Yamato Toys in general

Aegis!

Are they getting worse with time ?  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Are they getting worse with time ?

• yes , toys are getting crappier , they´re not making the effort
    • no , their toys are getting a lot more nicer , it´s amazing
    • they´re the same as aslways

Ok , I´ve seen a trend with resent topics , we all end up discussing about their past and future works comparing them and reaching almost no definitive consensus.

I´ve been collecting their toys since the days of the M+ toys when they were going to release them in the states and all that.

Then they amazed us with the 1/60s as we never saw better renditions (1/55 and banpresto lovers could disagree) and shortly after with the awesome 1/48 which just plainly went out of our expectations.

Taking all that into account , what´s your take on the current and future situation with Yammies ?

Also , don´t wanna start another thread so I´ll ask this right here but , would fans want other companies to integrate into the valkyrie market ? kinda like Bandai or someone else ?

Yamato has always had their little quirks (as far back as the ever-famous "tab B"), but I think they've produced a consistently good product over the years. There are far worse mishaps that could have occured, and Yamato has never dissapointed me.

There isn't a choice for what I think af Yamato's quality. It seems as though when the first 1/72's came out, they were pretty cool looking and I think everyone was just happy that we were getting something new from the Macross universe. The VF-11B still is my favorite in the 1/72 series since the 19A didn't really look right, and the 21 was just plain old ugly in my eyes. However, I was pleased that they were making the stuff.

Enter the 1/60's. I was very impressed when the initial review was posted on this site about this toy. I guess I didn't realize how much removing the legs and lack of stability with this line would take away from the enjoyment of having them. But I still bought the 1S, 1A Hikaru and 1A Max, just so I could have them.

Now enter the 1/48's. This was a wet dream come true! Granted there were a lof of QC issues with this line, most of them were barley noticable when they were posed in certain ways. They have fixed the QC issues with the 1/48's and I am completely happy with this line.

Now they are making the VF-0, which almost seems like a few steps backwards as far as quality of design. It seems as though they pushed this one through to get it on the market in a hurry. I fear that this VF will become to 1/100's what the YF-19 became to the 1/72's.

The Monster is one that I am only mildly impressed with at this point. I'll wait for a few opinions from people that matter before I make a decision to buy one. As of right now, I'm more interested in learning how to make one from Legos.

I will not be collecting any more 1/60' or 1/72's unless they make a drastic change to the looks and transformation, or I can get them for dirt cheap. The 1/48 seem like the highest point Yamato has reached thus far, but I hope it doesn't stop with that line.

Edited by Metal_Massacre_79

despite my support for yamato in the various yamato sucks threads that go on around here... I do think that after the 1/48 line the quality and level of detail of yamato's macross products has gone down....

the FP editions of the mac plus toys... the yf-21 by most accounts was a mess, poor posability, tranformation locking system gone wonky (per grahams review) and the vf-11... well, the FPs were too small... way too small... an easy to spot mistake.

the Q-rau... high price point for a toy that had little in way of posability, features, detail or paint/detailing.

the 1/100 VF-0... unless something huge changes from the protopics to date... I think the VF-0 doesn't even match up to the original mac plus toys... similarly bad proportions but this time with poorer materials and part swapping.

so far, the monster looks like the only to be released toy that looks promising...

Getting worse? Not really sure about that, but of course, all I have in terms of comparison would be my 1/60's 'n 1/48's, so you guys probably get the idea. Now if YAMATO releases the VF-0 in the same aesthetic quality as in the pictures we are seeing right now, then that would be a first in terms of letdowns for me.

The 1/60s were not fully transformable without detaching parts?

The only 1/60 I have is the Rau.......and that cannot really be compared to a Valk!

I just love the way 1/48s are made and to me quality is not at all poor. Looking great, transforming well - just my precious little VFs! :D

To be honest I was a little (negative) surprised that the VF-0 hat detachable parts. I really thougth all Yammies were transformable in one piece. That of course is getting worse then....... :angry:

i'm picturing Yamato's current toy quality applied to their earlier releases... i'm picturing the 1:60 VF-1 with no diecast... it would LITERALLY be exactly the same quality as an $8 transformer (like from wal-mart), but it cost's $80!

now I'm picturing the Q-Rau...

EDIT: I forgot about the 1:60's leg detaching feature! don't get me wrong, I love my 1:60s... but take away their diecast content while taking into account the leg deal... and you've got a toy that is LOWER quality than an $8 transformer... for $80 (because, remember: lack of diecast metal ISN'T a cost-cutting measure)

Edited by DrClay

Honestly, the only abnormal Yamato is the VF-0S and they are intentionally cutting a lot of corners to lower cost. Everything else has been pretty good in some areas, and poor in others. Rarely, have they been consistent. The 1/48's were pretty good overall, but the quality was up and down through the different versions. The same can be said about the 1/60's.

To hell with cost cutting! If I'm willing to pay over $125.00 for a good looking 1/48 VF-1, who's to say that I'm not going to pay that much for a 1/48 VF-0 of the same quality as the second releases? I know the VF-0 (as well as the YF-19) would be bigger than a VF-1, but you're not really even getting that much more of a toy. Confused? These toys are HOLLOW inside the legs, arms, chest area, backpack. I can see there being a cost issue of these things were SOLID plastic, but come on! It wouldn't cost them anymore money to make a VF-0 in a matching scale to anything that has already come out.

But then again, the Monster would be a pain in the ass to afford in even a 1/72 scale.

What the hell?

Why are ppl bashing Yamato so much? Bottom line is this, you don't like it don't buy it.

At the time, we all loved the M+ toys because 1) they were M+ toys and 2) someone actually had the guts to make some good high quality M+ VFs. And yes, they are high quality. They had good articulation, good metal content and aside from a few QC issues, they are quite solid - all four of my M+ valks are still in great shape (19, 19A, 11 and 21 - All first version valks!

And at the time, we all loved the 1/60 line. We praised the sculpt and although some ppl did bemoan the detachable legs, we agreed that the lack of swingbars was nice. So I feel that comparing the 1/60s to an $8 transformer from wal-mart is quite unfair.

As for the QC issues of the 1/48, well, given the fact that they are far more complex than any other VF, I think the amount of QC issues encountered has been pretty good... I've had four, and the only problem I've had is a cracked part when I forced it in the wrong direction.

And its not like Yamato has just kept releasing the same buggy product. There have been improvements on nearly every version.

Rant over.

Ok, what is the beef?

We all have to realize that we have lost our insider. ;)

Sure he's the man on the boards but he can't get the goods like he used to.

Hell, I can see it in his posts.

When he was in it was sweet but now, things have changed without his/our input

Yamato is not getting the ideas from fans it used to and it might hurt them in the long run.

Sure the product may not be up to everyone's liking but it is still being produced.

Think about it, if the VF-0 wasn't being made some of us here would be pissed.

(There are a few of us here waiting for the VF-4 and VF-2ss :rolleyes: )

If it does hit the streets as is, I'm sure the brainiacs here would find a way to fix it.

Me, I like just getting the damn things It's my hobby.

If they make something I don't want or like it stays at the store.

-Has the quality gone south?

IMHO, not really. It did get better with the 1/48, but change the product and you have new bugs to fix.

-If they switch to a bigger scale would it get better?

That is a stronger possiblity. But the time on the drawing board would take longer.

And the price would go up.

-Is it possible they have too much on their plate due to fan requests?

Hell yeah!! Again as we all know they are not Bandai or whoever, so they need to take it a step at a time for now. (Even after merging with Konami.) Get a few more notches on the belt then go for the gusto.

They're about the same IMO.

I compare my M+ toys to my 1/60 to my 1/48's... They go up and down between versions. Sometime fatal and near fatal flaws (VF-11B hips and 1/48 backpack hinge come to mind), along with the occassional vaporware product (1/60 FP upgrades, YF-19FP)...

Still the best Macross toys around.

To hell with cost cutting!... These toys are HOLLOW inside the legs, arms, chest area, backpack. I can see there being a cost issue of these things were SOLID plastic, but come on!...

Working for a Plastic Toy Company I can assure you that the material (Plastic, no matter of ABS, PVC or any other) is not the expensive part here!

The most expensive part of doing such toys is creating the mould where the parts are injection moulded!

These things are made out of metall, are very heavy, have (occassionally) water cooling and cost up to a few 100K per pc! Depending on the size of it.- the bigger the more expensive. And that is for every single piece like a hand, a wheel or an antenna!

Now you would think doing a lot of smaller parts comes cheaper!?

No matter if you do smaller parts, cost will not go down - you need more moulds!!! And more assembly = more humans = more costs!

However I think Yamato made quite a fortune with the old moulds as the only changes they had where the paint jobs and the heads!

So they where up-using there molds to get quantity, sales and in the end revenue!

PS: If you want to know more about how plastics get in their form PM me! :D

I agree with Crisp here. I manufacture aluminum dies for injection molded plastics myself, this is where the major production expenses come in to play. It is actually cheaper and easier to tool solid parts using 2 part molds than it is for hollow parts using up to 5 part molds... Though costs have come down quite a bit in the last few years due to the CNC revolution.

I feel that comparing the 1/60s to an $8 transformer from wal-mart is quite unfair.

you misunderstand my post.

the question was something along the lines of "is the quality of Yamato's offerings going down?"

my answer is yes. my reasoning is that if the 1:60 (which is a wonderful toy) was made like the q-rau and the vf-0—ie they were diecast-less they WOULD be no better than an $8 transformer.

I was directly comparing an earlier yamato release to the current crop to illustrate their superiority.

your post seems to strengthen my statement... your defense of yamato is to reference their earlier releases as great toys. everyone (well, most everyone) agrees that Yamato has produce a great macross line before. it's the current line-up that's in question.

I guess I've over-estimated my ability to communicate... again.

<_< well personally for me it is hard to say, I remember when i first purchased a yamato YF-19 i thought it was the coolest thing...now my favorite is the 1/48 hikaru vf-1s with fp, but i see yamato going downhill with the 1/100 macross zero stuff. just my opinion, but i think yamato would make more money if they kept producing 1/48s in different sculpts, namely mac + stuff. ;)

Yamato always has achilles heel's with each release culminating in the not so problematic and BEST line so far, the 1/48 VF-1.

VF-19 v1.0-TAB B

Yf-21-one of the hinges was weak

Vf-11B 1.0-hey open me aw crap! m weak legs!

VF-1 1/60 line-ball joints F*** yuea!!! watch us danc---crap. Hey can you put my legs back on?

1/48-HEYYYYYYYYY BP8!! SNAP!!

so yes each of yamato's releases has an achilles heel. At least wiuh the 1/48, during initial releases, and during its inception, yamato placed paper in the box saying not to stress BP8 out and most of us warned each other about it as well.

so yes. Nothing is perfect but the 1/48 so far has been the most enjoyable and least problematic. But yamato really should make that part out of diecast or POM. what the hell why is it plastioc?

*BTW who the hell is ateliar sai? and what has happened to our famed nishikawa san? The 1/00 Vf-0 sculpt SUCKS!! UGH!! man crap lke that makes me wish Billy wong still sculpted macross stuff!

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

While Yamato is a hit and miss company, their recent track record has been pretty good IMO.

On the hit side, the 1/48 VF-1 toys and FAST packs were amazing. I also love the Q-Rau, I think it's a beautiful sculpt. The VB-6 looks amazing so far. The display stands get a passing grade from me as well, even though you can't place an FP eqiuipped 1/48 upside down on the stand :p

As for misses, well, the GPB armor, turned out disappointing, despite being made of sturdy plastic and the upcoming 1/100 VF-0S just looks plain wrong.

IMO a lot of the problem is not so much with the factories Yamato uses or the QC (or lack of it), but rather with the choice of sculptor. Chose a good sculptor, like Nishikawa-san for the 1/48 or the unknown ex-bandai MG scuptor who did the 1/48 FPs or even the IHP guy who is doing the VB-6 and you get a good product. On the other hand, chose a crap sculptor and/or a sculptor who is not a Macross fan....cough, cough Billy Wong and you get less than satisfactory toys. Obviously, the sculptors at ateliar sai are third rate at best!

Graham

While Yamato is a hit and miss company, their recent track record has been pretty good IMO.

On the hit side, the 1/48 VF-1 toys and FAST packs were amazing. I also love the Q-Rau, I think it's a beautiful sculpt. The VB-6 looks amazing so far. The display stands get a passing grade from me as well, even though you can't place an FP eqiuipped 1/48 upside down on the stand :p

As for misses, well, the GPB armor, turned out disappointing, despite being made of sturdy plastic and the upcoming 1/100 VF-0S just looks plain wrong.

IMO a lot of the problem is not so much with the factories Yamato uses or the QC (or lack of it), but rather with the choice of sculptor. Chose a good sculptor, like Nishikawa-san for the 1/48 or the unknown ex-bandai MG scuptor who did the 1/48 FPs or even the IHP guy who is doing the VB-6 and you get a good product. On the other hand, chose a crap sculptor and/or a sculptor who is not a Macross fan....cough, cough Billy Wong and you get less than satisfactory toys. Obviously, the sculptors at ateliar sai are third rate at best!

Graham

heh hey graham, at least billy wong was able to design each mac plus toy(mostnotioriously known for being difficult to make transformable in 3d) to be perfect variable, something ateler sai has obviously failed to do!!!

man that sickens me to know its a GROUP of people not just one sculptor!!!

Hey graham, does nishikawa even work for yamato anymore? heres hoping he defected to bandai and bandai puts out a perfect variable poenix chhhhhunky monkey

Hey graham, does nishikawa even work for yamato anymore?  heres hoping he defected to bandai and bandai puts out a perfect variable poenix chhhhhunky monkey

From what I understand, Nishikawa-san was/is freelance and actually works for a company called Flex Co. He was never an actual fulltime employee of Yamato. I think he was hired specifically for the 1/48 project only.

AFAIK, most Japanese toy companies, even giants like Bandai do not usually employ full time in-house sculptors. If my understanding of the situation is correct, most toy sculptors/designers in Japan are either freelance or work for smaller production companies and are hired out by the big toy companies on a per-project basis.

I think the more famous designers like Nishikawa-san and the guys who do the MG/PG models and SOC toys are often booked years in advance and are in such high demand that they can to some extent pick and chose which projects they want to work on.

Graham

So they use different scuplters for the toys? Well that does not bode well for a 2 seater vf-1 then. They would have to re-hire that wouldn't they?

hey if nishikawa san can come up with a transformation NONE of us figured out until it was finally unveiled upon graham getting the first 1/48 sample, then I am pretty sure that modding his creation wouldn't be too hard for him to pull off. He did work on some of the 1/60 line as well so the dude has experience making 2 seaters.

So they use different scuplters for the toys?  Well that does not bode well for a 2 seater vf-1 then. They would have to re-hire that wouldn't they?

hey if nishikawa san can come up with a transformation NONE of us figured out until it was finally unveiled upon graham getting the first 1/48 sample, then I am pretty sure that modding his creation wouldn't be too hard for him to pull off. He did work on some of the 1/60 line as well so the dude has experience making 2 seaters.

maybe we should start a letter writing campaign to get him to come back and do more work for yamato...?

or we could have a fund raiser... there was this one school, I think in oregon...? where the school didn't have the funds for enought eachers so the community go together and raised the money themselves...

we could do something like that... car washes, bake sales... we could hold up placards with pictures of the 1/100 VF-0...

"Don't let bad toys happen to good people!"

i would say that the toys seem to be getting consistantly better, but now that they've given up their close connection to the consumer base the toys that they have announced leave a little to be desired. as exo mentioned, they do have a few other things working against them as well, but the basic toys have been getting better with each new toy. i'm guessing we've just found ourselves at a rough spot for yamato, more interesting things will surely be in the works.

edit--grammar good

Edited by motley

alot of peeps here seem to be referencing a comparison between the Mac+ valks and the 1:48s as proof that yamato's toys are getting better.

Now, I agree that the 1:48 is a better toy than the old 1:72s, but what about since then? would you say that the hollow, machbox-esque Q-Rau is a better quality toy than the 1:48? what about the grossly inaccurate and banpresto-like 1:100 VF-0? sure, up to the 1:48, each successive release from yamato was better than the last... but unless I'm mistaken, time has continued on and the newest offerings from yamato are NOT better than the 1:48 was. In fact. i'd venture to say that they are not even AS GOOD as the original Mac+ toys... sure the vf-11 was flawed, but subsequent releases have fixed the problem... in order to fix the 1:100 Vf-0, Yamato would have to make an entirely different toy.

I compare the first and latest releases from yamato and I see an overall decline in quality... the fact that there was a peak in the middle only makes the latest toys look worse in my eyes.

P.S. I have high hopes for the monster... but then again, I had high hopes for the Q-rau... I'll wait till it is released before I see if it turns the tide of Yamato's decline.

How can you imrove on the Q-rau?(toy, not the Millia figure) Put in unecessary die-cast? The sculpt is as good as you can ask for. You can complain about the price but not about the toy itself. I'd say that the Q-Rau is a better toy than the hideous Mac + releases. I'm thinking that since they started designing the toys in Japan with CAD, there's only going to be improvement. Hopefully, gone are the days of the floppy 1/60s and the crappy fit of the 1/72s.

How can you imrove on the Q-rau?(toy, not the Millia figure) Put in unecessary die-cast? The sculpt is as good as you can ask for. You can complain about the price but not about the toy itself. I'd say that the Q-Rau is a better toy than the hideous Mac + releases. I'm thinking that since they started designing the toys in Japan with CAD, there's only going to be improvement. Hopefully, gone are the days of the floppy 1/60s and the crappy fit of the 1/72s.

well...

tighter joints in the hips...

more weight in the legs for better stability.

better elbow joint, something like the elbow they use in the perfect grade gundam kits.

detailing or stickers for the cockpit... pretty plain.

some caps for the screw holes ( they used to do this, why did they stop?)

personally, I love my yf-21fp... kinda' like how i love my chunky monkey.

but when I hold the hollow shell of a q-rau... i think "where's my $120?"

I know everyone and their mother hates die-cast metal, but the q-rau goes too far in the other direction, it feels like those double sized bootleg transformers... or the matchbox invid toys... or those 2 foot tall power ranger toys, except those cost $30.

i mean, look at the 1:48... it doesn't seem like a hollow cast that used to have a toy in it. nor does it seem like an incrediblly simplistic model prebuilt with minimal details stamped on... it doesn't have die-cast metal, but it is so much better than that oversized mcdonald's toy Q-rau... which is less poseable (and less substantial) than the toynami action figures.

the only good things about the q-rau:

1.) it's a q-rau (aka, there's no competition: you gots no choice)

2.) it looks good in photos (as long as you can't touch it)

the mac+ yamatos were the best thing around back when they came out. there was the superb S.H.E. YF-21 and then yamato cam out with a more detailed, better proportioned TOY version of it! The YF-19 was rather pudgy, but not as pudgy as any of ban-dai's offerings. and who had heard of a tiny start-up company who's whole deal was making Macross toys for adult collectors? Ban-Dai had an occasional die-cast gundam, or chogokin, but they're safe... yamato was going out on a limb for us... but now, they charge $11 per inch: q-rau is approx. 11" tall: $120! regardless of all other factors. following this trend I can see them releasing an "action figure" of roy or something that is a single piece of plastic that's 2' tall and costs $270... or worse yet, a complete P.O.S. valk that everyone agrees is terrible, but it's terrible because it's "cheap" (ie: $50-$60 our price)

bottom line: even if you don't feel jacked by the q-rau, it's no 1:48 VF-1 that's for certain. even if you think that terrible q-rau is better than the wonderful mac+ valks, they're headed down a slippery slope towards the horrible horrible 1:100 Vf-0...

BTW die-cast metal is a very special thing to me. i don't know how so many people here can hope and pray that their hobby becomes "paying to have a sweatshop worker hastily piece together a hollow plastic model for them" i mean, models are ok, but that's not my hobby. I like masterpiece optimus prime and takatokus and soul of chogokin toys... that perfect grade gundam model i got standing in the corner doesn't do it for me, and it never will... it's perfectly proportioned and ludicrously detailed, but in the end it's pile of polystyrene. even my little soundwave reissue has got it beat IMO. I wish I could explain better... it's not the die-cast metal itself, but rather the attitude the toy makers had when they figured out a way to include it, and the company that paid the factory to put up with all the "terrible" inconvenience of manufacturing with die-cast in order to produce a classic toy. for example: no one likes beast wars toys better than G1 transformer toys, even though beast wars toys are better proportioned, more detailed, more articulate, oftentimes more complicated, and usually larger than the average G1 toy, they just aren't classics. they don't age well, they just get old. i don't think die-cast is the cause of that "classic" status.. i think die-cast being included in a toy is one of the results of a manfacturer taking extra special care to make an extraordinary product. sure, it's unecessary, but toys are unecessary... unless you use your toys as tools... or eat them... or something... i'm sad that IF a new yf-19 comes out, it'll probably the same as an Energon transformer... except for the ridiculous price (and for all you "don't like it? don't buy it!" people... i think you know what it's like to really lust after a future toy release... it's a huge disappointment to wait for MONTHS only to find out from a review at the last minute that you won't like it and now you'll never ever get it.)

well, i'll stop ranting for now... i just wish that SOMEONE agreed with me. :(

... i just wish that SOMEONE agreed with me. :(

I do - at least partly (not about Die-Cast but about quality)! :D

What we are seeing is to me something like Yamato would be saying:

"We need to get away from these terrible expensive Die-Cast-Babes in 1/48. We need to use plastic only, make it smaller - so we will sell more and earn more profit at the same time!"

We must also not forget that these terrible big boxes need to be stocked and shipped as well - another cost coming into the count!

However the box has got the size because of the price of course! The higher the price - the bigger the box!

Doesn't somebody know how Yamatos statistics were about the 1/48? Did they make any money in the end with them? I would think so, but there must be some figures floating on Japanese Economy watches or similar..... :unsure:

well, i'll stop ranting for now... i just wish that SOMEONE agreed with me.

I agree with you in just about all respects in your message. I think more highly of my VF-19A than I do of my 1/60 VF-1S. I have a Masterpiece Optimus (japanese) and when I took the massive toy out of the box and felt that cold hard weight in my hands, it brought a very odd warm feeling in my heart. There is something about die-cast that, I know when I'm holding these toys I don't have to worry about crushing them in my hand, the fact that I could drop it and it could put a dent in the floor and be undammaged seems very comforting. I have to agree with you that when companies put die-cast in a toy they are saying to me, we want this to last, we're serious about this product. I can take my jetfire out of the closet and see that it has turned completely yellow except for the die-cast parts. I like my bandai reissues, I like knowing that at times it could be a multipurpose object. I could be holding my chunky monkey when a burgler breaks into my house, all I have to do is throw my chunky monkey at him and I know he'll either be dead or unconcious. That aside, I can't explain why I like it, I just do. I have nothing against plastic toys, but I have a problem with things that feel extremely fragile and light.

Edited by marx