Exactly. If you're in the neighborhood of 1000 pieces for $100, you're doing well. The ones that hurt are the 650 piece/$100 type sets. Usually those are licensed with popular minifigs, or sets with a lot of large parts.

I also suspect that forward section separates on Benny's ship.

As far as colored space guys go, the classic black was the rarest, showing up in only 8 sets, followed by Benny's blue brothers in 12 sets. I only have one black, and 4 or 5 blue classic space figs in my collection. The Polaris 1 Space Lab came with 3 blue guys just by itself. Great set.

Full 360 up-close video of Benny's ship:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9Sv6fkV6-k

Shows lots of things not revealed before, like the side-mounted control-tiles in the cockpit, the round tiles for the "engine glow", etc.

However---it does look like much of the belly is made of the "Playmobil" airplane fuselage parts:

2425829.jpg

That is so "anti" Classic Space I'll have to modify it into "normal" bricks.

As far as colored space guys go, the classic black was the rarest, showing up in only 8 sets, followed by Benny's blue brothers in 12 sets. I only have one black, and 4 or 5 blue classic space figs in my collection. The Polaris 1 Space Lab came with 3 blue guys just by itself. Great set.

I never realised they were that "rare" only eight sets, I have 3 or 4 of them, dang I guess I should have bought the other 3 / 4 sets.

I checked at the week end still have all mine including the train Lego. The instructions are all there :)

Was mentioning this in another lego thread, I think, but we seriously need some bigger cylinder parts. The three big engines look like some kind of wheel hub, and those work, but they're always indented in the center to give air cushioning for the tires. I want them to make more of the big wheel hubs used on the original "Auto Chassis" set... they were probably 6 studs in diameter, and completely smooth.

Annoys the daylights out of me that they always use 4 stud across parts for the UCS X-Wing sets, and they look far too small.

And yeah, I'll gladly grab two, maybe three of these even... I'd almost consider 4, just to get a nice even number of the engine pieces, and all those wonderful blue space logos. :)

I wonder if Benny will come with an accurate (broken) helmet? :p

Edited by Chronocidal

Those new Classic Space printed parts from Benny's ship are gonna sell like crazy on Bricklink; I don't even wanna think how much they're going to charge for them. :wacko:

Makes me wish either LEGO themselves, or a company like Reprolabels would make a batch of Classic Space stickers, in various colors, with the space logo and various other markings, and an LSS sticker with two sets of numbers in white in the Classic Space font. It would be helpful for inept people like me who don't have Photoshop.

Ugh.. you know, I'm fairly disappointed how the little wing pod ships are attached.. those little click-hinges are really not the type of connection you want to use for something like that.

Yeah, this will take some rebuilding, if I wind up building it at all... it's kinda sad, I mostly buy things for the parts now, and may never get around to building the set itself.

Yup, click-hinges suck. I thought LEGO had eliminated most of them by now, but it seems they're still around. Trying to think how they would have been connected "back in the day"----removable tile pieces over minimal studs?

Technic pieces with holes through them, and a couple of those gray Technic pegs

Or, was it still called Expert Builder, back then?

I was thinking more of a plate-based solution if possible, using bricks and pins would make the wingtips thicker than they are.

::edit:: Hmmn, the tips already have 2 plates on them as-is, using a brick would only be 1 plate thicker---though only if you eliminate the blue tile on top and have just the bare brick.

::edit 2:: Though the little wingtip-ships themselves probably couldn't fit a brick/pin attachment system, they're tiny little things.

PS----close-up pics from FBTB show that the only printed bits are the 2x3 slopes. All other markings are stickers. :( (I was pretty sure the tailfins were stickered, but I was hoping at least SOMETHING else was printed---like some of the tile pieces)

Makes me wish either LEGO themselves, or a company like Reprolabels would make a batch of Classic Space stickers, in various colors, with the space logo and various other markings, and an LSS sticker with two sets of numbers in white in the Classic Space font. It would be helpful for inept people like me who don't have Photoshop.

Back in the day I got a Sheet of them from Lego to do just that, I remember that there went enough to go round, and I couldn't get another one.

They had a clear back ground and worked on all colour figures.

I checked in with the space guys in my parents attic over the weekend and all the stickered ones look minty, 20+ years on.

Reprolables would clean up.

Just a thought if enough people here want some a friend of mine owns a signage company he could easily do these in maybe an A5 or A4 sheet with the LSS decals/numbers and anything else we could dream up.I would be happy to send them out to all at cost of print and postage.

I guess if you are interested PM me or post here.

If enough people are then I'll start up a buy thread.

Edited by big F

Well, if they follow SOP, the 2x4 blue wedges with the space logo and any stock tiles will be the only printed elements; everything else will be stickers.

Looking at that cockpit, all the controls, via stickers, are in the backseat, and Benny just has a red and green light up front, unless there's a control panel underneath that you can't see in the picture. However, LEGO makes quite a number of vehicles/mecha with no controls, or controls far out of reach of the fig. Lots of telekinesis in the LEGO universe. :wacko:

Go easy on the click hinges...they're incredibly useful, and essential to building mecha, esp transforming mecha. For years I hoped and prayed for them, so I was elated when they were finally made. I've been praying for small ball and socket joints for years, and now we have those too. I just picked up a couple Mixel sets yesterday just to see how strong those joints are. They'll be great for small poseable builds. The Mixels themselves are....interesting. They're wacky, to be sure, and I'm guessing the show is going to be mired in ridiculousness. Anyway, the Sentinel in the upcoming X-Men set, with the really sh!tty Blackbird, uses the new ball and socket joints extensively.

As far as the old school method for connecting the wing ships, I'll have to go with the technic pin solution, as that was pretty standard for anything modular back in the day, and even now to a greater degree. I have no issue with their using the click hinge to connect them, so long as said hinges are well secured in their prospective models. I don't see LEGO getting rid of them anytime soon, as they are heavily employed across all themes, used in all sorts of ways. They're great for shaping, as well as movement. I love 'em. :D

If you've got that mostly complete in good shape, I'll buy it off you... (I *love* the first-wave Pirates stuff, more than any other Legos)

I actually just went and picked it up today. appears complete but the sails are all dirty. I couldn't get rid of it though. So little of my childhood survived my moms attic cleanings.

I did find this while I was there too. Again appears mostly complete but the red boat is missing. <_<

post-11570-0-43766800-1392753151_thumb.jpg

Honestly, I don't mind the click hinges so much for some things, but as an attachable/detachable connection? Ugh. They're not meant to be used that way, and all it does is both wear out the parts quicker, and add an unnecessary axis of rotation that will give you one more moving piece to realign when it gets bumped out of place.

One of the early space sets I got was also the first one I saw with the technic brick/connector setup, but they didn't use the black technic friction connectors, they used the standard 2x1 propeller shaft type bricks, and a smooth plate to keep them from rotating.

The outer piece shown on the tip of the "wing" is what I'd use on Benny's.. 2x2 underside plate with a plug-in connection. The outer portion of this ship on both sides could be detached, and then attached together to form a larger drone/pod type thing.

6875-1.1105158269.jpg

This thing is still one of my favorite early designs.

Edited by Chronocidal

The little mini-ships on Benny's are 4 studs wide, right? This may work then:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/30157

30157.png

(as either one can go on either wing, there needs to be attachment points on both sides)

Comes in bley, but not blue.

I couldn't find a 1x2 or 2x2 with pins like that---though I swear a 2x2 version of this exists.

There's also this, but it's an old piece:

3481.png

Was made in blue, but not bley.

Actually, it's pretty easy, I was thinking more this piece:

2817.1078038066.jpg

This would actually let you mount the pins on either the wings or the mini-ships, using standard technic connector pins. Might want to add more than one to keep them from rotating, but on the other hand, that would actually let the pods rotate like minature turrets. :)

I don't know how hard these are to find, but I know I have a ton, mostly in black.

Finally saw it. It's great and it worked on me. Immediately went out and got Metal Beard which is awesome and Wildstyle's bike

I guess the marketing department at Lego have got what they want. Parents buying kits for their kids, and nostalgically buying kits for themselves.

How long till we see a relaunch of 1978 kits to tap that market ?

It's surprising how rarely LEGO reissues sets. Hasn't been one in years AFAIK.

I *really* hope for something that can be used for modifying Benny's ship---doesn't need to be a re-release, just another set of similar theme/color, incorporating some of the "space" parts that Benny's doesn't has.

If we're really lucky---the next space theme will be classic blue and grey and clear-yellow.

David, from your lips to Jorgen Vig Knudstorp's ears. If it ever happens, it'll be wish fulfillment on a far grander scale than LEGO realizes, I think.

I agree that they needn't do straight rereleases, but updated versions of those old sets with today's play features would be fantastic. And yes, blue, grey, trans yellow, with some white and trans blue thrown in for good measure would be most welcome. If anything, Benny's ship shows that the old space color scheme still looks great.

My god, this is the PERFECT commercial!!

For years I’ve been put off by the newer Lego sets with all those huge premolded pieces but this movie was the right nostalgia trip to my golden years playing and creating Lego stuff.

Now I need to hit a toy store… should take my kid too :D

And all the posts with the classic space toys in not helping guys!

Honestly, I don't mind the click hinges so much for some things, but as an attachable/detachable connection? Ugh. They're not meant to be used that way, and all it does is both wear out the parts quicker, and add an unnecessary axis of rotation that will give you one more moving piece to realign when it gets bumped out of place.

One of the early space sets I got was also the first one I saw with the technic brick/connector setup, but they didn't use the black technic friction connectors, they used the standard 2x1 propeller shaft type bricks, and a smooth plate to keep them from rotating.

The outer piece shown on the tip of the "wing" is what I'd use on Benny's.. 2x2 underside plate with a plug-in connection. The outer portion of this ship on both sides could be detached, and then attached together to form a larger drone/pod type thing.

This thing is still one of my favorite early designs.

This, this, THIS!! I loved this toy!! I had such wonderful adventures with the little guy while I drooled over the space parts of the catalogues back in the day.

I kinda realized the beauty of this entire movie as a marketing tool earlier.. because of the way it was made, essentially, all the development work for the merchandise for entire movie was done during production. And for maybe the first time in history, you can actually have a perfect working replica of something you saw in a movie. :p

So, I had a major nostalgia marathon last night, and dug through my entire box of lego instructions...

I found catalogs ranging from basically 1987 up til now. Really wish we could have more of those sets re-released, especially some of the really old technics ones. Would really love to see some more of the old Space Police and Ice Planet sets come back, those were fun designs.

Also, I went digging through my figures a bit, and found out I've actually got two of the old style space guys, the blue, and a red one. The red one is weird though, and I think he might be cobbled together out of a few figures that I inherited from a relative. The helmet might be from my original airport set, since I think the helicopter pilot had one. The torso has the old logo, but it's printed in all white instead of the normal gold.

I had to laugh though.. my "Benny" figure is in far better shape than the movie one. Most of my figures are actually, since I kept them boxed separately from the actual pieces.. somewhere along the line, OCD kicked in and I got a series of little hardware organizers full of drawers, and used them to sort my parts out.

Definitely going to be getting a couple of the Benny ships, and replacing all those silly flick-missiles with some good old fashioned hoses and probe guns. :)

Edited by Chronocidal

The torso has the old logo, but it's printed in all white instead of the normal gold..

Nope. The gold fades away into nothingness, leaving the white background behind. That figure had the standard printing when new. Benny isn't really an accurate representation of how worn/old space guys usually look. The gold fades away, leaving a rather nice-looking solid white logo most of the time. They don't scratch off through all the layers of color like Benny's. (unless a cat or fork got to it)

Most of my old space guys still have the gold intact, for the most part. I never had a cracked helmet, either, as far as I can remember. I never played with my figs much, so most of them still have stiff arms and legs. My bricks, however fared differently, since I had teeth, but no brick separator. Putting those little orange separators in large and some medium sets nowadays is a great idea, although I have a couple dozen of 'em floating around here.

As well as the classic space sets, I'd love to see Blacktron return. It was my favorite space line, and I have nearly every set from the black/yellow first line, and four of the black/white sets. In fact, my Aerial Intruder is sitting on the shelf in my LEGO room, looking incredibly bad-ass, and my Alpha Centuri Outpost is still in pristine condition in its box. Unfortunately, all my black and yellow sets were pieced out for building stuff when I was still in my teens. Someday I'll attempt to restore them all.