DRYL remastered DVD release

the_foul_fowl

I've got the L.E. boxset sitting right of front of me.

YET. I don't want to open it up.

Is there something wrong with me?

Hahaha, I'm in the same boat as you. I have it sitting right in front of me as well, but I can't seem to get myself to open it.

Edit: I'm actually thinking of buying a second copy of the movie...just so I don't have to open the one i have now.... It's what I ended up doing with the Animeigo box sets for Macross TV.

Edited by Oihan

Oh my god open it! Who cares about collectable misprinted books, open that box & enjoy that moive!!!

I use a modded Pioneer DV-525 that I buoght before the AnimEigo set came out. It's ancient, but still works like a champ. Though it doesn't like CD's much anymore, it's great with DVD's. I've always wanted to firmware my DVD burner, but have absolutely no idea where to start, and fear accidentally locking it. Don't suppose they sell decent pre-opened up DVD burners that are good to go out of the box?

As for the comparison pic's, I keep reading negative reviews about the remaster & grain, but I'll be damned if that doesn't look both sharper & clearer than the old R2.

Edited by Keith

As for the comparison pic's, I keep reading negative reviews about the remaster & grain, but I'll be damned if that doesn't look both sharper & clearer than the old R2.

Ah. So I'm not going mad. My download finished, and while I chalk the over brightness to incompetence in the capture (also the reason for incorrect aspect ratio), I really can't say I'm that impressed. It looks to me like they focused on M+ and had a handful of guys on DYRL. Several scenes are really grainy. Though this might not be as noticeable on a conventional set up. Oddly, several shots are really smooth. My guess is that whatever method they were using caused massive loss of detail in the backgrounds, forcing them to only use it in shots already lacking, since the smooth shots are mostly character close-ups, with minimal background. While I generally have no problem with a film like texture, it really shows. I've never remembered the film being this grainy. As for the rest of the remaster, you could've fooled me. The screenshots make it look like all they did was some color correction and fudging with the contrast levels. Not that I remember it needing much to begin with. It's definitely brighter. Maybe too bright (can't tell with the raw).There's also some shots where here appear to be soft spots in the scene. Others seem to ghost a little. It looks better than whatever reject source the recent fansub came from, but it hardly looks like a real remaster.

It's clearer, but I think that has more to do with the contrast messing. Another thing I noticed is the amount of dirt left in. Namely the scratches on the cels. Whether this was a conscience decision to 'preserve' to cel animation look or just plain laziness, I don't know.

The sound also seemed like they tried remixing the stereo. It just sounded "different", for lack of a better word. I'll have to compare to my NLA copy.

Screenshots aside, I'm disappointed. I was even wondering if the rippers ripped the wrong version, and this was an unrestored theatrical. There are some shots that look great, and the interlacing problem the old set had is thankfully gone. That's the best thing I'm seeing here. The brightened has brought some details obscured before, like the space shots and concert, if at the cost of grain. Others, however, have a very ghost like appearance, and I wonder how much of this is actually cleaning and not messing with the intended look when it comes to the tint changes and bright levels. I know some of it might be the encode (a 2.5 gig xvid), but still... This certainly isn't the Gunbuster, M+, or even the Macross TV remasters. If anything, this looks like someone just messing around with AVIsynth like my Gekigangar project.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

This sort of stuff is what we do everyday at work. I wonder if they just re-transfered the film using a telecine. It would make the most sense to re-transfer it at an uncompressed rate and just like anything, it is usually color corrected as you scan. however they might have color corrected after the transfer. That was my conclusion as well, that they color corrected it differently this second time around. At my job, we scan film digitally using telecine Rank Cinetel machines. And although we dont have a true HD transfer, an uncompressed transfer at 4:2:2 is as close as you are gonna get to one. So I think this is what they probably went with this time around.

Edited by Solscud007

That's what I was thinking. This seems like merely a new telecine transfer with a little correcting. It looks like they added some edge enhancement too, which is really unnecessary and sad to see in this day and age. It's really inconsistent.

It seems there's the actual .VOB files of the remastered DVD also floating around and not just the Rip. So I downloaded one to compare to the RIP - and while there's a bit of grain the picture quality *is* much better than the DVDRip - nowhere near the same amount of grain and even the constrast seems better. I have to assume they screwed up the Rip somehow.

That being said yeah it doesn't feel they did a very thourough remasterisation though it seem to look better than the old DVD. Comparatively yeah it doesn't seems to look as good as the Macross TV, Plus or Seven remaster (The Plus and Seven looks so good I'd really wish someone would redo a fansub :lol: )

-Sergorn

Edited by Sergorn

It seems there's the actual .VOB files of the remastered DVD also floating around and not just the Rip. So I downloaded one to compare to the RIP - and while there's a bit of grain the picture quality *is* much better than the DVDRip - nowhere near the same amount of grain and even the constrast seems better. I have to assume they screwed up the Rip somehow.

That being said yeah it doesn't feel they did a very thourough remasterisation though it seem to look better than the old DVD. Comparatively yeah it doesn't seems to look as good as the Macross TV, Plus or Seven remaster (The Plus and Seven looks so good I'd really wish someone would redo a fansub :lol: )

-Sergorn

Stop making me want the Plus & 7 remasters!

Well, I decided to finally open it late last night and I watched it on my PC (using one of those region-free programs). I must say, it looks absolutely amazing! This grain you talk about, Mercurial Morpheus, seems pretty much nonexistent to me on the DVD.

I also tried to add subtitles using Hurin's Bandai/Emotion R2 subtitles. After I used DVD Decrypter I went to see what the quality was like on the rip; the quality isn't as nice as it was on the DVD itself; there's a lot more grain. I'm thinking the tool used to rip the DVD isn't all that high quality...? Anyway, for whatever reason, I can't seem to get the subtitles to work! I followed all the steps step by step and I still can't get the subtitles to show up. One thing I have noticed though is that one of the files is named differently. "VTS_01_1 - 0x80 - Audio - AC3 - 2ch - 48kHz - DRC - Japanese - DELAY 0ms.AC3" is the file I have, but Hurin's 'project' asks for "VTS_01_1 - 0x80 - Audio - AC3 - 2ch - 48kHz - DRC - Japanese - DELAY 66ms.AC3." Selecting my file as is doesn't seem to work. Any ideas, guys?

Thanks!

Edited by Oihan

The subtitles burn fine for me due to Hurin's tutorial with the new DVD. You just gotta point to the "new" audio file in DVD Lab.

It's just the subtitle timing does not correspond to the HD remaster DVD.

That's what I did, I pointed it to the "new" file and it'd take it. However, after all was said and done the subtitles still did not appear.

It took 5 hours in my case. Adding 500ms every 3-4 minutes of the film. I used a software hopefully to "timeshift".

I don't know if somebody is doing a new sub for the remaster from the start. In case just send me a PM and I'll send the modified file (it's not my file anyway)

(.SRT file or anything, I can convert I think)

Edited by Saotome

Well, I somehow managed to get the subtitles to work...only now they're out of sync...and by about 3 or so seconds it seems. I tried the 'Offset' feature within DVD-lab PRO but it hasn't helped at all. I can't seem to find a way to preview the subtitles before I compile the DVD...and there's no way in hell I'm gonna adjust them all one by one...compile after compile just so they're all right. There's got to be a faster way of adjusting them all.

Well, I decided to finally open it late last night and I watched it on my PC (using one of those region-free programs). I must say, it looks absolutely amazing! This grain you talk about, Mercurial Morpheus, seems pretty much nonexistent to me on the DVD.

I also tried to add subtitles using Hurin's Bandai/Emotion R2 subtitles. After I used DVD Decrypter I went to see what the quality was like on the rip; the quality isn't as nice as it was on the DVD itself; there's a lot more grain. I'm thinking the tool used to rip the DVD isn't all that high quality...?

That's not how such tools work. I'm guessing that when they ripped it, they messed with the encode, sharpening and brightening it more (the raw is too bright), hence why the raw accentuates the DVD's problems. It also depends on your display. I'm watching on an LCD, and a 32" Loewe CRT DTV.

As for the subs, I'm guessing the fps might be different since the new disc is progressive.

Maybe I'll post pics of the raw later. My vob download is finished as I wrote this, so I'll see what an untouched source looks like.

Looking at it, it is better than the raw, but not by much. The main difference was that it wasn't overbrightened. The windowboxing is still there. The grain is still very evident. The worst though, and only a few have mentioned it, is the disgusting soft spots. It really is unsightly. Thankfully, it doesn't appear too often, but I've never seen anything like it.

Here's an example. It should be obvious, but, if not, look at Misa's left hand.

snapshot20071229194551.bmp

Well I'll wait until Hurin doesn another srt file with the new timings since the man works authoring DVDs professionally.

Personally I use DVDFab to remove some of the copy protection, burn to a DVD9 and then DVD Decrypter to remove the rest for an encryption and region free master. I found only using DVD Decrypter doesn't get it all and often leaves "issues" that I tend to attribute to the extra layer of copy protection on Japanese R2 releases, but both cleans it all out very nicely.

Once I have a "clean" copy of the Disc (not shrunk) on a DVD9 then I proceed from there. My subbed R2 release of the Bandai Perfect Edition came out quite nicely, with the exception of the odd letterboxing from the disc.

Got mine today. It is definately a double edge sword of a release. More detail, but more grain. Less blue, but all other colors are a bit more subdued as well. The problem that bothers me isn't any of that though, it's the audio on the set. While the stereo for the most part sounds great, there seem to be audio pops all through it. Maybe it's only noticable if you listen witha decent pair of earphones, but it is definately there.

Check out 9:41 seconds into the film (Misa yelling at Hikaru), and there's one of the most noticable audio oddities. More dissapointing yet still, Disc 2's audio is total trash. While it's PCM, it's totally unremastered, & sounds as bad as ADV's TV Japanese audio track. I just can't help but wonder why BV doesn't love Macross. While it doesn't do Gundam profit, it's still been good to them.

Overall, while I'm still glad I got the set, the line art materials are reakin' awesome, & probably would have cost just as much, if not more, to track down artbooks with all that material, the HD remaster definately leaves me wondering why it didn't get a full lovingly supervised treatment. Maybe I just feel spoiled by the Blade Runner remaster, but I expected a similar level of attention here. I need to compare with my FX disc next week on the audio though. I just don't remember DYRL with so many audio pops in it.

Would I buy it again if BV released it over here in the same shape with Subtitles? Yes, but more out of license support.

Got mine today. It is definately a double edge sword of a release. More detail, but more grain. Less blue, but all other colors are a bit more subdued as well. The problem that bothers me isn't any of that though, it's the audio on the set. While the stereo for the most part sounds great, there seem to be audio pops all through it. Maybe it's only noticable if you listen witha decent pair of earphones, but it is definately there.

Check out 9:41 seconds into the film (Misa yelling at Hikaru), and there's one of the most noticable audio oddities. More dissapointing yet still, Disc 2's audio is total trash. While it's PCM, it's totally unremastered, & sounds as bad as ADV's TV Japanese audio track. I just can't help but wonder why BV doesn't love Macross. While it doesn't do Gundam profit, it's still been good to them.

Overall, while I'm still glad I got the set, the line art materials are reakin' awesome, & probably would have cost just as much, if not more, to track down artbooks with all that material, the HD remaster definately leaves me wondering why it didn't get a full lovingly supervised treatment. Maybe I just feel spoiled by the Blade Runner remaster, but I expected a similar level of attention here. I need to compare with my FX disc next week on the audio though. I just don't remember DYRL with so many audio pops in it.

Would I buy it again if BV released it over here in the same shape with Subtitles? Yes, but more out of license support.

It looks as though they increase the color saturations and in so doing it brings out the grain of the master print. One of the things they do here when remastering is they digitally clean up the film stock first, then work on removing any flaws and coloring issues. I don't think BigWest spent the money to do that. I suspect if the title on the property were clear and they had released it worldwide like back in 1984, this remaster would have had a lot more money poured into it.

Hi All,

Sorry I've been so quiet! ^_^

I haven't gotten my copy of this release yet. It may be waiting for me in my office. But I'm trying to stay away from that evil place over the holiday break. :)

I do intend to re-time the subtitles appropriately. And the subtitles themselves will be improved a tiny bit (gotten some feedback on them recently).

I can't make any promises that this will happen immediately. But I'm hoping sometime before the end of January.

In the meantime, nobody should expect the subtitles for the previous releases to work very well at all. In a best case scenario, they will be uniformly off a certain amount. In that case, shifting them all that amount will be relatively trivial (after I remember everything I've forgotten over the last year or two about working with DVDLab Pro, etc.). But, I suspect that the timing issue will be more complicated and the gap will actually increase over the duration of the movie. If that is the case, we're largely hosed and I'll essentially have to start at "square one" again as I did so long ago. In that case, there are formulas that can be applied to get it somewhat accurate, but then you need to "nudge" each one, compile, burn, test. . . repeat. . . and it's a huge pain in the butt. So bear with me.

Someone above mentioned that DVD decrypter made their video look more grainy. That shouldn't be the case. It should make no changes to the MPEG stream itself. Having said that, since DVD Decrypter is an older program that is no longer being updated, it probably won't suffice on its own to remove all encryption for this new release. Someone posted about using DVD Fab as well as DVD Decrypter. That's probably a good bet. But I won't be able to give any more advice from a first-person perspective until I've got the DVD in my hands.

Good luck out there!

Best,

H

Hi All,

Sorry I've been so quiet! ^_^

I haven't gotten my copy of this release yet. It may be waiting for me in my office. But I'm trying to stay away from that evil place over the holiday break. :)

I do intend to re-time the subtitles appropriately. And the subtitles themselves will be improved a tiny bit (gotten some feedback on them recently).

I can't make any promises that this will happen immediately. But I'm hoping sometime before the end of January.

In the meantime, nobody should expect the subtitles for the previous releases to work very well at all. In a best case scenario, they will be uniformly off a certain amount. In that case, shifting them all that amount will be relatively trivial (after I remember everything I've forgotten over the last year or two about working with DVDLab Pro, etc.). But, I suspect that the timing issue will be more complicated and the gap will actually increase over the duration of the movie. If that is the case, we're largely hosed and I'll essentially have to start at "square one" again as I did so long ago. In that case, there are formulas that can be applied to get it somewhat accurate, but then you need to "nudge" each one, compile, burn, test. . . repeat. . . and it's a huge pain in the butt. So bear with me.

Someone above mentioned that DVD decrypter made their video look more grainy. That shouldn't be the case. It should make no changes to the MPEG stream itself. Having said that, since DVD Decrypter is an older program that is no longer being updated, it probably won't suffice on its own to remove all encryption for this new release. Someone posted about using DVD Fab as well as DVD Decrypter. That's probably a good bet. But I won't be able to give any more advice from a first-person perspective until I've got the DVD in my hands.

Good luck out there!

Best,

H

I would have thought there would have been a faster way than that. I couldn't imagine working on 2 hrs worth of subtitles making sure they're all timed right. As for the whole more grain thing, I was looking at the results of using DVDLab Pro...and I think I had the capacity set wrong (dunno if it makes a difference or not but)...had it on DVD-5 and not DVD-9. I'm thinking maybe it was shrinking the movie to fit a DVD-5 disc.

Hurin, when you say burn...are you actually using DVDs to test? If so, I'd suggest creating an image and using Daemon Tools instead. It's what I was doing trying to get your R2 subtitles on the rip.

I just checked the FX release earlier, and all of the audio pops & noises were there too. Since that's a rip of the older release, it looks like these are just part of the audio, made clearer with whatever slight rematering the audio has gone through in the new release. The out of place couple of frames of Bodolza's chamber decintagrating, then skipping back to the beginning of that process is definately a new problem though, and a very odd one at that. This was definately the remastering B-Team.

Also a question about the subtitle burning faq, I read through it a bit, and the one thing I didn't see answered, was whether or not the burner drive had to be region hacked first. I know there's a limited amount of times you can change the region on a drive, but does this process bypass that at all?

Yeah, I can't help but wonder how the Bodolza error made it past QC. It's so obvious too, especially once you know it's there. Shame it would probably be doo much of a pain to correct it with older footage.

Keith,

Region encoding is removed from the DVD during the process of subtitling it. There's no need to change the region of the DVD drive. Not even prior to the decrypting step(s).

H

I am waiting for this DYRL big time never seen it. Just ordered macross t.v. series with english subs and Macross plus box set and macross plus movie edition. I was a big robotech fan, but found this site and learned the macross was the original and robo was the basterd child of macross, southern cross and mospeada. I wish I could find macross zero with english sub.

I am waiting for this DYRL big time never seen it. Just ordered macross t.v. series with english subs and Macross plus box set and macross plus movie edition. I was a big robotech fan, but found this site and learned the macross was the original and robo was the basterd child of macross, southern cross and mospeada. I wish I could find macross zero with english sub.

i got all of my macross episodes from www.anime-eden.com, you'll need premium tho'. i got sdf macross off of torrent but i posted the torrent on a-e forums and now it's on their premium servers. flashback 2012 has no subs tho'.

if you're talkin' about a dvd set, you can get the import dvd here.

http://www.discountanimedvd.com/detail.asp...ateName=Macross

it's encoded for region 1-5.

Edited by DJ Loe Kee