The Official Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread

There is an R2 remaster coming up, tons of extra's (including color version of the final episode), and hopefully we'll get a licensed version over here.

A color version of episode 6?? Why?! And... how?! The cels were painted and black and white!!

Hey, the miracles of computer editing my friend. This should be interesting to see. You know, maybe they had a color version of this episode all along and they were holding out... However, I think I will probably like the B&W version best.

I've already pre-ordered my set from CD Japan, and I should receive it along with my Gunbuster Perfect Guide DVD at the same time. I'll take some photos of the box art and other stuff when I get them to show you all what they look like. And you can also count on the screen captures of episode six as well. This is going to be sweet!

There is an R2 remaster coming up, tons of extra's (including color version of the final episode), and hopefully we'll get a licensed version over here.

A color version of episode 6?? Why?! And... how?! The cels were painted and black and white!!

What's the point in colorizing it?

Amusing story: someone in our local anime club recenlty bought an HK boot copy of Gunbuster. She thought her disc was defective because there was no color in the last episode.

Amusing story: someone in our local anime club recenlty bought an HK boot copy of Gunbuster.  She thought her disc was defective because there was no color in the last episode.

That's pretty funny.

On another note, YesAsia has these for sale coming in November. Click HERE. Now, for the price they are offering those for, they had best be some pretty damned fine looking figures. I just wish they had an image of them. And to be sure, I visited Kotobukiya's site and they do not have an image up either. Just a mention of when they are coming out.

Amusing story: someone in our local anime club recenlty bought an HK boot copy of Gunbuster.  She thought her disc was defective because there was no color in the last episode.

That's pretty funny.

On another note, YesAsia has these for sale coming in November. Click HERE. Now, for the price they are offering those for, they had best be some pretty damned fine looking figures. I just wish they had an image of them. And to be sure, I visited Kotobukiya's site and they do not have an image up either. Just a mention of when they are coming out.

Ask and you will receive.......quite small picture though.

post-26-1094691574_thumb.jpg

I just watched Gunbuster last night for the first time....wow. How the hell could manga resist making it one of their first DVD releases? And hell, if they have lost the rights (which they damn well should), why wouldn't anyone re-license this yet? Hopefully Bandai or Geneon will get a hold of it after the special addition.

I liked Gainax before, but I have a whole new respect after seeing this....which may be shattered after seeing the sequel. How the hell could they make a sequel???

Because true classics rarely get respect.

Special Edition DVD remastered with 5.1 DTS or DD please. ;)

Manga actually releasing it...I'll believe it when I see it. In Feb, I emailed Manga and got a quick...it's coming this year...yeah, yeah.

Edited by Gaijin

You've got to remember, Manga lied about extras on the End of Eva disc, didn't include the original sound mix, and mis-translated a very important line that fans begged them not to. I also heard that they also passed on Orguss when US Renditions went belly up. Not to mention that the only copy of Dangaio they released is completely and utterly butchered. Their promises aren't worth the time it takes reading them. As for the sequel, I'm holding all judgements aside until I see it in its entirety. I have faith in Gainax, and know that there has to be some value, however small, to this project. I just refuse to crucify something simply because of an artstyle. i already know that no matter how good this new show may or may not be, it's not going to be like watching Gunbuster. It could be better than Gunbuster, and I still won't prefer it. Trust me, having that simple knowledge definitely helps. It's like the Star Wars prequels. I enjoy them, but not on the same level as the OT.

I just watched Gunbuster last night for the first time....wow. How the hell could manga resist making it one of their first DVD releases? And hell, if they have lost the rights (which they damn well should), why wouldn't anyone re-license this yet? Hopefully Bandai or Geneon will get a hold of it after the special addition.

I liked Gainax before, but I have a whole new respect after seeing this....which may be shattered after seeing the sequel. How the hell could they make a sequel???

Welcome to the wonderful world of the true Gunbuster fan. I am always grateful to see a new fan of this anime emerge.

As for what Mercurial Morpheus said, I'm inclined to agree with him about his reservations until the whole series is released. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

As for the license thing, I told you I got an e-mail from Mike Egan at Manga which stated they have retained the license to Gunbuster. I'm not buying this until something is made concrete.

i have been a gunbuster fan since the early 90's, the only anime to bring a tear to my eye, until i saw the last episode of gungrave anyway. i always thought it was great, and even wanted the toy that was released. i think studio halfeye should get off their behind and make a transforming Gunbuster, that seperates to buster machine 1 and 2, hell if they can do it with getter robo, the gunbuster should be a piece of cake. BUSTER MISSILE

Edited by kanedaestes

Manga said they had the Giant Robo license too, right up until media blasters started hinting at it, so I wouldn't believe that bit. Then there's the fact that they've been claiming a fall release every year for the past 3-4 years...!

I'm actually tempted to pick up the R2 box set now when it's out. I was that impressed. The story & way that warp was handled was worth the price alone, the fanservice is the icing :)

Edited by Keith

Manga said they had the Giant Robo license too, right up until media blasters started hinting at it, so I wouldn't believe that bit. Then there's the fact that they've been claiming a fall release every year for the past 3-4 years...!

I'm actually tempted to pick up the R2 box set now when it's out. I was that impressed. The story & way that warp was handled was worth the price alone, the fanservice is the icing :)

The R2 box is going to be great! I can't wait to get mine. And if you have not seen them, there are two additional science lessons which were included on the Okaerinasai laserdisc boxed set. They will be included on this new set. The super-deformed Noriko dressed up as one of the Sailor Scouts is hilarious.

As for the science, some of it is factual such as time dilation, but very little else. The only other anime I've seen which used time dilation to a great extent was Voices of a Distant Star, which in a way loosely pays homage to Gunbuster. One other thing that is rarely known and qualifies as trivia is that the series' writers basically sat around with nothing to do and came up with the junk science used in the show. As for fanservice, you now know where jiggling breasts came from in anime, as is evident from Noriko's bounce in episode one.

Not sure how common the following term is internationally, but the phrase I've most often heard used among UK anime fandom is "Gainax bounce"...! :rolleyes:

That is exactly what it is known as here in the US. If it were just credited to Gainax by the anime series which have taken the liberty of using it, then it would be more widely known. Gainax should have patented it.

Gunbuster also opened up some other interesting things like the homing laser which have been copied also.

Get a load of this! If you want to have your girlfriend, wife, or dare I say it, yourself look like a character from the new Gunbuster series, then you need to see this image below. Yes, you too can be the clutzy and goofy Nono from the sequel, complete with full vinyl regalia. Go HERE to see this travesty.

Someone please shoot me...

post-26-1095306358_thumb.gif

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Yikes.

I said a lot stronger word than that when I saw this. And damn, the girl is kind of skanky looking. Nothing will ever top the original show's costumes. Even though they were more fan service than practical, at least they looked a hell of a lot better on the girls. These look like someone was doing LSD or crack.

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Its like everyone's reading my mind on their feelings about the original Gunbuster. Gunbuster has the same nostalgia value as Macross/R-word for me and a sequal like this insults the memories. At least they can't touch my ancient US Renditions tapes. Stay away Gainax, stay away.

You never know though, Macross 7 half redeemed itself in the later half of the series for a lot of fans. Gunbuster 2 might not be all bad...then again :(

here is a question, what is the new series about, i mean noriko and company where gone for like a thousand years or so, when exactly does this take place, and who are they fighting, and has anyone seen the new buster machines, are they called buster machine 4 and 5 and so on? or are they just going to forget about what happened all toegther in the first ova series? i sure hope not <_<

here is a question, what is the new series about, i mean noriko and company where gone for like a thousand years or so, when exactly does this take place, and who are they fighting, and has anyone seen the new buster machines, are they called buster machine 4 and 5 and so on? or are they just going to forget about what happened all toegther in the first ova series? i sure hope not <_<

Well for info on the plot go here.

www.toponeraegunbuster.com has sort of become the place for Gunbuster info for me... even if I did have a bit of a misunderstanding with it's webmaster over on another board.

And wasn't it 10, 000 years not 1, 000?

Edited by lord_breetai

Well, I have an abridged timeline which I never posted on my site dedicated to the original series, but I would have to say that the new series will fall into place sometime after the Galactic Core Attack Fleet returns to Earth, which was in the year 2245, a full 197 years after the start of Operation Calnedius. Lord only knows how far advanced mankind became during that time. I do know that within the timeline human rights were granted to whales and porpoises in this year and esper abilities of humans were becoming more common. It could be that is where the storyline is heading, and how they may link it with the original. If you recall in episode 6 that there were porpoises on the bridge of the Eltreum. Take a look at the image below. This is conception art from the original series. And Noriko and Kazumi got back to Earth on July 26, 14,292, some 12,244 years after mission's end.

artwork03.gif

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Yeah, I always wondered what the dolphins on the bridge were all about. They never explained that. Thanks, Nori.

My take on the new series: Half of me wants to hate it because it looks ridiculous, like every other crappy anime series out at the moment, yet half of me is trying to remind me how many years ago I thought the same after seeing designs from Macross 7.

Still, I don't see myself rushing out to see it the minute it comes out.