WIP: Alternate Weapons Pods for VF-31

Sanity is Optional

Missile Pod done:

Shapeways

1:60 STL files 1:72 STL files

Gunpod hardpoint clip done:

Shapeways

STL file

Thanks @Xigfrid for sharing his DX hardpoint CAD info for the clip.

@valhary has made a resin cast for those interested.

Original message below:

Xigfrid inspired me to make use of my CAD software, and so I'm working up alternate pods for the VF-31, since I don't want my 31a using a damn drone charger.

First step, which is done, is to make a basic block-out of the outside of the pod in it's stowed shape.

f5AhYuG.jpg

Up next I'm going to try and make the simpler of the alternate pods shown in the master file (p76-77): the cluster missile pod (as they don't need to bend apart in the middle). Unsure quite how I want to do the hinged missile doors, might call for a brass rod running down the side as a hinge. If that goes well, I'll try the beam cannon unit. 

Probably not going to do the projection unit, as I'm not a fan of the look, and honestly curves are a giant PITA to model up in my CAD software.

Once I'm done I'll put the STPs and Parasolids up on a filesharing platform and upload the stuff to Shapeways as well.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

Well, I'm going to try and match the illustrations the best I can while maintaining shape and function. In the case of the missile pod that means missile inserts and opening doors mainly, and a pretty simple exterior. Debating if I want to have the missiles be removable and complete as an option, or just do a 1-piece tray underneath with missile heads molded in.

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

The dual cannon back pack is cool but I suppose that model isn't wielding a regular gunpod is it?

Actually, if you look you could theoretically swap the drone charger in for one side of the cannon pod (they share the same mid-section), but it'd be pointing the wrong way.

Any of the missile pack will have problem with attaching the 31 or at least it will look weird if it can't be split. I guess they did that adjustment seeing how it was off looking on the 30s when not handheld.

Anyway, excited for this project. Hope it is ready when the 31a arrives. Any of the packs is welcome

51 minutes ago, Sildani said:

Looks nice! Don’t forget to include a place for the gunpod. 

Unfortunately, by the lineart none of these alternate weapon pods have a place for the gunpod.

After I'm done with the cannons and missile pod I think I'll work up an alternate side-pod to replace the drone charger, but to put it on you'll have to open up the middle section, which appears to be screwed and glued shut.

At least the VF-31 still has the arm guns?

Arm guns, Head guns, those pod beam cannons... that should be MORE than enough. Failing that run the gunpods under the wings like the older VF's did

11 minutes ago, NZEOD said:

Arm guns, Head guns, those pod beam cannons... that should be MORE than enough. Failing that run the gunpods under the wings like the older VF's did

That's a great idea, ought to be easy enough to design a part that'll slot over the gun and let it sit on one of the wing mounts.

10 minutes ago, NZEOD said:

1/72 as well?

... please?

We'll see, since it's almost certainly going to be more complicated than just scaling everything. Hopefully it's just re-working the dimensions. I do have a 1/72 Bandai VF-31J I can work off of.

Here's today's WIP, added the midpoint protrusion, cutouts for the missiles, and the missile doors.

It's pretty close to the lineart, with the exception that the rear set of missiles is 8 cells long rather than 7. I tried 7, but it actually looked further from the art, it seems the drawn pod is a bit shorter, which means it won't work as well in fighter mode underneath (big gap). So I decided to add an extra set of missiles.

DEB1riC.jpg

When I was thinking of redoing the pods, there was one imperative condition that came to my mind: the new pods should stay retracted in battroid mod.

If you say that the pod can be shorter to match the line art, but there is a gap bugging you in fighter mod, the solution would be to add a latch that would fill the gap in fighter mode, but can be retracted so the pod stays under the shoulders in Battroid.

I don't think it could stay retracted in battroid anyway, though I can check tomorrow how much shorter it would need to be. (To match lineart it's ~6mm shorter).

I did notice that I need to make the missile hatches more or less flush with the rest of the pod to make it stow properly in fighter mode, so I need to re-do the missile doors.

That was quick. ;)

Any chance that it can be displayed like this in Battroid mode? 

FIGURE-005738_01.jpg

item_0000010693_w8Q88hg9_05.jpg

I know it just needed to be rotated, should the length and design should be 'symmetrical'? And by doing so, is it veering off too much from the lineart?

Going by the art it wouldn't work too well, it's decidedly asymmetric and the launch is going towards the top of the tube rather than the front.

I could try and work up another that mimics the VF-30 pod I suppose, though I'd rather do that after the beam cannon pod and alternate side-pod.

Checked the fit on the weapons pod, and altered the missile doors to where it ought to fit properly in fighter mode (both with and without super parts). If you want to deploy in battroid mode I'd suggest having it be fore-aft rather than left-right.

As to being stowable in battroid, going to say that one's flat out not possible without removing half the pod.

Hey Xigfrid, as someone with more experience in this, you have any suggestions on what wall thickness I ought to be using for the plastic? Right now I have it set at 2mm, but that's pretty beefy considering the size of the pod itself.

Here's today's WIP:

JUQLr8q.jpg

Up next I think I'm going to make the missile trays a bit deeper, and the missiles taller and maybe larger, they look a bit tiny in there.

I'm still thinking over how to hinge the missile doors and where to separate the top and bottom parts of the main housing.

2 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Checked the fit on the weapons pod, and altered the missile doors to where it ought to fit properly in fighter mode (both with and without super parts). If you want to deploy in battroid mode I'd suggest having it be fore-aft rather than left-right.

As to being stowable in battroid, going to say that one's flat out not possible without removing half the pod.

Hey Xigfrid, as someone with more experience in this, you have any suggestions on what wall thickness I ought to be using for the plastic? Right now I have it set at 2mm, but that's pretty beefy considering the size of the pod itself.

For a flat face, 2mm is the minimum thickness to obtain strength, under 2mm the plastic becomes flexible and at 1mm you have a high risk of breakage, I highly don't recommend to never ever use 0.7mm with  WSF. But you can consider the global design for the thickness, for instance if you make a "tube" design, then you can make a 1mm wall and the part will be strong: because the total thickness is 2mm.

For the Pod, you can make 1.2 -1.4mm and you will be ok, or if you want to use 1mm thickness, you will need internal reinforcements at regular intervals to keep the part from warping.

8 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

For a flat face, 2mm is the minimum thickness to obtain strength, under 2mm the plastic becomes flexible and at 1mm you have a high risk of breakage, I highly don't recommend to never ever use 0.7mm with  WSF. But you can consider the global design for the thickness, for instance if you make a "tube" design, then you can make a 1mm wall and the part will be strong: because the total thickness is 2mm.

For the Pod, you can make 1.2 -1.4mm and you will be ok, or if you want to use 1mm thickness, you will need internal reinforcements at regular intervals to keep the part from warping.

Thanks for the input, I'll probably go through and strategically thin out a few places where the parts need to fit together.

Btw, does anyone have input on the door hinge location? There's 2 general options I'm considering for how the doors open, as shown below.

Gol1wba.jpg

aRJsE7i.jpg