MPC Alpha @ MW Con 4

I am wuite impressed with the Alpha's detail.  Finally is seems Toynami has done justice.  Price is a little steep, but with 80+free shipping offers I can live with it.  I don't want the blue one though.

BTW, I would have brought the valk doll encased in GLASS.  And XSTOYS has all 3 helmets? :o

Daaamn.

If it's the shipping that bothers you, the man that started the thread is offering free shipping on these. ;)

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=7368

These boy shoulda hit the water today, 2 weeks for the trip and 1 week for customs as estimated by one of your friendly neighboorhood Valk-pimpers. I'm so glad that'll be after SDCon... whew...

yes the gun mounts on either side... wonder if we can do a gun recast to get a double mounted Alpha.

Also the one thing that makes it less than perfect transformation is that the shoulder mounted antenna during Fighter has to be removed... oh well... that's fine by me..

that's why I said 80$+free shipping offer = OK with me ;)

I think the funniest thing about the Alpha is that it still has prototype pics used on the inside of the "box" packaging with the painted canopy.

Actually, that's a pretty common practice. Packages and box art are often concurrently designed with the product and have a extensive approval process before printing. With new products, in the absence of an off-tool production version for primary photography, a prototype is used to create all art work since the package has to be ready when the product is. Chances are that subsequent Alpha MPCs will have a final product pictured on the box as they will have more lead time to create the artwork. ;)

I also would like to know if the Alpha Super Posables are the same size as this transforming Alpha. Trying to budget and I can have the whole set since I'll just buy one of the transforming versions and surround it with the super posables.

Acordingly with this line art, the Alpha does have the Ronald McDonald feet, so I'm not concerned about that. And as I said in the MPC thread, the small size just makes it more easy to play with (try to make your 1/48's fly across the room in battroid mode with the faspacks on and you'll know what I mean). I love size like everybody else here, but what makes me want the Alpha more than anything else is the idea of play with it more than display it. :D

post-26-1089660825.jpg

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

Acordingly with this line art, the Alpha does have the Ronald McDonald feet, so I'm not concerned about that. And as I said in the MPC thread, the small size just makes it more easy to play with (try to make your 1/48's fly across the room in battroid mode with the faspacks on and you'll know what I mean). I love size like everybody else here, but what makes me want the Alpha more than anything else is the idea of play with it more than display it. :D

Yeah, but 1/48 scale would've been about the size of a 1/55 and justified the $80 price tag.

Yeah, but 1/48 scale would've been about the size of a 1/55 and justified the $80 price tag.

What justifies the price in my case is the good quality (now that I've learn that it does have good quality) and the limited quantities, not to mention there's not too many Alphas-Legioss to choose from. Not that I'm willing to pay 80 smakers for a 6 inch toy, but like somebody here said: most people here have paid more for less at some point.

yes the gun mounts on either side... wonder if we can do a gun recast to get a double mounted Alpha.

Capital idea, sir! I would definately buy a second gun if someone were to recast it.

Someone definately needs to recast the guns so we can do some John Woo poses.

How is the posability by the way?

Side by side with the 1J MPC you can really see the difference in effort and quality this time around. If the trend continues Toynami could be a contender after all. Their Inu Yasha figures came out looking pretty good as well. I want to see how the Chobits ones come out.

Also the one thing that makes it less than perfect transformation is that the shoulder mounted antenna during Fighter has to be removed... oh well... that's fine by me..

What do you mean?

the antenna, the little white device on the shoulder of the Alpha on Soldier mode, doesn't fit inside the center section during fighter mode, hence... it has to be removed...

Is that a hatch on the back of the lower torso/crotch area? If it is, what is it for? Room for the canopy in bot mode? Beta hookup in bot mode?

I assume its a dress-up hatch to clean up the look in armo-fighter and armo-diver modes and still allow for the canopy in armo-soldier mode. It is a definite improvement over the yawning hole in the 1/48 IMAI kit.

Every time I look at the posted pictures I realize that Toynami has put a lot of thought into this minuscule triple changer.

looks promissing.

Based on the comparisson shot with a 1/48 valk, these would be about the same size as the alpha superposables. They may actualy be small enough that my wife will not notice it in my display... hehe...

Edited by Montarvillois

I am really jealous of you SoCal'ers again, were I still in Pomona I would have been able to come see all the goodies in person.

Really neat that the Robotech crew was able to bring out their new toy for a preview too, who knows, maybe someday we will all look back on the licensing debacle and laugh :)

Anyhow, looks like Toynami may be on the right track with the Alpha, I mayhave missed it, but I read that there is a miniature cyclone that fits in the alpha. Non-poseable, just a little piece of plastice detail really. Was that on or in the alhpa at the Con?

I am really jealous of you SoCal'ers again, were I still in Pomona I would have been able to come see all the goodies in person.

Really neat that the Robotech crew was able to bring out their new toy for a preview too, who knows, maybe someday we will all look back on the licensing debacle and laugh :)

Anyhow, looks like Toynami may be on the right track with the Alpha, I mayhave missed it, but I read that there is a miniature cyclone that fits in the alpha.  Non-poseable, just a little piece of plastice detail really.  Was that on or in the alhpa at the Con?

it was shown at the AX. It has a little cyclone figure with removable cyclone/backpack. It's a cool little addition to the toy! I believe it's in one of the pictures in the official MPC thread, one of the later pages. :p:D:lol:

Better yet, here's the link to the picture with the little figure and cyclone/backpack:

Cyclone figure

Edited by BoBe-Patt

Is that a hatch on the back of the lower torso/crotch area? If it is, what is it for? Room for the canopy in bot mode? Beta hookup in bot mode?

I am guessing that will be used to store the mini cyclone figure.

In the Gakken model, it was left as an open empty space. :)

nope... it's not in there...

it was a question I asked Tom Bateman and that's what he told me.

Yeah, it was the one thing that we didn't get to see because Tom didn't want to take it out of the packaging.

Oh and the cyclone was a pretty cool idea. It does take some close looking at though in order to realize what it is.

I'm very glad to see that the production version of the Alpha made such a great impression...

It's pretty damn small, but from what some of you said, it appears to still be a quality production piece... I will keep my preorder. :D

What about the "book" package though?? I thought these were supposed to be green? I'm kinda bummed about the blue... I really liked the green.. <_<

Well I'm really looking forward to getting this now...

And, as much as I don't want to sound too cheesy here... PLEASE keep buying these Alphas up so Toynami makes a linkable Beta... I emailed them recently about it, and they told me that if Alpha sales are good, then there is a VERY good chance we will see a Beta... However, they said IF it happens, not to expect it for at least another 2 years.

I'm very glad to see that the production version of the Alpha made such a great impression...

It's pretty damn small, but from what some of you said, it appears to still be a quality production piece... I will keep my preorder. :D

What about the "book" package though?? I thought these were supposed to be green? I'm kinda bummed about the blue... I really liked the green.. <_<

Well I'm really looking forward to getting this now...

And, as much as I don't want to sound too cheesy here... PLEASE keep buying these Alphas up so Toynami makes a linkable Beta... I emailed them recently about it, and they told me that if Alpha sales are good, then there is a VERY good chance we will see a Beta... However, they said IF it happens, not to expect it for at least another 2 years.

Actually, the book style cases for the Alphas are a greenish color. It is definitely not blue.

-K

What? That little lump of plastic actually attaches to the pilot figure?

Either way, I'm really impressed with this toy. More pics!

No, it doesn't attach to the pilot. It's just a detailed lump of plastic that reprsents the folded up cyclone that's stored in the alpha.

Thanks for all the previews, guys! :D

I can now rest easy knowing that the $80 price is justifiable(sp?). :p

But I'm still in shock of it's small size. I have to agree with Lonely Soldier Boy though:

And as I said in the MPC thread, the small size just makes it more easy to play with (try to make your 1/48's fly across the room in battroid mode with the faspacks on and you'll know what I mean). I love size like everybody else here, but what makes me want the Alpha more than anything else is the idea of play with it more than display it. :D

Because it's in the same size catagory(sp?) as my G1 Transformers, I'll be more inclined to play with it, than display it.

its so tiny. $80? :unsure:

arhhh why do you guys say tiny. it is to scale!!!! well anyway EXO are you sure about the gun being able to mount on both sides? I thought the gun only has mounting points on one side of the gun which makes it only able to attach on the left wing and left side of the gun. If it were placed on the right wing then the magazine of the gun would hit the body.

I dont know if this gun will be easy to recast as it has moving parts. both the stock and grip move/rotate on a pivot (independantly) plus I dont think toynami will be considerate enough to have the gun screw together. Kinda like trying to recast a Yamato gun. Not easily accomplished.

guys I wont buy this till like it gets discounted but nonetheless Irt looks very cool and I want. However I do not know much on the alpha compared to teh VF-1 so in general I must ask

1-the removeable part....a antenna? What is this for? Is it the head for battroid mode? Can you leave it off in battroiud without the robot looking funny?

2-DId bateman ever say why it was 80$?

3-were stickers already on the one he brought?

4-finger looseness.....more loooser than MPC VF-1 or tighter?

thanks.

Man, I wish EXO hadn't posted those pics of the IMAI kit next to the 1/48...

Though it proves that Toynami (for once) didn't just straight out rip off a pre-existing design, it also proves that the IMAI looks 50,000 percent better than that MPC.

Iunno, I think it looks kind of crappy, and is too itty bitty for my $80.00.

If it hits the clearance rack, then I'll buy one.

If my not buying it means that there are no Treads made, then...sorry guys.

That is the lamest excuse ever, buy crap so that we have enough money to make some other crap. No different than Yamato with their junky 1/100 VF-0 toys that I won't be buying either.

1-the removeable part....a antenna? What is this for? Is it the head for battroid mode? Can you leave it off in battroiud without the robot looking funny?

It's commonly refered to as the sensor pod, and yes if you wanted to to you could leave it off. It attaches to the flat swing plate that cover back gap in fighter. In Robotech terms that's was the major visual difference between low tech Sentinels Alphas and higher tech New Gen ones, the inclusion of the sensor pod. Some people think it clutters up the Alpha, others don't. It does make me wounder how tight the canopy is in the battloid gap if even if the sensor pod which does appear to have the folding boom/antenna that it needs to be removeable.

Cyc

post-26-1089678719.jpg