Half Life 2 goes Gold

bsu legato

I don't know about others (other than Kin that isĀ  :p ) but I always sort of liked the whole "nerdy anti-hero" that Gordon Freeman was. I myself am a bit fed up with the musclebound chisel jawed mod hair ken hero archetype that seems to exsist in every game. Gordon, being a scientist, would have just been stupid if he looked like Tom Cruise and was ripped like Arnie.

BLASPHEMY!!!!

BURN HIM!

Its funny when you just put glasses on some generic guy and all of a sudden he's a geeky anti-hero... :lol:

I mean, really... the geekiest thing Gordon does is push a cart full of mystery stuff into a big nasty looking reactor core thingie... then he runs around and shoots poo just like Arnie. :)

Haw Haw!

Caught by your own 'swear word changer crap.'

But the implication was that he was some sort of uber scientist headhunted by Black Mesa to be one of the few elite super scientists of the world working on next level crap... I don't exactly see a commando Arnie type handling test tubes working on a dimensional portal. Most of Gordon's "super power" comes from his special Ricardo Montobon Spy Kids 3D super suit... without that suit he is just the same as the other whitecoats walking around. The only real soldier in HL was the one you play in Opposing Force and even the security guard Barney you play in Blue Shift is pretty much Joe Everyman.

Its funny when you just put glasses on some generic guy and all of a sudden he's a geeky anti-hero... :lol:

I mean, really... the geekiest thing Gordon does is push a cart full of mystery stuff into a big nasty looking reactor core thingie... then he runs around and shoots SH!T just like Arnie. :)

To tell you the truth, when they make some wuss guy into a hero, I find it annoying. The people that kick ass in real life always LOOK like they kick ass. Glasses or not. Ya seen any Marines that look like pussies?

But Marines are Marines. How often when the crap hits the fan does there just happen to be an Ex-SEAL turned cook hiding in the ductwork that will take out the bad guys?

Edit: My point was the cinematic and video game crutch of always having the hero be some sort of commando SEAL ranger delta force kill factory is just a bit too overused.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

But Marines are Marines. How often when the crap hits the fan does there just happen to be an Ex-SEAL turned cook hiding in the ductwork that will take out the bad guys?

Edit: My point was the cinematic and video game crutch of always having the hero be some sort of commando SEAL ranger delta force kill factory is just a bit too overused.

But some geek would get owned....

I always wondered why they had these super-suits...

I mean... they really didn't do much except explain the hud. You couldn't jump much farther... maybe a bit higher... that thing never shut up either! Heheh, I always imagined Gordon as being the bitch scientist that had to do all the crap jobs. If you really wanna see something different Js, why not a videogame where you play the role of an overweight, middle-aged black woman? (I'm sure they're working on that)

Oh yeah, Agent ONE, I saw that filter catch me and it still makes me laugh my ass off.

I'll agree with that. It is refreshing when the hero is a simple grunt, like in Quake3, or how about Tommy Vercetti in Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City. He was just a nobody.

I myself like games that allow the player to determine the character they are... to a degree GTA VC does that but the new GTA San Andreas is supposed to do that even better. Want your guy to be a big fatass? Done. Want him to dress like a dork and be whisper thin? Done.

As for Geeks getting killed in HL, the way I saw it it was the skill of the player that saved Gordon... not his "skillz". After all, he's no Solid Snake. It's not like he's flip-kicking people, snapping necks and doing jujitsu stuff. I actually fondly remember dying like a tool tens of times in HL, mistakes that a supreme hardcore commando would not have made.

I'll agree with that. It is refreshing when the hero is a simple grunt, like in Quake3, or how about Tommy Vercetti in Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City. He was just a nobody.

Ok any character is those stupid GTA games is not a hero, not even anti-hero in my book, you play a villian a bad guy plain and simple from what I have seen, sorry no interest there. Now Gordon Freeman I like engineer/scientist in a cool techno suit forced to become the savior of the world, my kind of guy, not some stupid musclebound tough, but someone with brains. Must be one of the reasons why in my books so many of my characters have technical degrees, even the strongest most muscular guys.

Damn hype :) This news has intensified my anticipation again. I've been downloading a bunch of new movies that show off the game. It looks so good. After all the release delays and the code theft, I had been left with a sour taste in my mouth for HL2. Having watched these demo films, I remember how much I was awaiting this game roughly this same time last year.

Buying HL2 thru Steam, are we Max? What package did you get?

Silver, something was weird with my HL1 key or some crap so I couldn't associate it with my new account (my old one wasn't working for some reason)...

So I got the package with classic HL goodies included. No... Valve isn't raping my youth. :p

In my version of HL Gordon always shoots first. :)

Ok any character is those stupid GTA games is not a hero, not even anti-hero in my book, you play a villian a bad guy plain and simple from what I have seen, sorry no interest there. ...

I guess it depends on how you define "hero." Just because he is a criminal doesn't make the game any less fun to play. And besides I think the GTA games tap human potential in a different way. I have always people are inherently evil, they force themselves to be good, as a result of preasure from society. Personally I love in GTA when someone is screwing with me... I just set them on fire and listen to them scream. I don't think killing in any other video game has ever been more fun.

Personally I love in GTA when someone is screwing with me... I just set them on fire and listen to them scream.Ā  I don't think killing in any other video game has ever been more fun.

I dunno man... you can kill people in some fun ways in Postal II. I prefer urinating in their mouth until they start to vomit, then I blow them away. :) Alternatively, you can pour gasoline on them and toss a match. Not the best game out there, but fun for fun's sake. :)

Personally I love in GTA when someone is screwing with me... I just set them on fire and listen to them scream.Ā  I don't think killing in any other video game has ever been more fun.

I dunno man... you can kill people in some fun ways in Postal II. I prefer urinating in their mouth until they start to vomit, then I blow them away. :) Alternatively, you can pour gasoline on them and toss a match. Not the best game out there, but fun for fun's sake. :)

LOL - One of my guilty pleasures as well. B)) My favorite was walking into a crowded room, pouring gas all over the place, and throwing a match. Once everyone freaks out, and runs around on fire, then I piss all over them. "I'm helping I'm helping I'm helping I'm helping!" Although, beating up old ladies with a baseball bat in GTA is fun, too.

Cool. I haven't decided if I want to buy the retail version or just download it yet. I still have a couple of weeks to decide, so there's no real rush.

Dude, you get to play CS:Source while you wait. And while it is the classic gameplay, the Source engine not only makes the game look even more beautiful... but the objects added make for more exciting gunfights... I mean... you have to play OFFICE!!! So much junk to shoot etc...

Basically, you can get used to the source engine and make any tweaks you need to your setup before HL2 comes.

If you EVER liked Counter-Strike... this is the definitive version. One of the reasons I stopped playing was that the graphics were looking dated; PROBLEM SOLVED!

(some may cry foul, but to me, graphics are a part of the overall experience and help immerse myself... of course hardware is taken into consideration... like the MSX Metal Gear 2... *drool*)

The big Gold Edition Collectors set sounds cool. Ordinarily, I don't go for those big sets, but Half-Life is certainly one of those few, rare products that deserves a good set. I also love the soundtrack for Half-Life, and from what I've listened of HL2, the soundtrack is even better. I'm gonna get this uber set.

GOLD -- $89.95

Half-Life 2*

Counter-Strike: Source

Half-Life 1: Source*

Day of Defeat: Source*

Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam

Complete Half-Life 2 Strategy Guide from Prima Games

3 different Half-Life 2 posters

Half-Life Collector's box

Half-Life 2 hat

Half-Life 2 postcard

Half-Life 2 stickers

Half-Life 2 Soundtrack CD

Chance to win a trip to Valve! (1 trip offered for every 5000 Gold packages purchased).

Further clarification on that whole "Steam authentication" thing. It seems this is an installation-only requirement.

Q. Will the boxed versions of HL2 require any sort of Steam installations?

Doug Lombardi: During installation the user will be prompted to authenticate the copy and create a Steam account. After that is complete, the single-player and LAN games do not require an Internet connection.

Dude, you get to play CS:Source while you wait. And while it is the classic gameplay, the Source engine not only makes the game look even more beautiful... but the objects added make for more exciting gunfights... I mean... you have to play OFFICE!!! So much junk to shoot etc...

Bleh....I hate, hate, HATE Counterstrike. I'm sure it wouldn't be so bad with the new engine, assuming all the old hacks can't carry over to Source. But the gameplay itself...ick. From what I understand, this is just the same old Counterstrike with minimal changes. More disappointing is what I've read about the forthcoming Day Of Defeat: Source. Those games were good for their times, but neither of them seem to offer anything new gameplay-wise. Day of Defeat will have to something really special to compete, now that games like Call of Duty: United Offensive have moved beyond DoD's style of gameplay. I don't want to pay for DoD just to play on a remade, prettier version of the venerable Caen map. :(

Further clarification on that whole "Steam authentication" thing. It seems this is an installation-only requirement.
Q. Will the boxed versions of HL2 require any sort of Steam installations?

Doug Lombardi: During installation the user will be prompted to authenticate the copy and create a Steam account. After that is complete, the single-player and LAN games do not require an Internet connection.

wonder how long would it take. guess that means i can only play it on my main computer and leave me with hl2 withdraws when im out in the boonies with my backup computer and cant afford the long distance bill for internet access (knew a family who lived near had a bill for 12 thousand dollars cuz of the internet salesman said it was unlimited access for 10 bucks a month.)

I gave in and bought the Silver Edition from Steam as well.

Been playing Counter geek: Source and actually finishing top on some servers :D

The physics are really cool as well, hit a tire at the top of a hill and it will roll down :) watch a bottle roll along the floor if its windy :)

Looks great to :)

Names GumperPile on steam if anyone ever wants to play.

Bleh....I hate, hate, HATE Counterstrike. I'm sure it wouldn't be so bad with the new engine, assuming all the old hacks can't carry over to Source. But the gameplay itself...ick. From what I understand, this is just the same old Counterstrike with minimal changes. More disappointing is what I've read about the forthcoming Day Of Defeat: Source. Those games were good for their times, but neither of them seem to offer anything new gameplay-wise. Day of Defeat will have to something really special to compete, now that games like Call of Duty: United Offensive have moved beyond DoD's style of gameplay. I don't want to pay for DoD just to play on a remade, prettier version of the venerable Caen map. :(

Yeah, but you'll get to see Source in action. :)

There's lots of objects to manipulate strewn about... makes the battles more exciting... like something only good for covering a quick escape... not hiding behind... stuff like that.

Plus, these are gravy bsu! You like some rich gravy! :p

Yeah, but you'll get to see Source in action. :)

True enough. I *am* dying to finally see Source in action. Thankfully (or not) I'm tied up for the next week or so due to moving. That means I get to procrastinate for another week before making a decision which version to get!

Plus, these are gravy bsu! You like some rich gravy! :p

And I do like gravy..... :lol:

GOLD -- $89.95

Owwie! Even with the stronger Canuck dollar, that's an tough (expensive) pill to swallow. Have you seen any Canadian pricing for the "Collectors Edition" Retail version yet? All I can find online is the plain-ass version.

No, but I really don't care all that much. I buy so few games anymore, that one game costing me $89 US is not going to break me.