Shaun of the Dead GO WATCH!

Otaku-Smeghead

i just saw the preview of it on tv today. seems interesting as another stoner parody, that part that bothers is in one part of the preview it looked like the guy was trying to get it on with one of the lady zombies thinking shes drunk.

He definently is not. They think that the woman is merely drunk. However, the zombie woman is trying get herself a meal. It was pretty damn funny while also having some over the top gore.

I watched the first season of Spaced a couple weeks ago, so now I really want to see Shaun of the Dead.

There is a three disc Collectors Edition of Spaced due out in the UK shortly:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...2480229-2079647

Season Two is more of the same, only even better! :lol:

Keeping up my habit of my favourite bits of various things I watch being the things that aren't actually in them (er... its like this... for example, my favourite episode of Kimagure Orange Road is the "Giant Monster Jingoro Attacks" one, which is a summer special parody, not really part of the "proper" series), the scene I liked the best from Shaun of the Dead is the "The Man Who Would Be Shaun" segment. Nick Frost does an uncanny Sean Connery...

Oh, and cricket bats. Its about time someone made a film featuring this most lethal of all melee weapons...! B))

I want a Cornetto.

There is a three disc Collectors Edition of Spaced due out in the UK shortly:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...2480229-2079647

Season Two is more of the same, only even better! :lol:

Very cool. I got the first season coppied onto a tape from a friend who bought the DVD (I'm in the States). I enjoyed it a lot, though it took a couple of episodes to get into. I may have to keep an eye out for the set on Ebay (along with the Blakes 7 releases).

• 2 years later...

Thread back from the dead - just thought that those of you who liked Shaun of the Dead would want to know that Simon Peggs/Edgar Wrights/Nick Frosts new film, Hot Fuzz hit British cinemas this week. You can see trailers on YouTube; its basically a parody of Hollywood buddy cop/action movies but set in the UK county of Somerset.

I'm not really sure I can convey just why this idea is funny on the celluar level to us UK residents, but the closest I think I can get is to imagine Lethal Weapon set in the home town of The Waltons... :)

Thread back from the dead - just thought that those of you who liked Shaun of the Dead would want to know that Simon Peggs/Edgar Wrights/Nick Frosts new film, Hot Fuzz hit British cinemas this week. You can see trailers on YouTube; its basically a parody of Hollywood buddy cop/action movies but set in the UK county of Somerset.

I'm not really sure I can convey just why this idea is funny on the celluar level to us UK residents, but the closest I think I can get is to imagine Lethal Weapon set in the home town of The Waltons... :)

We have to wait until April 20th here in the US. ARGH!

I know... it soooo sucks to have to wait!!! Rrrgrgrghg...

Gonna try and see it this weekend.

Meh Cd your comparison is good I`d pay to see that done as a film of similar merit. " Good night JimBoy..... Blammmm!"

Incedently Shawn of the Dead is even funnier when you know the area they filmed it in. My friend used to live just down the road from where Shawn lives and went to the newsagent on his way to work in the morning. He was a bit pissed about having moved as he likes Zombie films and would have paid to be an extra.

Edited by big F

Don't be so quick to dismiss American audiences (or us Canadians for that matter). Shaun of the Dead did respectable business here in North America and as a Canuck, I thought it was definitely worth seeing. I suppose it's also worthy of note that I love "Spaced" :)

I must say, I am dying for a comedy like Hot Fuzz. The trailers are brilliant. Simon Pegg is so funny.

I am a huge fan of SOTD, and i look forward to anything those guys put out. I have never seen spaced, and only just recently heard of it but i am going to see if i can get a copy on dvd somewhere. more tv shows to add into my collection

Don't be so quick to dismiss American audiences (or us Canadians for that matter). Shaun of the Dead did respectable business here in North America and as a Canuck, I thought it was definitely worth seeing. I suppose it's also worthy of note that I love "Spaced" :)

I must say, I am dying for a comedy like Hot Fuzz. The trailers are brilliant. Simon Pegg is so funny.

Consider it mild revenge for all those British villains in big-budget action movies. :lol:

Couple of corrections: Big F, Meh CD was quoting a comparison I tried to make between Lethal Weapon and the Waltons.

Also, the film is actually set in Gloucestershire, not Somerset. I think I heard "Somerset" mentioned in an interview with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, and took that as where the film was set. Still, they are all part of the UK known darkly as the "Westcountry"... :)

Hopefully non-spoilerific review:

Saw Hot Fuzz today.

When you're eight and British, you want nothing more than to be a policeman. You cannot imagine anything cooler than wailing down British high streets in a jam sandwich [1], in hot prusuit of a criminal in a stripey jumper carrying a bag marked "SWAG".

Then you grow up a bit, and start watching US action movies. And then you want to be an American ex-cop, gunning down suspects with European accents in high-rise buildings whilst uttering an unending stream of witty and suitably ironic one-liners.

Then you grow up a bit more, and discover John Woo. And then you want to be SuperAsianCop, jumping sideways along church pews, firing twin Desert Eagles at rates of fire far exceeding their ammunition capacity, and following each individual bullet all the way through Mr. Generic American Villains eyeballs.

You no longer dream of playing cops and robbers.

Hot Fuzz, however, may just make you want to run down your road yelling "NeeNAHNeeNAHNeeNAH!" again.

The first half of the film is pretty much what the team behind Spaced do best - fast cuts, seeding fuses for punchlines that will go off later, side-swipes at being British, and some quite amazing outbreaks of gore.

Then things take a swerve at an impossible angle. Its difficult to state more without spoiling things, but lets just say that the casting of Edward Woodward was probably no accident.

At this point, it has to be said, the film throws all attempts at believability right out the window. But thats all right, because you'll be grinning too much to care.

Plenty of star turns here - Pegg makes a suitably intense all-action copper, Nick Frost is, well Nick Frost and gets most of the best lines, Bill Bailey does nothing at all yet steals every scene hes in, and Timothy Dalton puts in a performance of such wonderfully pantomine proportions that one can almost forgive him for Flash Gordon. And whoever plays the Village Country Doctor - I think that must be his name; he doesn't just look the part, he *is* the part. And best supporting actor goes to a Somerfield supermarket.

Hot Fuzz. Watch it. Its the Law.

[1] Reference to a colour scheme for UK Police cars used a few years back; basically an orange stripe running down the length of a white background - the "jam" in the "sandwich".

Couple of corrections: Big F, Meh CD was quoting a comparison I tried to make between Lethal Weapon and the Waltons.

Thanks for the correction Leathal Weapon crossed with the Waltons. Hmmmmmm Mel Gibson in Dungarees and driving around in a Ford T police car, "oh my gosh Mary Ellen its the bad guys" That would be funny

Gloucestershire lovely place one of my favorite counties.