New Pics of Yamato VF-0S 1/60

Graham

A buddy who owed me in a big way showed up on my doorstep with a VF-0 in hand; he frequents Frank n' Sons and knew that I was starving for this thing and picked it up for me.

Ok, fresh out of the box impressions? It "feels" loose, like many others have reported. I'm starting to agree with another member here who notes the lack of solid "click and locking" parts like the VF-1, which feels like a brick (Low Viz, CF). I see a sort of "Broke-back" VF-0, in that the fighter tends to flex somewhere behind the canopy, like on the MPC Alphas, for example. Also, my right stabilizer is very loose and clicks into place with a very flimsy millimeter sized tab that I can see wearing out at some point. Nothing is broken, as far as I can tell. The gunpod hole is too tight to mount so I'll have to drill that out. This is one big, beautiful bird, although I'm going to give that nose antennae 1.6 days before I end up breaking it off; maybe I'll just cut it off before that happens. Ultimately, tightening this bird up would make it the perfect toy.

One of my favorite sayings is, "With people like friends, who needs enemies?" I might change that after today...

Edited by myk

This is one big, beautiful bird, although I'm going to give that nose antennae 1.6 days before I end up breaking it off; maybe I'll just cut it off before that happens.  Ultimately, tightening this bird up would make it the perfect toy. 

Nose antanna is removable. Just put it away if you worry breaking it. You'll remove it in battroid mode anyway. No worries. ;)

Lol-thanks, I just discovered that! Although I do wish I could keep it on. Maybe one of you wacky customizers/casters will come up with a more flexible version?

Edited by myk

I agree the kite would be difficult on the nose. Many of the 1/48's have a gap in the nose panels (albeit small). My VF-0S has no gap AND they printed the black stripe on the same seam. If they print it and you don't like you can always cover it with a sticker. However, I love the tampo printing because it make the toy displayable right out of the box.

Got mine yesterday!!! thankfully no Major problems. Part of the vertical Stab spike was broken but I found it in the box and glued it back on. Agreed with most sentiments that it does feel a little loose, and you can see it sag when it is picked up off of the gear and then settle again when it is resting on the gear. The left leg is pretty loose and if the leg is turned outward in Gerwalk mode, it jus collapses. I also find the new arm/ swing bar situation much more difficult than the 1/48, but this does make it look much better so I won't complain. Overall very happy with it! Thanks to Twin Moons!

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I like to hold the VF-1s with an underhanded grip, with my fingers squeezing the two intakes. Trying to do that with the Zero results in the leg assemblies popping out of and away from the backpack/stabilizer assembly. I'm hoping that this is the result of loose knee joints, as I might be able to deal with that...

What type of glue, putty or filler would you use to build up the missing pin on the vertical fins? Do not want to use the wrong stuff and watch my Zero melt.

400205[/snapback]

I just used regular super glue. Just make sure you use a very small amount just a dab will do ya' ;)

MYK, I noticed that too, if you hold it back on the leg fast pack area and squeeze there, it makes sure that the back pack stays in place, you just gotta do it hard enough or the fast packs will slide off though. :huh:

Chris

I like to hold the VF-1s with an underhanded grip, with my fingers squeezing the two intakes.  Trying to do that with the Zero results in the leg assemblies popping out of and away from the backpack/stabilizer assembly.  I'm hoping that this is the result of loose knee joints, as I might be able to deal with that...

400233[/snapback]

Don't think its the loose knee. Mind does exactly the same, even when I fixed my loose swivel (also the knee ratchets are tight). Its just the way its built, with the leg pegs not strong enough to hold onto the backpack. You just need to get used to holding it on the legs (clamping the backpack) more towards the back then the intakes. Maybe thickening the pegs would help, but haven't tried. I also found that without having the gunpod attached in fighter mode, the leg pegs are less likely to pop off.

The locks in general on the zero is just less secure. Though last night when I transform it back to fighter mode, the shoulder hinges is a pain to put it all the way in in the middle (so that gunpod doesn't sag and touch the ground). There was barely any room for the square shoulder hinge to go pass the leg metal sway bar (metal doesn't bend like the plastic) and go all the way down. I have to push so hard that I can snap any parts with that force. Now that its in fighter mode, I wonder how hard I need to pull those shoulders back out when I transform it next time. :blink:

In fighter mode, I hold my Zeros in an underhand grip either at the knee area or the lower legs. No problem with intakes popping out.

Graham

400245[/snapback]

Graham, I think he meant the legs(peg) popping off from the back pack, not the intakes popping. Since you hold at the knee or lower towards the lower legs(where the fast pack sits), its less likely to have the popping. But if you grip it at the intakes(which I do that normally too), those leg pegs pop right off, since there is no hook on that leg peg to lock onto the backpack.

Edited by mpchi

Right. I've just had to modify my grip by moving it down towards the lower legs, thus pinning them against the backpack/tailfin assembly. Don't misunderstand me though, I love this fighter, probably even more than the VF-1.

VF-1, intakes. VF-0, lower legs.

Now I can go running around making those jet sounds...

Edited by myk

Right.  I've just had to modify my grip by moving it down towards the lower legs, thus pinning them against the backpack/tailfin assembly.

VF-1, intakes.  VF-0, lower legs.

Now I can go running around making those jet sounds...

400254[/snapback]

Sounds good to me. :lol: SHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOSHHHH! BAAAM BAAAM BAAAM BAAAM!!!

I find the front landing gear on the VF-0S is much easier to get out compared to the 1/48 VF-1. On the VF-0S, you can pull on the plastic tow-bar to get the front landing gear out and not have to worry about it coming off like you do on the 1/48's tow-bar.

I admit that the VF-0S's rear landing gear is a little difficult to get out, but I can manage it without tools, as long as my fingernails are not trimmed all the way down. I do have fairly slim fingers though.

Graham

I was going to ask about that tow-bar. It seemed strong enough to yank on but I didn't want to press my luck-thanks alot...

I definitely find the VF-0 landing gear to be harder to pull out. There's a bit less "fingernail" access to flip open the bay doors, and then the gear are tight as frack. I do love how the gear struts are slimmer than the VF-1, more fitting for the scale.

I'm liking the fighter mode so much, I think i'll leave it in this mode for now - and put the pitot tube/antenna back on the nose. It's got such a cook menacing Flanker profile from certain angles. I still think VF-1 is still sleeker looing in fighter mode, and overall a better "toy" to transform and abuse.

Edited by ghostryder

IMO 2 of the coolest things about this toy are the arrestor hook and the nose antenna. I wish they had kept the moveable flaps. I like them on my 1/48's that aren't my R1 Hikaru 1A. It has its drawbacks and could have used some more diecast in the transformation assemblies for sturdiness (the swingbar is too thin IMO). However, its still very cool and displays nicely.

Hey Yamato, where's my 1/48 YF-19?

I find the front landing gear on the VF-0S is much easier to get out  compared to the 1/48 VF-1. On the VF-0S, you can pull on the plastic tow-bar to get the front landing gear out and not have to worry about it coming off like you do on the 1/48's tow-bar.

I admit that the VF-0S's rear landing gear is a little difficult to get out, but I can manage it without tools, as long as my fingernails are not trimmed all the way down. I do have fairly slim fingers though.

Graham

400296[/snapback]

Front is better. Its still somewhat tight, but tow bar is much stronger this time around and doesn't come off. No tools needed to get it out. The rear ones are tougher however. I have trouble especially with one of the legs. Its so tight that I made a dent on my nail tip try lifting it, and still failed. Needed a tiny screw driver instead.

All I really care about, is that the toy looks beautiful. Now I need that 0A to go along with it, and someday my display case will be gorgeous. Once I get a display case, that is. Which will cost about a billion bucks with all the macross crap I've acquired in the past year...

Edited by GutsAndCasca

All I really care about, is that the toy looks beautiful. Now I need that 0A to go along with it, and someday my display case will be gorgeous. Once I get a display case, that is. Which will cost about a billion bucks with all the macross crap I've acquired in the past year...

400394[/snapback]

Wonder if there will be a VF-0D. The 0A is almost a sure thing since its just minor changes on the head and paint job. As I rewatch the OVA, the 0D turns out pretty good looking too, and a bit different fome the 0S. Guess we have to wait patiently. :p

Got mine today, and happy to say, NO QC issues. AAaahhh.

I LOVE THIS BIRD!. It does sag just a wee bit in fighter mode, but it's not noticeable to me. The only thing I don't like about it is that the legs don't lock into the backpack in fighter mode as tightly as the VF-1. If you hold it by the calves in fighter mode, it's fine, but if you grab it about the intakes, the calves pop out of the backpack.

The magnetic fast packs are really cool too. Although, if you like to handle your valk by the calves (as I do) the fast packs tend to slide around a little.

Overall, it rocks!

Here's a few quick pics that I took this morning of my second VF-0S, while getting ready to go to work.

It has nice tight joints and no trouble holding whatever pose I put it into.

Clicky to enlarge.

0s-pose-1.jpg

0s-pose-2.jpg

0s-pose-3.jpg

I love this toy.

Graham

Mine came on Monday but I had no time to take it out until tonight. It's been a week of anticipation indeed! I'm happy to report that mine has no QC problems that I can see. It does have the loose right bicep, but it's not free-moving loose, just not really tight. I removed the pitot tube immediately after taking it for a test flight (and placing a few precision strikes on the cat!) since I don't trust myself with it.

My one major gripe is an echo of the previous few pages: the legs not locking into the backpack. The pegs fit so loosely into the holes that they might as well not even be there. It's nothing that ruins my enjoyment of this beauty, but it is strange that they wouldn't use the same mechanism as the 1/48.

Transforming it was pretty easy, although I somehow managed to pop the heat shield out of it's hinge (I thought I broke it!) and I had a bitch of a time getting those looooong head antennae through the hole. I do wish the backpack locked against the back a little tighter, but it's not like it falls down or anything.

Overall I mostly marvel at the VF-0, it is a wonderful toy and just overflowing with gorgeous detail. I'm not sure which I like better between the Zero and the 1/48, but there's no need to pick a favorite since they're both awesome toys.

Here's a few quick pics that I took this morning of my second VF-0S, while getting ready to go to work.

It has nice tight joints and no trouble holding whatever pose I put it into.

Clicky to enlarge.

I love this toy.

Graham

400491[/snapback]

Nice pics, Graham! That last shot is exactly the same pose mine is in right now. He's aiming at my Masterpiece Convoy. :lol:

The superior proportions of the VF-0S Battroid are actually starting to make me go off the 1/48 VF-1 a little.

The 1/48 VF-1's overly long nosecone and biceps in battroid mode seem even more noticable now. :)

Graham.

It does have the loose right bicep, but it's not free-moving loose, just not really tight.

400493[/snapback]

That's the best and most accurate description I've read so far regarding the VF-0S's swivel joints.

The way some of the people here have described the toy, you'd think it was a big floppy mess, that can't stand by itself or hold any sort of pose, which is simply not correct.

Graham

No kidding, before I got it I was almost afraid this thing was going to collapse into a heap in Battroid mode. On the contrary, it's solid and rigid. This is by far the most satisfying valk toy I've laid my hands on. Hell, I'm staying up later than usual tonight just to admire it and post comments here!

I'm loving my zero again. I got my replacement backpack from HLJ and the broken backpanel has now been replaced. The backpack isn't that hard to remove from the body, You just remove the 2 backpack screws and pry the backpack apart and presto. I took some time to pu the new backpack on but it was worth the trouble. :p

I didn't know that you could order parts for this thing. That's great news. How did you break yours, anyway?