Do Vf's Have Tail Hooks For Carrier Landings?

Phalanx

When I was thinking about aircraft carriers the other day, I just had to stop and wonder whether or not VF's have tail hooks to make carrier based landings and I don't think I've seen any of them with one. So that made me wonder, how do they come to a complete stop when landing on carriers? (aside from landing in Gerwalk mode) Can somebody explain that to me?

Yes, they have two tailhooks (a bit of over-engineering and a poor move I think). They're stored within the wells of the landing gear mainmounts and are only extended when needed.

(edit:) my belief in the "poor move" part is pretty self evident. If he catches a crosswind on that last second in the groove, he may only catch one hook. Care to imagine what a 160knt aircraft will do in a forced power slide? *I* sure as hell wouldn't want to ride it out. With the engine nacelles/arresting gears being so far away from the centerline, it wouldn't be pretty

Edited by Skull Leader

Though they are never seen in any animation there is lineart and some models that do feature the twin tail hooks coming out of the main landing gear bays. The thing is that is not the best idea as if you only caught one it could be disasterous as you could potentialy be pulled one way or the other and with a crowded carrier deck you can imagine that might end badly. There is also some anecedotal evidence, from some SD drawings that the VF might use its hands as tail hooks. I personnally like that theory, just extend the hand slightly upon landing and catch the line with the pinky of one hand, it is probably strong enough. Of course the VF-1 also has reverse thrusters ont he intakes/hips so those could also potentially be used, and more then likely were the prefered landing method in space, get in close, burn your retros and just coast in.

Skull Leader beat me to it. The VF-1's twin tailhooks always bugged me, as it's one of the more unrealistic features on what is otherwise a very well thought out design. I can't imagine how they could ensure both hooks catch the same wire, and I wouldn't want to be one of the poor bastards on the deck if only one caught. The Vf-0 has a much more logical and prominent single tail hook on it's backpack.

It does appear that all later VFs must have tailhooks as well, as even new ships like the New Macross class have arresting gear strung across their decks.

Of course the VF-1 also has reverse thrusters ont he intakes/hips so those could also potentially be used, and more then likely were the prefered landing method in space, get in close, burn your retros and just coast in.

Of course, space landings always need a backup, since reaction mass is limited.

But you could also use the retrorockets to compenaste for a single hook landing provided they're firable. Whichever hook snags, the retrorocket on the opposite side fires automatically. This will at least reduce any slinging around

There is also some anecedotal evidence, from some SD drawings that the VF might use its hands as tail hooks.

I believe the White Drew Carey has found this anecdotal SD evidence.

389843[/snapback]

You mean those AREN'T the hooks?? :blink:

I thought that was in perfect memory, looks like I was right. Really though that is probably the best way for a VF-1 to catch the wire, though I doubt it would use both hands. Like I said they probably just extend the pinky, lol.

I think if one hook out of the two on the -1 hit the mark it would most likely rip the leg off and do some freaky barrel rolls. The -1 doesn't have a nice place to put a single arrestor hook (arms can be blown off and legs can be blown off but thats ok since it won't be around long enough to land).

-0 I don't like the backpack have the hook being in many bootlegs and one yamato vf-1 toys/models backpack breaking off <_< ; guess in anime it has some super form of overtech so it doesn't get ripped off.

Edited by Zentrandude

I love watching F-16s trap with their tail hooks, it's always such a mess, heck we had an F-22 here last quarter that tried to tail hook trap, *snap*

390291[/snapback]

how bad was the damage?

Wonder what Kawamori's rationale for the dual hooks is? Maybe a fail safe where one grabs but the other doesn't causes automatic release or something... Yaw would go off kilter by a few degrees probably but would maybe enough to abort and recock rather than go on a DOOOOOOOOOOOIRIFTO! spin. :lol: