Recovering Valkaholics . . .

Kamineko

my spare bedroom is looking like a toy store now.

Actually i intend to use a room exclusively for my anime madness, when i can buy my own flat. I kept all boxes nicely (esp MGs) so that in future i can display them on shelves in the room, together with cabinets full of mechas. A room i can walk in to relax and dream... :D

Yes! My dream is to have a house where one room will feel like you stepped into a Yamato distribution center/warehouse . . . Yammies floor to ceiling :lol:

Well, we can dream . . .

I don't think people that really like Macross are not as interested, it's just that everything that needs to be said has been.... from this point were just reiterating ourselves...

It wouldn't be Macrossworld if we didn't reiterate :p

I only just got into them and am happy to still have access to the variety of valks. I had a friend who had bandais but I was not impressed with the posability.

Then I saw 1/48s and love the detail on them.

To me this toy is an expensive toy that you are not meant to really 'collect' but kind of apreciate for its unique quality above other toys. At least that's the impression I get anyway. (kind of like the image HG are trying to pull off with thier master pieces :D)

It's kind of like my obsession with games: you tend to apreciate them better when you don't go crazy buying too much at any one time.

I don't plan on losing interest, I think love of the series and interest can be expressed not by the size of the collection but just appreciation in general.

People talk about interest waning because of the flooded market and being a little spoilt for choice but I think the passion shouldn't be affected by that. Just because you know something is widely available and cheaper than what it once was shouldn't change your attitude should it?

I just wish these things were available locally so we can all collect more of them and the masses can start to apreciate the line of toys out there. Imagine going into a shop (non-import) and finally being able to see 1/48s on a shelf and buying them at regular price rather than ordering them from some online shop who has to ship them?

Sales for the toy would increase, and maybe jog people's memories if people could see them upclose on display. I know a few people who would buy one on impulse but are too lazy and couldn't be bothered about them by online purchase. It's too bad that macross is an old series. Had these been available when we were little kids they'd probably ensure more variety in the releases because they could ride on the success and freshness of the name. (this is why if they could retell the events with a new cg series to a new generation, it would allow bigger sales of the toys imo You can't rely on an aging fanbase because they are jaded and won't be there forever)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Well, I'm not selling any off my stuff. Worked hard to build my collection of Yammies. I don't consider myself a valkaholic. I display my stuff, bought one of each (not the case of my extra 1/60 VF-1A Hikaru which became a TV VF-1 Max and my 3 GBP sets).

I pay my bills, work hard, enjoy life with my girlfriend (soon to become my wife next year :lol: ).

Plan your spending, pay your bills, think of your retirement and enjoy life. You won't need to sell your collection ;)

I still collect every thing that comes out but the excitement really isn't there. I still remember holding the Yamato 1/60 VF1A Hikaru when it came out....Man, that was a great nostalgic feeling. Nowadays, it's not a big deal to add something else to the closet. Usually, I'll crack the box open, take a look at the detail, perhaps make a transformation or two and decide whether it goes into the closet or stays out for display....

I use to keep four pieces of every Valkyrie that came out but stopped by the time the 4th 1/60 Valkyrie was released. I realized that I started to take up too much space. So now....I only keep two of an item. One for display and one sealed.. Usually this rule applies to transforming figures. The small figurines and such...I just keep the one I open...

-K

Edited by VALKYRIE-EXCHANGE.COM

Honestly, with the 20 anniversary of Robotech coming, I think Macross will stay quite strong being it's the root show for Robotech. It's all just a matter of priorities. Some of us are still in a position where space, and social status hasn't changed enough and we can still collect. Others are now fathers, while some are in new homes and just can't afford it, or afford as much. I'm still a collector, like you, Kevin, but the fact is that the joy of getting the new toys are not as strong. Perhaps it's just cause I'm a little tired of the VF-1 series. I think I'll feel the joy again once the VB-6 is out, or if the VF-19FP comes out.

So far, my collection consist of 18 Bandai 1/55s, 9 1/60s, two each of all the M+ valks, 5 1/48s, all the Bandai M7 stuff, all Toynami MPCs, and many other odd and end releases. My buying has slowed down, and will until new valks come out that are non VF-1. Not stop, just slow down.

It saddens me to see so many of us losing the excitement.... I'm just not one of them... I LOVE my collection, and it stays with me forever... I still get excited when a new item comes out... Right now they go straight to the storage closet, but that will change as soon as I have constructed a suitable display case to proudly show them off...

I don't care what anyone says about my collection.. I'm 34 years old, and I love those little suckers, and anyone that thinks it's wierd, that's ok, because I'm sure that they have something about them that other people think is weird...

Keep the stuff coming Yamato!

It saddens me to see so many of us losing the excitement.... I'm just not one of them... I LOVE my collection, and it stays with me forever... I still get excited when a new item comes out... Right now they go straight to the storage closet, but that will change as soon as I have constructed a suitable display case to proudly show them off...

I don't care what anyone says about my collection.. I'm 34 years old, and I love those little suckers, and anyone that thinks it's wierd, that's ok, because I'm sure that they have something about them that other people think is weird...

Keep the stuff coming Yamato!

yup pretty much.

i just got my max rau and i'm all psyched on it. yeah i have the red rau but it still looks great displayed next to it. i also just got all the mission gashpons toys last night and i'm totally hooked on them too....the gashapons are way cool. :p i gotta get me some more!!!

i don't think peoples buying has slowed down as much as the macross releases have slowed down. perhaps if there was something new on the horizon(outside of the koeing or craptastic MPCs) it would get everyone excited again but at the current pace companies are releasing macross toys, its a total snooze fest and nobody wants to party. :(

Ya know, I don't think the majority of us are ditching our collections due to lack of interest. In my case, I have to consider whats coming versus what I have. My physical space is limited, and holding onto dupicates, and even triples of MISB stuff is gonna force me to start using my car to hold stuff. :lol: j/k of course!

My physical space is limited, and holding onto dupicates, and even triples of MISB stuff is gonna force me to start using my car to hold stuff. :lol: j/k of course!

I can see that being a major factor... I guess it helps to have an office at home... I'm lucky that way for now... ;)

Jsut like religion haha!!!

Ah, good idea: Maybe to preserve the fanbase we need to create a religion like some people have with star wars. :D

I always thought of the macross as a kind of ark that saved civilisation in the series. They could name it Valkism or Macrossism and recruit new cult members to the cause. I nominate you as leader. The name Macross must not be forgotten. Generations must not fall under the curse of other evil mecha shows. Only the most dedicated can join and you must give up all your material possessions, money, family obligations, and duties to serve the 1/48 VF1..Staues of vf1 will be erected in battroid form to preserve the memory and members can pray and bow down to thier awesome power. /jk

We're not that far off. How many of us already have shrines dedicated to the Valks? I know I do. LOL, We shall pray to the Floating Head to rain down new Macross toys, and bless your lowly servants for a new series... :blink:

For me it comes down to space and cash.

I recently need to pay off my CC a bit, so I sold my 1/60 MAX FAST pack toy. After all, I have the 1/48. so what did i need the 60 for? If i can get myself a Roy 1/48 with the strike set, then ill more than likely sell my 1/60 of him as well.

Lets face it, here in oz, to get something like the low viz or max 1/48 i had to fork out over $350 each! Thats a lot of money I could be spending on the various other toy series i collect for one thing, like transformers and Marvel Legends. Theres only so much I can do and spend, and macross is just to pricey to do hardcore.

Also Yamato (Who I think make the best valks) just arent doing anything new. Yeah theres the Qraus, but im so-so on getting them. Again, they're like $250 or so each for me, so its a big call. The monster is laughably expensive, so Ill skip that. And the mO stuff looks silly. So thers just nothing left to get! I havent posted here in quite some time, bu Id swing by looking for new stuff....and theres nothing.

So with a roy 1/48 and an Alpha fighter i think Ill be done for quite some time. Sad really.

I recently need to pay off my CC a bit, so I sold my 1/60 MAX FAST pack toy. After all, I have the 1/48. so what did i need the 60 for? If i can get myself a Roy 1/48 with the strike set, then ill more than likely sell my 1/60 of him as well.

Lets face it, here in oz, to get something like the low viz or max 1/48 i had to fork out over $350 each! Thats a lot of money I could be spending on the various other toy series i collect for one thing, like transformers and Marvel Legends. Theres only so much I can do and spend, and macross is just to pricey to do hardcore.

Also Yamato (Who I think make the best valks) just arent doing anything new. Yeah theres the Qraus, but im so-so on getting them. Again, they're like $250 or so each for me, so its a big call. The monster is laughably expensive, so Ill skip that. And the mO stuff looks silly. So thers just nothing left to get! I havent posted here in quite some time, bu Id swing by looking for new stuff....and theres nothing.

So with a roy 1/48 and an Alpha fighter i think Ill be done for quite some time. Sad really.

dude,

where the heck are you buying toys from? you might want to check out some of the sellers here cause the price you're paying is completely out of hand! :o

Dude I know about the low viz. I once saw that in a china town import store (things are like 3 times the price!!!) and given the rarity now that one might be understandable. But the other stuff (super max 1/48? or just regular without fp?) you are getting ripped off. Try looking around online for better prices. Even with crappier exchange rates (but for now at the time of writing this, the exchange rates aren't bad at all, they are quite good infact: $1 aud = 0.763271 USD) that's too way too high to be paying for them.

The qrau's should not be $250 aud. They should be more around the $150aud imo. (that's the red milia with pilot vers) Duuuuuude... you must be buying from one of those tiny import stores that charge 3times the price for things. :D

The exchange rate on the Austrailian Dollar isn't very favorable which would probably explain the higher price he has to pay plus shipping.

that's true, the dollar is weaker, but THAT high? No way. It might be that he bought the stuff from a small retailer that stocks very little. I've seen some outrageous prices for things. For example Those little banprestos valks?This will make you laugh: $60 AUD!!! :blink: (and these are the plain, non-super or strike part ones!)

Anyway whereever he got them from, he should shop around a little for better prices, and order them online from somewhere at more sane prices so he can get more stuff. If you buy from a tiny import retail store with a shopfront, you will probably be paying extra and on top of that, whatever profit they want to make off the sale. (usually they will charge double,triple or whatever price they can get away with) The first time I saw stuff like the banpresto valks at $60AUD or the bandai valks @ $250 AUD, I thought: whoah there is no way a little kid is going to be able to afford to buy any of this stuff let alone an adult who is looking for a toy. (unless it's rare or LE like low vis)

Well, first off i DID buy the low Viz for about 360 in an import store. i knew I was getting charged through the roof, but this was WAY after their release, so i felt lucky to get one at all. Low viz, if u are in sydney and mean Astro Hobbies near Haymarket, then im the sucker who bought it ;)

Ill give u a current example. The Millia 1/48 with Fp is currently (As of 13/11/04) up for $251 at HLJ. now I seem to recall Max being more thahn that when i got him, but assuming he wasnt, Id probably get the EMS express mail, since it can be tracked, is insured and I get it in a week. Thats an extra $60 or so aussie. So we're loking at about 310 or so Aussie for that.

Its not just the conversion rate as people say. Its also import duties n stuff. people are blown away we pay $15 for Marvel Legends (About $7-$8 in the states) or 25 for delux transformers (I think at most 15, i forget). The truth is, we're a LONG way from most places and so getting stuff is pricey. Im a toy collector, and i accept this. but I have to be selective. i got the 1/48 1A Hikaru (the first 48 released) for a christmas present. I bought my MAX and Low Viz. I bought the 6 1/60s i own and the 2 1/72's. Im pretty much set for what i want.

And before people say ebay, Ive been burned before, and dont trust it. id rather pay more from a retailer and KNOW it'll arrive.

Well, first off i DID buy the low Viz for about 360 in an import store. i knew I was getting charged through the roof, but this was WAY after their release, so i felt lucky to get one at all. Low viz, if u are in sydney and mean Astro Hobbies near Haymarket, then im the sucker who bought it ;)

Ill give u a current example. The Millia 1/48 with Fp is currently (As of 13/11/04) up for $251 at HLJ. now I seem to recall Max being more thahn that when i got him, but assuming he wasnt, Id probably get the EMS express mail, since it can be tracked, is insured and I get it in a week. Thats an extra $60 or so aussie. So we're loking at about 310 or so Aussie for that.

Its not just the conversion rate as people say. Its also import duties n stuff. people are blown away we pay $15 for Marvel Legends (About $7-$8 in the states) or 25 for delux transformers (I think at most 15, i forget). The truth is, we're a LONG way from most places and so getting stuff is pricey. Im a toy collector, and i accept this. but I have to be selective. i got the 1/48 1A Hikaru (the first 48 released) for a christmas present. I bought my MAX and Low Viz. I bought the 6 1/60s i own and the 2 1/72's. Im pretty much set for what i want.

And before people say ebay, Ive been burned before, and dont trust it. id rather pay more from a retailer and KNOW it'll arrive.

So you know, some people bought LVs for $350 US for the past few months. I wouldn't be too bummed about your LV purchase. If you wanted to eBay it, you'd at least make your money back on it.

Oh well that's life I guess. Sorry to hear that. Just out of curiosity, what did ebay do? And did you get your money back? I always thought they covered you for items under a certain amount or something? (provided secure payment methods are used) There will always be that risk, but so far I have only trusted reputable peeps with high rating and reputation and have managed so far with no probs.

As for shops I agree wholeheartedly but HLJ are pretty pricey with shipping. for eg even if all you wanted to do was buy a banpresto valk (say $4aud) you would still have to pay $20aud shipping. hah :D

The key I think is getting a good balance of security (somebody you can trust) with good price. ....still $350 aud for max 1/48, man that is way out my price range. :blink: Just out of interest was it super tv max? I saw that for about 260 aud a few months ago incl shipping. Ah, it's HG, they be stunting the success of potential macross fanbase..

That's been like that with lots of other stuff in the past like game releases and some import stuff. Also sometimes we don't get certain types of games released here based on certain genres just not being popular with the masses. Also no r rating for games so some get censroed or banned. Sad really.

There is one good thing though: dvd players are all region so we can watch imports with no probs. ie my import r1 mac+ dvd works fine.

I still think there are cheaper alternatives for us aussies with regards to buying valks. I guess his was an extreme example of needing to go to great lengths to get the items. I doubt it's normal for the average guy to pay that much. (although I have seen 1/48 LV @ $400AUD in a retailer at one time - this was before the price started rising I think. Yeah yeah, macross is a religion to some, but everyone, even fans, have limits. )

As for my own collecting valks, I pretty much had to quite "cold-turkey", due to increasing living expenses, and replacing/upgrading my computer gear and other electronics.

There are still 2 1/60 and 1 1/75 that I'd really like to add to my collection, but I fear that may take a long time before I can hunt them down. :(

Who knows, my next valk purchase may be the mythical YF-19 FP. I may even have to hold off on getting a VF-0, for a while.

Speaking for myself, I don't ever plan on giving up my interest in Macross toys. They are the coolest transforming toys ever. And, I don't think there's any better designed transforming mecha in anime. I have a bookcase full of them, and I just find myself looking at them in awe everytime. I've been collecting them for years, and they haven't lost their appeal. It irks me when people check out my collection and blow it off. They just can't appreciate the ingenuity that goes into designing and making these works of art. If I wasn't limited by space and available funds, I'd have at least 3 of each -- 1 to display in each mode and others for customs. What started with Robotech and then Macross, has become a childhood fascination that I don't intend to give up anytime soon.

I realize that reality, life, and hard times catch up on us and force us to give up the things that we like sometimes, so to those of you that have had to give up on this cool hobby because of difficult circumstances, I'm sorry for that.

And to those that have just given up to move onto other things or start families or other commitments, that's great. New hobbies or interests sometimes win out over our old ones. I hope that when I start a family, I can hold onto my stuff to share with a future son or even daughter. Right now, it's really cool being an uncle to 2 nephews who look forward to coming over to play video games or to see what cool new toys I have. As nerdy as it sounds, I think I would feel somewhat empty if I gave up my collection. I do enjoy other interests and hobbies, but collecting Japanese toys, especially Macross toys, is the best one.

While I believe that Macross will probably fade away after Macross Zero, I'll still be into Macross. I can see myself finally putting together the model kits that I have yet to build or working on custom projects, if time allows, if no new Macross toys get released. It's obvious that Macross doesn't have the staying power that Gundam does, but I do see Macross surfacing from time to time when new projects come around. Who knows? Maybe someday, they'll remake the original series or movie in glorious CG! I'm sure that interest in Macross will never truly die out. As Bandai did, the toys will probably be reissued by either them or Yamato in years to come, or some new company or companies will step up to the plate to deliver even better toys!

Yep I'm collecting all I can right now and then saving up 3 grand to put away until the next Macross release comes out. Then I'm gonna pay for eveything else for the future so I don't ahve to worry about being short on money for Macross purchases. But I have to say that the 1/48s are te finest thing so far, there's not really much room for improvement, they are true collector's items.

I also wanted to comment on the fact that alot of you are tired of seeing the same toy with a new paint scheme. While it's true that there's not much of a difference from one VF-1 to another, I don't mind picking up each one, as it saves me the hassle of trying to custom or cannibalize a couple to get the variant I want. And when you consider how kickass they look, especially with armor, it's hard not to appreciate a whole fleet of Valks in any mode. Seriously, if the VF-1 were an actual fighter plane, how many of you wouldn't be knocking down the RDF's (or UN Spacy's) doors to enlist?! :D

For those of us that had to hunt down and pay a fortune for Macross toys in the mid-90's, I look forward to each Yamato release aside from the occasional QC issues or flaws in their designs. I do wish they would bring out some Destroids, more enemy mecha, and other character figures, but I wouldn't mind seeing the other 1/48 VF-1's that we've been craving for. If you have the room, you can never have too many Valks! They are just THAT cool!

For those of you that want non-Valkyrie mecha, you should really check out Kaiyodo's Macross figures. They have a very nice Battlepod and Tomahawk figures. And as Haterist has pointed out, the Bandai Macross Mission gashapon figures are very cool, too, especially the Battlepods, Q Raus, and Glaugs.

I must say its great to be surrounded by all these toys, even if most of them are unopened. I've only got 14 opened at the moment. and they look awesome. Just shows how much they mean to me, I had never owned another Macross toy before. Valkoholic 4 life!

Edited by kensei

I still think there are cheaper alternatives for us aussies with regards to buying valks. I guess his was an extreme example of needing to go to great lengths to get the items. I doubt it's normal for the average guy to pay that much. (although I have seen 1/48 LV @ $400AUD in a retailer at one time - this was before the price started rising I think. Yeah yeah, macross is a religion to some, but everyone, even fans, have limits. )

Where did you see this? It's still worth buying if you don't want to consider the shipping fees. I live in Perth

Well I'm in brissy and this was in the chinatown area in a tiny tiny import store (dont know the name) somewhere in an arcade near lots of restaurants. Sadly I think it is gone now. Me being lazy I never bother to talk to the people to ask if they could order any more of a certain type. Now this is the place where you can get the bandai 1/55 at the $250aud price and the banprestos for $60aud lol :D

These import stores order tiny amounts of stock (consider the size of the 1/48 in relation to the tiny space they have) so I guess you should expect such a high initial price, but for me it's only as a last resort. I prefer shopping for the best deal online searching first for good reputable stores, and then if I can't be bothered, looking for people with good reps on ebay with reasonable shipping. (but never agree to use payment methods that aren't safe)

I haven't popped by that place in ages though so it's possible they might have stuff (yeah even low vis) by now, but I doubt it. (I'll lyk next time I pass by again)