Juon, the Grudge

gerwalk25

I just wonder if this is gonna be as good as the original Juon? I've seen it and I thought it was a good scary flick like Ring and many of the scenes from the new trailers seem that they stuck with the original material plus it's the same director to boot. What do you guys think?

Edited by gerwalk25

Saw looks like the most retarded thing to hit the theaters since House of 1000 Corpses. <_<

As for the Grudge, it's got Sarah Michelle Gellar, it's got a Hollywood budget and effects, and it's in English, but it should still be closer to Juon than the American version of the Ring was to the original, since Takashi Shimizu directed both the Grudge and Juon.

I want to see it, but my GF has nightmares for weeks after seeing stuff like that, so probably not.

If my wife doesn't want to go, I'll go with a bud. If my buds don't want to go, I'll go alone. I'm not a big on the entire horror genre, but movies like Juon/the Grudge/Ring I usually wind up loving.

Just came back from it with my wife. If you like horror or scary movies in general GO SEE THIS! If you didn't like the Ring you may say "meh". That doesn't really qualify though since the pacing on this movie is different. I'd say the pace is more like a rollercoaster. Don't let Buffy's presence in the movie put you off either, she carries the movie pretty well. My .02.

Its an interesting film . . . ok enuff to get rid the bad taste of Mac Zero's disappointment. SMG and KaDee Strickland do actually look pretty hot in the film. Too bad the film tries to be both a Japanese horror flick and a Hollywood screamfest (read: play loud noises to scare audiences) at the same time.

I'd give it a "wouldn't even try looking for a .torrent" vote. BTW the audience was like 80% female . . .

Seeing sarah michelle gellar NOT kicking ass of random ghost is just so wrong.

:lol:

The slayer image will forever stick in me.

yea when i saw the trailer i was like "why they hell dosent she kick the crap outta thought demons!"

BTW the audience was like 80% female

And you're complaining? :p I'm married, not dead. Somehow the screams of women and seeing them run from the theater freaking out made it more enjoyable.

Indeed. I went alone when I saw The Ring in the the theaters. By the end of the movie, I'd had my arm glomped no less that three times by the girls sitting beside me B))

just came back from it... pretty fun watch... I'm not a big SMG fan, but she was ok. The ending was totally unecessary though.

The movie was just a series of scary scenes after another but doesn't really have a story of it's own. There's a good back story that explains what actually happened to start it all, but it doesn't really explain why Buffy is the focus and there's no resolve. If they made a part 2 and that ties the story up then it'll make me love this movie. All in all, it doesn't realy matter because if you go to get scared then you definitely will.

I've never seen the original and so maybe all my questions has already been answered. :huh:

One of my friends said she won't be sleeping with the covers on tonight... :ph34r:

Its an interesting film . . . ok enuff to get rid the bad taste of Mac Zero's disappointment. SMG and KaDee Strickland do actually look pretty hot in the film. Too bad the film tries to be both a Japanese horror flick and a Hollywood screamfest (read: play loud noises to scare audiences) at the same time.

I'd give it a "wouldn't even try looking for a .torrent" vote. BTW the audience was like 80% female . . .

well, to be fair, the original japanese version also has its share of loud noises to scare audiences.

Actually the American one looks better. The Original JP movie was BORING!!!!!

Man, I was so pissed I bought it. Part II was better, but has little to do with the first.

I seen it last night and it was so so and since I only saw Buffy season 1 I didn't pidgeon-hole SMG as such her character in Grudge was decent. Personally I liked the pacing of the original, it was slow and built up to a pretty good climax (did I just say that out loud?:p ). This version was kinda predictable and the pacing was the opposite.

BTW there was a Juon 2? As far as I know Juon I know was made as a TV movie in Japan and was re-shot for a theatrical release.

Actually the American one looks better.  The Original JP movie was BORING!!!!!

Man, I was so pissed I bought it.  Part II was better, but has little to do with the first.

I seen it last night and it was so so and since I only saw Buffy season 1 I didn't pidgeon-hole SMG as such her character in Grudge was decent. Personally I liked the pacing of the original, it was slow and built up to a pretty good climax (did I just say that out loud?:p ). This version was kinda predictable and the pacing was the opposite.

BTW there was a Juon 2? As far as I know Juon I know was made as a TV movie in Japan and was re-shot for a theatrical release.

And then there was a made for TV Juon 2, followed by a theatrical release of Juon 2.

Just got back from seeing the Grudge. From what I can tell, it starts off pretty similar to the Japanese theatrical release of Juon, then goes into something more like the original TV Juon. All in all, very creepy, but not as scary as the Ring. Not as much plot as the Ring, either. I'd still give it two thumbs up.

My two cents have spoilers, if it matters,

Saw it tonight. I thought it was pretty freaky. Especially the covers part. When the sister pulled a piece of torn cotton I muttered crap. The damn thing cut a hole in her matress to rise from and crawl up on her. And before that, CALLING her to see what room she was in?! I mean..damn. This ghost liked to screw with you before killing you.

This confirms my rule of steadfastly refusing to be the last one at the office. I rush to not be the one to lock up.

I thought it was scarier than the Ring was personally. In here the ghost was indiscriminate. Anyone that stepped foot there, or even just called the house was fair game. The Ring it was more limited.

I do have one question: If you're going to try to burn down a haunted house, why would you not do it from the outside where it was safe? Instead of going in the house, and then checking what the noise was not expecting to die?

Still gets my vote as most disturbing movie of the year so far though.

I picked up all four of the Juon movies a few months ago, There were 2 theatrical movies and two TV movies, Juon the Grudge part 1 and 2 and Juon The Curse part one and two, they are all different flicks, and they all essentially tell one big story about that house and it's cursed inhabitants/visitors.

I went and saw the theatrical movie yesterday. They really picked and chose fun scenes from all of the Juon movies to put together one cohesive storyline to accomodate one big name hollywood actress that most certainly cost a lot to hire. In the Japanese movies the victims of the house were disposable, they all died. The japanese version did a lot more out-of-sync time jumping, back and forth to break up the story and show you bits and pieces of the things that happened in the house, the American version was a little more linear, I think they wanted it to be a little easier to understand since I don't think they are planning to have 8 hours to drag the story out over. Although, they have left enough material to make a sequel if they want to in my opinion.

Overall, the Hollywood remake is a cool flick, and it has it's spooky moments but if you have the chance to see the entire Japanese run, it is worth the time.

CNN's "Grudge makes 40 million article" hints that a sequel is in the pipeline.

What would they do with it though? How related are the Japanese movies to each other?

I picked up all four of the Juon movies a few months ago, There were 2 theatrical movies and two TV movies, Juon the Grudge part 1 and 2 and Juon The Curse part one and two, they are all different flicks, and they all essentially tell one big story about that house and it's cursed inhabitants/visitors.

I went and saw the theatrical movie yesterday. They really picked and chose fun scenes from all of the Juon movies to put together one cohesive storyline to accomodate one big name hollywood actress that most certainly cost a lot to hire. In the Japanese movies the victims of the house were disposable, they all died. The japanese version did a lot more out-of-sync time jumping, back and forth to break up the story and show you bits and pieces of the things that happened in the house, the American version was a little more linear, I think they wanted it to be a little easier to understand since I don't think they are planning to have 8 hours to drag the story out over. Although, they have left enough material to make a sequel if they want to in my opinion.

Overall, the Hollywood remake is a cool flick, and it has it's spooky moments but if you have the chance to see the entire Japanese run, it is worth the time.

Where'd you find the TV version of Juon?

The American Grudge starts off very similar to the theatrical Juon, then kinda moves into the TV Juon. It's basically a remake and amalgamation of the TV and movie versions. Yeah, there's more gaijin hanging around Tokyo, and they've got Hollywood behind it, but with Shimizu directing, make no mistake- it's a Japanese movie.

I like how they kept the setting in tokyo. They could have done the usual cliche of moving the whole setting to the states somewhere, but intead they chose the cooler appoach of having the exchange students operating in Tokyo. Very nice for once.

I saw it Saturday... I've seen the original and I thought they were pretty much the same.

The thing about The Grudge is that the scares are really good. The director knows how to work the scene and the music, effects, lighting... everything is perfect and it definitely works the audience over good. But like most Japanese horror movies... it really doesn't make a ton of sense.

The great thing about the American remake of The Ring was that the story ended up being much better. You get an idea of why these people are dying, where the mythos comes from, etc. The Grudge, you basically walk away going, "huh?"

SPOILERS -

Ultimately, there's no real motivation for the dead wife and child to kill people who come into the house. Yeah, they got killed - that's sad... but there's no real "seeking vengence" vibe to them and there's no reason to haunt the various people who enter the house. If anybody would be a pissed off spirit, it would likely be the father/killer.

When you take the time and try to make a backstory as to WHY this house kills people... you have to make some kind of sense. It essentially builds up to this "big discovery" where it all means the same thing we knew from the beginning. If you go in the house, you gonna die. Gee, thanks.

But the scary parts are great. My fiance and I definitely have no intention of adopting a little asian boy anymore. :p J/K.

Where'd you find the TV version of Juon?

I went to E-Bay and picked up HK versions from a seller I have dealt with a number of times. (Yeah, Yeah I know bad Ghadrack for buying HK boots :p)

Anyhow they were cool, and I think the 1st TV movie was at least as scary as either of the theatrical movies. And Gogo fom Kill Bill has a great scene :)

Spoiler******

Unless I am missing something, the plot is very very superficial, they explain it in the first frame, an Old Japanese Ghost story describes a horrible curse that inhabits a place place when someone dies a terrible death there, and the curse is essentially an irrational demon that kills anyone who interferes with its territory, so basically don't go on it's turf or you are screwed.

I don't have a problem with a simple premise like that for a horror movie, it makes for a simple story where your imagination can run wild. It also makes for a film that can have absolutely endless sequels if people stay interested. Cable Guy, Telephone repair man, Pizza delivery dude. Anyone in the service industry can be doomed to prolong the suffering :)

But the scary parts are great. My fiance and I definitely have no intention of adopting a little asian boy anymore. :p J/K.

:mellow:

:(

unpacks bag...

SPOILERS...

The only thing I could do to justify the killing spree of these two spirits is they all died in a violent state and that's the only part of the spirits that didn't cross over... but it never implied that...

I guess there's no waiting period of spirits to become ghosts. The boy was dead within the hours of being drwoned and showed up as a ghost to that Peter (Bill Pullman) when he got there. Remember, Peter jumped off the building one day after...

I guess he was an instant ghost... just add water... :p

I'm not even sure the boy was a killer, I don't remember him killing anyone... the dad did kill the detective though.

The ones that survived so far from being in the house was the partner and the real estate agent.

Saw will be better...

The boy did kill matthew and had a lot to do with killing the wife as he was found next to her when Matthew came home.

As for (at least some of) the killed becoming killer ghosts, that could be supported by Yohko, who killed the boss guy at the support center. Bloodied up Yoko luring him to the staircase.

The nasty part was her Jaw having been ripped off. That was just nasty when she turned around and waved her tounge at him.

• 2 weeks later...

The Japanese Ju-on is being released on DVD this Tuesday if anyone's interested. I'm tempted to pick this one up myself to give it a try.

link