FAT WALLET BOYS

Renato

PRICE TALK.

OK, so let's go back to 1999. Here I am, reminiscing about how cool it would be to own all those old-school Transformers and Valkyries, but the price for these antiques was sky-high (which I could kind of understand since they are vintage items), and the prospect of reissues seemed so far away from reality.

Then Yamato and Toycom announce Macross Plus toys. I was shocked. Really, I didn't expect that (especially considering we were tallking about a 5-year-old liscence by that time, which had up to that point shunned most kinds of merchandising).

Now, price-wise: Y6,800 I considered it to be a little steep, especially after import tax and shipping. But we can appreciate the value in the quality of the workmanship, and there was a lot of die-cast content, in particular in the case of the Y/VF-19.

Now, slowly but surely, prices began to rise with the introduction of the 1/60 VF-1 line. Y7,800 became the standard.

And now we have the 1/48 line -- a toy almost totally devoid of die-cast parts, but which has enough features so that even Macross fans who have been collecting the 1/60 line will purchase it.

Now, I'm a Macross fan, but I'm heavily doubting the worth of the 1/48 in terms of money. There is no way that I am getting my Y15,000 worth of toy there. Not to mention that I only really start to properly appreciate the 1/48 when it's set up with FAST packs, which means by that point I am holding a Y20,000 (at least) toy. I can't even imagine a toy worth that amount of money. I mean, back when I was a kid, the more expensive toys were justified in their value by being either really big, or having many electronic features, or both. Even then I don't recall seeing any toys worth this much.

As shocked as I was when I initially saw prices for old-school diaclones and takatoku valks in the late 90s,

I am shocked now to see that this high-pricing trend has become THE NORM for NEW toys.

I bought a Masterpiece Convoy the other day. My friend (who has no interest in toys) was shocked that such an expensive toy (Y7000) existed. I didn't tell her about the 1/48s, though.

This brings me to my main point -- this general trend for expensive, adult-oriented toys aside, why are valkyries so bloody expensive in comparison??

Masterpiece Convoy has a removeable shining Matrix, plenty of in-built features, sturdy joints for extra poseability and "lastibility" and weighs a ton because of its die-cast content. Yet it's half the price of a 1/48 Valkyrie. WHERE IS THE EXTRA STUFF I AM PAYING FOR??

It's getting to be a more and more expensive hobby by the minute.... I think I'm close to trading in my member's card.

I mean, Chougoukin Tamashi Dancougar for Y19,000?? Are you sure it's not carved out of GOLD?? But at least you know you are getting Die-cast Galore with Chougoukin....

I don't think I'll be buying any more 1/48s. I have two, a low-vis and a Hikaru VF-1S, plus an FP set. I think I'll just stick to Binaltech TFs (and the good ones, not the crap ones like Hound) until the Koenig Monster comes around.

I'd appreaciate any views on this price-justification issue.

I have to agree with almost all of your points and views.

I love the MP-1 Prime, a real heavy die cast toy that is solid!

The 1/48's are the best Valks out today, but why are they $200 and not even diecast?

Could diecast be in the future for Yamato Valks?

Even if they were, if the plastic Valks are almost $200 (with FP's) today, if they were diecast imagine how much more they would be. Sigh..... :(

It is a VERY expensive hobby, but for some reason i am hooked.

Plastic is not worth this much money, yet i still pay it. :p

I think I'll just stick to Binaltech TFs (and the good ones, not the crap ones like Hound)

Is the Hound really crap? I thought it looked pretty cool when i saw pictures of it.

I guess the same can go for the PG model kits. The Perfect Grade Wing Gundam Zero Custom had no metal parts at all and it's worth the same amount as a 1/48 VF-1. I think most of the price goes into the designers and sculpters. By no means Yamato is as big as Bandai. Bandai pumps out so much stuff it's literally unbelievable. At least with Yamato you can keep track on most of their releases. I think the fact that Yamato is the only company releasing new Macross toys also has to do with them jacking up prices as well. All in all, Yamato is still a good company; there's no doubt about that. I really like all their other products like their Story Image line and PVC statues. The high price tag of the 1/48 VF-1 is basically the only thing keeping me away from them. I'd much rather buy a model kit or something else I know I'd appreciate more. Sure, I wouldn't mind having a 1/48, but I could live without one. I'm fine with the 3 1/60's and the 1/72 VF-11FP I already hav. I'll just wait for Yamato to make some other VF's because like most of us here are pretty much tired with the VF-1 and are ready for something new. I'm not "bagging" on the VF-1 at all, I feel it's a beautiful and timeless design. I just want more variety in my little collection (I guess that's why people bought all variants of the 1/60's). I'm happy that Yamato is releasing the VF-0 line and the variable Monster and would gladly pay full price for them, if I have to. Why? Because it's something different. Not just another "new and improved" on the original type of thing. As much as I love the VF-1, I can't bring myself to buy any more of them now. I might get a 1/48 VF-1S later on just because of one of my favorite VF's. I'll leave it at that....I'm too tired to keep ranting on right now :p

Edited by Dat Pinche Haro!

I agree too. Man, I hope I can afford to buy the Koenig without selling a kidney....

If these were like, limited edition toys with the chance of them rising in price over time because of rarity then maybe... but I need to eat too. lol Even then I'm not a collector anyway - I want to actually touch the darn things.

Oh and I don't think I speak for everyone.. but they should release the VF1D (I've always loved the fat head's look and the double visors, plus its chest is a little unique to the others heh) and brownie 1/48 VFs imo. For those that ARE buying them, let them, I say. For all those that are happy with 1/60s that's cool but there are some who saved up (by not buying any 1/60s jk) and kind of want to see a whole complete 1/48 set.

The transformable variable fighters are pretty much the main things I'm interested in. Still struggling to decide if I should get the Queadluun-Rau. Looks cool but pricey. And it's not the green one in the tv series..

Paint chips easily on diecast toys doesn't it? And the extra weight means increased chance of floppiness in limbs and less posability. If they could just lower the price on existing plastic toys that'd be cool.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

hmm, isn't the Yamato 1/48 around the same price as the MPC prime (JP ver)? Well, anyway, the main reason is because they CAN, but if they can get it to release in the US offically then the cost would be lower for sure. I mean just look at the price difference on the MPC Prime. Unitl then, the price is up to them to decide.

The difference comes in how many toys are made... a point that has repeatedly been made around here.

No one in their right minds could possibly think that the Transformers MP-1 didn't sell about 10-100x as many as any Yamato 1/48. The more you make of a toy, the lower the price. Yamato is only going to make as many as they think they can sell.

The Macross fandom is very, very small compared to Transformers, or even Gundam. This is pretty obvious.

As always, when complaining about price, one must consider the numbers of production as well as features, craftsmanship, etc.

And one should always keep in mind that if they feel a toy is too expensive, then do not buy it...

Yamato is a business and they are people working there trying to make money so that they can live their lives. This isn't public aid, nor a wish fulfillment center for rabid fanboys.

Edited by Blaine23

Eine minuten bitte....

Since when does a 1/48 cost $200.00? The absolute most I paid for any of mine was $169 or $179 and that was for the Max and Millia 1J's.

Why is it expensive? Partially, yes, because it CAN be. But partially because Yamato probably on their best day produces 1/1000th the number of toys that Bandai or Takara do. There are fewer 1/48's being made, and as such, the production value is higher to the manufacturer. It's pretty simple economics really.

Personally, I think it's amazing that a relative upstart, newcomer toy company could even make a toy like the 1/48.

What are you paying for? - sheesh, look at the freaking things! What more could you ask for? I suppose it would be nice if they flew, and with a pocket sized remote control, they would transform themselves, but other than that, you're really getting about all we could want from a Valkryie toy.

Also, keep in mind that there are only certain things Yamato CAN do with this design. UNLIKE the transformers, this has to actually look like a plane when it's not a robot. MP Prime is fantastic, I have one, but there are still some parts on him that just don't look right when he's in truck mode. That's always been the problem with the Transformers. They didn't have to be correct in vehicle mode, they just had to have 4 tires on the ground, and a steering wheel, and everyone went - OOOH, it's a car!!

And, I really hate this fascination people have with die cast. Let's get real people, Die Cast was big in the 80's for it's durability, but really is not a requirement anymore on today's toys.

Yeah, it's cool that MP Prime weighs a metric ton, but the die cast legs on the 1/60th Yammies only added to their craptastic lack of balance. I for one, love being able to admire my 1/48's without having to eat an energy bar before hand, if I want to hold it for more than 5 minutes. :lol:

I think the term toy can be a source of confusion. There are toys that are children's playthings. These are usually cheap and sturdy. There are also toys that are targeted for collectors. They may resemble children's toys to the casual observer, but they are really quite different. They are usually more detailed and they are not meant to be played with like a child's toy. In some cases they are closer to a model than to a toy. They also usually have a much smaller production run. This all influences the price (as does the target audience, competition, manufacturing complexity and a whole host of other factors).

Also, this is nothing new. Just ask a Barbie collector who is used to spending $200 for a doll that the average person would probably mistake for a $20 child's plaything.

Unfortunately collectibles are expensive.Take a look at the die-cast collectibles (some would call them toys) from Code 3 - $70 for a 1/64 Firetruck and $300 for an X-wing that is roughly the same size as a 1/48.

Well, let's look at it this way: Who else is making 1/48 Valks? No one. Ok, next question on broader terms: Who else is making Valks? Toynami/HG MPCs which are 1/55 and oh, MSRP $80. Now compare the 2: $120 1/48 (avg price w/o FP) or $80 MPC 1/55? 1/48 with fine detail and quality or 1/55 crap quality? Now dont get me wrong, MPCs are not that bad but 1/48 is way much better. The question comes down to which one do you want? Most fans have been pining over a nice detailed scaled and fully transformable Valk. Even better yet, the 1/60s were $80 when the 1/48s were released but you had to take the legs apart to transform the 1/60 Valk.

*snip* What more could you ask for?  I suppose it would be nice if they flew, and with a pocket sized remote control, they would transform themselves, *snip*

Yes yes! I want those features! :D I wonder how much technology will need to go into a fully self transforming toy (doesn't matter if it stands up at the end). :lol:

That will be a hell of a custom. :rolleyes:

theres no reason for the high price tag other than that what retailers/etailers are charging. yamato makes them, sells to retailers/etailers/distributors at a fixed price(distributors get slightly better price). they in turn mark it up as much as the market will bare.

they get this info from fan sites such as this one and other price gauging tools like ebay so they can charge the maximum amount for the toys they are trying to sell.

i.e. you ever go into a store and they got something for $100? then right down the street, another store has the same thing for $75?

basically i don't blame yamato at all for the high price tag, i blame retailer/etailers. but hey, they aren't in it for the money, they're just fans like us right? <_< personally, i buy from people/vendors who i know aren't making money hand over fist but doing it for the love....oh, and if they're having a sale or something. :D

so to answer your question,

there is no real reason that a 1/48 costs so much other than sellers are in it for the money.

so to answer your question,

there is no real reason that a 1/48 costs so much other than sellers are in it for the money.

True dat.

It's also called basic capitalism. Or making a living. You expect these guys to provide you with something for free? ;)

That is definitely a component to the higher price of Yamato toys.

There's basically 5 groups you pick to blame for the cost of Macross toys -

1. The company that makes them (Yamato)

2. The shipping cost of having to get them from overseas, since they are not made for any market outside of Japan. (you can blame Harmony Gold for this - or blame Big West for ever signing any kind of contract w/ Tatsunoko)

3. The retailer/e-tailer who dares to sell you the toy and dares to make a profit for all of his/her hard work AND monetary risk.

5. The millions of people across the world who aren't into Macross toys (This is Macross - not Gundam, Transformers, or Dragonball Z. Accept it and move on with life.)

4. Yourself for buying them.

I'd say to anyone that's seriously complaining here - pick Option 5. If the toys cost too much for you, look for deals on used toys or overstocked 1/60's that can be had cheaply. Again, it's not like you're being overcharged for something that you actually need.

The 1/48 is a collector's market toy... not necessarily for everyone.

Edited by Blaine23

Back in good old 1985 $30 was ALOT of money for a toy

so was $10 allowance a month

you could buy a good car below $10,000

and a $20,000 income a year was a modest salary

strange how some forget those things

Now: would someone explain why I pay $40+ for a 20 year old design of a

Super 1S? (bandai)

Since when does a 1/48 cost $200.00? The absolute most I paid for any of mine was $169 or $179 and that was for the Max and Millia 1J's.

Uh i mentioned it WTH Fast packs.

Average fastpack set is about $60-$70, along with a 1/48 Valk to make it complete can be up to $200.

Sure the M&M's are cheaper as the armor come with them. (At some places)

I have atually seen several shops selling the M&M's for $215 each!

What a rip!

To get a complete set (1/48 & Parts) "can" cost around $200.

That was my point, of course you can get it cheaper if you shop around and do enough research.

IMO the 1/48's look to be worth about $100 WITH fast packs, and the 1/60 i feel are worth about $50 with armor as well.

The MPC, should be a $30 toy.

Now i know they cost more, and i do pay it becuase i love these toys.

And yes i know people have to eat and make a living etc...

This is just what i feel the toys are actually worth, yet i still pay the higner price becuase they are just so awesome!!!

Maybe if there was some competition and they over produced these Valks they could actually be these prices.

Well, one can dream can't he......... :p

you want to hear the saddest thing ever? My wife surprised me on Father's Day (yep my first one, my boy is 3 months old) with a 40 gig IPod, and you know what I thought? "Man, I could have gotten BOTH Minmay Guard Types customized in 1/48! Maybe I'll return this Ipod for the cheap version, and still buy a VF-1J 1/48 for customizing into the Paris Moon Minmay..."

Knock some sense into me, folks. Or am I preaching to the converted?

you want to hear the saddest thing ever? My wife surprised me on Father's Day (yep my first one, my boy is 3 months old) with a 40 gig IPod, and you know what I thought?  "Man, I could have gotten BOTH Minmay Guard Types customized in 1/48!  Maybe I'll return this Ipod for the cheap version, and still buy a VF-1J 1/48 for customizing into the Paris Moon Minmay..."

Knock some sense into me, folks.  Or am I preaching to the converted?

i'd keep the Ipod hands down.

i mean its your/planets entire music collection ready to go anywhere you go. bring a valk to play with on a road trip/flight is not the same as having some rocking tunes where ever you go, for the rest of your life. 40 gigs, thats how many songs? how many albums?

if you'd like, i literally just got a 1/48 Super 1J hikaru yesterday if you want to trade for the IPOD. :D

you want to hear the saddest thing ever? My wife surprised me on Father's Day (yep my first one, my boy is 3 months old) with a 40 gig IPod, and you know what I thought?  "Man, I could have gotten BOTH Minmay Guard Types customized in 1/48!  Maybe I'll return this Ipod for the cheap version, and still buy a VF-1J 1/48 for customizing into the Paris Moon Minmay..."

i mean its your/planets entire music collection ready to go anywhere you go. bring a valk to play with on a road trip/flight is not the same as having some rocking tunes where ever you go, for the rest of your life. 40 gigs, thats how many songs? how many albums?

if you'd like, i literally just got a 1/48 Super 1J hikaru yesterday if you want to trade for the IPOD. :D

Yep i guess you are right. this thing is holding 1300+ songs of mine so far, and it only used up 2 gigs. what do i do with the rest of the 38 gigs? ugh!

I guess the same can go for the PG model kits. The Perfect Grade Wing Gundam Zero Custom had no metal parts at all and it's worth the same amount as a 1/48 VF-1.

What are you talking about, there where several metal parts in that kit. Most of them where part of the internal skeleton. They had to be metal becuase the thing had to have some sort of good support to keep it all togeather. also the feathers that attach to the wings where all metal as well. Also not to mention the wiring for the lights in the head and chest. Great kit by the way, I will get around to building it some day.

Interesting that no one's mentioned that the prices are based on the Japanese economy and not the US. The simple fact is that some things cost more in Japan than they do in the US. Anyone who's imported Japanese DVDs can tell you that (compare $20.00 for a disc to 4,000+ yen).

Yep i guess you are right. this thing is holding 1300+ songs of mine so far, and it only used up 2 gigs.  what do i do with the rest of the 38 gigs? ugh!

download, download, and download, thats what i'd do, til my ears hurt and my eyes bleed. :p

there so many good songs out there, from the oldies to 50 cent and everything inbetween. i'd go to each of my friends houses and then my friends friends houses, maybe my folks, maybe some of my friends folks that might have the ill music collection and go friggin nuts! :blink:

This again? Hell, I might as well just put this in my signature. . .

Basic economics.  The market drives the price.  It's priced that way because we're willing to pay it.  It's the classic balancing act. . . find a price point where a lot of people buy it. . . not so high that too many are turned off. . . not so low that you're selling lots of them for next-to-nothing.

If some seller prices it too high, we'll go elsewhere.  If someone prices it too low, he'll sell out quickly and not make as much as he could have. . . leaving his competition to make more by selling what he has at a higher price. (which is a recipe for having your business fail).

Finally, don't make the mistake of thinking that a product's price is based on how much it costs the manufacturer to produce that item.  That is only a minor consideration (in that it sets a price floor in most cases).  The price of an item is set by the market, not by its production costs.

But to expand a bit on this: The kids of yesterday who had to depend on their frugal parents to shell out $10 for a toy are now the (proudly) geeky adults of today with, in many cases, a lot of disposable income. We now see toys that we would have killed for as children. . . but we now have our own paychecks. . . and no parents to say no. That leads to expensive "collectible toys" like the Yamato 1/48s.

It's a free market, people. And a free market is both very simple and infinitely complex. And, in my opinion, no amount of secrecy, collusion, or censorship is going to keep sellers from figuring out what to charge us for these toys.

Yep i guess you are right. this thing is holding 1300+ songs of mine so far, and it only used up 2 gigs. what do i do with the rest of the 38 gigs? ugh!

Dude, I'd probably hand over at least 2 of my 1/48's before I let someone touch my 40GB Nomad (like iPod, only bigger and IMHO, better). Seriously, I don't think I could live without it anymore.

Of course I'm currently rocking about 250 albums, 5000 misc songs, and 10 audiobooks on mine. I don't think I could give mine up. Unless of course I upgraded to a 60GB sometime soon.

Of course you're talking to a musician and former music store manager with close 4000 CDs on his shelf. I'm not even going to go into all my old vinyl... :D

Back in good old 1985 $30 was ALOT of money for a toy

so was $10 allowance a month

you could buy a good car below $10,000

and a $20,000 income a year was a modest salary

strange how some forget those things

Now: would someone explain why I pay $40+ for a 20 year old design of a

Super 1S? (bandai)

Let me help you out on this Nightbat®. Think about what you've said. In 1985 $30 was a lot for a toy. It is not a lot for a toy today. If you're paying about $40+ for that same type of toy today, it's like paying about $10 back then. Also, nobody forces you to pay $40+ for a Bandai, right? Obviously, if the design is 20+ and you're interested in paying for it, that means that you don't mind the old design. As a consumer you should pay for the quality of the product. When you want quality, you want Bandai. ;)

Let me help you out on this Nightbat®. Think about what you've said. In 1985 $30 was a lot for a toy. It is not a lot for a toy today. If you're paying about $40+ for that same type of toy today, it's like paying about $10 back then. Also, nobody forces you to pay $40+ for a Bandai, right? Obviously, if the design is 20+ and you're interested in paying for it, that means that you don't mind the old design. As a consumer you should pay for the quality of the product. When you want quality, you want Bandai. ;)

nah, it was just an example

you said it yourself $40 for a toy is not much by today's standard

but it is a 20 year old design

if you start to compare that to a $170+ new/larger/more detailed toy

don't you think that that price isn't as high as it seems?

if the 1/55 were a new design -the 1/48 didn't exist- and released today I'd put it

somewhere in the pricerange of $100

Sounds idiotic, but that are todays standards

that's why I don't understand the pricebitching

candy isn't 1 ct anymore, times change

1/55's were expensive then, 1/48's now!

Yamato and Bandai are not stupid. I'm sure the fact that people were willing to shell out HUNDREDS for a broke-ass Jetfire or Joons knock off on auction sites had a lot to do with their new toys and reissues. Just be glad that you can get a modern 1/48 for what a yellowed, incomplete vintage toy would have cost you 4 or 5 years ago on a good day, when someone didn't snipe your bid at the last second.

This should really be a pinned topic.. usually it happens whenever a new toy is released by yamato....

Really, companies do not have to justify their prices to the consumers... I don't know or understand this mode of thinking, that somehow manufacturers, resellers, should price their wares at the cost of manufacturing. How in the world would these companies grow?

also, if you think you're buying thes toys as an investment, you're probably kidding yourself... the reason why all those old toys are worth so much is because people back then didn't think of them as collectors items.. they got them and trashed them, only a few people held onto them in good condition. It's not because of the value of the cheap tin or zinc alloys that those toys were stamped out of.

BTW... a yamato VF-1 is way more complicated in terms of parts, detail and posability than the MPC convoy.

:p

Hell just do some shoping around, I get my 1/48s for about $95.00 each.

Let's see. . .

Hikaru- VF-1A+S= 2

Roy- VF-1S= 1

Max- VF-1A= 1

Low Vis VF-1A= 2

Total= $570

VF-1J FP sets $145 each

Hikaru VF-1J(FP)= 1

Max VF-1J(FP)= 1

Millia VF-1J(FP)= 1

Total= $435

And I have about 9 FP Kits at about $55 each

Total= $495

Bottomline total $1560 :o

If you look at the big picture, of what could've been (the old 1/55s) that's cheap. . . :lol:

Now if we go in to 1/60s

I lose count (at least one of each) B))

At about $55 each. . .

:( (I wish I were home to see them) :(

But you have to remember I picked them up first hand at TRU Japan. . .

Just shop around, and the prices will drop. . .

Hell, I used to sell here on MW at TRU Japan prices. . .

:D:D:D:D

Interesting that no one's mentioned that the prices are based on the Japanese economy and not the US. The simple fact is that some things cost more in Japan than they do in the US. Anyone who's imported Japanese DVDs can tell you that (compare $20.00 for a disc to 4,000+ yen).

Very true. The dollar is weak vs the yen right now. There was an article I read in the paper awhile back stating that Tokyo is the most expensive city for Americans to visit. London was second.

Another thing to remember is that the toy price, espiceilly for Macross, is controlled by HK sellers. They know very well that Macross items can not be directly imported into US. Hence, they have advantage against biggest cunsumer mkt.

HK sellers can buy Macross items from gray market for fairly cheap and price it little under what retail yen price is and sell on Ebay and etc. (Of course with inflated shipping cost).

There are few other factors, but it can go on and on.

Interesting that no one's mentioned that the prices are based on the Japanese economy and not the US.  The simple fact is that some things cost more in Japan than they do in the US.  Anyone who's imported Japanese DVDs can tell you that (compare $20.00 for a disc to 4,000+ yen).

Very true. The dollar is weak vs the yen right now. There was an article I read in the paper awhile back stating that Tokyo is the most expensive city for Americans to visit. London was second.

Yeah. Bloody Tokyo. Bloody London.

Yeah, but to be fair, only the marginal "otaku" areas are really pumped up in price. I mean, check out the OAVs, they're Y4000 or Y5000 for 30 minutes of crap. DYRL is an unbelievable Y8000!! Meanwhile, regular MAINSTREAM movies will not be more than Y3000, often double-disc and with extras.

I suppose it boils down to the fact that we are dealing in the fanboy zone where people will pay whatever price they're asked, something that wouldn't normally occur in the mainstream.

You could argue that Macross shows its relative unpopularity by its unjustified prices. Slightly more recognisable brands such as TFs and Dragonball toys which are more affordable in contrast.