• 4 weeks later...

I am happily watching the Gundam compilation movies. I'm 2/3 of the way through the first one. Gonna make India Curry and watch the remainder up through the third one tonight. I am loving it. It's the series with a few short-cuts. I kind of miss the scenes the cut - mainly the death of the original Captain of the White Base. Seeing him just wheeled off on Luna 2 diluted from the tragic nature of the narrative.

But they did a great job picking the trully important parts. The epic shots are still there - foremost Amuro's wheeping mother as the White Base takes off - wheeping for what her son had become...

This is really a masterpiece show. Seriously. Ideon compares well, but all the future Gundam series have just fallen so flat on me. I'll get them, of course... but... this is the best.

Poland is pretty good in terms of what Gundam anime is available here. F91, the entire SEED series (10 DVDs I think), 0083 (or something like that)...

But I'm not expecting much of those. I watched the CGI rendered Igloo 2, I suffered 20 episodes of Turn A Gundam, and I made it through Gundam SEED Destiny the movie just because it was so god-aweful...well...ok - only the first movie... I didn't have the heart for the rest....

And - Char's Counter Attack - I slept through that; though the mecha animation is amazing - I'll grant that.

But this Mobile Suit Gundam is simply the best - because it's so basic and raw. Scenes like Frau Bau's mother and Grandfather dying. The drunken soldiers in Amuro's mom's home. The despair of Amuro's mother.

Char's honor-killing/dupping of Garma. The grief of Garma's fiance and her father's stoic resolve that the "situation" has handled itelf to his desire. The intramural competition between the Zabi family....

It's all so very very basic - no super crap. Just WWII with space ships and giant robots.

Speaking of which - I love the sound effects. When jets get hit, we hear the metal sheered open by the blasts. It's far more haunting than the sanitized battle sound effects of Star Wars where it's just zip zip zip! lasers and wweee booom!!

Here you can feel the armor giving way and the dread of the pilots as they die.

I think that the sound effects are actually the BEST that have ever existed in ANY anime - because so much care was taken to make them realistic, which enhances the viewing experience.

And the animation itself is also simple and down to earth - only Gurren Lagann, with its' retro-animation style, comes close to matching this.

A brilliant brilliant achievement.

And Macross does a great job picking up and enhancing the themes in Gundam - albeit more operetically...

Anyways - I'm a happy duckling.

Pete

I am happily watching the Gundam compilation movies. I'm 2/3 of the way through the first one.

Pete

Let us know your thoughts when you get further in!

I would agree with you that the First Gundam movies are a masterpiece. It's not surprising that it was where the whole Gundam fandom/franchise exploded from.

By the way, are you watching the movies with the original soundtrack or revised soundtrack? There are huge differences in terms of sound effects and music placement. Also, all the voices have been re-dubbed in the revised version. The one with the revised soundtrack is often called the "Special Edition" version and is so titled on the DVD covers. How to also tell? If the audio is monoaural, it's the original. If it's in 5.1 surround, it's the special edition.

Most of the longtime Gundam fans prefer the original soundtrack. Newer fans seem to prefer the new revised track. Not that it's wrong to like one version or the other. Just wondering which version you had.

It's always great to see someone really enjoying original Gundam, it brings a smile to my face. Make sure you watch Zeta at some point, to me it's better than the original series in all aspects. Oh just a warning, dont watch the zeta compilation movies unless you really have no other choice.

Well, just got done with the second film and am going to watch the third - but first some impressions:

1. I'm so thankful this has english subs. The Haruhi DVDs ONLY have Polish subs, and my Polish is not good enough to be able to read the subs fast enough to also then actually WATCH the anime... so actually, most of the time I don't really read the Polish subs in Haruhi - I just go by memory of what they were saying from my old downloads. Since I watched the episodes like a million times, I pretty much remember...quick glances at the Polish subs give me the gist and that's enough...

Thankfully with Gundam this isn't necessary since the english subs are there.

2. Oh..boy... this "movie" sure had a LOT to compile...I mean...Ramb Ralh, Kai's spy girlfriend, Amuro's EMO-trip, the love/death of Matilda, the battle and Jamblow... thus, this movie felt REALLY like it was all over the place, and sometimes rushed. I guess there was no other way to do it...but...

That said - I'm PISSED that they left out the SALT. The reason why the White Base diverted in the desert was because the cook told Bright that they ran out of salt and everyone would die in a few days from salt deprivation. I always thought that was some great writing and for me - that was an important scene. They could have put it in...

Also - by this point the civilians-on-White-Base arc has totally been abandoned. I mean... they could have showed them going somewhere...or something...

Well...

Whatever... it's ok. It's hard to cram 41 plot thick episodes into compilation movies - but these do all right!

Pete

It's always great to see someone really enjoying original Gundam, it brings a smile to my face. Make sure you watch Zeta at some point, to me it's better than the original series in all aspects. Oh just a warning, dont watch the zeta compilation movies unless you really have no other choice.

IMHO, the original Gundam TV series is always be the best. Zeta is ok, but there are too many characters in the story are without any depth or enough time to be developed. The three ways military power structure don't work that well to me.

Edited by macrossnake

I've decided, the next thing you need to see is absolutely the Galaxy Express 999 movies (Galaxy Express 999, and Adeiu Galaxy Express 999: Final Station Andromeda). Those movies are the archetypes for what evolved into Gurren Lagann, not so much the super robot side, but the epic tale of passionate men side.

I've decided, the next thing you need to see is absolutely the Galaxy Express 999 movies (Galaxy Express 999, and Adeiu Galaxy Express 999: Final Station Andromeda). Those movies are the archetypes for what evolved into Gurren Lagann, not so much the super robot side, but the epic tale of passionate men side.

Well... where can I buy the DVD? Lately I've been on an anti-download kick; mainly for utilitarian reasons - namely - I periodically get computer viruses which require me to reboot via partitions or whatever it's called and erase everything but the basics... and I guess I could have burned some DVDs...but I think someone made me realize that would take lots of them...

In any event, right now I'm going to focus on getting the second season of Haruhi Suzumiya - Japanese DVDs which apparently have english subtitles.

Can you get Crunchyrool in Poland, Pete? They're currently streaming both the original Gundam and Zeta. Sadly, they're the dubbed versions, though.

Nope. No Hulu, no Crunchyroll.

Pete

Well I'd love to see Zeta - but for some inexplicable reason it's unavailable to me on DVD...and I also can't find anywhere where it can be downloaded! Why is Zeto so hard to get a look see of?

Pete

It's probably hard to find it as a download since it was released on DVD. The U.S. release DVDs should be easy to find and relatively cheap. But I guess in your case, it's hard to find a seller that'll ship it to Europe? Amazon should have it though and I think they ship to Europe...

As for Galaxy Express 999, i highly recommend it as well. However, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to watch the movies before the TV series. I'm not sure if they are composed as well as say DYRL or the First Gundam movies.

Eek! You're going to buy the expensive Japanese DVDs for Haruhi Season 2? I think I'll wait for the eventual US release.

Edited by Vifam7

It's probably hard to find it as a download since it was released on DVD. The U.S. release DVDs should be easy to find and relatively cheap. But I guess in your case, it's hard to find a seller that'll ship it to Europe? Amazon should have it though and I think they ship to Europe...

Amazon ships to "Europe" - but not to Poland :) I guess they must have had a bad eperience or something...although I'll grant it has been a while since I tried - so maybe they've changed that? ...

Anyways - it's on the bottom of my list - well - maybe not the total bottom... but Suzumiya and Gurren Lagann...not to mention that one anime...umm...Ma...M-...Ma...something... the one that the Japanese did after watching Robotech when they wanted to mimic anime which was invented by that one Carl Macek dude... I wanna get those too...

Eek! You're going to buy the expensive Japanese DVDs for Haruhi Season 2? I think I'll wait for the eventual US release.

Yeah - I know... I saw the prices... we'll see.... If I come across Gurren Lagann (which apparently can be bought in Europe) first, then I'll get that instead.

Pete

As for Galaxy Express 999, i highly recommend it as well. However, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to watch the movies before the TV series. I'm not sure if they are composed as well as say DYRL or the First Gundam movies.

Finding current in production subtitled DVD's is truly the hat trick. As for the movies, considering they're all 100% new animation + new take on the story, they actually come out better than both DYRL & Gundam for story compoosition.

Amazon ships to "Europe" - but not to Poland :) I guess they must have had a bad eperience or something...although I'll grant it has been a while since I tried - so maybe they've changed that? ...

Pete

If Amazon is no good, try DVDPlanet or DVD Pacific. I've heard these 2 retailers ship internationally. I've used DVDPlanet before domestically and they are reliable.

Edited by Vifam7

• 4 months later...

Bandai Ent. Adds [...] Turn A Gundam

The North American anime distributor Bandai Entertainment has announced at its Comic-Con International panel on Thursday that it acquired the license to the Tales of the Abyss and Turn A Gundam television anime series. Tales of the Abyss is a 26-episode anime adaptation of the popular Namco Bandai role-playing game of the same name. Turn A Gundam is the 1999 television anime series written and directed by Gundam creator Yoshiyuki Tomino for Gundam's 20th anniversary. The series also features music by Yoko Kanno and mechanical designs by Blade Runner's Syd Mead.

Yay!

I'm kind of sitting here with my mouth hanging open. Amazing, really, amazing. The only thing is that I hope it will be a bit easier to get hold of than Gundam Unicorn seems to be in the UK at the moment...

Won't help much in the UK, but for anyone not wanting to go to amazon for Unicorn, Rightstuf.com now has it available, as well as the pre-order for volume 2 shipping in october.

Won't help much in the UK, but for anyone not wanting to go to amazon for Unicorn, Rightstuf.com now has it available, as well as the pre-order for volume 2 shipping in october.

<HEADSLAP!>

Thanks for reminding me about Rightstuf, I should have thought about them right off the bat. I've ordered happily from them in the past, and recently bought a region-free Blu-Ray player for exactly this kind of thing... :)

[...] Now to wait for at least 2 years until the release completes...

We have already wait years: 2 more souldn't be a problem :)

Especially if this delay is required for them to make a decent release, contrarily to the Z Gundam boxset... ;)

• 2 months later...

2 Points to this Post:

1 - All 18 Gigs of the Z Gundam Blu-ray, 1-25 came over. Great quality, but they're .mkv files, and my Mac's VLC player is having some errors. It keeps jumping back in 2 places in each episode. One after about 15% through, then another time after the first commercial break. I have to skip over those areas and miss some content, and not easily skip either, it doesn't even want me to do that without losing the sound and restarting the player, a pain. I've Googled to fix it, no luck, wanted to try a different FREE player, no luck there either. They are subbed - which is what I hoped for. I will likely buy the blu-ray sets when they make it over here.

2 - More appropriate for this thread, I'm a Gundam newbie. Have been into mecha anime a LONG time but the vast universe of Gundam always scared me off. Maybe its the lull in new Macross and Mospeada stuff, but I was looking for something else to plug into.

SO -- I looked over all of Gundam, and probably given my age I gravitated to Zeta. I'm glad there's only a medium sized niche that does it for me instead of liking everything, that would drive me batty. After some research I'm considering a few MG kits to get started. Zeta 2.0, The O - then later Sazabi and MkII. Love the Jagd Doga design but I see no 1/100 MG for that yet.

Seems like a great time to get into a little Gundam, after all these years; with Blu-ray, and some of the best kits yet coming out for such a classic (old?) series . . .

2 Points to this Post:

1 - All 18 Gigs of the Z Gundam Blu-ray, 1-25 came over. Great quality, but they're .mkv files, and my Mac's VLC player is having some errors. It keeps jumping back in 2 places in each episode. One after about 15% through, then another time after the first commercial break. I have to skip over those areas and miss some content, and not easily skip either, it doesn't even want me to do that without losing the sound and restarting the player, a pain. I've Googled to fix it, no luck, wanted to try a different FREE player, no luck there either. They are subbed - which is what I hoped for. I will likely buy the blu-ray sets when they make it over here.

Try loading a codec pack like Matroska or K-Lite. That should allow you to play mkv files on most players (even WMP). Honestly though, you should just buy the cheap "Anime Legends" sets released by Bandai USA. Get them while they're still available. Chances of Zeta being released on Blu-ray, here in the US, is probably slim to none.

2 - More appropriate for this thread, I'm a Gundam newbie. Have been into mecha anime a LONG time but the vast universe of Gundam always scared me off. Maybe its the lull in new Macross and Mospeada stuff, but I was looking for something else to plug into.

SO -- I looked over all of Gundam, and probably given my age I gravitated to Zeta.

Personally I would've recommended starting with the original 0079 movies trilogy. Only 3 movies to go through and pretty much the base of all the "UC Era" continuity stories. Also, Zeta would make a whole lot more sense if you watch the trilogy first.

Try loading a codec pack like Matroska or K-Lite. That should allow you to play mkv files on most players (even WMP). Honestly though, you should just buy the cheap "Anime Legends" sets released by Bandai USA. Get them while they're still available. Chances of Zeta being released on Blu-ray, here in the US, is probably slim to none.

Personally I would've recommended starting with the original 0079 movies trilogy. Only 3 movies to go through and pretty much the base of all the "UC Era" continuity stories. Also, Zeta would make a whole lot more sense if you watch the trilogy first.

Ok on both points - I see the Legends DVD sets pretty cheap online, and I'll see if I can find the original movie trilogy. I thought the first portion was only a series . . .

Ok on both points - I see the Legends DVD sets pretty cheap online, and I'll see if I can find the original movie trilogy. I thought the first portion was only a series . . .

"First Gundam" or "0079" was originally a 43 episode TV series. It was then compiled into 3 movies. The 3 movies do a good job. The "bad guy of the week" element and the really corny mechs from the TV series are cut out, the story is tightened up, and the animation is improved.

Edited by Vifam7

I just started watching the first of the Zeta Gundam compilation movies... nicely remastered animation, but is it just me, or are they a little more "spotty" than the original Gundam movies? My impression of the first Gundam movies was that they held together well and, even though they dropped quite a bit, it wasn't jarring when you thought about what had been removed. I'm about 50% through the first Zeta Gundam, and already it just feels a little disjointed. Maybe I'm "judging ahead". For example, skipping Kamille's first fist fight with Jerid has got me thinking about whether that whole feud is translated in the films, maybe as an outcome of the fight with the Mk IIs, or if it's downplayed. Whatever the reason, I'm noticing the missing bits more in this movie than I did in the first trilogy.

Has anyone else seen them? Am I being unduly harsh at only 1/6th of the way into the trilogy? :p

I just started watching the first of the Zeta Gundam compilation movies... nicely remastered animation, but is it just me, or are they a little more "spotty" than the original Gundam movies? My impression of the first Gundam movies was that they held together well and, even though they dropped quite a bit, it wasn't jarring when you thought about what had been removed. I'm about 50% through the first Zeta Gundam, and already it just feels a little disjointed. Maybe I'm "judging ahead". For example, skipping Kamille's first fist fight with Jerid has got me thinking about whether that whole feud is translated in the films, maybe as an outcome of the fight with the Mk IIs, or if it's downplayed. Whatever the reason, I'm noticing the missing bits more in this movie than I did in the first trilogy.

Has anyone else seen them? Am I being unduly harsh at only 1/6th of the way into the trilogy? :p

I think he first one is the weakest, and they get better as they go on...or maybe I simply got used to the shifts in animation quality, and the cut-to-ribbons story.

Either way, I ended up enjoying them...but I haven't watched them a second time.

Having never watched the Zeta Series I carefully looked into the shrunken movie version vs the series to start with.

I concluded I should watch the full series first - then later see the condensed versions. Agree? I downloaded a blu-ray version but have already trashed the files because the .mkv files were causing too much havoc.

I found a 'supposedly' rare 10 disc box set that comes with poster and booklet and such for $100. I would be spending almost $70 for the Legends sets so I might just get it . . .

Having never watched the Zeta Series I carefully looked into the shrunken movie version vs the series to start with.

I concluded I should watch the full series first - then later see the condensed versions. Agree? I downloaded a blu-ray version but have already trashed the files because the .mkv files were causing too much havoc.

I found a 'supposedly' rare 10 disc box set that comes with poster and booklet and such for $100. I would be spending almost $70 for the Legends sets so I might just get it . . .

I'd agree with that. The Zeta Gundam series doesn't fall prey to the "monster of the week" syndrome that the original series did. It's still pretty long, but I enjoyed it. Based on Gubaba's comment on "cut-to-ribbons" story, it sounds like the movie trilogy is a little like Do You Remember Love in that they look pretty but drop a lot of the character development, and so watching the series first will fill in the gaps.