Star Wars Battlefront

Druna Skass

Damn this game is a blast. It's like a SW SOCOM only with a more run and gun feel. Since you keep respawning you can just charge guns blazing into a crowed over and over. I've found the generic looking Rebel Soldier as my best person, a full auto blaster rifle is a beautiful thing.

I do have a few gripes with it though, that I hope get ironed out for the finished version.

The controls have one stick for the movement and one for looking. I hope they put an option for the left stick being foward and backward movement and look left and right, while the right stick strafes and looks up and down.

When I got into the AT-ST it was almost like godmode, they need to decrese the armor on those things.

They need to tweak the allied AI a little, I've gotten killed by one of my own snipers and had a speeder bike piloted by an ally run me over and kill me.

My only fear is that this turns out to be one of those games that gets repetetive fairly quick. Hopefully they throw in enough mission variety to keep that from happening.

And it's nice to see the X-Wing on a non-Nintendo console for once.

I've played as the Rebel Soldier and the Stormtrooper and they're fairly identical, those are the only two in the demo. So far the only diffrences I've seen with the factions are a factions specific unit. The Alliance has the smuggler, the Empire has a Stormtrooper with a jetpack and blaster shotgun, the Republic has the jet pack trooper and the Droids have that thing that turns into a wheel with a sheild in the movies.

It is a 3rd person shooting game right?

not FPS?

No, it's a FPS. The PC version is going to rock, and they're making an announcement about map and mod tools in the next few weeks!

PC versions almost always rock over the console versions (Knights of the Old Republic, despite the wait!). I've already preordered SW:BF.

Now, I haven't played the demo but after reading the difficulty of taking down an AT-ST, maybe it should be that way? Exception being you have the appropriate heavy weaponry/anti-vehicular weapons on hand. You shouldn't expect to reliably take a tank/AT-ST down with a pistol or blaster or stick... despite what RotJ (I spit on Ewoks) or Star Wars:Galaxies says.

From what I understand, it basically uses the BF1942 engine. It sounds like it is in 3rd person, hence the SOCOM comparison.

I'm tempted to get this for the Xbox depending on the execution. I'm a bit worried it'll be full of lamers who team kill. Perhaps I shouldn't worry and just get it.

-- Question --

How many players could play / time on the console version you played?

Thanks in advance.

Since you keep respawning you can just charge guns blazing into a crowed over and over.

I really despise that kinda gameplay though, where it only matters how many people you kill, but you can get killed over and over again with no consequences. In games like Jedi Outcast and Academy, you'd have tons of people going around bragging about their kills, but declining to mention that most of the corpses littering the ground where their own. It takes far less skill to kamikaze like that, than to keep yourself alive through the game.

errr, the PS2 demo of Battlefront had a large variety of characters to play on both sides.

The demo stage is the battle for endor.

Rebels can choose to be:

-Rebel Foot soldier

-Sniper

-Vangard Soldier (missile launcher)

-Wookie

-Pilot

-There may have been one that I missed, not sure

Empire Forces can be:

-Storm Trooper

-Sand Trooper (Missile Launcher)

-Speeder Bike Trooper (Sniper)

-Shock Trooper (I *think* that's what they're called)

-Imperial Officer/ AT/ST Pilot

That many choices for just the demo mission. They all pretty much have the same movement characteristics, the only difference is in their weaponry and appearance. Any of the characters can pilot any of the vehicles. Speederbikes are fun to drive, but hard as hell to control, and forget trying to shoot someone without coming to a complete stop. AT/ST Walkers Have loads of armor, and just hitting the area AROUND your target will send them flying, but the guns overheat fast and the walkers are uber slow and ponderous. If missile launcher soliders are nearby they'll make your life a living hell (about a 50/50 rate of success around them).

I would very much liken it to SOCOM (both of which I've played). With the directional pad you can give instructions to the soldiers around you. You do all of your weapon selecting and shooting with the L and R buttons, with the main buttons having various other functions.

Kinda cool because it issues awards at the end of the stage and keeps track of some pretty cool stats (the character you most encountered, etc)

Edited by Skull Leader

Rebels can choose to be:

-Rebel Foot soldier

-Sniper

-Wookie

-Pilot

Empire Forces can be:

-Storm Trooper

What no Ewoks? !!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

I wanna play an Ewok, so I can take down AT/STs and squads of crack Empirial Storm Troopers with ease :p .

Graham

It's using the BF1942 engine, isn't it?  :blink:

And for some reason, that picture with the guys in costume playing it cracks me up.  :lol:

:p I would be the knuckle head in the biker scout outfit playing Battlefronts. I belong to a costume group called the 501st Legion, who has chapters all over the world. We dress up as the villians from the Star Wars films for media and service events.

The Bay Area chapter and my group from the Sacramento dressed up for a Lucas Arts media promotions for video game press. The funny thing is that all of us were hesitant to play the game at first as we did not want to be unprofessional (ie we were there to work and not fool around). However, Lucas Arts staff and reporters thought it would be cool to have those in costumes play out the characters in the video game. Along with event for Lucas Arts, our group also did a little play acting for an Electric Playground piece. Check out the following links.

Lucas Arts Star Wars Battlefront media preview

Electric Playground and Lucasarts video shoot

"Battlefront" segment on Electric Playground

so PC ver. is FPS?

(sorry for keep asking, i want to make sure I am buying something that i want)

It may do both. Obviously the console version Cheuy played was in 3rd person, but the vidoes I've seen of the PC version were all done in 1st person. Perhaps it's like Hidden & Dangerous 2, where you can chose which viewpoint you want to play with on the fly.

Rebels can choose to be:

-Rebel Foot soldier

-Sniper

-Wookie

-Pilot

Empire Forces can be:

-Storm Trooper

What no Ewoks? !!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

I wanna play an Ewok, so I can take down AT/STs and squads of crack Empirial Storm Troopers with ease :p .

Graham

lol, there were plenty of Ewoks running amok throughout the stage, but I don't think you can play them

Hmmm, since I own both a PC and X-Box, I'm thinking of picking up one version or the other.

Oh just get the PC version already! Aside from the fact that the PC version allows more players on a LAN or online, I'll be looking for other MW'ers to blast over the internet. PC is where it's at.

And Ladic, I bet they will release the PC demo shortly after the game hits the store shelves. That seems to be the way many demos are relased these days.

Hmm.. well, if it runs on a BF1942-like engine, and has vehicles.. my big question that may determine whether I buy or not... how bout spacecraft, ie X-wings, etc, or at least snowspeeders? I've been tempted to get BF1942, but never got around to it. I know there was a BF1942 Star Wars modpack, maybe LucasFarts finally took advice from fans, and used some of their ideas? :p

OK, Stupid question time... is this game multiplayer only or will it have single player capability?

I keep seeing the TV commercial that has the split second cut of the ewok getting blasted right in the head and I seem to want this game more and more... then again any game that features death to ewoks is a must have in my book.

OK, Stupid question time... is this game multiplayer only or will it have single player capability?

It does both, but lets be honest. Who buys these games to play the single player mode? :p

Incidentally, I read in IGN.com's review that you can command the bots in multiplayer mode. I don't know how smart they'll be, but I thought that was kind of neat.