PSP Official Discussion thread.

bandit29

pretty cool...i personally haven't played darkstalkers since 96 :blink: but from the screen shots it looks pretty nice and the puzzle games you've mentioned look pretty cool so i'll have to check 'em out more if i do decide to get a psp...i just know i'm not getting the launch version of it after hearing the horror stories of people getting the launch ps and ps2 :ph34r: i honestly didn't know there was a difference between the two memory sticks...the duo looks like a slightly longer sd card to me...either way...it looks like i'll be getting a psp in the future...hopefully sony does make something like a umd burner so i'd be able to play my mp3s, movies, and maybe even emulated games off of that instead of the card. either way, i think i'd be nice to have on those long trips with the folks or the plane trips

btw...even if it didn't have a battery life problem, i'd still buy an extra battery anyways...because that's just the way i am :p

I dunno if I'll buy a PSP right away. Interested in some of the games. Don't care about watching movies. I have a portable DVD player.

And if anyone here can play imports, Capcom is releasing a Darkstalkers/Vampire collection for the PS2 in May for around 5000 yen. Its all of the arcade games. Might have a chance of coming to the US. Probably alot cheaper too.

be cool if you can use it. i have a hard time dialing to my cell phone with my muscle bound fingers.  if you get a message on your psp thats "hyweliliop bhiusdsdhy" its proly me.

Actually, IM software for the PSP (real IM software, not the DS's Pictochat crap) wouldn't be so farfetched. The PSP's wireless functions are built on 802.11b... in theory, it should be able to communicate wirelessly (for games, but why not for messaging?) over the net with other PSPs, provided that you're in a wireless hotspot, or you have a wireless router at home.

Don't forget that the DS has both Wi-Fi (802.11b) and blue tooth. The picocat is really nice especially when it comes with it. The DS has the advantage over the PSP with IM because of the touch screen. Typing on those tiny keyboard really blows ( I have problems typing on Laptop keyboards let alone a tiny one :blink: )

Nintendo is using their Wi-fi at stores now

"Nintendo has started the Nintendo DS download service in Japan on February 26, at major game retailers across Japan. Users can bring in their Nintendo DS to download new content. Available downloads are playable demos of Chokkan Hitofude and Meteos; plus 6 bonus songs for Daigassou! Band Bros"

be cool if you can use it. i have a hard time dialing to my cell phone with my muscle bound fingers.  if you get a message on your psp thats "hyweliliop bhiusdsdhy" its proly me.

Actually, IM software for the PSP (real IM software, not the DS's Pictochat crap) wouldn't be so farfetched. The PSP's wireless functions are built on 802.11b... in theory, it should be able to communicate wirelessly (for games, but why not for messaging?) over the net with other PSPs, provided that you're in a wireless hotspot, or you have a wireless router at home.

Don't forget that the DS has both Wi-Fi (802.11b) and blue tooth. The picocat is really nice especially when it comes with it. The DS has the advantage over the PSP with IM because of the touch screen. Typing on those tiny keyboard really blows ( I have problems typing on Laptop keyboards let alone a tiny one :blink: )

Nintendo is using their Wi-fi at stores now

"Nintendo has started the Nintendo DS download service in Japan on February 26, at major game retailers across Japan. Users can bring in their Nintendo DS to download new content. Available downloads are playable demos of Chokkan Hitofude and Meteos; plus 6 bonus songs for Daigassou! Band Bros"

Which would be fine, except Nintendo hasn't set up the DS to communicate with another DS via a network (believe me, if it could, me and my bro in DC would be using it) for Pictochat, only with other DS's within 50 or so feet. Fine for friends riding the Shinkansen in Japan, useless outside of major metro areas in the US.

Not to mention the fact that four months after launch, and the DS's strongest title is Warioware.

For me, if I'm going to buy a handheld system, games have to be top priority, since gaming is pretty much my thing. The only reasons I'm not selling my DS is Castlevania, Pokemon, and Final Fantasy III. Meanwhile, I'm picking up six launch games (maybe 7, if Ape Escape turns out pretty good... I never played the original, so it's new to me, but I loved Ape Escape 2) for the PSP.

Having already established that the PSP looks like a solid gaming device, I'm curious to see what else it can do.

Oh, and BTW, I think the Sony Rep that visits our store said that, like the newer PS2s, the PSP will have a full year warranty, instead of just 90 days, if that helps allieviate QC conncerns. I'll let you guys know for sure later, though.

Oh it is absolutely possible for Sony to produce and sell recordable UMD disks and recorders, but they are doing the same thing they did with Mini-discs. They have created a fantastic proprietary format and instead of selling the thing and getting the format out on the market they are trying to be stingey and keep the market cornered. Just like Mini-discs if they screw around for five years before they put recorders on the market and sell the rights to third party manufacturers to make players and recorders the format will be DoA.

As it stands, there is no way in hell I am going to re-buy my movie collections on UMD, I have a portable DVD player with a screen two times the size of the PSP as it is, but, if they sold a UMD recorder so i could -Back up my DVD's and CD's on UMD then i would buy a recorder and a ton of discs just for the handiness of only having to carry one portable device for movies music and games.....

Anyhow, I doubt it will happen, it would make too much sense :p

Its not if they can its if they want. theres lots of technology that isnt made for the public. For sony is it worth to lose some companies from making psp games if they release a burner and blanks, is it worth it being they could be fined by riaa/miaa/diarrhea or what ever group they are.

Oh it is absolutely possible for Sony to produce and sell recordable UMD disks and recorders, but they are doing the same thing they did with Mini-discs.  They have created a fantastic proprietary format and instead of selling the thing and getting the format out on the market they are trying to be stingey and keep the market cornered.  Just like Mini-discs if they screw around for five years before they put recorders on the market and sell the rights to third party manufacturers to make players and recorders the format will be DoA.

As it stands, there is no way in hell I am going to re-buy my movie collections on UMD, I have a portable DVD player with a screen two times the size of the PSP as it is, but, if they sold a UMD recorder so i could -Back up my DVD's and CD's on UMD then i would buy a recorder and a ton of discs just for the handiness of only having to carry one portable device for movies music and games.....

Anyhow, I doubt it will happen, it would make too much sense :p

Its not if they can its if they want. theres lots of technology that isnt made for the public. For sony is it worth to lose some companies from making psp games if they release a burner and blanks, is it worth it being they could be fined by riaa/miaa/diarrhea or what ever group they are.

And speaking of Sony, they're going through some major changes. Anything is possible from them at this point.

Yeah but releasing a burner doesn't violate the secure digital meduim act, since most recorders and players have built in coders that scramble signal (Try recording a DVD onto a video tape :p) but people have to find their own way around it. I am saying if they released a UMD recording unit though that it would make the medium very attractive, and it might convinve people to buy a PSP and get in to the UMD format, all it takes is a small revolution to start major sales.

The thing is, they have historically had access to major technological advances but they have shot themsleves in the nuts time after time (Betamax, Minidisc to name a few) by tyrying to horde the technology and be the universal owner and sole provider, when the market knows that this is a pitfall that it can not afford.

Think about it, if sony sold a UMD recorder and you could rip your CD's onto a UMD and carry it around like an MP3player, (Without having to pay for 2 or 3 Duo cards) wouldn't that make the PSP a more handy and cool device? Imagine if you could rip a few of your favoraite movies on to UMD and have your whole CD collection, five or ten of your favoraite movies along with five or six good video games and a universal player all in a walkman sized sack? Cripes, that is a revolution in modern micro media, but the stingey, greedy screw balls, won't let that happen until some other company usurps their technology, but by then, too little too late as always.

Its not if they can its if they want. theres lots of technology that isnt made for the public.  For sony is it worth to lose some companies from making psp games if they release a burner and blanks, is it worth it being they could be fined by riaa/miaa/diarrhea or what ever group they are.

Yeah but releasing a burner doesn't violate the secure digital meduim act, since most recorders and players have built in coders that scramble signal (Try recording a DVD onto a video tape :p) but people have to find their own way around it. I am saying if they released a UMD recording unit though that it would make the medium very attractive, and it might convinve people to buy a PSP and get in to the UMD format, all it takes is a small revolution to start major sales.

The thing is, they have historically had access to major technological advances but they have shot themsleves in the nuts time after time (Betamax, Minidisc to name a few) by tyrying to horde the technology and be the universal owner and sole provider, when the market knows that this is a pitfall that it can not afford.

Think about it, if sony sold a UMD recorder and you could rip your CD's onto a UMD and carry it around like an MP3player, (Without having to pay for 2 or 3 Duo cards) wouldn't that make the PSP a more handy and cool device? Imagine if you could rip a few of your favoraite movies on to UMD and have your whole CD collection, five or ten of your favoraite movies along with five or six good video games and a universal player all in a walkman sized sack? Cripes, that is a revolution in modern micro media, but the stingey, greedy screw balls, won't let that happen until some other company usurps their technology, but by then, too little too late as always.

I heard others bypass that by turning off the auto tracking in the vcr but I do things the other way, I keep my video on a spare harddrive. It may not violate the secure digital meduim act now but maybe in the furture it will (depends on how much money they spend to add laws like that) with music i rather have it on a memory stick than disc since where i live there isnt an anti-skip device that works well enough to listen to 1 song uninterrupted. Also remember burners are usualy 1 layer untill sometime this year we get dl burners so you will be limited to 900mb so you don't have alot to put much on it depending what codec is in it and if possible to use a codec on the mem stick by means of a crack.

With music i rather have it on a memory stick than disc since where i live there isnt an anti-skip device that works well enough to listen to 1 song uninterrupted. Also remember burners are usualy 1 layer untill sometime this year we get dl burners so you will be limited to 900mb so you don't have alot to put much on it depending what codec is in it and if possible to use a codec on the mem stick by means of a crack.

Well, I am simply thinking of economy up front, in a year or two, the price of memory sticks may be so low that it is convenient to have a couple, but the price of discs should be just a dollar or two each, more than CD's, but far, far less than memory sticks.

Anyhow, this is all just blabbering on my part because Sony will probably have hard-wired the PSP to self destruct if you find a way to make it more useful than they want it to be because they are trying very hard to take marketshare in the MP3 player market right now :p

Think about it, if sony sold a UMD recorder and you could rip your CD's onto a UMD and carry it around like an MP3player, (Without having to pay for 2 or 3 Duo cards) wouldn't that make the PSP a more handy and cool device?  Imagine if you could rip a few of your favoraite movies on to UMD and have your whole CD collection, five or ten of your favoraite movies along with five or six good video games and a universal player all in a walkman sized sack?  Cripes, that is a revolution in modern micro media, but the stingey, greedy screw balls, won't let that happen until some other company usurps their technology, but by then, too little too late as always.

You do realize that you've pretty much described Sony's newer Hi-MD players?

Hi-MD player

1GB Hi-MD disc

Edited by mikeszekely

Hi-MD player

1GB Hi-MD disc

Absolutely, that is why I am kind of frustrated with them. I love the MD format by the way, I would jump on the new Hi-MD if I didn't know they will make it patently difficult to utilize to it's full potential. If they would just allow people to use the damn machines they make to their full capability we would have some spectacular stuff, but Sony and their different divisions spend so much time trying to limit the functions of their stuff so as not to interfere with the sales arms of their other wings, riht now they could be selling a handheld device in the form of the PSP that is your Cell phone, Digital Camera, Walkman, PDA, Portable Game System, Portable movie player (With miniRCA jacks so you could use it for your home or travel theatre) and psuedo-laptop.

blehhhhh

Hi-MD player

1GB Hi-MD disc

Absolutely, that is why I am kind of frustrated with them. I love the MD format by the way, I would jump on the new Hi-MD if I didn't know they will make it patently difficult to utilize to it's full potential. If they would just allow people to use the damn machines they make to their full capability we would have some spectacular stuff, but Sony and their different divisions spend so much time trying to limit the functions of their stuff so as not to interfere with the sales arms of their other wings, riht now they could be selling a handheld device in the form of the PSP that is your Cell phone, Digital Camera, Walkman, PDA, Portable Game System, Portable movie player (With miniRCA jacks so you could use it for your home or travel theatre) and psuedo-laptop.

blehhhhh

ngage doesn't realy do very well sadly to say.

Not fair :p Ngage is a bunch of crap thrown on a cell phone. The PSP is a pretty high resolution handheld video game system/multimedia device that could have some of these mundane functions added in to make it an all in one device that actually looks good.

Yeah, I doubt it would be all that difficult to take what the NGage does...but not crappy. Especially backed by Sony. It's just a matter of...will they? All signs point to no, unfortunately.

Some more movies coming that I won't be buying lol.

Lions Gate releasing 12 UMD movies

Studio's first round of films on the PSP's proprietary media will include new offerings like Open Water, The Punisher, and Total Recall.

Fears that the only films available on the PSP's universal media disc would be Sony Pictures were further allayed today. Speaking to the Hollywood Reporter, Lions Gate Entertainment president Steve Beeks said his company would release a dozen films on the 50-centimeter, 1.8 gigabyte discs to connect with the gamer audience.

"The typical buyer of the machine--a young male gamer--also happens to be the core demographic to whom our films generally appeal," he said. "So it dovetails nicely not only with out past and current theatrical releasing, but also with our library, where we have a lot of action/special effects films."

Indeed, among the initial batch of Lions Gate films are a number of titles tailor-made for 18- to 35-year-old males. Recent films, such as the low-budget thriller Open Water, the horror film Saw, and the comic book-inspired actioner The Punisher--which itself inspired a game--will be among the 12 films. They will be joined by muy macho classics from the Lions Gate's library, including Total Recall and Rambo: First Blood. The remainder of the titles were not named as of press time.

"When we first saw the machine and started talking to Sony, we immediately decided it was going to be a winner, both from the gaming perspective and from the perspective of people watching movies on the go," Beeks said.

For all its kind words for the PSP, Lions Gate has actually sided against Sony in the battle to succeed the DVD. It is supporting the HD-DVD format over the Blu-ray Disc media, which the PlayStation 3 will use.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/07/news_6119891.html

Not fair :p Ngage is a bunch of crap thrown on a cell phone. The PSP is a pretty high resolution handheld video game system/multimedia device that could have some of these mundane functions added in to make it an all in one device that actually looks good.

To be truthful, I don't mind a high-end portable gaming system that can do other things, but I've come to the conclusion that cell phone is not one of the things I want it to do. I have a decent cell phone, it's just the right size, so no matter what I have it on me. I don't even have a home phone.

Now, my PSP is going to go places with me, but not everywhere. It's just the right size for a game deck/video player, but too large for a cell phone. Plus, if the N-Gage has taught us anything, you choices of carriers would be limited anyway. Frankly, why pay for features you know you're NEVER going to use. I mean, with the UMD movies, there's a slim chance that I'll see something cool on UMD at a bargain price that I'd pick up.

Hi-MD player

1GB Hi-MD disc

blehhhhh

Well, again, there's some major changes going on in Sony's brass, so perhaps such trends will begin to change as Sony focuses less on hardware (since Sony is no longer dominating that field) and more on content.

Okay I paid up 100 more dollars today for my PSP and was talkin about accessories with the guy there....heh, apparently there's no need to buy a case since the PSP will come with a "nice" leather one.

But I'm still thinking I wanna get some other stuff.

I was taking a look at it and I think my computer has all the hardware junk for those Memory sticks....creepy.

I talked with a Sony Rep today, first off, the PSP is fantastic. So sleek and solid feeling. The screen res and mulitmedia options look fantastic.

The case thats comes with it is more like a sleeve, and its not leather, its more like like neoprene or other synthetics. Theres no room on it for more than just the system, so if you want to carry a couple UMDs or batteries, etc. you'll need another case.

Oh also, the video format that will play on the PSP is Mpeg-4, so you can convert your avi or other format to that one, and watch it. (Off the memory stick) She said that only that format will play.

For music: Its Atrac and MP3 formats.

Edited by Britai 7018

Oh also, the video format that will play on the PSP is Mpeg-4, so you can convert your avi or other format to that one, and watch it. (Off the memory stick) She said that only that format will play.

What's the largest capacity memory stick available? How hard is it to convert all my existing video files to mpeg4?

AFAIK, EB Games is selling the 1 gig Mem stick for $149.99, and there currently are programs that can convert video format. There are rumors that sony will put out a utility later this year that will simplify the conversion, but theres no info on whether or not it will be a psp firmware upgrade or computer program, or something else altogether.

What's the largest capacity memory stick available? How hard is it to convert all my existing video files to mpeg4?

SanDisk is supposedly working on a 2GB Memory Stick. It might be time consuming, but I don't think converting other video files to MPEG-4 should be overly difficult.

And Zentrandude, there were more changes than just the CEO. Kaz Hirai was forced to step down from his position as deputy vice president, and another deputy VP was promoted to VP (or possibly president, I don't remember). Hirai will still be the head of SCEI, though. (My guess is that he didn't get promoted because he was badmouthing Sony a few months ago for not doing more to promote the PSP.)

Anyway, as for the new CEO, he already stated publicly that he wants Sony to stop focusing on new technology and hardware, because while Sony was once the industry leader, many other companies are making high quality products that cost less, most noteably rival Matsushita (Panasonic's parent company) and Korean hot-shot Samsung. Instead, the new CEO wants Sony to focus more on content. I think it's also worth mentioning that the new CEO is an American, so he should hopefully bring a different mindset to the company than the previous and more traditional Japanese CEOs.

On can only hope, with a new content-driven mindset, that Sony will stop playing games with proprietary technologies (like Memory Stick, Magic Gate, or Hi-MD).

Of course, I could just be getting my hopes up for nothing.

The software is available from Sony Japan web site but it costs 1000 yen (10 bucks) or you can do it for free at

http://portablevideo.engadget.com/entry/1234000980024404/

My whole take on playing movies on the PSP from memsticks is that

it cost too much (comparing memstick prices to CFs and SDs) and very time comsuming (you have to re compress all your files you want to watch). If you have the money and all the time in the world, more power to you ;)

I just like to drag and drop and go :D

Edited by Gunbuster

What is the best place and cheapest price that people are pre-ordering for the United States release of the PSP?

I am just wondering because the two places that I looked have you paying 400-500 for a console, memory stick and like 5 games with all this other stuff that I dont want. I just want the basic system, a memory card and like 1 game.

Thanks for any info,

Twich

Well depends on what you're trying to do.

Gamestop offers 3 different online bundles, both come with Spiderman 2 movie...and a few games and other such quantities. However you easily start at 300 dollars and work your way up to 500 some odd dollars.

OR you can just go to a gamestore and just get the consel. Word is some of the games are coming out Sometime this new week....but if you made an order and you haven't finished paying off the games you don't have to worry. They're willing to hold on to your game till the PSP gets in.

Well depends on what you're trying to do.

Gamestop offers 3 different online bundles, both come with Spiderman 2 movie...and a few games and other such quantities. However you easily start at 300 dollars and work your way up to 500 some odd dollars.

OR you can just go to a gamestore and just get the consel. Word is some of the games are coming out Sometime this new week....but if you made an order and you haven't finished paying off the games you don't have to worry. They're willing to hold on to your game till the PSP gets in.

A lot of online retailers are coming up with special bundle deals, but if you go into any Gamestop or EB, you should be able to put just $50 down for the console, which comes with a 32MB Memory Stick. You can also preorder any and all games you might want, or just pick whatever you want up whenever you go in to get the system.

Myself, I already paid off the PSP and six games. I love new toys...

I have a PS and five games paid for. I wonder if they are going to have me come down to EB tomorrow to pick up my games to be released on the 15th with the system still not due for another week.

That will be a long week of instruction manual and small disc size admiration :p