VF-1S Max... pic?

The6ftTallAZN

Despite the red and blue being the "official" heat shield colours for the Hikaru and Max VF-1S's, I personally think a black heat shield would look best to stay consistent with Roy's black heat shield. I know that Graham had previously mentioned that he thinks the heat shield should be the same as the skull logo on the fast packs, but I think it should have been consistent with the constant black stripe on the chest plate of all the DYRL valks. Heat shield of VF-1A's should be the same colour as the lower stripe, but the few VF-1S's should be more distinct with all black, regardless of who is piloting.

Just my opinion...

I also think that a 1/48 Hikaru VF-1S would look more distinctive with a black heat shield. Makes it more special compared to the 1/48 Hikaru VF-1A.

Yes there is an upcoming 1/48 Hikaru 1s.... or was it already out? It has black heatshield.

Hmmmm. Link me to a pic... The only Hikaru DYRL 1S toy I have ever seen was the one made by Bandai, and that had a BLACK heatshield.

Don't forget the Bandai 1/72 HCM VF-1S Hikaru, that had a red heatshield!

And of course, even Bandai later made a correct red clip on heatshield for the 1/55 VF-1S Strike Valkyrie. See here.

Banpresto made an SD VF-1S Hikaru with red heatshield and removable Strike Armor a couple of years ago.

Graham

ok. dagnabbit!

now i want that SD VF-1S Hikaru.

I also think that a 1/48 Hikaru VF-1S would look more distinctive with a black heat shield. Makes it more special compared to the 1/48 Hikaru VF-1A.

As far as personal aesthetics go, I think a white skull and crossbones looks really ugly on a light background.

As far as the Max 1S goes, it'd look pretty good on a dark blue, but not the light blue used Max's plane.

Despite the red and blue being the "official" heat shield colours for the Hikaru and Max VF-1S's, I personally think a black heat shield would look best to stay consistent with Roy's black heat shield. I know that Graham had previously mentioned that he thinks the heat shield should be the same as the skull logo on the fast packs, but I think it should have been consistent with the constant black stripe on the chest plate of all the DYRL valks. Heat shield of VF-1A's should be the same colour as the lower stripe, but the few VF-1S's should be more distinct with all black, regardless of who is piloting.

Just my opinion...

For those of you who think the black heatshields look better on the Hikaru VF-1S, you can always try to order a black 1/48 heatshield through Monkey-N (Rob). See the thread here.

Graham

For those of you who think the black heatshields look better on the Hikaru VF-1S, you can always try to order a black 1/48 heatshield through Monkey-N (Rob). See the thread here.

Graham

Then the Monkey would get upset. Here is his only one rule:

THE RULES: There's only one.

1. I won't order parts for custom jobs. I don't want this to go away by ordering excessive parts. This is only for BROKEN VALKYRIES.

Unless you consider a red shield as BROKEN PART.... :lol::lol::lol:

Seems hard to find "official" VF-1S Max pictures, I quickly looked on google and the only decent thing I could find was this, but that's just somebody's custom.

My guess is just use Max's VF-1A scheme from DYRL and put a 1S head on it :lol:

thanks for linking this pic up:)

when i first did this custom, it was an original 1/55 takatoku VF-1S and all it has was a black shield.

i didn't care much about getting a canopy or making the shield blue at that time cos it was my first attemp and i just want to renew the entire valk.

i do have another Max-1S converted from a reissue super VF-1S and this time, i've made the shield blue.

both look good to me anyway, like wise for hikaru.

:)

Yes there is an upcoming 1/48 Hikaru 1s.... or was it already out? It has black heatshield.

Hmmmm. Link me to a pic... The only Hikaru DYRL 1S toy I have ever seen was the one made by Bandai, and that had a BLACK heatshield.

Don't forget the Bandai 1/72 HCM VF-1S Hikaru, that had a red heatshield!

And of course, even Bandai later made a correct red clip on heatshield for the 1/55 VF-1S Strike Valkyrie. See here.

Banpresto made an SD VF-1S Hikaru with red heatshield and removable Strike Armor a couple of years ago.

Graham

Everyone keeps saying that that Red clip on heatshield was made by Bandai...

Is there any evidence to support that was made by Bandai and not someone else?

Can anyone provide an image that shows Bandai's name on it anywhere?

I don't see it...but it is clearly on other Bandai merchandise that I own.

how odd...

IIRC, the VF-1S Max is clearly black in every scene. I don't think an "official" pic of the Max VF-1S with a blue heat shield exists.

See that's just the thing, while Max's 1S heatshield is undoubtedly black in any scene the official color blue. In a past heated debate about this I asked if anyone could should an official picture (outside of the movie itself) or product of Max's 1S with anything other than a blue shield and there was no answer. The challenge still stands... and as far as I care, either color is fine. Yet as Hikaru's is now officially red it seems to follow that Max's should be blue.

Of much more interest to me is the changing of Kakizaki's to a deep green... yet no one really complains about that. Odd... :rolleyes:

Edited by LePoseur

I suppose I must be REALLY blasphemous then...WAY back, before I ever saw DYRL, I picked up an Arii Hikaru VF-1S. I painted it like it was on the box...black heatshield with a red skull. When I get around the getting a Hasegawa, I'll probably do it the same way. It may be completely wrong, but it looks SO COOL!

Every shot of Max and Hikaru's VF-1S Valkyries in Macross 7 shows them with blue and red heat shields, respectively. I personally like that better than making them black. Black just never looked right on those colour schemes. Truth be told, I like the idea of Focker's 1S with a yellow heat shield better than the official black one.

• 2 years later...

I know this is really late...

I remember seeing max's 1S with a 001 squadron number when he enters the Meltran ship during the Milia dual. This pics looks like he has a 013. It would make sense that it should be 001, following the logic that the squad leader got 001, just like Hikaru did. Is this one an animation error?

ITS BLACK

Piece of evidence 1

If you notice, Max got really lucky when you see where the hits land

19609[/snapback]

Agree, there's no tactical advantage to macross paint schemes. It's all about character ID in the anime and selling merchandise... another big part is inspiration from 70s tomcat hi-vis color schemes.

Camo patterns are based on both airfield conditions and training tactics. That's why USAF fighter have similar schemes (dark grey tops to match asphalt, and low-vis gray on the bottom), while many air forces in less-developed militaries have camo pattern tops to match the environments of less-developed air fields. Navy fighters are typically just low-vis all over, since there's no advantage to blending in with the carrier's blacktop when the carrier can be seen miles away by itself. Russian Flanker camo is designed to breakup the outline of the big fighter against a blue/grey sky. Some F/A-18s even had a false canopy painted under the nose, as a deceptive combat tactice tool.

prod_206_250.jpg

harrytrumannj_fa18.jpg

I agree hi-vis colors for aces are a relic from past wars - we forget the ultimiate hi-vis ace who used color to instill fear - the Red Baron and his red triplane.

Getting back on topic, I agree it's cheesy to have a different color hi-vis stripe on each valk. However, DYRL wasn't really grounded in reality, even within the macross universe. I think Max's 1S did have a 001, after seeing some for product pics.

max12.jpg

Not that Macross is supposed to be grounded in tactical reality, but wouldn't an off color scheme of any kind make you a bigger target to the enemy?

Fockers plane at least could blend in somewhat with the brown cannon fodders, but blue just sticks right out.

Curious if this was common in WW2 or other actual conflicts, aces who marked their planes differently and noticably. Kind of doubled edged sword, you put fear in some enemy pilots but you also are tempting some young hotshot on the otherside to gun for you all the time.

This goes back to some thread I've seen before ( not here ) about why modern fighters aren't painted in a 'sky' theme. I've read mixed things, like paint schemes were more practical for camoflauge on the tarmac, i.e. this is where a plane is most vulnerable, sitting and parked, a fat target for a bomber. Curious if there is a 'more optimal' paint scheme for a fighter.

Maybe some MWers are pilots/former pilots and can chime in on color schemes for modern fighters.

335565[/snapback]

Edited by ghostryder

Agree, there's no tactical advantage to macross paint schemes. It's all about character ID in the anime and selling merchandise... another big part is inspiration from 70s tomcat hi-vis color schemes.

Camo patterns are based on both airfield conditions and training tactics. That's why USAF fighter have similar schemes (dark grey tops to match asphalt, and low-vis gray on the bottom), while many air forces in less-developed militaries have camo pattern tops to match the environments of less-developed air fields. Navy fighters are typically just low-vis all over, since there's no advantage to blending in with the carrier's blacktop when the carrier can be seen miles away by itself. Russian Flanker camo is designed to breakup the outline of the big fighter against a blue/grey sky. Some F/A-18s even had a false canopy painted under the nose, as a deceptive combat tactice tool.

Actually the Grey colors that most US fighters fly in are design to reduce thier visibility in the air not on the ground, in fact I don't know of many aircraft camoflage schemes that are designed to primarily hide the planes on the ground. Back in the day of green and brown camo schemes the theory was that if they painted a plane the same as the ground planes coming from above wouldn't be able to see them, almost every one of those schemes features a blue or light grey underside so that the aircraft would blend in with the sky when viewed from below. It has since been found that the conventional wisdom is wrong and that those types of schemes do little to make an aircraft less visable, and if anything make them easier to spot and tell which direction they're going. Grey is the second best color you can paint a plane so that it blends in well with the rest of the sky either from above or below at medium altitudes (the best color is pink pastel but for some reason macho fighter jocks don't like flying around in pink planes). As more Air Forces modernize their paint schemes they to are moving towards blue or grey paintschemes (the RAF does actually paint thier fighters pink for certain missions).