Transformers the Movie

178 members have voted

1. 1. Now that you've seen it, what did you think?

• It kicked ass!
    • Good, but not as good as the original.
    • Meh.
    • I want Grimlock to step on Michael Bay.

According to wiki, they did last minute changes to Brawl's name and changed it to Devastator. Hasbro didn't have time to change the name hence the changes not reflected on the toys. But then again it could be the other way round as David stated. It makes more sense to name him Brawl anyway.

Watched it. Was only mildly entertained by it probably due to me being a big TF fan. (for G1 anyway) They changed the story considerably. For more details check out the IDW comic which is a prequel to the events of the movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers:_The_Movie_Prequel

Gripes:

1.) The candid/comedy moments were misplaced if not too dragged out. The whole hiding from Sam's parents was too long IMHO and was funny the 1st few minutes but became a drag. It also made Optimus and the autobots look like idiots. And don't get me started on the whole poo with the Sector 7 idiot. That was so lame and stupid. Bumblebee "peeing" on him didn't help either.

2.) Not enough was done to flesh out the autobots nor the decepticons. Hardly any character development for them. That said, Prime is what I describe as "the solo guy in Dota or Counterstrike" who went alone and did his own thing with Megatron. I mean he never had the awesome Autobot leader vibe coming from him in the movie. Should've shown him leading the autobots in battle, barking out commands and though outgunned by the more powerful Decepticons, save the day with strategy rather than brute force. That said, the kid who never knew transformers until the movie would buy Bumblebee toys rather than the Optimus Prime toy.

3.) Most of the Decepticons were killed by humans. The Autobots only provided ineffective covering fire. Don't get me started on Ironhide with 2 big guns that did nothing but used to do a "rocket jump". Oh and Ratchet not able to save Jazz is so NOT COOL. Why have a freaking medic/repairman? Sigh.

4.) The whole Archibald Witwicky...wtf? Just use the story line where The Ark crashed on earth, that would make for more interesting action sequences. And i'm suppose to suspend belief that they were able to haul megatron all the way to America and keep him in cryostasis with early 19th century technology?

5.) LOL Barricade was missing halfway through the show. He obviously died or something but they never did show it. Blooper.

Pros:

1.) Mikaela..... ^_^

2.) Frenzy. I'm glad they decided on Frenzy instead of Soundwave cause if they named him Soundwave, i'd be pissed. Soundwave will be in the next movie btw, along with the Constructicons and Dinobots.

THAT WAS EFFING FANTASTIC. Maybe I'm just a sucker for hard action peices, but man, I enjoyed the hell out of that movie. I will definitely see it again.

Saw it tonight and I hate to say it but....it rocked!!

Not exactly the Transformers we grew up with, but pretty fracking dope nonetheless.

Cartoon prime kind of annoyed me as a kid because sometimes he was almost too goody goody.

You only really saw him lose his cool when he yelled at Sideswipe to give him his rocketpack.

This Prime was kind of impatient and a dick when they were at Sam's house looking for the glasses.

He also was willing to sacrifice one of his own for the greater cause.

I did like this slight deviation from the cartoon personality.

I actually enjoyed the humor in the movie. I laughed out loud when Bernie Mac wanted to throw a rock at his momma, the Study of Football and Braindamage book with Mazes and Pop Up Pictures, and Sam's Mom asking if he needed some "alone time".

I think it would have been a nice homage if Ironhide would have said "Leaking Lubricant" when Bumblebee took a piss on the Jesus.

Prime's lips didn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would.

Props to Shia Lebouf for pulling off acting with VFX characters more convincing than any of the Star Wars Prequels IMHO, and props to Megan Fox for having great genes.

And most of all Props to ILM and Digital Domain for creating some kickass Visual Effects.

And yes, Michael Bay, you did allright on this one

Stupid Humans. Dropping the Mighty Megatron into an ocean trench will do no good.

"I still function!!!!"

Edited by chowyunskinny

They based this movie on multiple sources, including the Marvel comic, which is where the concept of a mystical device giving life to machines (and can also be used for evil) came from. So I wouldn't be surprised if elements of comic Primes were in there.

According to wiki, they did last minute changes to Brawl's name and changed it to Devastator. Hasbro didn't have time to change the name hence the changes not reflected on the toys. But then again it could be the other way round as David stated. It makes more sense to name him Brawl anyway.
Eh?

Both Roberto Orci (one of the writers) and Hasbro confirmed that 'Devastator' is the mistake. One thing Hasbro has over the movie as owner of the brand and characters, they have overriding control over how the characters are named, because they need to be able to sucessfully trademark those names for toys and merchandise.

BTW, I checked and its not on Teletraan-1, the TF wiki (otherwise I would have changed it), and I can't find it on the Wikipedia's movie page.

They based this movie on multiple sources, including the Marvel comic, which is where the concept of a mystical device giving life to machines (and can also be used for evil) came from.

There was a simlar plot/toy selling device in the cartoon. Vector Sigma gave life to the Stunticons and the Aerialbots

Edited by chowyunskinny

I got it from Brawl's page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brawl_%28Transformers%29

There is some controversy over his name. The toys list the figure as Brawl, but the film itself, and the official movie novelization, his name is Devastator. This is due to a last-minute change on behalf of Hasbro which was not able to be implemented into the film in time.

I just got back from the midnight showing, and I thought it rocked. We had a good crowd and everyone cheered for Prime. Not much in the way of dialogue and plot, but as a popcorn action movie it worked well enough. I liked all the homages given to the G1 TF's and the TF Movie (Kup scene anyone? Awesome!); I'll give Bay a big plus for those additions.

I still hate the designs and it was hard to tell some of the TFs apart from one another during action sequences b/c they're all mostly gray in color.

Edited by Valkyrie23

Hmm, I actually feel like watching it again after last Friday's viewing despite thinking that it was a pretty stupid film plot-wise. Something about the Autobots appearing just kept coming back in my mind; that was perhaps the most awesome scene in the movie (for me, anyway). And yeah, I was griping a lot about the action scenes; too many things popping around everywhere and scenes cutting all over the place ruined it a little for me. Designs, ugly, yes, but you can't really see how ugly they are most of the time since you can't really see them clearly. Maybe that was intentional, lol.

Part of me is still whinging, while another is constantly going omgogmomgomg. Hahah. So for those who were still sceptical and whatnot, just watch it for what it is; it's certainly an entertaining watch (including the bad cheesy scenes).

Great to know that the majority of you guys at least liked it.

I just hate the fact that we have to wait till the 27th to see it in Blighty. Talk about giving the Bittorrent world some ammo.

Great to know that the majority of you guys at least liked it.

I just hate the fact that we have to wait till the 27th to see it in Blighty. Talk about giving the Bittorrent world some ammo.

Japan has to wait until August. <_< Man, they really hate Transformers, in spite of all the Takara stuff.

Saw it last night with my sister of all people who doesn't really care for Scifi all that must. She loved it and suggestd that we see it again. I was grining ear to ear from start to finish. Action was great, it was actually funny and not in a forced way. The acting was pretty good as well and the Transformers looked great in action even if the designs from stills seemed pretty weird.

I loved all of the classic lines Prime used and one key one just made me flash back to the original Transformers animated film. Nice touch. :) Sequel here we come.

Japan has to wait until August. <_< Man, they really hate Transformers, in spite of all the Takara stuff.
I wonder what other films are being pushed there instead.

That or Takara (read: Tomy) doesn't really care for the movie since they had nothing to do with it.

4.)And i'm suppose to suspend belief that they were able to haul megatron all the way to America and keep him in cryostasis with early 19th century technology?

In both the movie and the preview comic, it's stated that Megatron was moved up to Hoover Dam in the 1930's.

you guys may want to check this out

www.sectorseven.org

enter codeblack and check out the red folder

HOLY CRAP! I SEE GRIMLOCK!!

WTH is this site?

EDIT: Ok....fanmade site with transformer toys going on a rampage. lol!

Edited by wolfx

HOLY CRAP! I SEE GRIMLOCK!!

WTH is this site?

Well not to spill the beans, but sector 7 is some super secret branch of the government, that found and housed megatron for all those years.

Good solid movie.

I still think the designs are ugly, and although I wanted the movie to drag out a bit more after Megatron woke up, it was pretty good.

Don't know if it will win any awards, but it does deserve a place when the DVD comes out, and at least 1 cinema experience.

Actually, "Cloverfield" seems to be a working title. The film itself isn't finished yet. One rumor is that this will supposedly be a new Godzilla film.

God I hope not. Although 2008 would put it at 10 years since that pile of dung that was the American Godzilla.

Working title or not, they should have put something, because the idiots in my screening of TF thought it was called "Bad Robot"

Saw the moview yesterday, that was a lot of fun. I was so happy to once again hear Prime called out "Autobot, roll out!!!"

On the Sector Seven website, click on the Warning (!) icon on the bottom widget and a window labeled "Annoyance" will pop up. You'll find images of anti-Sector Seven protesters picketing on Sunset & Vine St. in Hollywood (where a building undergoing renovation is draped with a giant TF poster). Also, you'll find screenshots of other websites. vector-sigma.org has the same password interface as the Sector Seven website. stopsectorseven.org redirects you to Paramount's homepage.

Saw it last night at the Alamo here in Austin ... they had a 60 foot robosaurus eating cars and blowing fire out of its nose in the parking lot. They wanted Harry Knowles to get in its mouth, but he wasn't having it. I love this town. :)

The movie was better than I was expecting. Lots of fast sweeping shots, big explosions, very well done action scenes. It's not going to revolutionize cinema, but it was a lot of fun. I'd go see it again.

Oh, and I'd jump in a bathtub full of electric eels wrapped in tinfoil just for the chance to fold Megan Fox's delicates.

On the Sector Seven website, click on the Warning (!) icon on the bottom widget and a window labeled "Annoyance" will pop up. You'll find images of anti-Sector Seven protesters picketing on Sunset & Vine St. in Hollywood (where a building undergoing renovation is draped with a giant TF poster). Also, you'll find screenshots of other websites. vector-sigma.org has the same password interface as the Sector Seven website. stopsectorseven.org redirects you to Paramount's homepage.

Hate to break it to you guys - but all of the stuff you are talking about has been on the site for months now. I think the latest password is deceptibot.

Oh, and spoilers:

It looks like Barricade's death scene was cut to leave him around for the sequel. Also: What happened to Scorponok? He wasn't destroyed as far as I know.

I gotta say I was skeptical about it but it was great. Fun,funny,full of action and damn Peter Cullen is da Man!! Great adaptation. DVD purchase for sure.

Even though the film is already long, I wonder how much was cut and if there will be an 'extended edition' DVD with scenes put back in place. I'm sure they wouldn't put in scenes that would interfere with the continuity of #2, but I have a feeling there is a lot of other stuff.

Saw it last night at the Alamo here in Austin ... they had a 60 foot robosaurus eating cars and blowing fire out of its nose in the parking lot. They wanted Harry Knowles to get in its mouth, but he wasn't having it. I love this town. :)

The movie was better than I was expecting. Lots of fast sweeping shots, big explosions, very well done action scenes. It's not going to revolutionize cinema, but it was a lot of fun. I'd go see it again.

Oh, and I'd jump in a bathtub full of electric eels wrapped in tinfoil just for the chance to fold Megan Fox's delicates.

I happen to find it on Utube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isc9EqWRUaQ

BTW I'm planning to see it on the weekend and from what I'm hearing it's worth it.

Edited by gerwalk25