1/55 Ostrich Custom

kidkorrupt

Yes, customs are still being made. The amount of available "toys" has definitely decreased the amount of custom valkyries being made, but the spirit lives on. If you were lucky enough to attend the MW Con. 03, you would have gotten to see quite a few customs up close and personal.

Yes, resin wings have a tendency to "droop" somewhat, but last time I checked no one was selling plastic 1/55 VT-1/VE-1 wings. That leaves resin, and my valkyries with custom resin wings suffer the same fate, but it is not that bad. All you have to do is run some hot water on the wings, and gently bend the tips back into place.

Jason,

I thought that I would never like another custom VT-1 as much as my own, but I have to admit that the one you made is badass. I love the weathering you did, and your Super Ostrich is definitely unique in several ways. This is the first 1/55 VT-1 I have seen in tan/orange, the weathering is very nice, and I especially like the custom head modifications and antennae node. Great job! ;)

Sincerely,

Christopher B)

Edited by ChristopherB

Awesome work J. I am still first and formost a lover of the 1/55 custom. I got one of my own in the works right now (I mean right now, as I sit here!), first one I am doing for myself in like 2 years, a 1s max nontransformable strike. Love the paint job, now I have to go with that paint job for my next vt1 custom. AWWWSOME!!

thanks all. i really appreciate the critiques and honesty whenever i post any of my customs.

i have a list of mods but am too lazy to type it up...ahhhhh, what the hell. im waiting for "once upon a time in mexico" to start anyways:

-hasegawa pilots with custom minmay

-hasegawa style custom booster antennae

-hasegawa style paintjob

-custom rob beers clear canopy w/magnets to snap into place

-custom head (new fin and rotateable antennae)

-fulcy hips and feet

-fulcy grinded down hip bar (*look at how smaller and sleeker it is, you rock rob!)

-seamless boosters

-seamless nose

-lowered nosecone lights

-mix n match of RoLo and mike salzo resin ostrich kit

-tony yao 1/48 style arms (pics tomorrow)

-anasazi decals

-WAVE round verniers

yeah, it sucks to see customs dying. i want to see more! just trying to keep the spirit of the golden age of macrossworld alive =D i love seeing customs because they are so damn inspiring. all you lurkers, post em up!

after this its time to rework skyfire and finsih the joke gbp

edit in- the owner of this and the elint is mw's Estacado

Edited by kidkorrupt

Excellent work on a classic toy - the cockpit detail is fantastic! The 1/55s may not be line-accurate in fighter mode but they sure look great for a 20-year old design. They were made in a time when toys were meant first for kids and STILL managed to be innovative and highly detailed. These will always be the toys that made Macross real for me... :-)

AWSOME!! Thanks for sharing th picts KidK. The custom valks were the original reason I became a memeber after lurking for some time. I bet that even with all the releases that the custom work will eventually get put back on the front burner in a few years.

here is the prototype arm.

hopefully these pictures will make transformation more clear

edit in-dammit, just realized i drew some of the arrows wrong. the arrow showing the hand roatation should be going the other way.

commander-this was only at mw con 3, not at otakon. take care.

post-4-1063562016_thumb.jpg

Edited by kidkorrupt

That hand mod looks awesome Jason, any idea what you're going to use for hands?

BTW, how hard was that hand mod to pull off, I'm assuming it's mostly cutting and a little bit of drilling?

hey sup man-

umm, i dunno how hard it would be for others. for me it was moderately difficult.

you have to cut the stock arm, glue it together, get rid of the seam, rescribe the panel line.

cut the stock hand, modify the other side, add in joint or whatever.

then you have to make custom hinges and drill correctly so it can open and close and is symmetrical.

hmmm, lol. i guess it was fairly hard...especially if you want the gap in the opening door on the arm to be hair thin

hey sup man-

umm, i dunno how hard it would be for others. for me it was moderately difficult.

you have to cut the stock arm, glue it together, get rid of the seam, rescribe the panel line.

cut the stock hand, modify the other side, add in joint or whatever.

then you have to make custom hinges and drill correctly so it can open and close and is symmetrical.

hmmm, lol. i guess it was fairly hard...especially if you want the gap in the opening door on the arm to be hair thin

Ahh, sounds like fun. :o

Maybe something to work my way up to... :lol:

for hands mr. tony yao (xstoys) has a pair of mystery hands that are almost completely poseable and fit perfectly for a 1/55. they can actually fit back into the arm. no more monster-big sazabi hands =D

no one seems to know where the hands came from though they look gundam-ish in style.

thanks again for all the props