Having watched this film three times, I will say that Kingsman is one of the best spy films ever made. However, it makes me disappointed with Eon Productions and how they managed the 007 franchise before Daniel Craig. Sure, GoldenEye is a classic, but look at the rest of the Brosnan era.

Now look at Kingsman and take away the ultraviolence, profanity and plot deviations - you're left with a textbook James Bond 007 film. Why couldn't Eon use this same formula on Brosnan's later three films?

And Colin Firth - OMG, he's a complete spitting image of Roger Moore. Not to knock on the Timothy Dalton fans, but Firth would've been the perfect replacement for Moore 30 years ago. Why didn't Eon hire him?

Having watched this film three times, I will say that Kingsman is one of the best spy films ever made. However, it makes me disappointed with Eon Productions and how they managed the 007 franchise before Daniel Craig. Sure, GoldenEye is a classic, but look at the rest of the Brosnan era.

Now look at Kingsman and take away the ultraviolence, profanity and plot deviations - you're left with a textbook James Bond 007 film. Why couldn't Eon use this same formula on Brosnan's later three films?

Because they don't have Mark Millar writing all of the Bond films?

I saw it last week and liked it - it was light and fun! Perfect escape for the cold winter. It made me miss a fun Bond/spy film, the Daniel Craig films have all been so dark and serious that it sucks all the fun out of the genre.

Has anyone seen this trailer for "The Man from UNCLE" - it looks great! Its all the best parts of the old Bond films from the 60s - the suave Connery years complete with the dry humor I miss. I'm looking forward to this!

I saw it last week and liked it - it was light and fun! Perfect escape for the cold winter. It made me miss a fun Bond/spy film, the Daniel Craig films have all been so dark and serious that it sucks all the fun out of the genre.

Given that I share his name, I'm going to completely disagree.

Edited by Mommar

Everybody's jumping the spy film bandwagon this year. On May 22, 20th Century Fox will release the action comedy film Spy. It has Jason Statham, which means there should be some decent action. Unfortunately, it has Melissa McCarthy in the lead role, which will make it painfully unwatchable.

Has anyone seen this trailer for "The Man from UNCLE" - it looks great! Its all the best parts of the old Bond films from the 60s - the suave Connery years complete with the dry humor I miss. I'm looking forward to this!

The cinematography looks great, but I'm not sold on the main actors. Henry Cavill's acting is really wooden here. And Armie Hammer - I don't know if his career can recover after that mega-flop The Lone Ranger. But if Guy Ritchie can make this film at the same level as the 2009 Sherlock Holmes, then there's hope.

The cinematography looks great, but I'm not sold on the main actors. Henry Cavill's acting is really wooden here. And Armie Hammer - I don't know if his career can recover after that mega-flop The Lone Ranger. But if Guy Ritchie can make this film at the same level as the 2009 Sherlock Holmes, then there's hope.

I think Henry Cavill's acting is intentionally wooden - he talks like all the men in "Mad Men" - I think its something from the era.

I think Henry Cavill's acting is intentionally wooden - he talks like all the men in "Mad Men" - I think its something from the era.

The thing is that Mad Men and The Man from U.N.C.L.E. are not the same, even though they both take place during the Cold War. Also, the original series worked because of Robert Vaughn and David McCallum's performances as Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin, respectively. Cavill and Hammer have no screen presence, and based on the trailer, Cavill is completely stiff. Worse is that this remake is written as a comedy.

Here's a short video on the history of the series:

If anything, this film reboot might end up on the same level as that godawful 1998 remake of The Avengers.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

It was not quite as bad as I thought it would be (just saw it). Darn glad I didn't waste money on it in the theater though. Way overdone bullet time action sequences, goofy and cliche training/selection bits(*), are almost offset by heads exploding in a fireworks like display and Samuel L Jackson's lisp.

Also on the plus side is that they did the Evil nut environmentalist way better than Tom Clancy did in the Rainbow Six novel.

(*) - which never has any actual training of any kind being shown but there must have been something since the kid went from NO skill at all to super killer...

It was not quite as bad as I thought it would be (just saw it). Darn glad I didn't waste money on it in the theater though. Way overdone bullet time action sequences, goofy and cliche training/selection bits(*), are almost offset by heads exploding in a fireworks like display and Samuel L Jackson's lisp.

Also on the plus side is that they did the Evil nut environmentalist way better than Tom Clancy did in the Rainbow Six novel.

(*) - which never has any actual training of any kind being shown but there must have been something since the kid went from NO skill at all to super killer...

Actually, Eggsy wasn't unskilled to begin with. He had Olympic-level gymnastics skills and trained in the Royal Marines before becoming a deadbeat because of his abusive stepfather.

Actually, Eggsy wasn't unskilled to begin with. He had Olympic-level gymnastics skills and trained in the Royal Marines before becoming a deadbeat because of his abusive stepfather.

Which he never puts to any use on film. On screen he went from worthless to super killer in no time.

Actually it wasn't in no time. Look at Eggsy's little sister. She is an infant when he gets arrested and at the end of the movie when his mom locks her in the bathroom before she goes berserk, she is now a toddler. This leads me to believe, along with Galahad's long coma (his long beard) indicates that the recruits training was long.

Chris

You are an expert in genetics if you can grow a "bear" like that in a month! Lol! ;)

What about his little sister aging so much?

No biggie if you don't agree, just putting it out there.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

You are an expert in genetics if you can grow a "bear" like that in a month! Lol! ;)

What about his little sister aging so much?

No biggie if you don't agree, just putting it out there.

Chris

Well, some folks have said I look like a bear after a month.

Little sister aged about a year, maybe 6 months. The training sequence would have gone better if it had shown any training rather than just tests that remove the candidates. The bit where the Sniper was aiming at the girl (I think it was the Girl) - take that scene and show it a few times with the candidate getting better and better each time - as an example. Or showing them actually learning to fight, etc. Would have taken an extra 10 minutes of screen time at most if done in a collage type format and the film would have been much better for it. In addition they could have added a little extra over the top action to it.

I didn't see SPECTRE, the part they showed in the trailers of the plane getting its wings clipped perfectly by trees and then continuing on after a car just really put me off to seeing it. That sequence just seemed too Brosnin era too me....and not in a good way. I just have heard mix d things about the movie. Kings men on the other hand was awesome for me. ;)

Chris

Yeah, the storytelling in this film is not for everyone, especially the occasional nitpickers, but we can all pretty much agree with one thing: Kingsman is better than SPECTRE.

I've not seen SPECTRE yet, coming up soon on the Netflix queue so will have a comparison soon.