Harmony Gold's DYRL official DYRL site?

There is not much I can say until I see solid product rolling off assembly lines. We all remember the Sunwards website place holder... perhaps this is just a HG "retaliation" in like sort. They are moving forward with their agenda just as Yamato and BW were. All I smell in this whole thing is perhaps another pending legal clash.

Then again I myself am torn with all of this... on one hand you have a nice high quality R1 release of DYRL with the promise of extra features and good subtitles... but on the other hand you have the promise of another HG blockade rearing it's ugly head. I have no quams against HG holding whatever rights they want in the states and distributing whatever butchered or unbutchered material they have... it's when they start telling me what quality products I and retailers I support can and cannot import is when I get all bent out of shape.

seems like aod is down for me to try to confirm this find.

At any rate and just to assume that the speculation is true, i'm not that hostile to HG finally bringing DYRL over here at R1. Wish it was Bandai or Geneon, but oh well.

What I'm most concern about is ADV. They got Macek working there now. I don't know if they'll have him or another ADV-asshat do a frakking re-write again on it.

Add to the fact that ADV's dub-actors this year are pathetic lamers who couldn't vocalize a hamster-voice inside a paperbag.

damn. this is gonna be really interesting if DYRL is really coming stateside.

There is not much I can say until I see solid product rolling off assembly lines. We all remember the Sunwards website place holder... perhaps this is just a HG "retaliation" in like sort. They are moving forward with their agenda just as Yamato and BW were. All I smell in this whole thing is perhaps another pending legal clash.

Then again I myself am torn with all of this... on one hand you have a nice high quality R1 release of DYRL with the promise of extra features and good subtitles... but on the other hand you have the promise of another HG blockade rearing it's ugly head. I have no quams against HG holding whatever rights they want in the states and distributing whatever butchered or unbutchered material they have... it's when they start telling me what quality products I and retailers I support can and cannot import is when I get all bent out of shape.

Translation - "Stay away from my Yamato toys and I don't really care what you do, HG"

Or at least that's how I feel about it. This definitely does smell a bit like Sunwards... the funny thing is that both of these companies do this stuff - announce something, put up a website, ads... then one stops the other, but behind the scenes.

Basically we all sit around watching, speculating, arguing... and we never really see what happens.

It sure would be cool if either the two companies learned to play nice, destroyed one another, or openly explained exactly what the deal is with this wacky licensing fued they got.

Like that's gonna happen. :lol:

Ok, for anyone interested. I started a thread over at the relatively-neutral but industry-influential animeondvd.com

http://forums.animeondvd.com/showflat.php?...sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Oughta get more exposure and industry-pressure there than here for this issue.

Has Graham or anybody contacted BigWest or Yamato-toys regarding this yet-another-HG-(mis)adventure, yet?

Maybe A7 here can post this macrossmovie-issue up at ANN site, too. We need escalation on this, imho.

Edited by treatment

I just want to point out that this thread was about information until your post. If any RT-related flame wars start from this, it was your doing. Your post was meant to cause an arguement. Please leave it alone. If you want to add to the discussion, go right ahead. Leave your thoughts as to the nature of thte people on this board out of it.

thats totally laughable. we both know it would have happened regardless of cory posting (and since it was the second or third post in the thread you can't very well claim things were going along fine until he came along).

my advice - if you want a more sensible discussion without the meaningless bashing stick to the AOD forums.

I am curious why there's all this dub talk. HG hasn't dubbed any of the original anime used for RT - Mospeada, Southern Cross, or TV Macross - I don't see why they would here.

Well, you could consider Robotech a dub on top of a mangling.

Something tells me that if they release DYRL in the states, it will be dubbed. I for one, hope that they get all-new voice actors if they do so.

And, I'm on board with the "a dubbed or R1 DVD release would be great. More power to them. Please just don't f- with my Yamato toys!"

Yes, we all hate HG for what they did to Macross originally. . . blah blah blah. But let's also be able to appreciate what they might do right in the future.

In fact, if they do release DYRL without RT-ing it to death, I think it might be a small step towards redeeming themselves and recognizing their mistakes. . . as was their allowing the Animeigo DVDs.

H

I just want to point out that this thread was about information until your post. If any RT-related flame wars start from this, it was your doing. Your post was meant to cause an arguement. Please leave it alone. If you want to add to the discussion, go right ahead. Leave your thoughts as to the nature of thte people on this board out of it.

thats totally laughable. we both know it would have happened regardless of cory posting (and since it was the second or third post in the thread you can't very well claim things were going along fine until he came along).

my advice - if you want a more sensible discussion without the meaningless bashing stick to the AOD forums.

Check out the $&@# on this kid! Hey Spider, this is for you! [tosses money on the table] That's the way! You don't take no &*@# from nobody!

not sure if you're complimenting me or flaming me. at any rate i'm not kid, i've been here for quite some time (the stats are a bit skewed due to the forum switch over), and i'm quite comfortable with my views and opinions.

Edited by MrDisco

More often than not the subject of RT bashing is brought up by the RT crowd.

You know Super O is right, you need to stop your crying and go to the gym. I wont bother to read your loser replies... You can just hear me now and remember me later.

Check out the $&@# on this kid! Hey Spider, this is for you! [tosses money on the table] That's the way! You don't take no &*@# from nobody!

LOL

I am curious why there's all this dub talk.  HG hasn't dubbed any of the original anime used for RT - Mospeada, Southern Cross, or TV Macross - I don't see why they would here.

Well, you could consider Robotech a dub on top of a mangling.

Something tells me that if they release DYRL in the states, it will be dubbed. I for one, hope that they get all-new voice actors if they do so.

And, I'm on board with the "a dubbed or R1 DVD release would be great. More power to them. Please just don't f- with my Yamato toys!"

Yes, we all hate HG for what they did to Macross originally. . . blah blah blah. But let's also be able to appreciate what they might do right in the future.

In fact, if they do release DYRL without RT-ing it to death, I think it might be a small step towards redeeming themselves and recognizing their mistakes. . . as was their allowing the Animeigo DVDs.

H

True dat, but I was trying to point out that their last dub occurred about 20 years ago. ;)

And as usual, I don't care whether it's dubbed or not anyway. DVDs have this cool button on the remote that allows me to ignore any bad dubs. :)

And Disco - Ewilen was praising your chutzpah a la Goodfellas. No offense was meant, I'm sure.

No HG wouldn't dub DYRL... that would cost money... they're here to make a buck, not spend it. All their merchandise are wildly overpriced, if they dubbed DYRL it would end up to be 89.99 a disk during pre-order, then they'll push the release date one year passed the original promised date, just in time for the 21st year anniversary... :rolleyes:

Hmph............. don`t you think that they might even buy the molds from Bandai to make their own VF-`s ?!

Considering they already have the MPCs which they have billed as being superior. . . not likely.

H

No HG wouldn't dub DYRL... that would cost money... they're here to make a buck, not spend it.

Well, if their marketing shows that they'd sell "oodles" (a technical marketing term) more if they invested in a dub, they'd do it, I'd bet.

I could be very wrong, because I avoid HG like the plague. . . but do they have any record of releasing un-dubbed anime other than their peripheral involvement in the Animeigo DVDs?

H

No HG wouldn't dub DYRL... that would cost money... they're here to make a buck, not spend it.

Well, if their marketing shows that they'd sell "oodles" (a technical marketing term) more if they invested in a dub, they'd do it, I'd bet.

How much are you willing to bet?

I'll bet with you.

I'll bet with you.

I'll bet you, Agent One, one shiney doorknob that --if Harmoney Gold releases a R1 DVD for DYRL-- that said DVD will have an english dub.

H

I'll bet with you.

I'll bet you, Agent One, one shiney doorknob that --if Harmoney Gold releases a R1 DVD for DYRL-- that said DVD will have an english dub.

H

How about for money?

Hurin, the HG-licensed ADV versions of Mospeada and Southern Cross were also released un-dubbed. Dunno about anything else they may have done. Of course, the point of those two series (like the Animeigo Macross) was to capture the market consisting of people who really care about getting the unsullied originals; for the rest there is Robotech. I'm sure there are people who would like to see the originals without having to read subtitles, but I doubt there are very many for whom that's a dealbreaker.

Hard to say about DYRL, though.

How about for money?

How about you not take discussion board disagreements so seriously that you're willing to put money down on an entirely innocuous opinion?

In other words: Settle down, Sparky! :p

Really though, as such a "successful marketing professional", I'd think you'd agree that a company will do what will gain it the most profit. And, as I said, if an investment in a new dub would garner appreciably more sales and increase profits, I think they'll do it.

But, I really don't care enough about my opinion, or yours, to bet on it.

H

I'm sure there are people who would like to see the originals without having to read subtitles, but I doubt there are very many for whom that's a dealbreaker.

Hard to say about DYRL, though.

Well, I think we all just have varying opinions regarding how much demand there is for a decently dubbed DYRL. My own desire for one has so many caveats that I doubt it would ever come to pass.

For me, if it's yet another sub. . . even if it is "official" and R1, I'd probably pass unless the image quality is as good as the FX and the subtitles are better.

But if they dubbed it, and used different VA than Robotech, and the image was as good as the FX DVD, and the translation is good. . . then I'd go for it. But that's a lot of ands. . .

H

How about for money?

How about you not take discussion board disagreements so seriously that you're willing to put money down on an entirely innocuous opinion?

In other words: Settle down, Sparky! :p

Really though, as such a "successful marketing professional", I'd think you'd agree that a company will do what will gain it the most profit. And, as I said, if an investment in a new dub would garner appreciably more sales and increase profits, I think they'll do it.

But, I really don't care enough about my opinion, or yours, to bet on it.

H

Im not angry or excited I just figure I can take some cash from you... How about this:

If you win I'll give you $50... If I win I get your soul.

If you win I'll give you $50... If I win I get your soul.

Being a white man who can't dance, I can spare it.

H

Didn't ADV recently claim to be shortly announcing the release of a robot anime that fans would "lose control of their bowels over"? Would this not fit the bill quite nicely?

Good point...I'd had the same thoughts myself...which means most likely no AnimEigo remaster of whatever they get... :( Shin Kurokawa, why hast thou forsaken us?

Now, will ADV (if DYRL was what they menat by "bowel loosening") at least do us the favor of alternate angles for the title logo (like they did on some of their Dirty Pair and City Hunter titles--Original logo for sub and new logo for release)? If I have to look at another cheap ADV English-language overlay, there will be limbs removed, wailing and gnashing of teeth, crushing of flowers, incursions into Trebizond, the sacking of towns...wait a minute, that's my "to-do" list for tomorrow...I'm sorry :p

I'd like to think so too, but the reason that Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada didn't get dubbed was that HG specifically said not to -- that they considered RT to be the official English dub of the three shows and they didn;t want competing dubs. DYRL, which was never (and Hoary Froating Head willing, never will be) part of the RT continuity doesn't have that baggage attached.

If they do a dub, I kninda think:

Best: Dub with "name" stars and Macross names

2nd best: dub with good dub cast (Cowboy Bebop cast, for instance) and good dub direction with Macross names

3rd best: ditto, with RT names

worst: fly-by-night cast (or original RT cast) with RT names.

from experience, ADV will f*ck up the dub. Again.

Like they did to EVA, Nadesico, Azumanga Daioh, etc, etc, etc.

I'm more concern that ADV may/will do a script-rewrite, either by HG-request or by their own asshattedness. Macek do work for ADV (part-time or otherwise) and him being anywhere near Macross-titles does not sit well with me. At all.

Given the way that HG is marketing their DYRL products thus far, I doubt they'll rewrite it into Robotech continuity in any way.

Pay Payne: Not that I'd be likely to listen to the dub except for curiosity's sake, but I really don't see the attraction of "name" stars for the voice acting. In my experience few of them have brought anything to the package other than their names. I'm thinking of the three Disney/Ghibli releases in particular. Edit: make that "anything GOOD".

Notable exceptions are some comedic actors and people with truly distinctive voices for distinctive roles (like Kevin MacDonald and Isaac Hayes), but I can't think of anyone in Macross you'd need that for--except if they got a Minmay who could actually sing and make the original Macross melodies sound good with English lyrics.

Edited by ewilen