SW: The Old Republic MMO

When it comes to a MMORPG assumptions should NEVER be made.

Sorry. Bioware.

Before WOW came out, it was already assumed it was going to be great, because everyone pretty much agreed that Blizzard makes great games. And I like Bioware games WAY more than Blizzard games. Neverwinter Nights is still my favorite PC game. Jade Empire was my favorite original Xbox game. And so far, Mass Effect is my favorite 360 game. I haven't watched any of the trailers or read anything on Dragon Age, and it's already on my "buy" list. Seriously, they could release a game without any trailers screenshots, or even a plot description... they could release it on a plain white box with "New Bioware Game" in Arial font, and I'd probably preorder it. I don't care that Bioware tacked MMO to their newest KOTOR RPG, and I don't care that the last Star Wars MMO was crap on a cracker. As long as Bioware's involved, not only am I assuming that it'll be good, I'm assuming that it's the greatest MMORPG ever, and will always be the greatest MMORPG until Bioware decided to release a Jade Empire MMORPG.

• 2 months later...

Gamasutra - LucasArts. BioWare Prepare To Announce Joint Project

October 6, 2008

LucasArts, BioWare Prepare To Announce Joint Project LucasArts' and BioWare's long-awaited, much-discussed joint development project -- widely speculated to be an MMO set in the Star Wars universe circa BioWare's own Knights of the Old Republic -- will be revealed to the press October 21, according to an invitation sent out to media outlets including Gamasutra.

It is likely that the official announcement will come shortly after the October 21 press reveal held at LucasArts' San Francisco offices; events of this nature are frequently subject to a media embargo.

The postcard, which proclaims "The wait is over" and promises "the official unveiling of the game that's been rumored about for years," makes no explicit reference to Star Wars. It is branded with the LucasArts and BioWare logos and depicts floating robots and hooded figures in futuristic interior locations reminiscent of the sci-fi franchise.

The alleged existence of a KOTOR-themed MMO is considered one of the industry's worst-kept secrets, with BioWare parent Electronic Arts' CEO John Riccitiello essentially confirming the title's existence.

Riccitiello called the BioWare/LucasArts effort "quite possibly the most anticipated game, full stop, for the industry," before acknowledging it as a KOTOR MMO.

Development of the joint project is being handled at BioWare's Austin studio, created specifically for MMO development.

Gamasutra - LucasArts. BioWare Prepare To Announce Joint Project

October 6, 2008

LucasArts, BioWare Prepare To Announce Joint Project LucasArts' and BioWare's long-awaited, much-discussed joint development project -- widely speculated to be an MMO set in the Star Wars universe circa BioWare's own Knights of the Old Republic -- will be revealed to the press October 21, according to an invitation sent out to media outlets including Gamasutra.

It is likely that the official announcement will come shortly after the October 21 press reveal held at LucasArts' San Francisco offices; events of this nature are frequently subject to a media embargo.

The postcard, which proclaims "The wait is over" and promises "the official unveiling of the game that's been rumored about for years," makes no explicit reference to Star Wars. It is branded with the LucasArts and BioWare logos and depicts floating robots and hooded figures in futuristic interior locations reminiscent of the sci-fi franchise.

The alleged existence of a KOTOR-themed MMO is considered one of the industry's worst-kept secrets, with BioWare parent Electronic Arts' CEO John Riccitiello essentially confirming the title's existence.

Riccitiello called the BioWare/LucasArts effort "quite possibly the most anticipated game, full stop, for the industry," before acknowledging it as a KOTOR MMO.

Development of the joint project is being handled at BioWare's Austin studio, created specifically for MMO development.

Dude.. it's a Howard the Duck MMO. I want to be Phil Blumburtt!!!

Well if it is the KOTOR era or maybe the NJO era it might be good, but it is an MMO so I will take a pass, no need to sucked into the Matrix 1.1 when I have a real life to worry about

Its Old Republic, and I don't get the Matrix reference.

Its and old PVP comic reference from when the original SW MMORPG was launched, would really have to dig in order to find it

Ooooh, ok, gotcha.

For the record, all information we have right now has this game being called "Star Wars: The Old Republic".

Well, after the SWG fiasco, whatever era it is will have to be one with Jedi being effin' everywhere while still having plenty of other classes/professions/skills available. Hopefully they'll incorporate space flight and real time travel right off too.

Either way, I am happy. Short of the gameplay/hardware issues I had with KoToR 2, I loved both games.

As long as ANY Jedi class is available, you're not going to get any large number of non-Jedi classes around. The Fanboys proved that with SWG :angry:

God forbid we give the consumers what they want!

Of course, you are looking at this from a SWG point of view, not a KotOR point of view. Its not a "Jedi" class, there are Jedi classes. Yes, I think you need your Mandalorians and Bouny Hunters in there, but we have enough Jedi classes to covers tanks, melee, and casters.

I still have plenty of friends who play SWG and I did for a bit after Jedi was a made a starter class. There still weren't as many as you'd think. 95% of the ones on the server I was on were original unlocks and not starters. There were plenty of medics, bounty hunters, smugglers and commandos. Not to mention the people who didn't have an combat toons at all that were crafters and entertainers.

People will realize Jedi isn't the end all class as long as Bioware does it right.

Edited by Chewie

People will realize Jedi isn't the end all class as long as Bioware does it right.

Once again, you are looking at this from a SWG point of view. KotOR has several Jedi classes, and I am going to assume (until we hear more) that SWOR will be no different.

As long as they bring over swg's crafting system when it was released they can do what ever they want.

BioWare is so much better than SOE, I'm actually crossing my fingers and hoping that they've never played Galaxies. I don't want them to get any bad ideas.

BioWare is so much better than SOE, I'm actually crossing my fingers and hoping that they've never played Galaxies. I don't want them to get any bad ideas.

True but the original crafting system was second to none.

Space flight was done pretty well too.

Edited by Chewie

• 2 weeks later...

Well if the rumors are true I would try it out at least... I have yet to come across an MMO that fully satisfies what im looking for... The only MMO I ever played for more than 6 months was everquest 1 and FFXI but soon after my interest faded away as there was a lack of variety or things to do in game other than fight...

I don't like WOW either the graphics are too cartoony and it just seems like a generic glorified MMO. Theres nothing special to it IMO its just easily accessible and not too difficult to get ahead in... I guess thats why its so popular... The reason why no other MMO has even eclipsed wow is because the developers made their games too difficult and a chore to get ahead...

If they want to succeed they should follow WOW's gameplay example... Not totally but they shouldn't make things too challenging as that will turn possible customers away.

The Old Republic is being developed by BioWare Austin, and is what he calls a "story-driven MMO." So, why haven't they made KOTOR 3? Internally, they team jokes that The Old Republic is KOTOR 3/4/5 and beyond!

That's good one of the things that keeps bringing me back to City of Heroes is the story and characters... and the story to the first KOTOR game rocked.

Do I sense a Realm vs Realm style PVP on the horizon? I just hope you can switch sides, if you want.

Yes, RvR PvP was mentioned specifically.

Some early, pre-production screens:

post-1088-1224625022_thumb.jpg

post-1088-1224625032_thumb.jpg

post-1088-1224625038_thumb.jpg

post-1088-1224625042_thumb.jpg

post-1088-1224625047_thumb.jpg

post-1088-1224625213_thumb.jpg

Edited by Duke Togo