New Sky Captain trailer!

The visuals are really cool... not so sure about the movie, though.

In this case, I think I'll be more forgiving than usual if the story is weak. I watched that trailer here at work with no sound, and all I could do was sit there with my mouth gaping. The zeppelins, the searchlights, the robots...all of it just looks so very gorgeous.

it looks pretty good i heard this is a trilogy could be interesting, did anyone watch the underwater battle, there is something i thought i would never see in life, WWII style planes fighting underwater. :lol: i love the retro look to it.

Edited by zeo-mare

Ummm, this movie kinda scares me, with it's reliance on almost enirely CG-created environments.

It has so many elements that are cool, and that I personally like... like I dig the whole Rocketeer/ Iron Giant vibe goin' on, but... we'll just haveta see wether or not it all 'works'. Lucas pretty much showed us with the past 2 SW flix how hard it is for actors to put forth believable performances in front of largely blue/ green screen sets.

The biggest red flag for me, however: despite her CFM lips, I hold no hope that any film that Angelina Joli is in will be worth a damn.

Edited by Amped

The visuals are really cool... not so sure about the movie, though.

In this case, I think I'll be more forgiving than usual if the story is weak. I watched that trailer here at work with no sound, and all I could do was sit there with my mouth gaping. The zeppelins, the searchlights, the robots...all of it just looks so very gorgeous.

Totally agree with you... it looks so damn cool that it makes me nervous.

It's like - "well anything that looks that cool can't be good... can it?" :lol:

I'm probably being too cynical.

As for Angelina and her eyepatch... I didn't mention her to g/f. That's my motivation. She can keep Jude. :p

Ummm, this movie kinda scares me, with it's reliance on almost enirely CG-created environments.

That's the part that scares me. It experimental at the level it's trying to achieve. I was really looking forward to the Final Fantasy movie, but it turned out to be an Aliens clone. What could have been one of the most imortant films made... :rolleyes:

It could suck but it looks way more promising than most films and also original. What scares me the most in films is a large cast of famous actors. I usually prefer films with people you never heard of. Thus, the filmmakers have to rely on a good story and good word of mouth instead of pretty faces.

• 4 weeks later...

the movie looks really good...!!!! :D

but i know what is gonna happen with audiences...as clueless as they are these days about the history of pop-culture or history in general! :huh:

i hope they realize that this movie is a tribute, so to speak ,to the movie serials of the 1930' and early 40's.

in any event those who know what's up will get it...those who don't won't. :D

This movie reminds me of the anime Big O and the game Crimson Skies for xbox.

one more thing does anyone see the old deformed person that grabs a guy and starts to whisper something in his ear. from what i can see that is yoda. look very much like yoda he does.

Edited by ~Duo~Trenten

but i know what is gonna happen with audiences...as clueless as they are these days about the history of pop-culture or history in general! :huh:

I say the hell with those audiences. Audiences are dumb, and I'm sick of movies getting dumbed down just so they can pander to the lowest common denominator. If Joe Sixpack and Suzy Homemaker don't like Sky Captain, they can just go to Wal Mart and buy some insipid Adam Sandler movie on DVD to wash the taste away.

Of course, that won't get any sequels made.

• 1 month later...

I saw a free preview of Sky Captain last night and here is my review:

To anybody that enjoyed the visuals of the trailer - you will not be disappointed in the visuals of the movie. The effects are nothing short of gorgeous and insanely detailed. I'm not the type to find small flaws or notice a revolver that magically fires 7 rounds... but I what I did notice was an incredible attention to little touches. Everything in Sky Captain's world is completely retro-future from the knobs on radar devices to the camera Gwyneth lugs around the entire movie. Without a doubt, most of the enjoyment the movie brings comes from being part of Sky Captain's world for a couple of hours.

The story... where here's where it gets tricky. Do you like old movies? Do you like the way old radio and film serials have their own rhythm and style? Don't go see Sky Captain looking for an updated take on classic themes and characters. The story is as retro as the visual effects - which is good and bad. Alot of things stretch the realms of plausibility, but in that way that an old Flash Gordon or Lone Ranger serial did. It's done for a reason, but it's not for everyone's tastes. My fiance and I were completely in love with it, because we tend to watch old movies at home, but my friend and his g/f were a bit thrown by the dialogue and pacing. The movie is a thrill ride, but it's not like your modern action/adventure film.

Sky Captain is essentially made to be as much like the movies that inspired the Indiana Jones films or Star Wars as possible. So, in effect, you end up with a movie that feels older than either of those "new classics". It's pretty easy to imagine the X-Box generation not getting it and wishing the movie had more bang and less mood. It's hard for me to say - but I imagine that most of the complaints will be from people who went to the theater expecting something like The Mummy or another movie that takes an old concept, then basically keeps only trace elements of the original to make a modern action bash. This ain't that movie. Sky Captain is as if somebody went back in time with team of CGI badasses and made a movie to thrill audiences from the 40's.

The acting... Jude Law is excellent, as is Angelina in what really is a very brief role, almost a cameo. The real surprise here is Giovanni Ribisi, whom I usually am bored by onscreen. His character, the mechanic/Q from Bond of the film just nails his performance as the guy who makes everything work. As for Gwyneth - she bugs. Mainly it's that her character is really a drag to the story, basically getting in the way of Sky Captain and Co. and that's not really her fault. The thing is - she does her best to be an old school ingenue, but it just doesn't fly. Hepburn, Bacall, Bergman - these women could get in the way of the hero and cause problems the entire movie and you'd still love them. You just never feel that way with her. She never wins you over. In the end, you still think Jude should leave her on a remote mountaintop and go hook up with Angelina or his "best friend" Giovanni or a gaint robot or anyone else.

Despite her annoyingness, she tries and it shows and she never ruins the film or even slows it down too much. The movie is a great deal of fun, all the way through. I think to the average moviegoer this movie would be fun to look at and a great diversion while eating popcorn for a few hours. To anyone who's ever read old comics, or read HG Wells, or watched hours of old movies and delighted in it - this movie is like a feast. There's just so much to enjoy - I can guarantee I'll watch this on DVD probably 50 times. I'm not even really curious about the green screen effects or the filming - which is rare for me - I just want to enjoy the movie and see all the details. There's millions of nods to older scifi and movie icons, if you look for them. From the look of things, a great deal of love went into making this movie.

I could be wrong, maybe audiences will surprise me and eat the film up like I did - but it's hard to imagine that modern kids won't find some of the ideas hokey or "teh lame". In a world where Van Helsing actuals makes money instead of inspiring city-wide riots, I'm usually the odd guy out.

The coolest thing about the movie is that you know that it looks the way that old directors, forced to use plastic rocket ships on fishing line and guys in cardboard robot suits, wanted their movies to look. Unlike a "special edition" remake of Star Wars, where certain things seem to be added in CGI just because they can and certain things seem out of place in what is really a 1977 setting - nothing in Sky Captain doesn't look exactly like the imagination of a bygone era. To me, that's what makes it better than 99% of big budget action movies. But it could be the same reason that people might not get it at all.

Blaine, you suck!

ok you don't... but I hate your luck that you got to see it already!

Screw the XboxGen... Mwuahaha... I'm glad they won't like it, it probably means I will.

This and The Incredibles should make up for a horrible year. (and Garden State too, great movie!)

Screw the XboxGen... Mwuahaha... I'm glad they won't like it, it probably means I will.

That's right! PS2Gen all the way!! :p:lol::p:lol:

Blaine, you suck!

Yeah! I say we nuke him from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. :p

But yeah, awesome review. Makes me glad I'm draggin' my friends to see it friday.

DA

Looks like a fun movie... :)

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I do indeed suck. The weird thing was that they announced free passes at a local record store in the paper to be given away Saturday morning. They also had free passes to Wimbledon for a screening tonight at a chick boutique across the street.

When we showed up, we easily got the Sky Cap passes, but apparently the Wimbledon tickets were a hotter draw than Marlboros in Cellblock D. Which sucks because now I'm gonna have to pay to take her to that flick. :rolleyes:

Another thing I forgot to mention about Sky Captain - go see it on a big screen with a good sound system. Very few movies do I even notice if the sound is good and this was definitely one of them.

If I'm any indication, you guys will dig this movie quite a bit - it's easily the biggest retro film to ever hit the screens. If I owned a movie theater, I'd probably show Sky Captain and the Iron Giant as a double feature. Or maybe the Rocketeer.

A movie with WWII fighter planes, I'm gonna love this movie. But The Netherlands is almost always late with the premieres: October 21st... :angry:

• 4 weeks later...

After working at AMC Theatres for two months, I finally got a chance to go watch a movie for free. I decided to check Sky Captain out, and I must say that it's a pretty good film. It may lack originality and the plot seems rushed, but if you're looking for a decent Saturday Matinee film, Sky Captain delivers.

Too bad its box office record didn't make up for its $60+ million budget.

It didn't? That's a terrible crime. It was one of the best films of it' kind to come out in the past several years. But, like a friend of mine said a dew nights ago when we were talking about how quality movies/tv series/just about anything tends to fail or fall way short, while mediocre and really bad stuff tends to do much better, "Americans are ruining America."

Caught the Sunday matinee showing at the Village in Westwood with a friend, well worth the money. It was cool to hear the Martian war machine death ray sound effect from "War of the Worlds" in Sky Captain. I was able to catch a few nods to previous sci-fi films like the platform 327 exchange on Cloud City in ESB. It's an entertaining two hours.

It didn't? That's a terrible crime. It was one of the best films of it' kind to come out in the past several years. But, like a friend of mine said a dew nights ago when we were talking about how quality movies/tv series/just about anything tends to fail or fall way short, while mediocre and really bad stuff tends to do much better, "Americans are ruining America."

The American public in general is stupid. It's the sad and awful truth when you consider how little quality films make yet something like "Jackass: The Movie" can be very successful.

Anyways, Sky Captain's DVD sales should even things out and coevr the budget. Movies no longer fail financially thanks to DVDs.

Just saw the film last night. It was delightfully cheesy and somewhat entertaining in an adolescent kind of way. Basically the film is what you would get if modern filmmaking technology was available in the 1940's. The story reads just like an old golden age comic book including all the dated science fiction technology, the ridiculous logic leaps, the cliched characters, and the end-of-the-world plot.

Sky Captain was hit and miss for me. I appreciated the fact that the film wasn't trying to be anything other than what it was; a dated but bold tale of high adventure with genuine humor and great visuals. So many modern films try to be something they are not, so it's refreshing to be given the dope straight up. However, Sky Captain is part on an era of storytelling that I never did think of highly. Unlike George Lucas and his age group, I did not grow up on Flash Gordon. A modern film presented to me like a golden age comic book (with 1940s-50s storytelling standards) just doesn't do it for me. I was rather taken with the Indiana Jones-like feel of the film, but it wasn't modernized enough for a younger generation. My suspension of disbelief was hindered, which I admit is a silly standard coming from a science fiction and fantasy fan such as myself. Nevertheless, Sky Captain failed to reach the level of that odd, internal benchmark of mine.

Another thing that bothered me is my own "sophisticated" (using this loosely) tastes for mechanical monsters. Unlike anime, most of the "giant robot" stories in North America have not progressed in design significantly. Nor have the original designs aged well. Unlike the U.S.S. Enterprise and the X-Wing Fighter, simplistic giant robots with can-shaped heads and unsightly ball-joints look just as dated now as they did then. Compared to japanese giant robot designs of even 20 years ago (like our own Macross Valkyrie or the Gundam), the mechanical monsters in Sky Captain really failed to impress me. Which is again an odd criticism since I think the Iron Giant is a worthy North American animation. Nonetheless, the criticism is honest. I wish North American artists would advance the design of giant robots like they have with small scale robots (Robocop, Terminator, Star Wars, et cetera). It's a shame North American writers always need to return to the silly golden age designs whenever they want to tell a story featuring giant robots.

Well, that's about all for my review. I did enjoy my time in the theatre watching Sky Captain, but it isn't a film I'd rush out to watch again. Won't be buying the DVD on this one.

"Lense cap..."

:)