Half Life 2 goes Gold

bsu legato

From IGN.com

October 18, 2004 - Half-Life 2 has gone gold.

Officially.

We'll give you a moment to sit down, take a breath, or catch a breath, or whatever you need to do. But yes, it's as true as it can be, as we received official word from Vivendi Universal Games just moments ago. Even better, we now have a street date: November 16, 2004.

After so much waiting, so much speculation, so many rumors, eager fans watching every online indication, scouring for hints, clues, and details on the status of one of the most anticipated games ever -- well, finally, here we are. The day is upon us. November 16 is not very far away.

Vivendi plans to ship localized versions of the game simultaneously (English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Traditional and Simplified Chinese, Korean, Thai and Japanese) on that magic date.

Users who have ordered the game through Steam will presumably see the game unlocked on that day as well, though we have yet to receive a confirmed time when this will happen.

"Half-Life 2 has surpassed our expectations in every sense -- its high-quality graphics, ground-breaking physics and immersive first-person shooter gameplay set a new standard for PC action games," said Bruce Hack, CEO of VU Games. "Half-Life 2 will go down as one of the best-selling PC titles, and we are thrilled to deliver this ground-breaking title to the worldwide gaming community this fall."

Excited? Yeah, we're right there with you. It's even okay if you're laughing. Let's start counting the days.

After all the rumors, I'm skeptically hopeful, but it could finally be true. Better still, HL2 will actually beat Duke Nukem Forever to store shelves!

This is the ONLY game I am looking forward too lately, and will immediately pick up. Games have been dead last on my priority list these days, but I'll make an exeption for half-life.

I gave up on Duke Nukem long long ago. Any momentum the Duke had died years ago. The competition is too strong now.

Edited by Anubis

I'm really hoping this doesn't turn out to be another Daikatana. I loved the first game and I really am impressed by what I've heard of the sequel. The demo movies were amazing and included all the things I expected in a sequel to a game like Half-Life. I'm just hoping the game is the entrie package and not just bits and pieces of a much better progenitor.

Oh yeah, ID has been done for years IMO. The games they produce become little more than graphic test beds that are put to better use in games that liscense the engine.

I think I'm going to pony up and get the special "collector's edition" DVD release of the game just to get the Half Life: Source game (which is the original HL just remade using the Source engine). I think it will be pretty neat to replay the first one in the new game engine then play the new one immediately after.

After reading PC Gamer's review (98%), and looking at the hardware spreads, I knew I had to upgrade the GeForce4MX 440 I've been using already. I'll pass that one downstairs like the rest of the hardware that's in it.

Today I ordered a new ATI Radeon AIW 9600XT. This way I can get a new fancy tv tuner (I use my pc as my tv in my room), and all the graphics capability I need, and Pinnacle Studio 8 is a sweet bonus. I will never pay 300 dollars for a super-high-end graphics card, so this was a perfect balance I think. Can't wait to install it, I haven't upgraded my system for a while.

Newegg rocks, ordered the card for 189, with free shipping.

Should be ready to go after this. I have no time to do anything anymore, but hopefully I can squeeze some HL time in a few times a week. Guess I should play HL: Source too, though I'm not sure if I should do that first.

Anyone else realize they have to upgrade something?

I got a 9800pro just for doom3 and it (the video card) screwed my whole system over. I take it in and they say I have a blown capacitor on my motherboard and I can't run heavy applications. Does this sound plausible? And for this problem, i have to buy a whole new motherboard (?). Anyway I'm really pissed because now I don't get to play HL2 till my computer is fixed, furthermore no games at all :angry:

I don't know enough about computers to tell you if what they are handing you is a load of crap or not but what I do know about electronics and circuit boards tells me if it is a capacitor and they have a rough idea where it is at then you can definately replace it... you just have to find someone who has the skill and is willing to hunt down the bad bit, remove and replace it. Computers are no different than your TV, a radio or any other circuit board based electronic device for the most part and in truth all those things can be repaired to some degree... the problem comes usually with cost. In a lot of cases to hire a pro to troubleshoot your problem, get the replacement parts and do a quality repair job can cost you the price of replacing the item with a new one. That is super true of VCRs, DVD players and TV's (as I found out all too well).

So for my opinion it stands that all things are repairable... the question is are you willing to pay to have it repaired or should you just toss it and buy a new one. My guess is the chance of finding someone skilled enough to do that repair job will be a steep task in and of itself and they will most likely charge you the rough cost of just replacing the part to fix it.

Edit: now that I think about it would a blown circuit on a motherboard just cause the whole thing not to work? I would think that would be the case. I have seen my fair share of blown electronics and even if some stupid part of the board is blown out that does not directly affect the operation of the device it can cause the whole device to not work.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

Just like being told you have some disease, get a second opinion. Take the box to a local mom and pop shop or another chain that offers PC repair and get their take on it. If they tell you the exact same thing then you have your answer... if they tell you something different is wrong take it to a third place as a tiebreaker. If the third place says something completely different than that just means either none of them really know what your problem is, they are all guessing at the problem or they are all pulling your leg to get more money out of you.

That is the danger zone with me and computers, I don't know enough to know who is right and who is wrong so I have to have a trusted set of people I take my home box to for help. In my mind computer problems are like car problems, if you don't know and and can't fix it yourself take it to someone you trust to do the job right and not bend you over like Gacy.

Doom III was fun as hell. Some parts were just creepy.

HL2 should be cool too... at least it had better be after their whole fiasco. I managed to snag the leaked piece of software, it was strange because I saw what was in the video... only it was a million times suckier. I think they needed more time.. lol

Anyway, this had better be a freakin good game.

Oh, and get this: Today I read that you will need an internet connection to install and possibly to play HL2. Something to do with Steam authenticating your CD key (or whatever technology they're using). I presume this is an anti piracy measure.

If its to set up, then no big deal, I can understand why they would protect their stuff..

But if its to play, then I'll never get it.

Just like being told you have some disease, get a second opinion. Take the box to a local mom and pop shop or another chain that offers PC repair and get their take on it. If they tell you the exact same thing then you have your answer... if they tell you something different is wrong take it to a third place as a tiebreaker. If the third place says something completely different than that just means either none of them really know what your problem is, they are all guessing at the problem or they are all pulling your leg to get more money out of you.

Initially, thats what I'm gonna do, but those diagnostic charges rape you. Thanks for info btw.

Edited by Daishi3500

I got a 9800pro just for doom3 and it (the video card) screwed my whole system over. I take it in and they say I have a blown capacitor on my motherboard and I can't run heavy applications. Does this sound plausible? And for this problem, i have to buy a whole new motherboard (?). Anyway I'm really pissed because now I don't get to play HL2 till my computer is fixed, furthermore no games at all :angry:

I smell BS!! I'm A+ cert. and I have been working on computers for some time and I never heard of a video card blowing a capacitor on a MotherBoard. Does your computer even turn on? What happened when your computer started acting funky? Don't get ripped off man! What kind of motherboard do you have? Were you overclocking your video card or CPU at all??

I got a 9800pro just for doom3 and it (the video card) screwed my whole system over. I take it in and they say I have a blown capacitor on my motherboard and I can't run heavy applications. Does this sound plausible? And for this problem, i have to buy a whole new motherboard (?). Anyway I'm really pissed because now I don't get to play HL2 till my computer is fixed, furthermore no games at all  :angry:

I smell BS!! I'm A+ cert. and I have been working on computers for some time and I never heard of a video card blowing a capacitor on a MotherBoard. Does your computer even turn on? What happened when your computer started acting funky? Don't get ripped off man! What kind of motherboard do you have? Were you overclocking your video card or CPU at all??

Ya, my computer boots fine and I can run almost all applications well. The Funky stuff is after I installed the 9800, I would play doom 3 just fine for fifteen minutes, then my cpu and moniter would turn off, or sometimes i would get wierd checkered color patterns on my monitor.Its definitely not a heat problem so I took it in, they looked it over. Now, I can't play any game, period. The cpu will handle the visualizer on media players, but for only so long before the cpu and moniter die as well. The russian computer guys say, "Comrade, there's physical evidence (its apparent they only looked at the motherboard itself) that there is a blown capacitor here... MOTHERLAND!" Thats not exactly what they said, but they are a russians.

Oh, and I don't overclock.

Ya, my computer boots fine and I can run almost all applications well. The Funky stuff is after I installed the 9800, I would play doom 3 just fine for fifteen minutes, then my cpu and moniter would turn off, or sometimes i would get wierd checkered color patterns on my monitor.Its definitely not a heat problem so I took it in, they looked it over. Now, I can't play any game, period. The cpu will handle the visualizer on media players, but for only so long before the cpu and moniter die as well. The russian computer guys say, "Comrade, there's physical evidence (its apparent they only looked at the motherboard itself) that there is a blown capacitor here... MOTHERLAND!" Thats not exactly what they said, but they are a russians.

Oh, and I don't overclock.

Did you uninstall the new card and pop your old one back in? See if it happens with the old one?

Could isololate wether it's the new card or not. Could be as simple as a driver/software glitch, or something not set quite right.

Places these days really rape you just on the diagnostic charge. Crazy.

I once had a motherboard with a 128MB stick of PC133 SDRAM in it. All was fine. Then I tried to install a second 128MB stick to upgrade and after that it crashed constantly. Removing the second stick of memory fixed the problem. Tried it later with a different brand of memory, same thing happened. The motherboard didn't like going above 128. Something had to have been wrong with the memory. The system was always a litttle unstable, so it probably had to do with that as well. After discovering the RAM issue, I swapped the motherdoard. This is why I stick with Abit personally. The ram problem was with an Aopen board (same board didn't like USB much either), I've bought an Asus that had other problems, and then I tried Abit, and 2 motherboards later I haven't had a problem with any of them.

I like NVidia cards, and also ATI's. I've had several of each. I've never had a problem with my GeForce 4MX (it's performed flawlessly), though for what I need my system to do, an All-in-wonder would suit me best, and it is time to up the graphic capability in time for HL and maybe doom3.

I have an older TV Wonder PCI, but it isn't as feature friendly as the newer stuff, and it conflicts with varying things. It's caused a headache or two on occasion. I was actually thinking about taking the TV wonder out and using my Hauppage WinTV USB again. I used it in Korea. Simple program, no headaches, but a noticeable grainier picture. Using the AIW will take care of all I need, and I also won't be needing my separate Pinnacle capture card anymore (which I lent to my girlfriend recently).

The 9600XT should be fine with the games too. I read a lot of online tests and it performed pretty good there. Many places still want over 200 for this AIW (sometimes for the AIW 9600, not even the XT), so the 189 for the XT from newegg was a steal.

Edited by Anubis

It sounds like you did not properly unistall the old video drivers. Windows can sometimes sort things out but not most of the time. You can try to uninstall all video drivers and set it up for standard VGA, then install the new drivers. If all else fails, I would just reformat the hd and start over. Download the latest drivers for all the hardware and update windows to the latest. If you still have the same problems, then it is more than likely hardware related.

Lol I'm not playing half-life 2 with a nerd geek on the front art. :p

I don't know... I always avoided half-life since the day I heared that name. :rolleyes:

You don't know what you've missed.

I don't know about others (other than Kin that is :p ) but I always sort of liked the whole "nerdy anti-hero" that Gordon Freeman was. I myself am a bit fed up with the musclebound chisel jawed mod hair ken hero archetype that seems to exsist in every game. Gordon, being a scientist, would have just been stupid if he looked like Tom Cruise and was ripped like Arnie.

I don't know about others (other than Kin that is :p ) but I always sort of liked the whole "nerdy anti-hero" that Gordon Freeman was. I myself am a bit fed up with the musclebound chisel jawed mod hair ken hero archetype that seems to exsist in every game. Gordon, being a scientist, would have just been stupid if he looked like Tom Cruise and was ripped like Arnie.

BLASPHEMY!!!!

BURN HIM!

I don't know about others (other than Kin that is  :p ) but I always sort of liked the whole "nerdy anti-hero" that Gordon Freeman was. I myself am a bit fed up with the musclebound chisel jawed mod hair ken hero archetype that seems to exsist in every game. Gordon, being a scientist, would have just been stupid if he looked like Tom Cruise and was ripped like Arnie.

BLASPHEMY!!!!

BURN HIM!

Its funny when you just put glasses on some generic guy and all of a sudden he's a geeky anti-hero... :lol:

I mean, really... the geekiest thing Gordon does is push a cart full of mystery stuff into a big nasty looking reactor core thingie... then he runs around and shoots poo just like Arnie. :)