Transformers Super Thread 7

I haven't even seen those yet. I wanted to make sure that I didn't miss out on Blackout. The premium version looks much better from the photos I've seen.

I've seen premium Blackout several times at my local Wal-Mart, he and premium Ironhide are out.

Gobots had better jet modes.

QFT The Gobot line featured alot of different aircraft from different time periods, and the jet/plane modes were generally very well done. Although I veered more towards the Transformers, I did have have a handful of Gobots or Gobot knockoffs, and I remember thinking they were pretty cool..smaller than T-formers, but the vehicle modes were pretty detailed. The submarine guy was cool..still have him around here somewhere. It's almost a shame that Hasbro acquired the line and license, as I wouldn't have minded seeing an updated line to todays articulation standards in the same scale. Something about small, intricate toys, esp transforming toys, that I really find fascinating.

Edited by M'Kyuun

QFT The Gobot line featured alot of different aircraft from different time periods, and the jet/plane modes were generally very well done. Although I veered more towards the Transformers, I did have have a handful of Gobots or Gobot knockoffs, and I remember thinking they were pretty cool..smaller than T-formers, but the vehicle modes were pretty detailed. The submarine guy was cool..still have him around here somewhere. It's almost a shame that Hasbro acquired the line and license, as I wouldn't have minded seeing an updated line to todays articulation standards in the same scale. Something about small, intricate toys, esp transforming toys, that I really find fascinating.

Yeah, the Gobots weren't as bad as we think back of them as being. I think the lameness factor comes mostly from the Hannah-Baerbera cartoon. The robots were fine as toys, and the sheer variety (and accuracy) of the vehicles was novelty enough. Transformers were quite accurate to their vehicle forms back then, too (shame the only TF line to ever feature that again would be the BTs). I had quite a few Gobots, including that submarine guy. My little brother has it now.

I've seen premium Blackout several times at my local Wal-Mart, he and premium Ironhide are out.

So they're out in SoCal eh? Thanks for the tip. The latest TFs I've seen were the Wal-Mart exclusives, which are always selling out.

As far as Gobots go, I can't say too many bad things about 'em. I had a ball with the few Macine Robo toys I had. My first one was the Harrier jet, and I loved how each one came in styrofoam packaging and sometimes their own comic strip (even though I couldn't read Japanese). Gotta love 80's packaging.

Yeah, but Guardian robots weren't in the original toy colour. Technically Guardian robots aren't carbon-copies of Omega Supreme, either. They were pretty fat bastards.

From my perspectiver (coming from the UK I lean much more toward the comic than the Sunbow 'toon), that doesn't look much like a Guardian unit at all. Guardian units were much more humanoid in form, and a mix of silver and yellow in colour. To my eyes that just looks like a random recolour of Omega Supreme called "Guardian Robot" for no specific reason.

I'd love someone to do a proper toy of a Guardian unit, but then I'd also quite like one of Centurion and Impactor...

Maybe it's a "british" thing?

Karl

Nope. Looks like that's as much as you can do with the treads in jet mode. Eh, it's ok. I'm just not really that big on the Animated aesthetic anyway. The G1 Blitzwing looks better in all modes except bot mode.

And I WANT that deep space movie Screamer.

Yeah, but Guardian robots weren't in the original toy colour. Technically Guardian robots aren't carbon-copies of Omega Supreme, either. They were pretty fat bastards.

Well, Omega is a pretty fat bastard to begin with. :p I blame that one on poor animation. They were obviously based on his design, though. Regardless, as a nostalgia nod (I hated the comics and preferred the cartoon growing up), I'm really loving this deco.

Yeah, the Gobots weren't as bad as we think back of them as being. I think the lameness factor comes mostly from the Hannah-Baerbera cartoon. The robots were fine as toys, and the sheer variety (and accuracy) of the vehicles was novelty enough. Transformers were quite accurate to their vehicle forms back then, too (shame the only TF line to ever feature that again would be the BTs). I had quite a few Gobots, including that submarine guy. My little brother has it now.

I used to have a lot of GoBots as a kid. Dunno what happened to them.

But yeah, I'm just jumping on the bandwagon.

That or referring to the more modern Playskool GoBots line. Your choice.

Well, Omega is a pretty fat bastard to begin with. :p I blame that one on poor animation. They were obviously based on his design, though. Regardless, as a nostalgia nod (I hated the comics and preferred the cartoon growing up), I'm really loving this deco.
Omega Supreme tended to be of broad of torso rather than fat. Guardian robots were much chubbier by design. The animation model was later recycled to be the Quintesson Dark Guardians during the birth of the rebellion on Cybertron.

We assume that after driving the Quints off Cybertron, the DGs were reprogrammed into Guardian robots to protect everybody.

Omega Supreme tended to be of broad of torso rather than fat. Guardian robots were much chubbier by design. The animation model was later recycled to be the Quintesson Dark Guardians during the birth of the rebellion on Cybertron.

We assume that after driving the Quints off Cybertron, the DGs were reprogrammed into Guardian robots to protect everybody.

I dunno man, those still look like poorly drawn Omegas to me. :unsure: I'm sure I could dig up loads of screenshots where characters have bizarre proportions and/or are drawn off-model. Fat or no, the Guardians and Dark Guardians were intended to look like Omega Supreme, which is why I'm loving the eHobby repaint. Hell the OS toy doesn't exactly look like the cartoon model, either.

Since this is only Friday of Botcon I believe, they haven't displayed many all-new toys yet since the Hasbro Panel won't be until Saturday.

Universe of possible interest to you guys:

- camo redeco of Classics Starscream named Acid Storm. Conceptually he appears to be based upon the Decepticon Rainmakers from the G1 episode "Divide and Conquer". His deco appears to be based upon a cancelled G2 camo redeco of Starscream.

- Dropshot, a tan redeco of Cybertron Defense Scattorshot

- Autobot Blades, a mostly red redeco of Cybertron Evac

I'd link to pics, but TFW2005's server is extremely unreliable right now :( I suggest visiting other TF sites for pics.

I dunno man, those still look like poorly drawn Omegas to me. :unsure: I'm sure I could dig up loads of screenshots where characters have bizarre proportions and/or are drawn off-model. Fat or no, the Guardians and Dark Guardians were intended to look like Omega Supreme, which is why I'm loving the eHobby repaint. Hell the OS toy doesn't exactly look like the cartoon model, either.
Yes, the Guardians and DGs were meant to look like Omega Supreme, but they used *different* animation models, they weren't just drawn poorly. Why? Because Omega Supreme appeared in the same episode the Guardian robots first appeared in.

In fact, the more rounded designs of the Guardians is sort of a trait that Floro Dery would put into his designs, particularly in characters who had no toys.

- camo redeco of Classics Starscream named Acid Storm. Conceptually he appears to be based upon the Decepticon Rainmakers from the G1 episode "Divide and Conquer". His deco appears to be based upon a cancelled G2 camo redeco of Starscream.

Wow. While I'm sure a lot of people may disagree with me on this one, I actually think this is a bit of a slap to the face from Hasbro. I don't mean to bring up the drama of last year's BotCon set, but Hasbro specifically stated that they gave the Con organizers Thundercracker and the other seekers SPECIFICALLY because they didn't think any further repaints of the Starscream mold would sell at retail. So a MADE UP green camo character/"never released G2 repaint deco of SS" is considered more profitable than F'ing THUNDERCRACKER?! I know they dug themselves into a hole by making TC an exclusive, but to release this nobody as a repaint just further rubs salt in the wound.

Wow. While I'm sure a lot of people may disagree with me on this one, I actually think this is a bit of a slap to the face from Hasbro. I don't mean to bring up the drama of last year's BotCon set, but Hasbro specifically stated that they gave the Con organizers Thundercracker and the other seekers SPECIFICALLY because they didn't think any further repaints of the Starscream mold would sell at retail. So a MADE UP green camo character/"never released G2 repaint deco of SS" is considered more profitable than F'ing THUNDERCRACKER?! I know they dug themselves into a hole by making TC an exclusive, but to release this nobody as a repaint just further rubs salt in the wound.

I think Thundercracker and the other 2 coneheads can see release at mass retail, just not the same versions as the Botcon sets. For example, if you give Thundercracker his exact G1 toy deco, it will look significantly different from the Botcon one. Its much darker, the red is brighter, and the blue is more midnight blue, rather than having an unappealing green tint to it. Making all new wings for Dirge and Thrust could work, Botcon Dirge didn't have any new parts, and Botcon Thrust had stubby wings.

I would have wanted a low vis grey 1st Fighter Wing deco on the Starscream mold, over Acid Rain.

That's why I'm hoping TakaraTomy will just put an end to all this garbage and release Thundercracker and the coneheads as part of their Henkei/Classics line. Change the blue somewhat, I don't care. Hasbro must be aware that they screwed up back then, but at the time they weren't considering the demand for Classics to be as high as it turned out to be. I get that, and understand it. However, to go and NOW release some bs repaint at all is just insulting, considering their "it won't be profitable to repaint Starscream into known characters for mass retail" previous stance.

Dude, I completely agree .... although, I am sure the BotCon fanboy and fangirls would cry bloodly "what about the whole concept of convention exclusive" proverbial murder if Hasbro released retooled versions of Classics Thundercracker, Dirge, & Thrust.

Dude, I completely agree .... although, I am sure the BotCon fanboy and fangirls would cry bloodly "what about the whole concept of convention exclusive" proverbial murder if Hasbro released retooled versions of Classics Thundercracker, Dirge, & Thrust.
Dude, I have yet to see Botcon set owners lord their seekers over the others. Hasbro is likely entitled to make their own versions of the remaining seekers, just not the exact same ones released at Botcon 2007 (Fun Publications owns the molds and deco layouts for those, since they paid for the development and manufacture.

But I figure Hasbro would prefer to wait for awhile before they do so. But the problem is, if the parent toy company does similar-to-convention-exclusive mass releases, then what would be the point of the con organisers doing convention exclusives at all? After all, if it's expected that Hasbro will release something similar afterwards, then comparatively few would buy the convention toys.

Then again, if you guys *really* wanted three largely identical toy planes, you could have saved up for the Botcon set. That's what other people went to the trouble of doing.

Edited by Fit For Natalie