VF Girls

polidread

...you can always tell when an American artist is trying to draw japanese!

correction: you can always tell when a wannabe manga/anime artist TRIES to draw mecha/anime characters.

317033[/snapback]

What the hell?

Sundown is right, I agree with part with what LordSixx says. Western artists drawing anime/manga always seems to miss something (even my work is like that). But hell, I do want to be an anime/manga artist, I wouldn't even consider drawing in any other style. And I'm gonna keep drawing in manga style until I master it and make it look genuine.

You're more than welcome to give constructive criticisms on the artwork here, but if you come in just to insult people you can f*ck off.

If you like starting flame wars so much, go make a macross 7 thread or something.

Edited by bake_art

...you can always tell when an American artist is trying to draw japanese!

correction: you can always tell when a wannabe manga/anime artist TRIES to draw mecha/anime characters.

317033[/snapback]

What the hell?

Sundown is right, I agree with part with what LordSixx says. Western artists drawing anime/manga always seems to miss something (even my work is like that). But hell, I do want to be an anime/manga artist, I wouldn't even consider drawing in any other style. And I'm gonna keep drawing in manga style until I master it and make it look genuine.

You're more than welcome to give constructive criticisms on the artwork here, but if you come in just to insult people you can f*ck off.

If you like starting flame wars so much, go make a macross 7 thread or something.

317125[/snapback]

The reason some western artists can't "ddo" manga and anime right is due to the fact that they percieve it as simply a style rather than a "way". If you look at Lone Wolf and Cub and Blade of the Immortal..and many other manga, they do not look like the stereotypical manga with big eyes simplistic linework and plain visuals. ALL manga share something in common, style has NOTHING to do with it. Manga for the most part is telling a visual story in a fast pace...the reader has to get what the hell is happening in that one panel and his or her eyes have to be able to "flow" to the next panel easily. Where as western comics such as marvel and DC(aside their manga licenses) can take their time for stories, manga is meant to be read and understood RIGHT away. Remember in japan a lot of manga is produced in a faster rate than american comics...and are put out faster. Not to mention are read on the daily subway ride to work by many businessmen. This does not mean that all the stories in manga have to be rushed and every issue needs a definite beginning and "happily ever after" ending, but that the story visuals have to be UNDERSTOOD faster and as a consenquence, read faster at the same time. Not speed reading, but its a whole mental thing. Say for example I draw a guy hitting a baseball with a bat, if I were to do an americanized comic, I would show the steps of hitting the ball, whereas if I were to do a manga, I might just have one panel showing the ball already hit, and the bat with "delayed" speed lines conveying the notion that it just hit the ball. That's basically the jist of it, not everything has to happen immediately, but your art has to HIT the viewer immediately, he has to know whats going on the minute he sees the panel.

It is painfully obvious to see those doing manga right and those who do it wrong. Just because it may resemble anime may not dictate nor define it being manga. And doing something like big anime eyes is only done well when someone KNOWS the reasons behind it(this case being that if a main character is relatively short....in reality the eyes would be small but on screen it would be very hard to see the eyes...hence the notion of big eyes). Anime stylistic stuff can only be done right once one knows when and where to do things...like shading..on a dark side not on a light, et al.

And it does not matter if you are japanese or not, samurai m's comments are totally correct,lord sixx's is very very wrong, and there are a good number of american artists who can do anime and manga right. Bake, poli, TWDC, BOB, and many others here are doing a good job.

And they post frequently and get along pretty well..not to mention have a lot off art here.

Lord sixx posts here, calls us all wannabes, but where is HIS art?

*not trying to flame but I am trying to prove a point here*

Anyways sorry for not adding any drawings yet guys..but there WILL be some once I finish this darn bio class. grrrr

Just want to add my two cents here. Every drawing that has come out in ths thread has been awsome. Granted all I can do is tech drawings and not like these guys, but each one has own unquie style that should be apprciated. I know I do, even though, the artist hasnt mastered a style, but hell you got to give the guy credit for doing what he can.

All I can say other than that guys is, Keep up the damn good work!!!! You guys are awsome! :D:D

• 3 months later...

Walang Problema!

sorry if i havent been updating XP real life's been interfering with my Macross :p

and here i am, offering old art for remuneration. she was supposed to be Samurai M's website mascot, hopefully he wont mind me sharing her here.

valkyrie01.jpg

valkyrie02copy.jpg

not neccesarily a Variable Fighter, but a Valkyrie in familiar mecha armor nonetheless..

one more.

345967[/snapback]

Going for a Mikimoto-style watercolor with that one? Looks good!

345995[/snapback]

thx! yep trying to go for mikimoto-style. now i'm pretty much enjoing to use it. it's more dificult to use than a computer(you can't make a mistake) but at the same time it is faster(my pc sucks) and the results aren't so "artificial".

those are my previous attempts. they are off topic but i think there is no problem posting them here. (didnt finish rei)

post-180-1132545688.jpg

post-180-1132545705_thumb.jpg

Edited by akt_m

Again, I've staying in the real world for the past few months. I'm really glad to see new posts and artwork here in MacrossWorld. :)

Yes poli, when are you gonna post some more of your valk girls?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

a valk-girl, bake-art asked me to colour it. i should have done some white stars but i'm going to add it later. hope you guys are going to like it. (it does not reflect what is actually on the paper, i changed the contrast/bright/saturation in order to give it better colours)

post-180-1141253793_thumb.jpg

Yo polidread nice drawings but I have a personal request, can you please do a VF-2SS Valkyrie 2 girl for me? if not thats fine

Nice drawings as well White Drew Carey, you got some B)):) talent