My custom 1/48 Enigma

Majestic

And lastly Fighter. Took a hasty photo without pushing the left tailfin down all the way. Or adjusting the head lasers properly. And too lazy to put the pegs back in position for the hip joint.. :p

post-4-1102106133_thumb.jpg

Edited by Majestic

Thanks to Anasazi for the awesome decals. And thanks to Kurt's excellent custom Enigmas (my name's also Kurt), for inspiration and visual guidance in the paintjob.

I officially hate MicroSet and MicroSol. I Microsol'd the hell out of those things and they still refused to flatten out in a few places (most noteably the Gunpod).

excellent work, so this is one of your first airbrushed kits? wow incredible first try. this is still one of my favorite customs out there.

keep of the very good work.

chris

AWSOME vf 1s Custom!!!!!! :o soo envious :p . I saw the up side down un-spacey decal on the gun pod in the third pic. Does any know a way to not make a decal not glossy?? Man I wish I had a custom like that in my collection

From Rich :)

Edited by goldenboy_forever

Thanks for the comments. Some parts/areas came out rougher than others. I had thought I'd finished the whole thing but assembled it and realized I hadn't painted the LERVS (?), those panels that extend forward of the chest intakes. Had to take it all apart and paint those.

I used Mr. Surfacer thinned with a little too much laquer thinner for the prime coat, and I think it ate away at some of the plastic in a few places, specifically the arms. Most of the figure is smooth, but a few places have a rough, sandpaper like feel.

My set up is a Badger Crescendo, a small compressor and a custom-built spray hood/booth in my garage. I used Mr. Surfacer for the primer (which did an awesome job, despite the issue with laquer thinner). I used Tamiya acrylics thinned 1:1 for the paint job. Then a coat of future, decals, and a final coat of dullcote laquer. Pretty standar procedure.

The nukes I decided needed a special paintjob to match the Engima scheme.

The U.N. Spacy decal on the gunpod is the way it's supposed to be, far as I know. :p

:o Nice! Very Nice! B))

That's damn good for a first try at air brushing. :D

Awesome work, Majestic. Way past cool. B))

I like it! For your first time with an airbrush, I'd say you've got quite the talent. But in the future, you may want to sand the underside of the chestplate a bit so you don't get the paint scraping off the top of the heatshield. Regardless, I must bow down to your superior skills. Keep it up and keep posting the pics!

:o

One of your 1st airbrush "victims" ? Hard to believe.

How long did you take to do this btw?

PS: As much as I like the Minmay Guard , Blue Roses and Enigma, is anyone gonna make a new paint scheme? Those are getting real old.

Yeah, I shoulda sanded under the chestplate. That's one technique I completely forgot about. I'm doubtful that I could get a paint job that would stick well on the heatshield no matter what, however. I started with an original 1/48 Hikaru 1-A, so yes, my Enigma has a case of nosecone leprosy. :p

I said it's "one of my first" airbrush jobs, meaning I've airbrushed two projects total before this one, and both were nowhere near as time-consuming, just a small gundam model and a semi-aborted 1/55 VF project.

It didn't take forever, but it wasn't a quick process, probably to the tune of about 20 hours or so over a month.

• 4 weeks later...

I'va always loved the Enigma scheme, and I still do. But then again, I drool over any and all customs, especially since I don't own an airbrusher (nor do I currently have the space). Every single model I have done has been spray cans and hand-painted. Hmm, maybe someday I'll pull them out of storage and take some pics.

Edit in: Yes, the decals on the gunpod are correct. They are supposed to be readable (right-side-up) when in fighter-mode.

Edited by Jedi Knight