but really, this whole thread reeks of a member or two getting bored and tired of this place. But, instead of just wandering off like so many of us do when we burn out on Macross for a while. . . they want to burn the whole place down behind them as they leave.

Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe I've interpreted this poorly. But judging by the egos/characters involved, I doubt it.

But really, lighten up people. It's a friggin' website. Don't we have more to worry about in our daily lives than how well maintained an anime fan site is?

And, now, with that, I must pop about eight advil and try not to respond. . . cuz typing this much hurts like hell:

wristcast.jpg

Eight more weeks of relative silence from me! :)

Edited by Hurin

Not our call!

To me MW is very much alive, but it isn't (and can't be) 24 hours macross all the time

(BW and Kawamori should get off their asses and make a new series, then we'll be talking)

BTW if someone doesn't like how MW's doing, he's free to leave and find more

entertaining things

You guys are acting like DT and I are being a-holes.

I think Shawn will appreciate feedback even if it is negitive. When Shawn decided to create MW I am sure he didn't plan for mediocrity.

Hey DT and AO,

Constructive feedback is greatly appreciated!

Honestly though, if your main intent is to constructively critisize to make things better, then you failed. Why ask for the site to be shut down?

Make suggestions instead, offer help, or just DO SOMETHING, ANYTHING. Build, customize, take on a new endeavor that is Macross based.

No one is making anyone sound like anything, you do that on your own. :p

I'm sure when the administration has time to play catch up, they will.

Ease Up, It's Going To Be OK.

NB4M

;)

***What happened to your arm? Is that what happens when you suggest the site should be shut down? :p

Playing softball on wet grass w/out cleats. Ball hit to me, slipped, went down on my glove-hand. Here's the result.

Played football in high school. Skated for almost ten years (including our half-pipe that was 9-feet high!). Grew up with two other brothers. Never, ever broke a bone. Apparently, after 30, it's a whole new game where your skeletal system is concerned. Didn't even fall that hard. :huh: With this bone, it's more about how you fall on it rather than how strong the bone (or your arm) is. If you fall on it just right, it'll break, whether you're a pro athlete or a computer geek like me. :rolleyes:

Coping with the cast pretty well though. It isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Was kidding about the advil. Pain is minimal as soon as I stop typing! Which I'll now do.

Thanks for asking though.

H

Don't be stupid. If you're getting sick of the site, then leave. What Shawn chooses to do with his money is his own concern. If you're getting sick of it, I'm sure RT.com would take you.

:rolleyes:

This thread on the other hand, is a waste of time/space because there's simply no point in strangers discussing what others should do with their time and money, unless of course they are asked. That is not the case here.

In any case it appears that so far you are out-voted.