The Official Yamato VB-6 Monster Thread

Odds are this guy will sell out.

A new design like this, it'll start moving.  Took a little while for the 1/48's to start selling out.

I really really hope this sells well enough to encourage more VF-X2 valks, and the VF-4.

Befroe that though they need to finish the -19 and the VF-0.  Still.

I sure hope you're right.....and if they can release an obscure aircraft from a Playstation game.

Then they might as well release the much beloved VF-4. ;)

You people! Do not toy with my feelings so! The VF-4 is my alltime favourite Valk, I can't afford to get my hopes up again for a possible toy of it, the dissapointment of it never happening would be too much!

:D Maybe we should send a appreciation letter to the CEO of Yamato showing our appreciation of their venture into Macross toys so far. Maybe he'll also open up to Graham again. :rolleyes: Yeah right.

Anyway, I suggest we should put together a team of toy customisers to actively look into the problems Yamato left on their toys. Seems to me that the problems can be rectified with a bit of thinking, like the floppy wrist syndrome or loose airbrakes and missiles. I would love to look into the problem myself, but I don't have mine yet, I'm still paying them off.

I would really doubt a VF-4 Lightning III will be produced. I mean we havent seen the 1/60 Monster, YF-19A FP 1/72, nor the VF-0S come out yet. Why should they make the VF-4? Sure, I would like to see it since it is my fav valk.

But then again why should they have released the Koenig Monster when it´s not really the most popular mecha in the Macross universe ?

I don´t know , it would seem the majority of the people here agree the toy is actually quite cool and all , but all this complains about stupid little details that don´t even affect transformation nor the looks make it seem like sales won´t be as radically good as Yamato expects , and we know what that will lead to , No sales = no new valks ( it´s happened in the past).

I fear that possible buyers will get turned off by all this complains and Yamato will take this as a sign that interest in the franchise is going downhill (even more that it normally does with our beloved but unpopular Macross , Japan-wise) hence dropping any new ¨surprising¨ projects.

Yeah , the 1/48 GBP is a solid release , that´ll probably make for the perfect end to the 1/48 line. But , after that....what ?

If this kind of ¨unexpected¨ releases recieve such a bad welcoming then what is their motivation to do more or improve upon the flaws ?

So far I see no new macross releases in a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time. Well , knowing that Macross was only their leading step into their toy market scene and now they seem to be growing it looks like they have no interest in wasting time in old , unpopular series like Macross and now they´re expanding into new franchises.

All this due to , you´ve guessed it , lack of communication.

If they only had an open channel through wich they could talk to fans and hear their comment in a serious way we would not live in this uncertainty

I got mine yesterday from HLJ.

Generally speaking the toy I got is Ok, no problems no QC issues. Only one small peg fell while I was transforming the cannon barrels, but It is now back on place and working fine.

I really love the work Yamato made with this toy, I was amazed with the transformation and the sturdiness of the Monster.

This is a super cool toy.

All this due to , you´ve guessed it , lack of communication.

If they only had an open channel through wich they could talk to fans and hear their comment in a serious way we would not live in this uncertainty

That's why we should think up of some way to communicate to them. Macross might not survive too long into the future if this keeps up.

I have to second Sebastian's comments with my own experience. My Monster, like most of my other Yamato toys, arrived with absolutely no QC issues. The toy seems remarkably sturdy for how complex it is (I should be used to that by now, what with having 3 1/48ths)

I've transformed the thing many times since I got it with no signs of problems. I'm a bit wary of leaving it up on a high shelf in battroid mode, but I suspect these fears are unwarranted. Whenever I've had it in battroid, it's been completely stable showing no signs of falling over.

Yamato's instructions were confusing, but thanks to people here I had little trouble figuring out the transformation.

I don't even look at Yamato's sticker sheets anymore. I eagerly await a custom set from one of the many talented people that frequent the forum. I'm certain they'll find some obscure model kit for the original Monster (unless that resin Konig from way back had stickers) and use those as the basis for an excellent set.

I hope the Konig does well in sales. Despite all the complaints and concerns voiced here, my experience has been nothing short of excellent and I'm not certain everyone who has no problems speaks up so that it sometimes seems a toy will be a disaster.

Got mine yesterday.

The plastic feels about as sturdy as a 1/48. I like the shade of Green used. No real QC issues on mine. The aborted missle launchers can almost pop up on mine, so they are not real secure. That kind of bugs me as half-assed. The arms feel a little loose, but they are stable. That could have been tighter IMO.

The two tiny pegs have stress marks already on mine and I was very gentle and only transformed it from Shuttle straight to Gerwalk. This is my only legitimate gripe about this thing. No way those should not have been metal pins, especially when there are other metal connection parts on it. This is laziness IMO, and a definite design flaw. I can see many people breaking these pegs over time.

I'm concerned for the prolonged weight of Gerwalk mode and what effect that will have on those pegs in time as well.

Haven't tried Destroid mode yet. Thanks a million for the tutorial that was posted here. I had it on my lap and went though the steps to Gerwalk exactly so I had no problem. I can see some reports coming of people snapping theirs apart trying to transform it though, but again the same fear is present when transforming a 1/48 VF-1 the first couple times. The DON'T FORCE ANYTHING rule is extremely important with this thing. At least with the right transformation sequence laid out in front of you it isn't too hard to work it.

Overall I'm quite happy with it, except for the two tiny pegs. I'm not sure wether to put some stock stickers or wether I want to incur the expense once the inevitable Takatoys or Anasazi decals come out. I think it's a bit over priced (just like the 1/48 and the Q-rau IMO) but it's still a great addition and something I never though I'd see on my shelf this time last year. Anyone actually building the resin of the VB-6 must have the patience of Buddha and the skills of a Master Craftsman.

Thanks to Yamato for this, now they can get off thy're asses and release more stuff. I do hope this sells well enough for them to continue with more macross goodness outside of the VF-1 finally.

Wow!

Got my monster today. Very pleased. Hoping to be able to buy another one or two after tax time. Maybe, Yamato will make the rest of the vfx2 fleet?

Thank you, yamato toys :)

That would really kick ass.

VF-X2 has it all really , from the VF-1 to the VF-22. I keep wondering how they never continued the line up until the recently released Koenig. I can only dream of a Yamato VF-5000 -_-

Wow!

Got my monster today.  Very pleased.  Hoping to be able to buy another one or two after tax time.  Maybe, Yamato will make the rest of the vfx2 fleet?

Thank you, yamato toys  :)

That would really kick ass.

VF-X2 has it all really , from the VF-1 to the VF-22. I keep wondering how they never continued the line up until the recently released Koenig. I can only dream of a Yamato VF-5000 -_-

But the 5000 is in Macross Plus, not VF-X2. Though I think it was due to be in the US release of VF-X2. Well, so much for that.

But the 5000 is in Macross Plus, not VF-X2.  Though I think it was due to be in the US release of VF-X2.  Well, so much for that.

The VF-5000 does not appear in the Macross Plus OVA or movie, although a VF-5000B did feature in the Playstation game 'Macross Plus Game Edition' (released 2000) as a player selectable mecha.

The only anime appearance by the VF-5000 was the Zolan Galactic Whale Patrol's VF-5000G (single-seater) & VF-5000T-G (2-seater) in the 1997-8 Macross Dynamite 7 OVA.

Oher console games that the VF-5000 has featured in are: -

• The VF-5000B was in the 2001 Dreamcast came 'Macross M3' as a player selectable mecha.
  • The VF-5000B was also in the super rare 'VF-X2 Special Edition' (year 2000), of which only 1,000 copies were released and available only as a mail-in campaign prize (I have 1 original copy :D ).
  • As Renato mentioned, the VF-5000B was to have replaced the VF-1 in the US version of VF-X2, had that game been released.

To date there have been no toys of the VF-5000 and the only model kits I'm aware of are: -

• The VF-5000B, was really first made famous IMO by Studio Half Eye's 1998 1/100 scale Perfect Variable garage kit.
  • Yellow Submarine also released a 1/144 scale resin Fighter mode VF-5000G garage kit sometime around 1998.
  • Yellow Submarine also planned a 1/144 scale resin Battroid mode VF-5000G garage kit, but I'm not sure if it was ever released.

The very first time any lineart (fighter mode only) of the VF-5000 was published AFAIK was in the 1995 'Variable Fighters Aero Report' section of the 'TIAS Macross Plus book'.

Okay, do I win any prize for knowing all this useless junk? :lol:

Graham

Unfortunately VF-X2 did not have the VF-4, did it?

That's about the only thing missing in VF-X2: The VF-4 and the VF-5000.

We've probably covered this before, but Flashback would be covered in the TV/DYRL liscense right? A model of the prototype was alsop in Hikaru's room in DYRL, so a VF-4 should be possible in theory.

VF-X2 had (I'm going from my flighline wallscroll): VF-1, VF-11, VF-17, VF-19, VF-22, VA-3, VB-6. The VF-5000 info is news to me (and very cool info), so as long as it appeared in a version of VF-X2, it should be fine too.

Gotta be careful or I'll start pipe-dreaming again.

Edit: M3 also had the VF-9 and VF-14.

Yamato never got an M3 liscence, right?

Edited by Anubis

The VF-4 origionally appeared in Flashback 2012. However, I'm fairly certain it was a selectable fighter in VF-X2.

I know for fact it did appear in VF-X and M3, as well as the PS2 Macross game.

Edited by Radd

I got my VB-6 a while ago and have had no problems what so ever, although I have not tried Destroid mode yet, I have done shuttle mode and Gerwalk mode. I am amazed at the toy and just how huge the thing is....also did anyone notice that the 30mm gun is on the toy? It is only a little black piece molded to look like a gun barrel, but I think it is there.

I hope that Yamato does continue with their Macross Collection, I am eagerly awaiting the MAcross Zero line and any future VF-X2 toys that they might produce. I am going to keep an optimistic vibe going for this, and hopefully I will be rewarded for my patience.

twich

I got my VB-6 a while ago and have had no problems what so ever, although I have not tried Destroid mode yet, I have done shuttle mode and Gerwalk mode. I am amazed at the toy and just how huge the thing is....also did anyone notice that the 30mm gun is on the toy? It is only a little black piece molded to look like a gun barrel, but I think it is there.

I hope that Yamato does continue with their Macross Collection, I am eagerly awaiting the MAcross Zero line and any future VF-X2 toys that they might produce. I am going to keep an optimistic vibe going for this, and hopefully I will be rewarded for my patience.

twich

Destroid = Gerwalk on the monster

I think you meant battroid. :)

But the 5000 is in Macross Plus, not VF-X2.  Though I think it was due to be in the US release of VF-X2.  Well, so much for that.

The VF-5000 does not appear in the Macross Plus OVA or movie, although a VF-5000B did feature in the Playstation game 'Macross Plus Game Edition' (released 2000) as a player selectable mecha.

The only anime appearance by the VF-5000 was the Zolan Galactic Whale Patrol's VF-5000G (single-seater) & VF-5000T-G (2-seater) in the 1997-8 Macross Dynamite 7 OVA.

• The VF-5000B was in the 2001 Dreamcast came 'Macross M3' as a player selectable mecha.
  • The VF-5000B was also in the super rare 'VF-X2 Special Edition' (year 2000), of which only 1,000 copies were released and available only as a mail-in campaign prize (I have 1 original copy :D ).
  • As Renato mentioned, the VF-5000B was to have replaced the VF-1 in the US version of VF-X2, had that game been released.

To date there have been no toys of the VF-5000 and the only model kits I'm aware of are: -

• The VF-5000B, was really first made famous IMO by Studio Half Eye's 1998 1/100 scale Perfect Variable garage kit.
  • Yellow Submarine also released a 1/144 scale resin Fighter mode VF-5000G garage kit sometime around 1998.
  • Yellow Submarine also planned a 1/144 scale resin Battroid mode VF-5000G garage kit, but I'm not sure if it was ever released.

The very first time any lineart (fighter mode only) of the VF-5000 was published AFAIK was in the 1995 'Variable Fighters Aero Report' section of the 'TIAS Macross Plus book'.

Okay, do I win any prize for knowing all this useless junk? :lol:

Graham

Hahah... its signs of a true Macross fan. :lol:;)

Actually it is Destroid Mode, Gerwalk Mode, Shuttle Mode.

I noticed the black gun as well. Tiny, but at least it's there.

Edited by Anubis

Hehe, not to be negative, but what makes you guys think yamato would even listen to us? Do you think they care for are ongoing rants, and wants for toys? Criticism for their toys and praise and all that does not matter. If they don't even listen to graham what makes you all think they will listen to us? Hasbro got many many complaints from older collectors about transformers energon and yet do you think galaxy force was made to please those who complained? NO! Made to cater to the 12 yr old + crowd and keep the market stable in fierce competition with video games. Point is, yamato caters to the JAPANESE MARKET. Are we it? Heck no we are not. BEfore, there was a time when we could voice our concerns to graham and that one dude from valkyrie scramble, but that dude ended up becoming a father, in between that time, yamato snubbed graham, and after all this, graham became a father himself. :p

Seriously all we can really do is praise the toys and b*tch amongst ourselves, I highly doubt our numerous complaints on the 1/100 POS VF-0 canned it, if anything it was the extremely negative reaction by the japanese market. Remember we get everything here 2nd hand through the etailer who buy in bulk from supppliers who buy it themselves in japan. I find it funny that some of you think our constant rants drove yamato away from macross, and it's not even that. In japan macross is not exactly a goldmine, and hell this surprised me as well, but gundam seed destiny is actually popular there. Am I surprised? No. The long ride was fun but riddled with crappy quality every now and then with a decent number of gems in the lines. Yamato created the ultimate modern representation of the VF-1, and they can do it again with the VF-0. The only question is IF they will, and WHEN. And how do they figure this stuff out? Through PROFITS in the japanese market.

If macross became merchandising brand with more series, and OVA's a movie every now and then, then yamato would milk it for all its worth. But wait OH YEA. We only got OVA's last time I checked and that was end of 2004. So give it time. Ultimately I don't think yamato would drop the macross license, but not necesarily milk it either. They've done their job. And they did well.

So the world goes on and we at macrossworld discuss our toys. But please don't think our reactions really matter to yamato, since truthfully they don't. They will do what it takes to get money and all their money comes from the japanese market.

Kind of OT sorry, and no offense to anyon either.

Guys I got a question. Is the monster mor durable than the 1/48?

* The VF-5000B was in the 2001 Dreamcast came 'Macross M3' as a player selectable mecha.

* The VF-5000B was also in the super rare 'VF-X2 Special Edition' (year 2000), of which only 1,000 copies were released and available only as a mail-in campaign prize (I have 1 original copy biggrin.gif ).

* As Renato mentioned, the VF-5000B was to have replaced the VF-1 in the US version of VF-X2, had that game been released.

* The VF-5000B, was really first made famous IMO by Studio Half Eye's 1998 1/100 scale Perfect Variable garage kit.

* Yellow Submarine also released a 1/144 scale resin Fighter mode VF-5000G garage kit sometime around 1998.

* Yellow Submarine also planned a 1/144 scale resin Battroid mode VF-5000G garage kit, but I'm not sure if it was ever released.

Okay, do I win any prize for knowing all this useless junk?

yeah , I kinda feel ashamed to say this but I also knew all that :lol: , I wonder if people actually browse the Main site anymore , or if they even know we´ve got a whole site outside the boards :rolleyes:

Still , the VF-5000 is still parto of the Vf-X2 license independant of which of the two games ot was featured in so there´s still a chance if the Koenig does good ( :unsure: )

Hehe, not to be negative, but what makes you guys think yamato would even listen to us? Do you think they care for are ongoing rants, and wants for toys? Criticism for their toys and praise and all that does not matter. If they don't even listen to graham what makes you all think they will listen to us? Hasbro got many many complaints from older collectors about transformers energon and yet do you think galaxy force was made to please those who complained? NO! Made to cater to the 12 yr old + crowd and keep the market stable in fierce competition with video games. Point is, yamato caters to the JAPANESE MARKET. Are we it? Heck no we are not. BEfore, there was a time when we could voice our concerns to graham and that one dude from valkyrie scramble, but that dude ended up becoming a father, in between that time, yamato snubbed graham, and after all this, graham became a father himself. tongue.gif

Seriously all we can really do is praise the toys and b*tch amongst ourselves, I highly doubt our numerous complaints on the 1/100 POS VF-0 canned it, if anything it was the extremely negative reaction by the japanese market. Remember we get everything here 2nd hand through the etailer who buy in bulk from supppliers who buy it themselves in japan. I find it funny that some of you think our constant rants drove yamato away from macross, and it's not even that. In japan macross is not exactly a goldmine, and hell this surprised me as well, but gundam seed destiny is actually popular there. Am I surprised? No. The long ride was fun but riddled with crappy quality every now and then with a decent number of gems in the lines. Yamato created the ultimate modern representation of the VF-1, and they can do it again with the VF-0. The only question is IF they will, and WHEN. And how do they figure this stuff out? Through PROFITS in the japanese market.

If macross became merchandising brand with more series, and OVA's a movie every now and then, then yamato would milk it for all its worth. But wait OH YEA. We only got OVA's last time I checked and that was end of 2004. So give it time. Ultimately I don't think yamato would drop the macross license, but not necesarily milk it either. They've done their job. And they did well.

So the world goes on and we at macrossworld discuss our toys. But please don't think our reactions really matter to yamato, since truthfully they don't. They will do what it takes to get money and all their money comes from the japanese market.

Kind of OT sorry, and no offense to anyon either.

Yeah all that´s true , but without these debates MW would turn into a very lonely place anyway.

I fear Yamato may turn into a Bandai-type of complany where they´ll keep their license through the years but will do absolutely nothing with it.

this would be a tue fact nowadays If it weren´t for the Koenig.

Actually from what I read, it's YAMATO's fault for bandai not doing anything. :lol:

LOL but it is true. The japanese market LOVED the yamato's due to aesthetics and whatnot, I mean look at it, it is comparable to a model in aesthetics but you can PLAY with it!(even the 1/60 who in comparison to solid diecast 1/72 aircraft models, is tons more durable!!!). So with yamato macross being bought up by the fans in comparison to the bandai reissues gathering dust, bandai decided to not do anything.

Really it's bandai's fault as well. They WAITED too long. I know if we got VF-1 reissues by either 1999 or 2000, that bandai would have had all of us creaming our pants minmei style and lbasking in the glorious cream of bandai reissues. But no we waited 2 years and by then yamato had something called the 1/60 VF-1, the first step in valkyrie evolution from a unsuspecting small company, the evolution continuing a year later with the 1/48. So in a sense bandai's line got killed twice over. Toynami was not much competition IMHO as people either loved the bandai or yamato but hated the toynami(general consensus).

Actually from what I read, it's YAMATO's fault for bandai not doing anything.  :lol:

LOL but it is true.  The japanese market LOVED the yamato's due to aesthetics and whatnot, I mean look at it, it is comparable to a model in aesthetics but you can PLAY with it!(even the 1/60 who in comparison to solid diecast 1/72 aircraft models, is tons more durable!!!).  So with yamato macross being bought up by the fans in comparison to the bandai reissues gathering dust, bandai decided to not do anything.

Really it's bandai's fault as well.  They WAITED too long. I know if we got VF-1 reissues by either 1999 or 2000, that bandai would have had all of us creaming our pants minmei style and lbasking in the glorious cream of bandai reissues.  But no we waited 2 years and by then yamato had something called the 1/60 VF-1, the first step in valkyrie evolution from a unsuspecting small company, the evolution continuing a year later with the 1/48.  So in a sense bandai's line got killed twice over.  Toynami was not much competition IMHO as people either loved the bandai or yamato but hated the toynami(general consensus).

yeah , I think the majority of the members here know the story , myself included.

Funny thing is...Bandai still has the license to Macross and does not do a shiet with it. They have it there gathering dust while they could do some impressive Macross toys in a blink , but no ... they´ve got Gundam inserted way too deep inside their asses to notice Macross still sells, not as gundam but does. If only we could get Macross fix figuration toys , even if its not much I would be happy with it. SOC figures or PG kits is just dreaming IMO so I won´t even waste my time.

All this brings me to my point in my last post.

look at Yamato. Compare their current condition to two years back , they kept releasing macross toys almost every month...now what ? we´ve come down to the sad and very humiliating point where we´ve got to pray to see some kind of toy , even to the point of automatically assuming and not caring any more if they´ll come with a variety of WC issues. :(

They´re repeating Bandai´s history , keeping the license while not doing much with it.

That´s why it´s important the Koenig does good , not only it represents a hope to get new obscure valks but actually any valk all together.

It´s like when someone feels as being used after sex , they milked all the money out of Macross with the VF-1 now they have no interest in it now that they´ve got what they wanted ; money and recognition as a capable company.

Why should they invest in Macross anymore ? they can sustain themselves now . They´ve got fresh & popular licenses that make a load more money than Macross , we know Macross Zero didn´t become a popular series in Japan ( no OVA serie does , with some exceptions ) so why would it look attractive investment-wise to them ?

the only thing we (actually the etaileres and japanese consumers, we pretty much are out of their consideration) can do is demonstrate Macross is worth the invesment and they should expand the line. how ? simply , just buy from them.

Curiously though , we HAVE BOUGHT every and all toys from them (Godzilla and Sithlord alone have sustained Yamato for the last 2 years IMO :p ) so why have we come to this point anyway ? no idea. <_<

Edited by Aegis!

How the heck did the VB-6 thread became the "Guess when / why Yamato will give up on Macross" thread?

Yamato is a business. As with any business, there are both creative and logistical reasons why things are made and why some may be dropped.

I'm sure Yamato must have shown all of the early prototypes to Big West and Kawamorie. If there were any disapproval, everything goes back to be re-designed. Once a toy is finalized, it is shopped to gauge sellable interest to store chains, buyers, etailers and whoever else legally can buy it (EG no one outside of Japan's market).

If a designer or some guy who called the shots didn't like any of the designs, or if someone hated the line or if there were not enough interests to warrant tooling, the project would be pushed onto the back burner. I doubt most projects are killed outright as potentials such as Macross would be brought back up for review, redesign and reshopped.

That’s the nature of the business.

If I was working for Yamato TODAY, as much as it hurts me to say it, I would probably have made some of those decisions to delay some Macross projects and refocus the company resources elsewhere so we can make money. When the time comes where someone influential person backs Macross, those projects can be jump started again, despite the potential for small sales.

I think it would best serve the fans if Yamato gave up on the license and let a new start up company with creativity; vigor and wide eye innocence take the reign and churn out all the fan boy items. The small sales and small market may be a better fit for them, unless Macross grows bigger and can be sold outside of Japan directly.

On that note, I give HG the finger for keeping Macross down.

Lets try to get this topic back on track!!!...

SooOOoooOOooo...

Guuuuys...

Have you seen the new Yamato Monster toy? Its like... cool and stuff... yeeaaah... okay, so I suck at this. Sue me. <_<

So... anyways, I'm loving the pictures you guys are posting up. Anyone planning to do any custom jobs with their monsters yet? Color schemes... etc? ;)

I'm going to do a low viz custom with battle wear(earth on the feet,barrel flash residue,chiping ect)I figured why not? I haven't disassembled one yet so it might be easier said than done.

;) now a question about the monster: is it possible that we might see "repaints" from yamato?

ummmm, does anybody know if this is selling well? are there color variants for this monster in the game? what happened to the 1/60(coffee table)monster? oh does anybody have that image?

man it's late!! need more coffee, or maybe not? owell........................ :unsure:

Gimmie a  Hello Kittie themed VB-6 and I 'll erect a shrine for you in my basement.

:p

Hehhehehhhh

You said Erect...

Yeah,

I also said the word caca once in another post. Sorry you missed this highlight of my comedy career. :rolleyes:

MATE ! you said caca ! :ph34r:

That´s hilarious :lol:

Gimmie a  Hello Kittie themed VB-6 and I 'll erect a shrine for you in my basement.

:p

Hehhehehhhh

You said Erect...

Yeah,

I also said the word caca once in another post. Sorry you missed this highlight of my comedy career. :rolleyes:

MATE ! you said caca ! :ph34r:

That´s hilarious :lol:

But wait, I can also say boob and butt but I think we should stop and go back to the topic... and one last time for our friend Doctor Paragon... Erect

:rolleyes: