US deploys sattellite jammers

Anubis

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- The U.S. Air Force quietly has put into service a new weapon designed to jam enemy satellite communications, a significant step toward U.S. control of space.

The so-called Counter Communications System was declared operational late last month at Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado Springs, Colorado, the Air Force Space Command said Friday in e-mailed replies to questions from Reuters.

The ground-based jammer uses electromagnetic radio frequency energy to knock out transmissions on a temporary and reversible basis, without frying components, the command said.

"A reversible effect ensures that during the time of need, the adversary's space-based capability to threaten our forces is diminished," said Capt. Angie Blair, a spokeswoman. "Following the time of need, the space-based capabilities used by the adversary can return to its original state."

The device appears to have been put into service considerably earlier than had been projected by the Air Force as recently as February.

At that time, a long-range planning document, dubbed the Transformation Flight Plan, said such a system would let the United States by 2010 "deny and disrupt an adversary's space-based communications and early warning" of attack.

U.S. military control of space is one of four missions spelled out under a national space policy adopted by former president Bill Clinton in 1996. The goal is to make sure U.S. forces have unhindered access to space and space-based services and to deny an enemy any similar benefits.

The U.S. military has experimented with a range of "anti satellite" (ASAT) weapons, including lasers, to knock out enemy craft by destroying them or damaging their sensors.

Theresa Hitchens, vice president of the private Center for Defense Information in Washington, welcomed the new system on the ground it would not create debris that could threaten global use of space and would not destroy satellites, only jam them temporarily.

"Unfortunately, it seems we are not going to limit our quest for 'space control' to benign systems," she said, citing the danger of a space arms race.

The deployment was disclosed without fanfare late last month at a technical conference of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics in San Diego, California.

The system is operated by the 76th Space Control Squadron, a unit created in 2001 to explore technologies for controlling space, Brig. Gen. Larry James, vice commander of the Space and Missile Systems Command told the conference.

The Air Force Space Command, in its e-mailed replies, said the system was built from off-the-shelf commercial equipment, and made up an antenna, transmitters and receivers that can be loaded into a trailer and moved from place to place.

Three such systems had been delivered since late last year, the command said. The program's budget for fiscal 2005 totaled $6.2 million, according to the Congressional Research Service.

The primary integrator was Northrop Grumman Corp.'s Mission Systems business unit in Redondo Beach, California, said Joe Davidson, a Space and Missile Center spokesman.

Citing "operational security" concerns, military officials declined to discuss how the jammer worked but equated it with traditional Air Force electronic warfare weapons that have been used since World War II to deceive, disrupt, deny, degrade or destroy targets.

They're coming up with some crazy stuff lately.

i would be so mad if someone jammed my sattellite tv. :ph34r:

Even if it were for National security reasons?

Nothing is worth the loss of a man's satellite TV.

Not even lives huh.

1st thing they need is to look into the mirror before they come up with these stupid tech things. Damn censorship damn overrule. Space belongs to nobody.

Spoken like a true NON-US citizen.

Man there are going to be some people pissed off about this one, interesting to see that the USAF found a loophole that allows for anti-sattellite weapons. There are treaties that prevent the deployment of anti-sattellite weapons that destroy the sattellite, but jamming that was never covered in any of the accords. I for one as an american am not big on the deployment of anti-sat weapons, or any space based weapon system for that matter because it sets a dangerous precedent, especially when the US is the only one doing it. Space should be used for peace not war, and the US deploying this kind of system will just provoke other nations.

While I think A1 is going a little too patriotic here*, I do like how they point out that they can shut-down an adversary's satellites without damaging components. It's kind of like saying: "Haha, I've shut off your car. Here, it's turned on again. Wait, no... I've shut it down again. Haha."

The main problem I have is that our defense policy is terribly screwed up. ASat devices and (for the love of Shoji) SDI are not what we need to be looking into these days. They were perfect for the Cold War when Soviet technology was a threat, but nowadays the countries we really have to worry about along those lines are India and China, and they have a long ways to go to be even close to what we've accomplished space-wise.

Anyhow, mankind will blow themselves up way before we get to the point of battles in space.

*I'm sure he gets this way around election time... politics stoke his fire! :D

What difference does it make that the US did this? Eventually someone would have accomplished this given time. Those against it just come off bitter that the US is once again pointed out as being "on top". This is just the evolution of technology, do you think UN Spacy wouldn't have such capabilities. Seems wierd to be a fan of an anime dedicated to space warfare with advanced technology and then be upset that space technology has advanced.

LOL! Man, last Friday the satellite went out for a while...and with this coming to light....one has to be suspicsious... :lol: And space doesn't belong to nobody? Last time I checked the US was in command of space, we already conquered the moon! Mar's is next. We will take it from the Martians and call it Manifest Destiny! :lol:

While I think A1 is going a little too patriotic here*...

*I'm sure he gets this way around election time... politics stoke his fire! :D

You have no idea man. I hate this time of year. Esp. when the prez is up for grabs.

LOL! Man, last Friday the satellite went out for a while...and with this coming to light....one has to be suspicsious... :lol: And space doesn't belong to nobody? Last time I checked the US was in command of space, we already conquered the moon! Mar's is next. We will take it from the Martians and call it Manifest Destiny! :lol:

Alas, we aren't considered owners.

We signed some stupid UN treaty to suck the life out of the space race that said no one could claim any part of space.

THAT is why we have no moon bases, no space colonies up, no whatever. Once we ceded our right to claim everything out there, we ceased caring aside from "Haha, we did it before the filthy commies."

I still say we could use a couple of SOL cannons up there.

I once again vote in favor of the super science thread. Pinned.

Edited by Anubis

Along the lines of "Jammers" . . .

Imagine whats next . . . maybe space based version of one of these?

That's awesome. Triangulate the walkie talkie traffic, track movement, and jam? Awesome.

Yup, it's the old 'Not Fair! Not Fair!! Not Fair!!!' complaint. America has to share this technology with North Korea, China and Iran (and France :ph34r: ) otherwise, it's...ummm....unfair. :lol:

What's funny is this and the missle defense program happen to be non-lethal systems (can't even call 'em weapons), but critics call these things provacative. And it's not like Iran, North Korea and China (or France :ph34r: ) ever do anything provacative.

I once again vote in favor of the super science thread. Pinned.

Really? I have always been in favor of a pinned thread dedicated to my muscles.

Yup, it's the old 'Not Fair! Not Fair!! Not Fair!!!' complaint. America has to share this technology with North Korea, China and Iran (and France :ph34r: ) otherwise, it's...ummm....unfair. :lol:

What's funny is this and the missle defense program happen to be non-lethal systems (can't even call 'em weapons), but critics call these things provacative. And it's not like Iran, North Korea and China (or France :ph34r: ) ever do anything provacative.

No kidding man.

I once again vote in favor of the super science thread.  Pinned.

Complete with linked photo gallery?

Space belongs to nobody.

space belongs to the ship with the better gun :D

Aint that the truth! :lol:

Besides, I dont have Satellite TV. I have cable. :D

Isn't cable wired up to huge-as satellite TV stations? Even if you get cable TV the signal is still beaming down from space.

I once again vote in favor of the super science thread.  Pinned.

Complete with linked photo gallery?

Hells yeah!

What a lot of you seem to be unaware of is that arms control agreements aren't based on humanitarian concerns for our potential enemies--they're to protect us, whether it be from "inhumane" methods of killing (poison gas), weapons which threaten our security (nuclear materials), or wasteful and risky arms races that ultimately have little effect on the balance of power.

Having said that, though, I don't see what all the fuss is about this development. Someone at CDI said essentially the same thing, someone else made a joke about satellite TV, and now we get a lot of chest-thumping about a "Not Fair Complaint". Where did that come from? Since when is it unpatriotric for the press to report about military programs (as long as they're not giving away secrets)?

WTH!!

Big brother exists. Echelon exists, and sucks big-fat buckets of money, allows certain companies to aquire billionaire contracts by using privileged information, stolen from allied countries...

And... who cares? Do you think people (general people, I mean) will remember about this in a couple of months, when some female pop star show a (OMG!!) boob? Or if a couple of famous girls have a delicious kiss?

Politicians know the art of ahead-get-away, and know it VERY well. Keep in mind that this comes from 2000 years ago, from Roma. Give 'circus' and 'bread' to the people, and they will stop complaining about your decisions, health care, wars, investment on public resources...

2000 years, and the story hasn't taught us a single thing. <_<

By the way, interesting tech. Just as interesting as nuclear tech. :ph34r:

Manu

Frankly, I don't care of what other nations think about it. The US also uses sats to a good degree, and one would be stupid, naive, or both, to believe that no one else out there isn't trying to develop a way to nullify the US's use of them or other technological advantages.

It's also not a simple thing of "We did it before the Commies did" either. It's a case of we're doing this before any potential enemies of the United States did, and we'll keep building and developing on these and other advantages.

And not provoke other nations? What about nutjobs like the "Dear Leader" over in North Korea? There's numerous nutjobs out there that would love nothing better than being No.1.

Edited by Warmaker

Well.. it's sad to tell but the US army doesn't tell their plans to everyone... they even lie to their own people and make us believe the sattelite jammer stands for peace. If afrika needs military suppport... then they are nowhere to be seen. Let the UN clean up the mess. :rolleyes: