Tokyo Game Show 2004

Graham

Well, the 2004 Tokyo Game Show (Japan's biggest annual game show) is only a couple of weeks away. It runs from September 24th to 26th.

Will any of Macrossworld's Japan-based members be attending to give us a report?

I'm hoping that a new Macross game for the PS2 will be announced at the show. I've been searching various Japanese gaming sites, including SEGA's site, Bandai Games site and the Tokyo Game Show Site, but so far there is no mention anywhere of a new Macross Game :(. SEGA's website even has a list of what games they will be displaying at the show and no Macross game is mentioned :(:( .

It's been nearly a year since the first PS2 Macross game as released, so it's about time we got a new game.

Graham

It's Macross - isn't it like a 3-4 year wait usually between games? :p

Not really, for recent Macross console games the release dates have been: -

VFX for PS1 = 1997

DYRL for SS = 1997

VF-X2 for PS1 = 1999

DYRL for PS1 = 1999

MPGE for PS1 = 2000

M3 for DC = 2001

SDF Macross for PS2 = 2003

And the reason many of us suspect a new PS2 Macross game may be coming soon is because the YF-19, YF-21, SV-51 & VF-0S were pulled at the last minute from the 2003 SDF Macross game. So thinking goes that they were pulled so they could be used in the second game in the series.

Graham

SV-51, vf-0S, yf-21, yf-19...wait a minute will the next Macross game cover the storyline of Macross Zero and Macross Plus like Sdf MAcross and DYRL stories in the first or what? :o

Nobody knows for sure.

All we know is that those extra Macross Plus & macross Zero mecha were originally listed on several Japanese and English sites, including the Compendium as being in the game prior to release, but the listings were removed shortly before the game was released.

Also, there was a Bandai movie advertising the game which did show theose extra mecha. I've saved it and you can download it here. Be warned, it is 25.5MB. The YF-19, YF-21, VF-0S and SV-51 appear near the end.

Graham

One thing that confuses me about that video, it keeps switching back and forth between versions of the macross, one shot its in the DYRL config, the other the TV config (with the carriers but the movie hull). Maybe it will show the transition, hmm? Start out in the TV config, run through the TV story line in that config, get trashed, rebuilt then sent back out temporarily in the new config. So then you get to fight the "battles" of the movie, maybe as a stunt pilot, or maybe they will say that the movie was just a cover up for an actual battle that took place, using footage from the battle in the movie. Ah macross conspriacy theories, gotta love 'em.

I think the idea behind the 'variations' is because you could select which story line to follow; DYRL (ARMD 01) or the TV series (Prometheus). Like how you see both versions of BaDolza's flagship.

Personally I'd love to see studio line art with the DYRL? hull with the carrier attatchments.

And does this mean the VF-0's official name is 'Pheonix?'

SV-51, vf-0S, yf-21, yf-19...wait a minute will the next Macross game cover the storyline of  Macross Zero and Macross Plus like Sdf MAcross and DYRL stories in the first or what?  :o

Nobody knows for sure.

All we know is that those extra Macross Plus & macross Zero mecha were originally listed on several Japanese and English sites, including the Compendium as being in the game prior to release, but the listings were removed shortly before the game was released.

Also, there was a Bandai movie advertising the game which did show theose extra mecha. I've saved it and you can download it here. Be warned, it is 25.5MB. The YF-19, YF-21, VF-0S and SV-51 appear near the end.

Graham

WOW awesome video, thanks Graham, I like the portraits of this version much better, I'm afraid that they didn't keep those.

I hope we'll see the macross plus and Zero mechs in the next Macross game. :)

25 MB are a joke for mine connection :D

SV-51, vf-0S, yf-21, yf-19...wait a minute will the next Macross game cover the storyline of  Macross Zero and Macross Plus like Sdf MAcross and DYRL stories in the first or what?  :o

Nobody knows for sure.

Graham

Interesting. I did not know that.

So, is the PS2 game worth getting? I can pick it up relatively cheaply second-hand. Only thing is, I don't have a PS2, though I could maybe use my girlfriend's brother's one...

Whoa, beautiful! :o

It was probably cut back then to not give away Macross Zero. A follow up would be viable provided the first game sold well.

I think I should take some time off and see TGS but I don't know anyone well in Japan. :(

Perhaps the Japanese members here can help us out.

Man, I really need to get a PS2!!! :D

Can someone who knows Japanese translate the text below?

Also, Knight26 Boxer is correct. Remember, the original PS2 game was released about a year ago. There are 20 missions in all, 12 TV version and 8 movie version. You can go through either storyline, but within that storyline, you have to complete the missions in order. Without knowing Japanese I can't tell for sure, but the game basically presents SDF TV and DYRL as alternate versions without reference to the "movie within a movie" concept.

BTW, we've got another thread devoted to the existing game here.

post-6-1095965326.jpg

I'm way ahead of you guy on this I plan on being ther both Sat+Sun. . .

Trust me, I'm on the hunt for anything macross related. . .

Also I've got a new digital camera to post anything interesting. . .

This will be my last one before I move to San Diego. . .

It feels kind of odd having to leave Japan after being here 11 years. . . :(:(

DARKWIND, that's great news about you attending TGS. I was beginning to fear that no MWers would be able to make it.

Even if there is no new Macross game on display, please try your best to ask the staff at the Bandai and Sega booths if one is in development. Bang some heads together if necessary :lol:

Graham

I'll see what I can do. . .

I've been wanting a new Macross game for a while. . .

Especially with the latest planes (VF-19, 21, 22, 4, etc. . .)

It could be a two disk set. . .

Pick your color scheme, weapons, wing men, edit names, squad names, emblem/patch, location/time(Zero, Plus, Seven, OVAs). . .

Yeah it sounds like SW Battlefront but it wouild be nice. . .

Hell I would like pilot the enemy mecha right about now. . .

(you know pick a side and join the fight)

It seems nobody has touched on that yet. . .

It might be sweet to pilot Zentradi power armour, battlepods, fighters etc. . .

You know go up against the "Aces" Roy, Max, Hikaru. . .

Attack the SDF-1, and crush the puny protoculture microns. . .

Or be won over by the song and fight for "Da'Cultcha". . .

WOAH, I better stay on topic . . .

But sure I will get any info I can. . .

Maybe I will throw "Macrossworld Reporter" in there and see if that helps. . .

B))B))B))

Edited by DARKWIND

Sorry bro's NO news. . . . :(

Nothing on any Macross games. . .

First, I tried,

NADA. . .

Then, my friend who speaks fluent Japanese tried. . .

Nothing. . .

Just kept getting "Gomen-nesai, Naii-desu shiranaii, No plans. . ." :(

But we did try to shoot my ideas by them. . .

I don't think it will go anywhere, but hey who knows. . . . .

Bummer........ :(

Perhaps last year's PS2 Macross game didn't generate enough sales for them to think it was worthwhile to make a sequel?

Or perhaps they are just waiting until after the end of Macross Zero to announce a new game.

Anyway, I am not optimistic.

Graham

Yeah I would like to AM2 or Namco do the next macross game . . .

Think about it any one of the VF's in Ace Combat redered graphics. . . :rolleyes:

Sweet!!!!!

:rolleyes:

And like I said give us the ability to choose sides and use enemy mechs. . .

• 2 weeks later...